• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Interview) Kutagari takes more "shots" at Microsoft

chinch

Tenacious-V Redux
irony coming from the guy who delivered the Playstation 1.7 to the masses with jaggy-licious display technology that couldn't match the Dreamcast.

Ken is awesome.
bang1nf.gif

chinch said:
irony coming from the guy who delivered the Playstation 1.7 to the masses with jaggy-licious display technology that couldn't match the Dreamcast.
DERAIL OF THE YEAR

egads, man. we've had this fight many times.

As far as the topic, Kutaragi has earned the right to talk. Everybody scoffed when he said "this console war is already over" when referencing the PS2. But of course, the only executive with close to 200 million home consoles sold in two generations is "dillusional".

akascream

Banned
chinch said:

Haha. QUOTED FOR TRUTH. ONE KUTARAGI FUTURE!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Someone needs to interview Itagaki and ask him what he thinks of Kutaragi, and vice versa.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Marconelly said:
Yeah, he's such a little angel who can't go to sleep without dreaming of Ken's resignation hanging over his bed :lol

Indeed. Imagine if when PSone was in its early days as an up-and-comer, Kutaragi had said he wanted Miyamoto's resignation framed in his office - how much of an arrogant asshole would he have been then? Allard's comment is akin to that. That kind of comment is certainly "trash talk" and is in fact much more personal, and highly arrogant given who he's talking about.

I couldn't really give a crap what any of them say, but the double-standard being displayed here is crazy.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Indeed. Imagine if when PSone was in its early days as an up-and-comer, Kutaragi had said he wanted Miyamoto's resignationed framed in his office - how much of an arrogant asshole would he have been then? That kind of comment is certainly "trash talk" and is in fact much more personal, and highly arrogant given who he's talking about.
To me that doesn't even sound like an arrogance anymore, more like hate. But hey, I like to think that all these potshots are just made in jest.

Thric3 said:
Heh. This is gonna be one hell of a console war.
Not really. I think the biggest war was the Genesis vs the SNES, and the PSX vs the N64 was pretty big too. Thanks to Nintendo, this isn't a true out war, at least not yet.

PhatSaqs

Banned
gofreak said:
I couldn't really give a crap what any of them say, but the double-standard being displayed here is crazy.
Im sorry but what double standard???? Allard got fucking honey glazed annd BBQd in the "10 million wins" thread to the tune of 5 or so pages. Of course some people attempted to "interpret" his comments differently just as they've done here.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PhatSaqs said:
Im sorry but what double standard???? Allard got fucking honey glazed annd BBQd in the "10 million wins" thread to the tune of 5 or so pages. Of course some people attempted to "interpret" his comments differently just as they've done here.

I'm not saying there's a general double standard, but for some. Turning around and saying Allard doesn't trash talk..

sangreal

gofreak said:
Turning around and saying Allard doesn't trash talk..

Then prove me wrong with quotes.

Marconelly said:
Yeah, he's such a little angel who can't go to sleep without dreaming of Ken's resignation hanging over his bed :lol

He says he is motivated by the dream of defeating Sony. That doesn't say anything bad about Sony or the PS3.

My point is that he never degrades himself to baseless insults.

*lol* Kuturagi is funny. At E3, I was stuck behind him in the queue for the Sega theatrette for around 10 minutes while Yuji Naka ingratiated himself upon Kutaragi in a shameless manner that stopped short of personally sucking his dick. Naka then bowed several times, RAN OFF TO GET FETCH HIM A DRINK, and I figured "wow, how many opportunities do I get like this?"

So I chat as best I can with him, took a few photos with him holding my PSP and giving the thumbs-up, then he saw the "Xbox" on my name-tag and it all kind of turned weird from there :lol

KK: "So... do you like PS3?"
Me: "Yes of course I do! But where are the games? Are you showing any? Sony never invites me to these things, you know."
(slight awkward pause)
Me: "So are you here to make sure Sega's games doesn't go on Xbox 360??"
KK: "Mmm..." (politely laughs).
Me: "Have you seen any of the Xbox 360 stuff?"
KK: "I've seen some"
Me: "You should see Gears Of War in action. Have you seen that one?"
KK: "Little bit"
Me: "Dude, I can probably sneak you in behind closed doors. Hey, you know what, we're both Asian - why don't we swap name tags? These guys can't tell the difference anyway. You'll get in reeaaal easy!"
KK: "Ummm... Oh look, they are letting us in"

Ken Kutaragi pissing in the GAF Wheaties - you twits can't have it one way. Your dogs trash talk this team, the Sony team is gonna give back in kind.

What's better is they're going to talk shit, and come out on top again next generation. Leaving Microsoft and Nintendo clamoring over who has the biggest portion of second place. :lol

New smack talk makes the wait for a new generation worthwhile. ^_^

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Shompola said:
Itagaki is the arrogant. Ken Kutaragi is the hater. Big difference.

Congratulations on receiving the "Dumbest F*ckin Rationalization of the Day" award.

Both of them and then some have been assholish at times... deal with it. You can admit that and still keep your fanboy badge.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He says he is motivated by the dream of defeating Sony. That doesn't say anything bad about Sony or the PS3.

My point is that he never degrades himself to baseless insults.
Oh, how nice it all sounds when you sugercoat it :) Dreaming about someone losing his job is all of a sudden ethical and likeable. Obviously better than that someone making fun of a competing electronic gaming device?

How about their (Allard+Bach) quote from last month's Edge where they said essentially the same thing as the "Xbox 1.5" even before that monicker came to be:

It was someting like "Yeah, for Sony it made sense to name it Playstation 2 because it was essentially the same thing, same era as PS1 - now we are entering new, HD era, so it doesn't make sense to use numeric increase like that anymore".

Amir0x

Banned
sangreal said:
Then prove me wrong with quotes.

Sure.

Wired said:
"Most people put down flowery, make-the-world-a-better-place, Miss America types of things," Allard says. "I wrote: What gets me out of bed and into the office every day is the thought of Ken Kutaragi's resignation letter, framed, hanging next to my desk."

Source

Was this said in jest? Who knows, It certainly doesn't read like it. But, let me be the first to say that trash talk on this level is infinitely worse than random trash talk against hardware/software.

Was this said in jest? Who knows, It certainly doesn't read like it. But, let me be the first to say that trash talk on this level is infinitely worse than random trash talk against hardware/software.

It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, the Playstation is a tremendous boon to Sony. The Xbox is just an albatross around Microsoft's neck. If anybody is going to be wiping their ass with a resignation letter, it's going to be Kutaragi. :D

Sorry guys, but how many more times does everyone need to be lied to until people realise that Sony is very often full of shit?

Also why aren't images displaying here today?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Or hey, how about that Apprentice spoof from last years E3 (or was it GDC) which had Allard, Bach and Moore against actors portraying the Sony execs as doofuses...

That surely was in no way degrading and baselessly insulting for anyone involved :p

Marconelly said:
Oh, how nice it all sounds when you sugercoat it :) Dreaming about someone losing his job is all of a sudden ethical and likeable. Obviously better than that someone making fun of a competing electronic gaming device?

TRash talking i feel is great for competition it shows personality. I say build on the hatred.

Amir0x

Banned
KyotoMecca said:
Sorry guys, but how many more times does everyone need to be lied to until people realise that Sony is very often full of shit?

you mean like Microsoft and Nintendo as well? I mean, everyone is full of shit here. That's the whole fucking point.

Shompola

Banned
Marconelly said:
Or hey, how about that Apprentice spoof from last years E3 (or was it GDC) which had Allard, Bach and Moore against actors portraying the Sony execs as doofuses...

That surely was in no way degrading and baselessly insulting for anyone involved :p

Is that the one with Truman?

Amir0x said:
you mean like Microsoft and Nintendo as well? I mean, everyone is full of shit here. That's the whole fucking point.

Well yeah, but nothing tops the whole Emotion Engine / Missles / Supercomputer / Prerendered Astonishing Lies nonsense that SCE subscribes to, it's just in a different league to the lies of both MS and Nintendo.

Amir0x

Banned
KyotoMecca said:
Well yeah, but nothing tops the whole Emotion Engine / Missles / Supercomputer / Prerendered Astonishing Lies nonsense that SCE subscribes to, it's just in a different league to the lies of both MS and Nintendo.

I think they're all pretty much in the same league. And of course, since many of the comments you're discussing have never been proven to come from Sony PR, I'm not one to subscribe to conspiracy theories (particularly IRAQ++). Sony themselves have said their fair share of stupid shit (MATRIX WHAT?), but it's no more or less stupid/bullshit than Microsoft or Nintendo.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
KyotoMecca said:

Yup cause that whole Missile stuff came from Sony... I remember the news article with the quotes.. wait it wasn't an article it was a PR release:

PS2 CAN POWER MISSILES!

mr2mike

Banned
I think the difference in reactions between Allard PR or Kutaragi PR is that with Allard, ou can tell it's marketting hyperbol, it has spunk but you can tell it's innofensive and playful jabs.

Kutaragi's, well, is hard to corner.. it seems like he's just spouting nonsense with a straight face.I mean come on, if they tried to match PS2 with 360, the new console would have to be less powerful than Xbox1... there's a limit to how much you can bend matters for the sake of your own marketting catch phrases.

And Itakagi? well he's just the great king of trash talk, so no one actually takes him seriousel, he's the comedy releif guy.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kutaragi's, well, is hard to corner.. it seems like he's just spouting nonsense with a straight face.=
But how can you know for sure any of these comments are made with a straight face? Don't you think that the very nonsensical nature of them in general suggest they are not very serious?

neo2046

gofreak said:
The full interview is here: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0608/kaigai186.htm

Google's translation, unsurprisingly, is a mess. Can anyone help out?.

:lol :lol :lol forget the interview
the most important in the the article is this pic
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0608/kaigai01.gif

and it seems the webmaster has deleted that large sized pic
no problem, I have :D :lol
http://ranobe.com/up/updata/up41211.jpg

edit: hm.....?? the
function has been removed??

mr2mike

Banned
I dont know, but usually you'd want your PR to have zest... Kutaragi's quote are just comppletely devoid of PR punchlines and sound more like what 12 year olds say to each other at EB.

Tellaerin

GhaleonEB said:
I suppose being a gracious competitor is out of the question, so yeah. Trash talk it is. Though the sheer ego implied by his comments make him sound like a total asshole.

Tell that to our good friend J 'I live to see Kutaragi's resignation letter framed on my wall' Allard. IIRC, he's the one that came out swinging in the next-gen media wars--he's been very forthcoming with the smirky remarks about Sony and the PS3 architecture since day one. That sent a very clear message: Americans respect (and expect) trash talk, not gracious competition. Kutaragi's apparently attempting to respond in kind, though it doesn't seem to be second nature for him at this point. However, I expect his content and delivery to both improve with time--he's a fast learner, and I'm sure Allard will give him plenty of opportunities to practice. :)

I wish thoughts of developing the world's greatest operating system is what got somebody at MS out of bed and into the office....somebody, anybody, please.

Speevy

Banned
Iwata: "Quit your bitching, ladies. Everyone will forget about your silly machines once the Revolution is realized. Resignation? I'll have your heads pinned on my wall before this is all over."

Tellaerin said:
Tell that to our good friend J 'I live to see Kutaragi's resignation letter framed on my wall' Allard. IIRC, he's the one that came out swinging in the next-gen media wars--he's been very forthcoming with the smirky remarks about Sony and the PS3 architecture since day one. That sent a very clear message: Americans respect (and expect) trash talk, not gracious competition. Kutaragi's apparently attempting to respond in kind, though it doesn't seem to be second nature for him at this point. However, I expect his content and delivery to both improve with time--he's a fast learner, and I'm sure Allard will give him plenty of opportunities to practice. :)
It's all Allard's fault. Kutaragi was forced, forced I tell you. Kutaragi's honour and morality has been compromised by that evil metrosexual, Allard. What other compromises will Allard force Kutaragi to take? I hear Americans relate well to bald men.
:lol :lol :lol

You may rest easy knowing all honor has been restored to Kutaragi.

Top Bottom