• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Interview) Kutagari takes more "shots" at Microsoft

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/623/623546p1.html

Uggggh...

Don't these guys realize the whole "sticks and stones" thing.

When asked about the difference between the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Kutaragi responds, "This time, Microsoft has stated clearly that it is going after the PlayStation. However, they're going not after the PlayStation 3, but the PlayStation 2. They were looking at 2, and that's why [Xbox 360] became like that."

Commenting on the demos shown by Microsoft and Sony at their respective conferences, Kutaragi adds, "One famous reporter let slip, Xbox is 1.5, the PS is more than what I was expecting, so it's 3.5."

Gattsu25

Banned
jarrod said:
I thought SCEA PR coined the "Xbox 1.5" term?
I don't think he meant that the reporter coined the term Xbox 1.5, jarrod

both of Kutagari's quips are utterly retarded, btw

I think Molly Smith came up with Xbox 1.5, but "the press" (specifically Ted, as seen in the fabulous webshow "Reset") can be credited with "Xbox Deep-Sixty."

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
akascream said:
Lol, those are the worst 'insults' I've ever seen.

Umm, you guys were like going after the PS2, cause you haven't seen the PS3 so how could you try to come after us huh? How do you like that!

Yeah, they're pretty crappy.

It's unfortunate IGN chose only to report on that part of the interview. Surely there is more in it?

Mooreberg

When asked about the difference between the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Kutaragi responds, "This time, Microsoft has stated clearly that it is going after the PlayStation. However, they're going not after the PlayStation 3, but the PlayStation 2. They were looking at 2, and that's why [Xbox 360] became like that."

Who's on first?

jarrod

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
I think Molly Smith came up with Xbox 1.5, but "the press" (specifically Ted, as seen in the fabulous webshow "Reset") can be credited with "Xbox Deep-Sixty."
Don't forget our own Drinky Crow's "Xdude Tree-Siddy"

dorio

Banned
It is a shame though that MS didn't know that the ps3 was coming out and chose to target the ps2 instead. Doh! They need to fire those research and development guys. :)

RuGalz

What else do you expect the man to say when he's asked of his opinion on Xbox 360? "OMG, We are doomed!!!" :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The full interview is here: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0608/kaigai186.htm

Google's translation, unsurprisingly, is a mess. Can anyone help out?

dorio said:
It is a shame though that MS didn't know that the ps3 was coming out and chose to target the ps2 instead. Doh! They need to fire those research and development guys. :)

I don't think that's the suggestion - I think he means in terms of strategy/"overall vision" etc. not technically.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SCEA PR originally coined the Xbox 1.5 phrase but Kutaragi is now quoting a reporter who integrated that with a comment about the PS3. So it's not that he's calling out the Xbox 1.5 comment specifically, but the reporter's reaction to both

In any case, "Xbox 1.5" as a dig is a pretty obvious one to make (if you want to make digs), so I wouldn't really be surprised if multiple people essentially came up with it at the same time

:lol Going above and beyond the call of duty to seem "even-handed" recently, don't you think? You should know as well as anybody that this is all part of the PR game. Nothing new here.

GhaleonEB

RuGalz said:
What else do you expect the man to say when he's asked of his opinion on Xbox 360? "OMG, We are doomed!!!" :p

I suppose being a gracious competitor is out of the question, so yeah. Trash talk it is. Though the sheer ego implied by his comments make him sound like a total asshole.

thorns

Banned
Looking at that trainwreck of a translation, it seems he's mostly talking about PS3 being more of a "computer"/PC and xbox 360 only a games machine..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
thorns said:
Looking at that trainwreck of a translation, it seems he's mostly talking about PS3 being more of a "computer"/PC and xbox 360 only a games machine..

He's talking about "computer entertainment" vs PS3 being a games machine for kids. The translation truly is a trainwreck though, I'm not sure it's worth discussing until we have an accurate transcript. Pity IGN couldn't do their jobs and report on other comments in the interview beyond the sensationalism :rolleyes

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
RuGalz said:
He could always say, "Xbox 360 is a good product and we intend to give it a run for its money". You know, something more accurate than, "we are doomed" or "our competition sucks" :)

But, like I said, same 'ol PR game going on here.

blackadde

This is obviously a good deal worse than when Allard said he wanted Ken's resignation letter framed in his office.

OR IS IT

jiggle

:lol
where did all those sympathetic posters from that - Allard's wish to see Kutaragi's resignation letter hanging on his wall thread - go?

"it's only a PR!"

i'd like to watch the PS3 crash and burn just to watch Kutaragi fall into a pit of despair

the last arrogant prick that dismissed their competitor was Hiroshi Yamauchi....

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jiggle said:
:lol
where did all those sympathetic posters from that - Allard's wish to see Kutaragi's resignation letter hanging on his wall - go?

"it's only a PR!"

Indeed, people can be remarkably, and selectively, sensitive. I guess this is why the likes of IGN just report comments like this and don't bother with the rest :/

monchi-kun said:
the last arrogant prick that dismissed their competitor was Hiroshi Yamauchi....

Kutaragi has always been arrogant, this is nothing new. And if you don't think MS is arrogant..

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
sonycowboy said:

When are you going to stop this charade? When is the real Sonycowboy going to come back?

As far as Kutaragi's comments are concerned...that's how the game is played. Heck, if anyone has earned the right to talk trash its him.

Its funny how whenever someone like Itagaki talks smack all the Xbots think its great but when Kutaragi says something he's the devil.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Mrbob said:
MS needs to counter and coin the phrase PS3D0.

And then give me royalties.

MS will do what they'll always do when taunted. They'll set up a lemonade stand or something to that effect right outside the competitors main offices.

They did it with netscape. They set up a large "X" of XDK boxes and put it on Nintendos front lawn (for both xbox 1 and 360) now it's time for MS Japan pranksters to go to work :)

RuGalz

I suppose being a gracious competitor is out of the question, so yeah. Trash talk it is. Though the sheer ego implied by his comments make him sound like a total asshole.
You guys sure make it sound like he just come to interview and trash talk xbox 360. Well I guess it's IGN's fault for badly paraphrase the interview. But nevertheless, it's not like MS or Nintendo don't trash talk. Like kaching said, nothing new here.

thorns

Banned
babelfish translation is a lot better:

This, is a declaration that i.e, Playstation aims, toward the next generation computer of post PC. In other words, like PC and the work station, Playstation as category of the entertainment computer, it is the implication that you establish. In addition, in the category, Playstation, it seems that hints the fact that Playstation of the various form factors keeps increasing. Either the flow of technology, are not to have from the other computer, Playstation has the meaning being agreeable that keeps repeating individual technological innovation, as Playstation.

Actually, it is recognized from interview that PLAYSTATION 3 stance differs from PlayStation 2 largely. Hisashi 夛 as for the wooden person having emphasized well, the point that very this time we would like to do the computer "securely,". PlayStation 2 is you aimed toward that, but it was not sufficient with various elements such as the pliability of hard itself. But, this time, involving also IBM, it seems that you think that it could pursue progressive architecture, as a computer.

bitwise

Banned
kenasshat.jpg

delusional

dorio

Banned
Sony must be really confident in their superiority or else they wouldn't be bringing up these xbox1.5 comments. I hope they have the machine to back up the hubris.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JC10001 said:
Its funny how whenever someone like Itagaki talks smack all the Xbots think its great but when Kutaragi says something he's the devil.

Yup. Or how Yamauchi is considered a "legend" for his talk. I guess just when it's coming from someone in Kutaragi's position, it carries more bite, and thus the defensiveness in some quarters kicks in..like someone said, he's actually earned the right to talk trash, that possibly more than anything else is what unsettles people. Some people here are taking these comments way too seriously.

Teddman

When asked about the difference between the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Kutaragi responds, "First off, f**k your bi**h And the clique you claim. West side when we ride, come equipped with game. You claim to be a playa, but I f**ked your wife! We bust on Bill Gates, MS f**ked for life."
Commenting on the demos shown by Microsoft and Sony at their respective conferences, Kutaragi adds, "One famous reporter let slip, Xbox is 1.5, the PS is more than what I was expecting, so it's 3.5. No, actually it is closer to the value of Pi. Infinite, neverending power of the dark side. Undefineable! So we will call this next console PSPi."

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DarienA said:
You've apparently been asleep. Turning? Been... been they all have been.
Drensch hasn't been asleep, he just makes variations of "Kutaragi is an arrogant prick" comments in many of these topics - probably just said that Kutaragi was turning into one this time around to mix things up a bit. Coming from Drensch, the guy whose latest Adriana Lima avatar is usually sporting a very haughty expression on her face, you'd think it'd be a turn on for him ;)

The only time PR guys are assholes, are when they were like the US Sega ones when they continued to deny the Dreamcast's death to consumers, even in the face of pure reality. The rest of these little pot shots back and forth mean nothing except for something to talk about during the lull before the next gen. It's not like any of these guys held up a dog and said, "Here is our competitor" and then proceeded to gut the dog and eat its entrails. Then I'd call them assholes. Otherwise, it's all just standard PR pimping.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
thorns said:
babelfish translation is a lot better:

True, though only a little. There's a bit of talk about simulation and synthesis beyond graphics , some comments on E3 demos I think and so forth. There's a guy at B3D who does good translations of these interviews, so hopefully he might be able to do a number on this one.

Top Bottom