• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Integrated Difficult: Game Design and the not-so-recent trend towards Casual Gaming

After this swarm of huge 'news' breaking on GAF this week, I figure it'll probably be a pretty slow weekend so I decided to post something that's been lingering on my desktop for quite a while. This isn't anything close to the most comprehensive analysis on the subject or like that, but I feel it can put some perspective of where we're at and how we've been getting there so here goes:
--------------------------------------
One company has bread a generation of new online gamers. The other has tended to carry a much more conservative definition of networking. For the past decade, the gaming world has consistently shuttered before the first, while the other has only recently been able to bring hope to the die-hard fans that were hooked after their first game of Punch Out!!.

Despite some superficial yet seemingly major differences, Blizzard and Nintendo have maintained a philosophical approach to game development with a greater amount of similarities than many may realize from initial impressions.

With the recent, astonishing success of Blizzard’s take on the MMORPG genre and the unprecedented sales numbers of Nintendo’s DS Lite and more recently, the Wii, it seems worthwhile to take a step back and look at a one of the many design decisions arguably driving one of the most important phenomena in the gaming industry.

Finding Nemo Again
Even as I sit on an airplane headed to San Francisco, I can spot at least three fellow travelers enjoying their DS Lite. And that’s only from the walk from my seat to the lavatory (fancy airplane term for “crapper”)!

So what exactly do these two industry giants have in common? The most obvious answer is the medium through which they present their entertainment – video games. Whether it is on your computer or a console, the focus of both companies is to sell a form of interactive entertainment.

The basic implication of this similarity is that both must overcome a huge hurdle that is inherent to much of the hi-tech electronics market, something often times referred to as ‘buyers stigma’.

In the Western world, a powerful bias against video games has been going strong since the time of your fathers Pac Man arcade. Gamers have been said to smell bad, lack knowledge of how to use a shaving blade, and put on so many pounds that they can’t fit through their living room door.

In order to reach a broader market, both companies have adopted very interesting strategies to deal with these issues as well as others, gaining a giant share of their respective markets.

Just as Pixar’s hit animation was very marketable through a broad appeal to both an adult and child audience, our two gaming companies have recently relied on the same fundamental concept to drive sales of their products in a highly competitive marketplace.

World of Blizzard

In late November of 2004 we saw the critically acclaimed release of one of the most anticipated games across any genre or platform – World of Warcraft. Certainly, much of the hype for Warcraft was drawn both from long time fans of the series and those simply looking for what appeared to be a very fresh, different experience from current offerings at the time.

However, what may have been lost in the shuffle was Blizzard’s often-mentioned strategy of building a game that can be fun for everyone, despite the amount of time somebody was able to commit to sitting in front of their monitors.

Between a character advancement system which initially encouraged players to log-off for at least a few hours a day for double experience, the virtual lack of downtime for activities that could take ages in other games, and relative ease of acquiring the maximum level it becomes very clear that WoW was designed with an expanded audience in mind:

Browsing through the first three reviews that come to mind, the “easing” of typical traits exhibited by other MMORPGs have a great impact on even seasoned players:

Tom McNamara IGN Review – 9.1
WoW has been described widely as a "newbie-friendly" game, but after playing since the closed beta phase that started back in Spring of this year, I can honestly say that WoW is friendly to everybody. Everything from the colorful art style to the endearing player animations, to the countless quirks of personality makes WoW an inviting experience. Blizzard's passion for gaming joy is infectious, and its sense of humor disarming.

Allen Rausch GameSpy Review – 5/5 Stars
The difference, though, is the way Blizzard has managed to re-think things that were taken as gospel in MMO game design, ask "Why?", and remove them when they got in the way of having fun. Take, for example, the issue of time. For some reason, a game pace that would be considered glacial in any single-player game has always been standard issue in most MMOs. Why should it take 10 minutes after fighting to heal your character? Why should it take me an hour of running to reach a dungeon and start fighting monsters?

1UP Review – 8.9
Unlike many MMORPG developers, someone on the design team at Blizzard seems to have realized that they were making a game rather than a surrogate life. From the lack of permanent player housing to an experience system that rewards players for occasionally logging out and doing something else for a while, many design choices appear to have been implemented to encourage you to not take it all so seriously.

Nintendoes, Too
Even without observing Shigeru Miyamoto’s keynote at March’s Gamers Day Convention, it’s not too difficult to really see where Nintendo has been headed since its entry into the home console market.

Briefly glancing over the trajectory of Nintendo’s first party developers, it becomes very apparent that many of the company’s best-selling intellectual properties have been designed with at least two play styles in mind.

Those for the casual gamer and those for the core… you know, those of us that “don’t shower, eat, or go to work while waiting for a video game to come out.”

Take Kirby’s Adventure, which spiraled into one of the most popular Nintendo franchises amongst its core fan base. While it may be true that there were no “hard” or “easy” modes, the idea of broadening the playing field was expressed in a subtle yet different manner than we’re used to seeing.

You could play through Kirby’s Adventure in three or four hours without too much trouble. But those who wanted… scratch that – needed more of a fix of our favorite pink puffball would quickly realize that their game was not 100 percent complete. There were shortcuts, hidden rooms, and items that only a dedicated gamer could attain without having a walkthrough sitting next to their ash tray.

Fast forward to today and this philosophy of integrated difficulty can still readily be found in even the simplest of titles. Anybody can enjoy Wii Sports and maybe put it down after ten or fifteen minutes, yet still feel some sense of accomplishment.

However, for those like me, it was absolutely necessary to max my Mii’s player score and get all of the platinum medals, in all of the events. Even the exercise option has become a game in itself for many gamers trying desperately to best their “high score” from the previous day. And that’s just Wii Sports!

“Okay, Captain Obvious, Wii Sports has obviously been marketed as a mass appeal kind-of-game from the very beginning; snooze-fest!” Well, in fact, something very similar can be found across varying genres.

One particular franchise comes to mind immediately, Pokemon. Recently, I walked into my five year old nephew’s room only to find some very nice looking Pokemon bed sheets crumpled up on his floor.

This not only tells me that his organizational habits take after his uncle, it also demonstrates that a single product can entrap the minds of a hardcore, twenty-something year old gamer for months is ultimately simple enough at its core to still be enjoyable to a child.

You can play Pokemon for a couple of months and simply enjoy it at the most basic aesthetic level, grind through the game as fast as possible while trying to appreciate the storyline, spend countless hours trying to find as many Pokemon as possible or even turn on that Wi-Fi connection and take your friends to school with a mean team of Pichus.

Again, it’s easy to simply dismiss Pokemon as a game designed to be a franchise that carries massive appeal to primarily younger crowds. While I wouldn’t necessary agree with this conclusion, I think that it’s not difficult to find a similar design pattern in much of the Legend of Zelda series and to a lesser extent the Metroid games, neither of which are exclusively marketed towards the casual gamer.

Point is: integrated difficulty allows players to take a game as far as they want to and hence can appeal to a broader audience both in terms of both core and casual gamers alike.

dude

dude
It was a good read, to me the beauty about Nintendo is that they do not think of games as "geared towards", rather if it's "hardcore" of "casuals", they try to make games enjoyed by the widest demographic. Super Smash Bros. is probably the most simple of fighting games in it's "core" mechanic, every 6 years old can play the game and have a blast, but when you try to go deeper, you can see the game has huge depth, and can be played for hours by seasoned players.
When people classify their games as for "casuals" they're doing the exact opposite of expanding the market.

Christine

Nintendo is really very good at designing emergent complexity. It's actually more notable when they fail in this regard - e.g. the disconnect between snakers and non-snakers in Mario Kart DS.

jman2050

I think it is precisely these type of games that a lot of people are afraid Nintendo will stop making. Obviously it's an irrational fear, but there is a bit of truth to it. I just hope they continue making games that satisfy both the masses and the core. Also, I don't think it's quite fair to simply limit this to Nintendo and Blizzard, since I think GTA is the one game that accomplishes what this thread is talking about almost perfectly (even if I personally dislike the games.)

jman2050 said:
Also, I don't think it's quite fair to simply limit this to Nintendo and Blizzard, since I think GTA is the one game that accomplishes what this thread is talking about almost perfectly (even if I personally dislike the games.)

I wasn't trying to be exclusive when writing this although it might seem that way. It's more of a time/length issue to discuss other designers following a similar trend and I think Blizzard does illustrate the point very well given the success of WoW.

Of course, we see a very similar design perspective with the expansion of the sandbox genre amongst others (including fighters).

ToxicAdam

Maybe you want to look into PC games and the trends of casual gaming that has been going on for the past 10 years (even before that, with shareware).

Also, INTERFACE trumps all. If your consumer doesn't pick up the controller, then they never get to points B, C or D of whatever your selling.

GhaleonQ

I'll attempt to pick this apart later. I won't argue against your premise, only that commercial appeal and critical merit don't always coincide and that this is a great, necessary thing for elevating the form of "video games."

In the meantime, do you feel that a well-made film with different levels, like "Toy Story 2," deserves more accolades than a less accessible film that offers (in my opinion) a much more rewarding experience, like "Ikiru," because more people can enjoy it? Is any burden on the subject to "challenge" himself/herself?

GhaleonQ said:
I'll attempt to pick this apart later. I won't argue against your premise, only that commercial appeal and critical merit don't always coincide and that this is a great, necessary thing for elevating the form of "video games."

In the meantime, do you feel that a well-made film with different levels, like "Toy Story 2," deserves more accolades than a less accessible film that offers (in my opinion) a much more rewarding experience, like "Ikiru," because more people can enjoy it? Is any burden on the subject to "challenge" himself/herself?

Not sure if you've had a chance to read through the article completely (its admittedly quite long) and I'm sure the initial impression might give you this idea but I'm not trying to make the argument that a game with strong commercial appeal is the equivalent of a game that's somehow good for the industry or the medium in general.

In fact, I'm not trying to make normative judgment either way, rather I'm trying to be descriptive. For example, one of my favorite games of last generation was Killer 7 which undoubtedly did not attempt to implement mechanics which allowed the game to be played at ones own pace. Despite the lack of 'ease', I think it remains as one of those contribution that "elevate the form of video games."

To answer your question, I don't really feel strongly either way. Sure it's always great to have challenging experiences, but I don't think that a challenging experience is necessarily always divorced from a casual experience. In the spirit of the original post, I'd say it can be argued that Toy Story 2 can be experienced on a deep, challenging level if read differently; you may surprised how many "casual" forms of entertainment, whether books, film, music, or television are read in different ways by analysts from other communities.

Again, this is not to say that challenging experiences are in any way 'bad'. Instead, I feel that a game can be designed in a way in which both core gamers are able to "read the game" more deeply and for casuals who may opt to play the same game on a more shallow level.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
dude said:
It was a good read, to me the beauty about Nintendo is that they do not think of games as "geared towards", rather if it's "hardcore" of "casuals", they try to make games enjoyed by the widest demographic. Super Smash Bros. is probably the most simple of fighting games in it's "core" mechanic, every 6 years old can play the game and have a blast, but when you try to go deeper, you can see the game has huge depth, and can be played for hours by seasoned players.
When people classify their games as for "casuals" they're doing the exact opposite of expanding the market.

what you said didn't really make sense, since the "widest demographic" IS the "casuals."

PkunkFury

warp whistles, P wings, and jugums clouds are a great example of this. You don't need to be too good at games to beat Mario 3, but if you haven't played worlds 5-7, you missed the best parts of the game. Still, it was designed so anyone could feel like they accomplished something. I don't think Nintendo has captured this very well since the N64. Mario Sunshine and the most recent MarioKarts are a good example of how not to do things

davepoobond said:
what you said didn't really make sense, since the "widest demographic" IS the "casuals."

I may have misinterpreted the poster you quoted but I actually think what they're saying is spot on.

Widest demographic isn't "casual" or "core", it's both. The most effective way to profit from a wider audience isn't by replacing core with casual, it's by designing something that can satisfy the needs of both. Integrating difficulty ala WoW, Smash Bros, Pokemon, GTA, and other games is only one way of approaching the problem.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
azrael p.o.s. said:
I may have misinterpreted the poster you quoted but I actually think what they're saying is spot on.

Widest demographic isn't "casual" or "core", it's both. The most effective way to profit from a wider audience isn't by replacing core with casual, it's by designing something that can satisfy the needs of both. Integrating difficulty ala WoW, Smash Bros, Pokemon, GTA, and other games is only one way of approaching the problem.

Agreed, and it's certainly something all parties are failing at pretty badly right now. Super hardcore multiplayer first person shooters that are designed to be played in 1080P are awesome for hardcore gamers, but sort of leave the rest of the family out in the cold. WiiSports can get the whole family to play, but most people on this board get bored with it after a few rounds of bowling and want to move on to meatier affairs.

I do think, however, that it's also a good thing to have specifically targeted games - we need WiiSports to appeal to casual fitness fans just as bad as we need Bioshock to appeal to hardcore game nuts.

GhaleonQ

Addendum: I know that it wasn't the spirit of your post. I just wanted to read your judgment of developments like this.

Campster said:
I do think, however, that it's also a good thing to have specifically targeted games - we need WiiSports to appeal to casual fitness fans just as bad as we need Bioshock to appeal to hardcore game nuts.

And I hope that both genres continue to do well.

I think much of the angst directed towards what people perceive as casual titles is fear of a situation where core games like Bioshock are crowded out. And maybe, some of the fear isn't necessarily unfounded - we constantly hear about shifts of development resources from both first party (Nintendo and to a lesser extent Microsoft) and third party (EA being one amongst them) towards the casual market.

However, one of the benefits I think we can expect from this trend is the financial power that both integrated difficulty games (ala Smash Bros, GTA, Madden even) and casual titles can yield. If developers are to shift some focus off to these projects, I have no doubt that there's generally a strong financial incentive to do so. The profit that casual titles are able to generate can be reinvested into researching better graphics engines, for example; or may ease the development cost for a core title.

Having said that, I'm optimistic that developers and publishers will adopt a similar model but there really is no telling what some executives will ultimately decide.

Good read, I think that really is why Nintendo has succeeded so well with the DS and Wii. Although having that "difficulty" option there isn't a bad thing either, well to me anyway.

Would read again, nice analysis!

Every could learn from the current Blizzard................Nintendo, on the other hand, throughout its history is a mixed bag of awesome and bad.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Every could learn from the current Blizzard................Nintendo, on the other hand, throughout its history is a mixed bag of awesome and bad.

I think Nintendo has been fairly consistent in its history on at least one important factor - integrated difficulty in first party and subcontracted games where Nintendo designers were at the helm.

Up until the release of the DS, the same philosophy hadn't quite been realized on the hardware side. Nintendo's consistent focus on the handheld market, though, shows to me that they were at least trying to cater to the casual audience as well. Can't blame them either; I think the DS is really one of those cases of awesome.

On the other hand, the same factor may have really hurt the GCN. Despite the console itself not being vastly different in terms of the competitions' offerings (similar interface, evolution through more modern hardware), many first party titles were designed with some of that traditional Nintendo formula. As a consequence, when compared to the GTAs and Halos they may have seemed to be more for children than adult males. This may have easily contributed to low sales of the platform as the hardware and software designs were almost opposed to one another... quite bad.

With the DS and Wii, it's really up to Nintendo to ensure that they're both consistent on this end while being able to attract third party developers. Development costs may be one of their main strategies for doing so.

Zynx

One thing to keep in mind, is the quantity of releases. While I'm not saying Nintendo hasn't put out crap (and there have been real turds!), as you put out more and more games, the chances rise quickly that one or more will be crappy. Blizzard's super-consistent, but the amount of games they release is far less.

On the original topic, one thing I miss
as a "gamer"
, is that in the past, Nintendo games weren't made so that everyone would beat them easily. Zelda, Metroid, or even their SNES incarnations weren't made with so much hand-holding or so few dangers that anybody could finish easily. Like Wind Waker, for example - why did I bother getting fairies and potions when I could basically take perhaps 18 hits (or more!) from almost everything before I perished? (I'm sure some Zelda expert could correct me, but it felt like almost nothing common did more than half a heart of damage at a time.)

Actually, I appreciate Super Mario World the most in regards to difficulty. Sure, there's the normal route that's easier to handle. But there were an extra 13 or so levels just for the fanatics. But since then Nintendo hasn't done much in that spirit.

Tsubaki

Go figure. I'm not a fan of either company's games.

While there are exceptions, for the most part... I don't think you can design a game that appeals to both mainstream and enthusiast gamer. It's largely why I don't really care for Nintendo games from Mario to Zelda to Starfi. The games are way too simplistic and easy for my tastes.

Tsubaki said:
While there are exceptions, for the most part... I don't think you can design a game that appeals to both mainstream and enthusiast gamer. It's largely why I don't really care for Nintendo games from Mario to Zelda to Starfi. The games are way too simplistic and easy for my tastes.

I'd have to take issue with this. In fact, I think there are quite a few very popular titles which demonstrate that games can be designed successfully with a large cross-section of the market in mind; amongst them are both the Madden and GTA franchises.

Moreover, I think that developers like EA Sports are realizing the potential success of the formula and implementing it throughout its games. If you look at the latest version of FIFA for instance, the game has (although explicit and not integrated) multiple modes based on familiarity with the interface. If I can enjoy deep, online play with FIFA for hours while my soccer-enthusiast father can similarly enjoy ten minutes in arcade/family mode, I think the design team had gotten something 'right'.

Of course, we can't forget about other major franchises. Games like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and even the drastically evolved Sim series demonstrate that integrated difficulty, amongst other factors, can make games that are indeed viable for both core and casual audiences.

Finally... Zelda or Mario being too simplistic for a gamer to enjoy? Quite frankly, I'm still in shock from reading that line :p

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
azrael p.o.s. said:
I'd have to take issue with this. In fact, I think there are quite a few very popular titles which demonstrate that games can be designed successfully with a large cross-section of the market in mind; amongst them are both the Madden and GTA franchises.

I'll take that a step further and say that virtually every game, no matter how complex ultimately, can be designed in such a way that will make it accessible to the most casual gamer. I'm not just talking about relatively simple stuff like Madden and GTA; I also mean games as ridiculously deep as Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and Victoria: Empire Under The Sun. All it takes is clever design.

For example, Alpha Centauri has multiple difficulty levels. They represent more than just difficulty, though--selecting the lowest level means you'll get lots of advice, hand-holding, and entire game mechanics stripped out. As you pick higher difficulties, these mechanics will gradually be added back and the help will gradually be scaled down, along with the AI getting better. While I don't think Firaxis took this far enough (they should have had even lower difficulties with the game stripped to its absolute bare bones for training purposes), what they did do payed off in spades. SMAC sold surprisingly well for such an incredibly hardcore game--not just initially, but over long periods of time.

Unfortunately, too many developers are getting this approach wrong. They either fail to make their games accessible, limiting their audience to the hardcore, or, far more frequently nowadays, they do all the dumbing-down of Alpha Centauri's lower difficulty levels without bothering to add the depth back in at higher levels of play. This dumbing-down ultimately means players just won't care about the games in the long term, or their sequels.

Tsubaki said:
Go figure. I'm not a fan of either company's games.

The divide between Wii gamer and 360/PS3 gamer reminds me of the old PC vs console divide. One viewed the other as more casual.

Haunted

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
The divide between Wii gamer and 360/PS3 gamer reminds me of the old PC vs console divide. One viewed the other as more casual.
Until the other became the majority. oh snap.

WoW is an interesting example because it's more relatively casual to its genre than simply casual. Even more so with Blizzard's focus as of late being especially tuned to non-casual content. Which suits Blizzard's mantra: "easy to learn, hard to master". They may make accessable games, but they always offer a lot of depth (whether skill or effort based) to their hard-core following.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Yeah, the stupidity of some WoW players (who nonetheless have made it to level 70) convinced me that Blizzard knows how to make relatively complex stuff accessible.

Top Bottom