• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Confirms Wolverine Game Is Set in the Same Universe as Spider-Man 2

ProtoByte

You misread what I said my man. I'm hoping it is a kick ass game minus all the political nonsense. That's why I said "wokeverine", not wolverine.
Cognitive dissonance seems to affect all writers within reach of the west coast, so I really wonder about Wolverine.
We already know it's going to be violent - but TLOU2 was violent, and the idea behind it was that we should empathize with a serial killer because she cares about the trans youth.

Wolverine should realistically be the most hypermasculine game Insomniac's ever produced. But with the writers they've got now, that might just tilt them further towards fucking it up out of spite.

Fbh

Is this good or bad? lol

If they allow it it to be its own thing with its own style that just has some references and leaves the door open for future teamup/crossover it shouldn't be an issue.
I just hope they don't try to make it in the same style.

"Thanks gender neutral Wolverine!!!!, As a regular citizen I left the climate march to go to my full time volunteering job at the shelter when I decided to drop by my latinx friends who are putting the finishing touches on their social justice street art when suddenly I was attacked by these bad guys, I didn't even notice them sneaking up to me because I was listening to my favourite purple hair progressive podcaster!. I'm glad you showed up and beat them up in a non lethal PG13 way!!"

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Hopefully still means the overall art direction and specially gore are different from SM1-2.

I want wolverine to go all out with blood, dismemberment and decapitations.

I'll be specially sad if they come up with some shitty robot enemies to not include much gore lol.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Cognitive dissonance seems to affect all writers within reach of the west coast, so I really wonder about Wolverine.
We already know it's going to be violent - but TLOU2 was violent, and the idea behind it was that we should empathize with a serial killer because she cares about the trans youth.

Wolverine should realistically be the most hypermasculine game Insomniac's ever produced. But with the writers they've got now, that might just tilt them further towards fucking it up out of spite.

Some of you read too much into this stuff.

Nickolaidas

What is even woke in the game? Insomniac must have abandoned reality in favor of their "woke" agenda numerous times in the game for you to have such a strong reaction against it, right?

Can you give 3-4 examples of what Insomniac did that goes against realistic portrayals and is instead clear agenda-based?
Oh, I dunno ... the fact that you see more pride flags than US flags in the game? The fact that they're pushing gender neutral language in Spanish despite it not making any sense and the Spanish people rolling their eyes each times Americans do it on their behalf? The fact that you spend your time as Spider-Man making gay couples happy? The fact that one of the most beautiful women in the Marvel Universe now looks like his fucking aunt? The complete cuckification of Peter Parker making him stutter like a fucking moron when he's basically addressing his 'Robin' and Miles basically acting like the confident adult because "B"lack > white? The deaf NPC side-quest which is done purely for ESG pocket money? Black Cat hunting other pussies in Paris? Take your pick.

Love the game if you must, but for the love of all that is holy don't act surprised when people point out the woke stuff.

Topher

Gold Member

TLOU 2 was much more subtle in how the subject of the "trans youth" was handled. In fact, I skipped all the optional converstions with/about Lev and played the game as if she was just a girl who was shunned for cutting her hair. It wasn't a big deal to me at all. Contrast that with Insomniac who would push it in your face heavily. So yeah, I would much rather have TLOU's brand of "wokeness" than Insomniac's, personally. Well.....really I'd rather it was absent altogether but somehow I doubt that's in the cards going forward for some Sony devs.

Don't fail me, Sucker Punch.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I would argue that this is bad news. A crossover is planned then, makes financial sense, but also means Wolverine will not be a rated M and it’s going to be a watered down version of the character. Kinda bummed out if this where the case.

Insomniac has already stated the game will be M-rated. Nothing to fear my friend.

I really hate this MCU concept of shared universe everywhere. It just restricts freedom in individual games.
all this universe shit goes back to the completely bogus fanboy concept of 'canon'. 'canon', formerly known as 'shit that second graders argue about in the playground', this moronic 'thing' that actually attempts to clarify which completely made-up shit is 'real' or 'not real', really needs to be left to children, who are best equipped to indulge in such nonsense...

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The fact that you spend your time as Spider-Man making gay couples happy?
I didn't know Spider-Man was supposed to be homophobic and make gay couples sad and angry.
The fact that one of the most beautiful women in the Marvel Universe now looks like his fucking aunt?
She was supposed to be "prettier?" as per certain defined standards?
The complete cuckification of Peter Parker making him stutter like a fucking moron when he's basically addressing his 'Robin' and Miles basically acting like the confident adult because "B"lack > white?
So black people can't be confident or they can't be shown as confident people in games/media?
The deaf NPC side-quest which is done purely for ESG pocket money?
In the real world, people can't be deaf?
Black Cat hunting other pussies in Paris? Take your pick.
So your issue is more with Stan Lee than Insomniac, right? Because Black Cat is also Bi in the comics.

Rq2KJU1.jpg

Or are you angry that Insomniac stayed true to the source material?

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I didn't know Spider-Man was supposed to be homophobic and make gay couples sad and angry.
Neither did I. I thought he was all about stopping criminals, punching Doc Ock in the face, saving people from burning buildings and helping the police enforce the law.
She was supposed to be "prettier?" as per certain defined standards?
As per how she was originally designed to be a bombshell to the point of everyone looking at her and Pete and asking each other 'How the fuck is that schmuck dating that babe'.
xZsW3w2.jpg

So black people can't be confident or they can't be shown as confident people in games/media?
They can, but you need to look at a little something called 'context'. Peter is older and more experienced than Miles. He shouldn't be afraid to speak his mind in front of his pupil and stutter like a kid who is trying to find excuses when confronted by his dad, and the only reason the writers do that is in order to highlight Miles to Peter's expense. It's bad writing and pandering.
In the real world, people can't be deaf?
They can, but we're supposedly playing a video game about a super hero who dresses up as a Spider and beats up super villains, not being educated on the plights of people with disabilities to the point it feels like a lecture. 'Time and place for everything', you know?
So your issue is more with Stan Lee than Insomniac, right? Because Black Cat is also Bi in the comics.

Rq2KJU1.jpg

Or are you angry that Insomniac stayed true to the source material?
My issue is with woke tokenists who take straight characters and turn them gay just for the sake of pandering, ignoring the lore - because apparently, making gay characters from the get-go is hard work. Characters like Black Cat, Poison Ivy, Tim Drake, Bobby Drake and Alan Scott were never meant to be gay. They TURNED them gay for the sake of brownie points. And when they make a character 'bi', you almost never see them in an opposite sex relationship ever again. There was nothing 'bi' about Black Cat for years up until the blue-haired progressives took over.
UuNC3pN.jpg

OEDMR57.jpg

So yeah, a character who was straight for 40 years is suddenly 'bi', and if I don't agree with it, I'm the problem.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Neither did I. I thought he was all about stopping criminals, punching Doc Ock in the face, saving people from burning buildings and helping the police enforce the law.

As per how she was originally designed to be a bombshell to the point of everyone looking at her and Pete and asking each other 'How the fuck is that schmuck dating that babe'.
xZsW3w2.jpg

They can, but you need to look at a little something called 'context'. Peter is older and more experienced than Miles. He shouldn't be afraid to speak his mind in front of his pupil and stutter like a kid who is trying to find excuses when confronted by his dad, and the only reason the writers do that is in order to highlight Miles to Peter's expense. It's bad writing and pandering.

They can, but we're supposedly playing a video game about a super hero who dresses up as a Spider and beats up super villains, not being educated on the plights of people with disabilities to the point it feels like a lecture. 'Time and place for everything', you know?
It seems like you're taking issues with different portrayals of a realistic world that don't align with your own personal beliefs.

Otherwise, if Spider-Man is only about fighting criminals and saving people from burning buildings (he's not), why even have scenes about Aunt May? Why even have an option for NPCs to ask for selfies and high-fives when he is walking on the road?

I don't see any complaints against those things.
My issue is with woke tokenists who take straight characters and turn them gay just for the sake of pandering, ignoring the lore - because apparently, making gay characters from the get-go is hard work. Characters like Black Cat, Poison Ivy, Tim Drake, Bobby Drake and Alan Scott were never meant to be gay. They TURNED them gay for the sake of brownie points. And when they make a character 'bi', you almost never see them in an opposite sex relationship ever again. There was nothing 'bi' about Black Cat for years up until the blue-haired progressives took over.
UuNC3pN.jpg

OEDMR57.jpg

So yeah, a character who was straight for 40 years is suddenly 'bi', and if I don't agree with it, I'm the problem.
What does Insomniac or Spider-Man 2 have to do with it?

They have a character, and they are simply following whatever characteristics the creators/managers of that character choose to have to ensure accuracy. Your issue should be with Marvel because you wanted Felicia to only have (hypothetical) sex with men, no?

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

It seems like you're taking issues with different portrayals of a realistic world that don't align with your own personal beliefs.
Established Lore =/= my personal beliefs. Mary Jane was originally portrayed as a very sexy and gorgeous looking woman. That was LORE. An established FACT. Not my 'reality' or 'personal beliefs'.
Otherwise, if Spider-Man is only about fighting criminals and saving people from burning buildings (he's not), why even have scenes about Aunt May? Why even have an option for NPCs to ask for selfies and high-fives when he is walking on the road?
Aunt May scenes are 'Peter Parker' scenes which is about focusing on the man behind the mask, on his day-off moments. Peter/Miles going out as SPIDER-MAN helping out gay random people get together while they should be chasing super-villains while on the job is pandering.

To give you an example, here is a scene from the Sensational Spider-Man comic (early 2000s) where Spider-Man listens to a cry for help, he goes there and its a guy who wants Spidey to lift his car so that the man can crawl under it and fix it. Peter gets angry and says 'who do you think I am? Triple A?' but grudgingly begins to oblige him. At some point he senses real danger and tells the man to move away from the car because he has no time for this. The man is like, 'yeah yeah a few seconds more', so Peter snaps and throws his car on the other side of the road and webswings away to go to people with, you know, ACTUAL problems?

vDxCrdZ.jpg

jhO2Cp2.jpg

See the difference?
Your issue should be with Marvel because you wanted Felicia to only have (hypothetical) sex with men, no?
Yes, Black Cat getting a sexuality 'face lift' is a Marvel issue. We can argue about how much of the woke bullshit is Insomniac's idea, and how much is Disney demanding those things for ESG score pocket money, but at the end of the day, I don't really care who is more at fault out of the two. The end result is the same. Woke crap.

And before you ask, yes, half of the side-quests in the Spider-Man games were absolute dogshit, like the pigeon hunting and the like.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Established Lore =/= my personal beliefs. Mary Jane was originally portrayed as a very sexy and gorgeous looking woman. That was LORE. An established FACT. Not my 'reality' or 'personal beliefs'.

Aunt May scenes are 'Peter Parker' scenes which is about focusing on the man behind the mask, on his day-off moments. Peter/Miles going out as SPIDER-MAN helping out gay random people get together while they should be chasing super-villains while on the job is pandering.

To give you an example, here is a scene from the Sensational Spider-Man comic (early 2000s) where Spider-Man listens to a cry for help, he goes there and its a guy who wants Spidey to lift his car so that the man can crawl under it and fix it. Peter gets angry and says 'who do you think I am? Triple A?' but grudgingly begins to oblige him. At some point he senses real danger and tells the man to move away from the car because he has no time for this. The man is like, 'yeah yeah a few seconds more', so Peter snaps and throws his car on the other side of the road and webswings away to go to people with, you know, ACTUAL problems?

vDxCrdZ.jpg

jhO2Cp2.jpg

See the difference?

Yes, Black Cat getting a sexuality 'face lift' is a Marvel issue. We can argue about how much of the woke bullshit is Insomniac's idea, and how much is Disney demanding those things for ESG score pocket money, but at the end of the day, I don't really care who is more at fault out of the two. The end result is the same. Woke crap.

And before you ask, yes, half of the side-quests in the Spider-Man games were absolute dogshit, like the pigeon hunting and the like.
Almost all side-quests in all games are usually crap.

The Witcher 3 is regarded as the game with arguably the best side-quests in recent history had you fetching frying pans for an old woman, while finding Ciri was supposed to be the #1 priority as the end of the world was looming.

CGNoire

It is,the phrase "woke" only meant being aware of the injustices/social issues that occurs in the U.S for Black people before white politicians or whomever twisted the word to mean anything the wanted to mean.

You consider the above nuance?

There is so much wrong with whats happening with this conversation today.
You all love to project "motivation" on others especially you love to take any right wingers critique of Wokeism's "methods" and turn that around to make it out as if its a critique of there "goals." How convenient a twist.

How convenient you can see there intent with your mind powers and use your psychic conclusion to completely disreguard every presented critique of your methods so you never have to do any self reflection on said methods effectiveness.

Less take a look at some of those "Methods" shall we....
1. They are consistently attacking western societies hard fought belief that "Intent matters" in both the court of law and among public opinion.

2. They have spread the disgusting notion that Reverse racism can defeat racism. That you can cure inequity or inequality with a hand on the lever so you can enforce the "right type" of inequality. Forced equality isnt equality

3. There conclusions on justice are based on optics and on hunches
The flavor of justice they seek to push is one in which the party with the "sadder sounding story" comes out victorious at the expense of actualy weighing the facts of the case.

Im not even right wing and I dont listen too or need a right wing politican" to tell me what to think. Im a liberal and highly anti-Trupism but I also have working eyes. This isnt about picking sides. I fucking hate all authoritarion movements and rightfully fear them especially when acompanied by such power as the left weilds via tech and social media companies now a days.

Stop thinking in easily regurgitated symbols and stop letting the left wing media tell you "what the actual motives and intent of right wingers are." I dont let right wing media define left wing motives for me. That would make me a fool. People have on average vastly more complicated motives than the politicaly convenient ones where sold from both sides.

Ill leave you with 2 quotes...

Joe biden circa 2008 said.. Im paraphrasing here "you can critique what a man does but dont ever assume you know what his intentions are"

Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal and if they are equal, they are not free. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I would argue that this is bad news. A crossover is planned then, makes financial sense, but also means Wolverine will not be a rated M and it’s going to be a watered down version of the character. Kinda bummed out if this where the case.
Wolverine was already confirmed to be M-rated (or at least they are targeting and M-rating). We may or may not see an actual direct crossover, it could be more like referencing events of the continuity of side characters.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Get ready for Wokeverine and the X-people.

EDIT:Actually I think people is a term too offensive for modern audiences so lets call them Latinx-Men to keep it in-universe for Insomniac.

Found a leaked Artwork of the main character
hgHsMGS.jpg

Some of you guys are weirdos.

Robb

Gold Member
Eh, we’ll see. I don’t really feel like they need to cross paths personally.

I want this to be its own thing, preferably with a focus on environmental destruction, cutting off the limbs from bad guys etc. etc.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Bet you are right. They want maximum appeal and sales. After Spiderman sales they won't risk limiting their market with m rated game

The argument there is that Naughty Dog did it with the jump from Uncharted to Last of Us

The only difference is that Insomniac has experience in “mature” level games like Resistance. And I think Sunset was M too?

They can certainly do it. But in the current climate who fucking knows.

Barakov

Gold Member
Yeah but thats gta. This is a comic book character; a super hero. There is never any collateral damage and they always do things right.
Yeah, but this is a comic book hero who has claws that pop out of his hands. IF you don't expect him to stab the ever living fuck out of people, you're delusional.

Chronicle

Yeah, but this is a comic book hero who has claws that pop out of his hands. IF you don't expect him to stab the ever living fuck out of people, you're delusional.
Not me. I agree but in planet woke and cry its blue blood and high fives. No thanks.

I’d be down for a Wolverine game with brutal and challenging combat like Ninja Gaiden or Metal Gear Rising, but I doubt they’ll make it very complicated or challenging.

ProtoByte

Some of you read too much into this stuff.
Fuck that. The Lillie/Lev plotline was ridiculous. A truly baffling concept that never would have made it into a AAA game that released even 5 years prior to TLOU2. It happened, and will continue to happen, because people allow the activists to up the ante while pretending there's nothing to read into.

They absolutely want you to read into it, and take away a particular message.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Awesome, good idea to keep things rolling in the same universe. I'm hoping for a little bit of Logan, mixed in with some Deadpool absurdity.

Top Bottom