• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

banagher

Just find the largest tower/building with video power activated, get to the top and glide down making sure to pull back so you slow yourself down as you descend.

Alternatively you could also use
concrete
if you have it upgraded fully with the 3x jump.

It's a fairly simple trophy.

Mogwai

Finished the base game five minutes ago. Why Sucker Punch decided to
Augustine
as main villain is beyond my comprehension.
Hank
is really boring too.

RPGCrazied

Just got this for $30, but won't be able to play it until around Thanksgiving when I get a PS4.

Looks really good. How long does it take to 100%?

This game controls like a freaking dream. The action also incredible flash, although it actually feels less visceral than Infamous 2.

The two major bosses I've fought so far we extremely fun. They had a finesse to them that wasnt as dynamic as the bosses in Infamous 2. The experience is less fresh, though. Infamous 2 was one of the first open world console games I ever liked.

Just started playing this and I'm a bit upset. The HUD is freaking terrible and when I turn it off I'm suppose to just guess what the hell I have to do (as in learning new moves, etc.) Is there a point where the HUD becomes disposable?

Got this on the black Friday sale. Really loving the game so far, about about 5-6 hours in. Can't stop trying to clear out all of the districts. The setting is terrific. Characters aren't terrible.

What other games feature district/city clearing side missions like this one? Have loved the idea of taking over cities since the gang control side stuff in GTA: SA.

SystemUser

I began playing I:SS recently. Feels like it is shorter than I want it to be (I regret playing on normal). I feel like I always have too many shards. I gave the first Infamous two playthroughs so that I could experience every ability. I like the different elements, but it seems like each tree is more shallow due to having multiple elements. Being able to harness more than one element is cool, but I think I would have liked to see smoke/fire get a full game. Hopefully Sucker Punches next game is more packed with abilities.

I skipped Infamous 2 maybe I will try to find a copy, or I might try First Light or both. I am still a fan of the series, but I am glad I didn't pay full price for I:SS. It seems like I am not going to get as much play time as I got out of the Infamous. I think I would rather have not enough of a game that I like rather than too much of a game I don't like. Second Son was almost in the launch window for PS4 whereas Infamous came out three years after the PS3.

Got this on the black Friday sale. Really loving the game so far, about about 5-6 hours in. Can't stop trying to clear out all of the districts. The setting is terrific. Characters aren't terrible.

What other games feature district/city clearing side missions like this one? Have loved the idea of taking over cities since the gang control side stuff in GTA: SA.

Crackdown (X360) has a similar mechanic where you clear gangs from districts. Mercenaries 2 is hot garbage, but it had a similar mechanic too. I think that Shadow of Mordor has something that is sort of like it too. I only played one session of Mordor so far though. It kicked my ass, but I am pretty sure I was playing it incorrectly. I will go back to it soon.

SystemUser

I take back what I said about it not being worth $60. I paid a third of that, but wouldn't have felt ripped of if I paid full price. I finished the story, but I want to clear the city. I am not sure, if I will do a full evil playthrough. I wonder if I can flip my good gamesave to be evil.

For me the best part is the
video vs. concrete section of the Augustine
fight. It was the best use of 60 fps in the game. I wish it was a solid 60 fps during that whole section. The fluid motion of 60 fps makes that action really pop. I might be on my way to becoming a 60 fps snob.

On Demand

Banned
Just started the game. This has to be the best looking next gen game on any console. I'm constantly amazed at the way it looks. The IQ, animation, texture details, everything. UBI pls.

I'm having fun with the game play so far too.

Wunder

Hey guys, I just started playing this after having it on my backlog for ages, and it's been great so far. However with the PSN outage, I haven't been able to play Infamous. It loads up fine and goes through the logos but the second the red star from Sucker Punch disappears it goes into a black screen and nothing happens afterwards. I've searched online and it seems as if it does a small internet connection and won't load anything until it's been made. I definitely have an internet connection, so could this be related to the outage?

theapg

Hey guys, I just started playing this after having it on my backlog for ages, and it's been great so far. However with the PSN outage, I haven't been able to play Infamous. It loads up fine and goes through the logos but the second the red star from Sucker Punch disappears it goes into a black screen and nothing happens afterwards. I've searched online and it seems as if it does a small internet connection and won't load anything until it's been made. I definitely have an internet connection, so could this be related to the outage?

Settings- PSN- sign out. Just tried it and it worked for me.

2real4tv

Just finished...
should have killed that bi*ch thought there was a chance for a miracle
. Very goodhigh quality game as aways for SP they haven't failed me yet. The soundtrack is awesome too.

nikos

LTTP but I really enjoyed this game from start to finish. The story is good and visuals/audio are excellent. It also feels silky smooth and controls well. Traversing Seattle is never frustrating or awkward, each power works really well for mobility and also makes you feel bad ass. I went the good route but definitely want to experience some evil powers. I actually want to go back and do side missions/extras, and I'm not the type to do those things. Also, the boss battles were great!

Really looking forward to playing First Light now and hoping for additional DLC or another inFAMOUS. It would be really cool to see Eugene DLC
though it might not be too interesting considering he plays Heaven's Hellfire all day.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Got the game on Black Friday and started playing it a couple of days ago.
Really enjoying it, and liking it far more than 2 thus far. Also Neon powers are amazing, haven't switched back to Smoke since I got them, and seems like powers in this one will get a bit more crazy, since I just did the mission where Eugene calls you
and the helis and stuff where shot down by angels (wat), struck by some pixel-y/glitchy swords that remind me of Saints Row IV

Arondight

Finished the main story and pretty much unlocked all the powers for good karma. I enjoyed the story, I think the game was kind of fun. Visual was kind of amazing especially the sunset.

I kind of feel that the game didn't diifferentiate the powers enough.
In terms of my favourites,

Video>>>>>>>>>>>>smoke>neon>>>>>>>>>concrete.
Video was best transfersal, can easily subdue opponents while also having distractions, normal shooting is far better too and the sword feels far more powerful

Combat kind of feels repetitive due to the same animations. Wish they spiced it up in this area.

Side missions basically very little amount and were too short in length, not very interesting. Hope their next game improves in this area.

The enemies also get repetitive and annoying. I think the story driven part narrows this down quite a bit though wish they somehow spiced it up.

The song's playing were pretty good. The Bio-Terrorist Threat while you're in combat feels good.

Overall, a solid game, it can feel a bit tedious due to the very repetitive nature of it and lack of differentiation of nearly everything.

They've got something good here and hopefully there next game builds on it.

BraXzy

I've completed the game, really enjoyed it. Might post full thoughts on it another time.. had to pipe up in the OT though. I encountered two really weird glitches today. The first was a floating car, I think during a fight it got flung in the air but stayed there.. well when I shot at it, it started to float away Zero Grav style. I took some screens because it was so bizarre.

Second one just cropped up as I'm clearing out zones. There was a camera to destroy as one of the last things on the second to last zone. I check the feed, I figure out its rough position, look for it, re-look for it and then quadruple check. Turns out it was on a lampost that was invisible o_O I could climb up it and everything.

I tried using heavy attacks near where the invis lampost was to no avail, was about to give up when I tried one last thing. Orbital Drop sent it bye byes, wherever it was! :D

Radec

I fucking hated the camera controls on the photomode of this game. Turns me off on capturing its amazing visuals.

Why not just make it like you are flying or like what TLoU did.

Endo Punk

I completeled paper trail way back when the game came out but on my 2nd playthrough I can't get the game to continue with the paper trial, any reason why? It's not like I have to do all the web content again since it auto completes itself on each playthrough after you have initially finished it. Still I can't get the final part of part 1 to register online despite the website telling me I can continue to the next part of the game inside Second Son.

Am I the only one disappointed by the (lack of) reflections in this game? I hate getting real close to a shiny building only to find out I'm a ghost.

Melchiah

Am I the only one disappointed by the (lack of) reflections in this game? I hate getting real close to a shiny building only to find out I'm a ghost.

Yeah, that picked my eye as well. Particularly here:

ibvIqww9fPy3ti.jpg

Roubjon

Started really playing the game over the weekend and it's surprisingly super fun. I've never played an Infamous game before so it's all fresh to me. I've also pretty much avoided all open world games over the past 5 years so the whole run around and collect anything and do everything is addicting.

I got maxed out Neon Powers with negative Karma and I pretty much hate switching out to Smoke because I'm so goddamn slow. Running so fast and jumping between buildings is the best part of the game!

It also looks amazing, which I anticipated but didn't really know understand until I saw it. Gorgeous yo.

Only have Smoke and Neon powers, so I'm looking forward to seeing the other ones.

Radec

Started really playing the game over the weekend and it's surprisingly super fun. I've never played an Infamous game before so it's all fresh to me. I've also pretty much avoided all open world games over the past 5 years so the whole run around and collect anything and do everything is addicting.

I got maxed out Neon Powers with negative Karma and I pretty much hate switching out to Smoke because I'm so goddamn slow. Running so fast and jumping between buildings is the best part of the game!

It also looks amazing, which I anticipated but didn't really know understand until I saw it. Gorgeous yo.

Only have Smoke and Neon powers, so I'm looking forward to seeing the other ones.

Yeah Smoke is the shittest.

Neon is the 2nd fastest.

;)

hydruxo

Neon was my favorite. The 3rd power you get is very cool though, don't wanna spoil it for you if you haven't already seen it.

Roubjon

Got the third power yesterday and it's badass. I pretty much didn't see any footage of the game when it was releasing except the reveal trailers and stuff, so all of this is a surprise.

I got this last week and have put two or three hours in so far, as a side dish to my current main game Alien Isolation, when I need something with a bit more fun and levity. I'm really enjoying it; Delsin is a great character and the script is really witty - when he was climbing up the Space Needle and the old lady calls him and she says "Get me a postcard" and he says "Yeah... I'll... see if the gift shop is open", and the delivery was so excellent that I laughed out loud. The controls are great and I like the climbing although it can be a bit fussy sometimes. Very fun so far and the tech is just incredible. I'm constantly in awe of the particle effects.

Melchiah

Yeah Smoke is the shittest.

Neon is the 2nd fastest.

;)

Smoke works well in the
video
boss fight, as it's easier to dash over the
lava
. I think the fight was easier with the smoke powers, eventhough I played the second time on hard.

HTupolev

Most of the time you'll have solid 60fps, but in combat or when you're among lots of action it often dips.
What? Game spends most of its time milling about the 30's and 40's, and can even dip into the 20s (it's fairly obvious that some frames take longer than 33ms, since you get occasional drops even if you cap to 30fps). According to DF's First Light analysis, their playtime with Second Son saw an average of 36fps. The constant judder caused by slightly-above-30fps rates is why they implemented the optional 30fps cap, just like with KZSF.

To be a mostly solid 60fps with occasional dips, it would have to perform twice as well as it does.

Fair enough. Maybe because I've spent a disproportionate amount of time climbing up, running around the rooftops and admiring the views. It's noticeably smooth when you're not in combat, and particularly on top of buildings.

HTupolev

Fair enough. Maybe because I've spent a disproportionate amount of time climbing up, running around the rooftops and admiring the views. It's noticeably smooth when you're not in combat, and particularly on top of buildings.
It really isn't. The only time it hits anything resembling a clean 60fps is when I'm literally just staring at the skybox with basically nothing in view. It doesn't take much cityscape in view to cause the stutters to show up, and when I'm actually looking across the buildings with them significantly in view, the framerate feels like it's generally in the 30s and low 40s.

So unlimited means 40 FPS? Is that good even though it is not 60 FPS? I mean, higher than 30 FPS is better even if it is not 60 FPS?
Not exactly. Since the video signal is locked at 60Hz (16ms frame intervals), feeding something between 30 and 60 to it (vsync'd) means that frames have to get spat out with very uneven timing. One frame might be up for 16ms, the next for 33ms, resulting in a juddery appearance. How problematic this is depends on your tolerance to that sort of thing.

For Second Son, most people seem to prefer unlocked. Personally, the 30fps cap felt a little heavy at first, but once I'd gotten used to it I somewhat prefer it.

Not exactly. Since the video signal is locked at 60Hz (16ms frame intervals), feeding something between 30 and 60 to it (vsync'd) means that frames have to get spat out with very uneven timing. One frame might be up for 16ms, the next for 33ms, resulting in a juddery appearance. How problematic this is depends on your tolerance to that sort of thing.

For Second Son, most people seem to prefer unlocked. Personally, the 30fps cap felt a little heavy at first, but once I'd gotten used to it I somewhat prefer it.

So basically, it can fluctuate between 30 - 60 FPS. Sometimes it is 30 FPS. Sometimes it is between 30 - 60 FPS. And sometimes it is at 60 FPS?

Does anyone reckon Sucker Punch Productions next game could be a 60 FPS open world game? Considering this game can go higher than 30 FPS. Although I understand that it is not a "60 FPS" game.

I heard God of War games were 40 FPS.

It really isn't. The only time it hits anything resembling a clean 60fps is when I'm literally just staring at the skybox with basically nothing in view. It doesn't take much cityscape in view to cause the stutters to show up, and when I'm actually looking across the buildings with them significantly in view, the framerate feels like it's generally in the 30s and low 40s.

Fair enough dude, I honestly thought it felt more consistent than that, but I don't tend to be very sensitive to frame rates unless they're really juddery or really low.

Anyway, I've finished all the side missions on the first island and I'm now proceeding with the story missions. Honestly, I prefer just being able to enjoy the environment without having to worry about fighting the DUPs, although despite that I usually cannot turn down attacking an APC or drug deal. Done a couple of missions with Fetch now, and I've spent a fair bit of time fannying around chasing trophies. I'm really enjoying it overall, and the environment and powers are a lot of fun.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Is it normal to die fairly easy in this game ? A couple of shots and I'm dead. And that dying grey screen is just horrible.

Is it normal to die fairly easy in this game ? A couple of shots and I'm dead. And that dying grey screen is just horrible.

Initially, yes. Delsin can dish out a lot of damage but can't take much. I spend probably a third of any battle running away either to find an energy source, a vent to shoot up or somewhere to hide to recover a little.

So, I have a question about the cutscene after Delsin has a showdown with
Augustine on the bridge

How/why does he fly over the city? She coats him in concrete - which kind of felt like bollocks because he's demonstrated that he 'disassembles' when he dashes with his powers, so how did she encase him this time? Also, does she cover him in concrete and then throw him over the the second island? If so, why? I mean, I'm assuming Augustine wants to destroy him, and if she had him captured why not finish him there and then?

Also, I like how the powers are not traditional superhero abilities in this game, i.e. smoke, concrete,
neon
video
etc (I don't know the final power yet). It's just a little detail, but feels a bit more interesting than super-strength, fire, flight, etc.

As much as people bitch about DLC it really bums me out that this game only got paper trail. Wasn't Festival of Blood pretty much loved by everyone?

It baffles me why they went stand alone with First Light and that was it basically.

This was a game I would have gladly paid a season pass for or $15 dlc to flesh it out.

Top Bottom