• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern/recent games with 90's techno-esque soundtracks?

Back in the 1990's a plethora of released games featured a borderline experimental, trippy and psychedelic techno soundtrack reminiscent of something from the demoscene. Its typically described as acid breakbeats, drum 'n' bass/jungle and retro future, I think. Most recent I can recall is Ion fury somewhat. Here's a few example of what I'm talking about:

Has there been any recent modern games, aside from Ion fury, which featured a soundtrack in a similar vein?

Kupfer

Hadn't heard it in while in modern games, but I exactly know the scratch to itch when it comes to this kind of soundtracks. Every now and then I listen to the OST of N64s Etreme-G and even purchased the module for the reason to have the OST as original as possible.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Great OST but it leans more into synth then it does DnB.

Game is excellent though so I think the OP should check it out regardless.
Its a bit hard to determine since its a specific type of DnB, with a certain array of instruments.

Other examples that could maybe fit:

• Fire
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Not bad. I could roll with that.

Hmm. The soundtrack is neat, but seems to have a bit more of an 80's undertone if you know what I mean. The "Cyberpunk intro" and "Cyberpunk combat 1" tracks are really sweet.

Yeh Synthetik's soundtrack is a blend of 80's and 90's dance music, I do love it though.

Ghostrunner might be closer to what you're looking for than that is though.

Its a bit hard to determine since its a specific type of DnB, with a certain array of instruments.

Other examples that could maybe fit:

Severed Steel is fire. That game was my addiction for a while, some of the most pure gameplay around.

Last edited:
Fuck me, I forgot ghostrunner:

Shame on me.

Ah yeah, Ghostrunner soundtrack is pretty dope.

Yeh Synthetik's soundtrack is a blend of 80's and 90's dance music, I do love it though.

Ghostrunner might be closer to what you're looking for than that is though.

Severed Steel is fire. That game was my addiction for a while, some of the most pure gameplay around.
O rly? Color me intrigued. With that soundtrack to boot, sounds like its packing one heck of a combo.

Tekken 8 dude... it's literally coming out in a couple days.

(...)

Fuck, that Chevalier theme soundtrack is bitchin'. Its a bit more club-ish though imo.

Last edited:
Z27jccm.png
gYF9atZ.png

There are plenty of 90s techno bangers in the game like the above tracks

If you are a fan of action games, I strongly reccomend, you will not regret it.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Ah yeah, Ghostrunner soundtrack is pretty dope.

O rly? Color me intrigued. With that soundtrack to boot, sounds like its packing one heck of a combo.

Fuck, that Chevalier theme soundtrack is bitchin'. Its a bit more club-ish though imo.
Not techno enough for you? Ok,here you go 😁

Yakuza 5:

poodaddy

Talk about

I'm playing Yakuza 5 right now.

Tom Cruise GIF

Completed all of Kiryu's taxi missions though. That eurobeat hits all the right spots. One of the reasons I adore Yakuza 3-5.

5 is easily the best Yakuza game in terms of gameplay variety, the game is absolutely bonkers with content, and the content actually being fun and not tack on bullshit is insane with how much there is.

0 may be a perfect game in many ways, Kiwami 2 may be the most intense of the series, but 5 is a textbook example of how to give a game unbelievable amounts of sheer value in content.

I fuckin love this series.

Top Bottom