• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Interview) Kutagari takes more "shots" at Microsoft

Vince

Banned
Wait, where's the "shots" again? Call me when Kutaragi tells Allard to stop being a f-ing faggot and pull that 50cal bullet he claims to have shot threw a PlayStation2 out of his ass. The only thing resembling a "shot" is the comment that's a quote from a reporter. I was expecting something powerful, instead I got nothing but anti-Sony rhetoric and hate based on nothing.

When Kutaragi does something truely tactless, like say, names the project 'Operation Last Stand in Alaska" or "1000 Kamikaze's over D.C." then give me the heads-up.

I don't even see how the comment on Microsoft being reactive and basing things on the PS2 is wrong, Sony is far beyond Microsoft in creating a true convergence device, CELL|BPA alone puts it heads and sholders above, AND it supports WiFi, Bluetooth, 1000Base-T, MemoryStick, CF, SD, et al, et infinitum. Whatever.

VALIS

Tellaerin said:
Tell that to our good friend J 'I live to see Kutaragi's resignation letter framed on my wall' Allard. IIRC, he's the one that came out swinging in the next-gen media wars--he's been very forthcoming with the smirky remarks about Sony and the PS3 architecture since day one. That sent a very clear message: Americans respect (and expect) trash talk, not gracious competition. Kutaragi's apparently attempting to respond in kind, though it doesn't seem to be second nature for him at this point. However, I expect his content and delivery to both improve with time--he's a fast learner, and I'm sure Allard will give him plenty of opportunities to practice. :)

Funny, I don't remember typing gamefaqs.com into the URL bar...

Vince

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Your prickish attitude and posts are very annoying.

Hah, alrighty. Perhaps because you have 2,595 posts of which I'd be challenged to find a seminal or otherwise emergent thought anywhere; although I may come across as a 'prick' to some, my few posts have more content and less of the kindergarden thinking than your waste of bandwith. But, just food for thought.

You have a super night.

Amir0x

Banned
Vince said:
Hah, alrighty. Perhaps because you have 2,595 posts of which I'd be challenged to find a seminal or otherwise emergent thought in, although I may come across as a 'prick' my few posts have more content and less of the kindergarden thinking than your wast of bandwith. But, just food for thught.

Have a super night.

*SUPER UPPERCUT*

*crowd roars*

[Announcer: As you can see here, folks, Vince went for the traditional route of undermining Hedgehog's competence as a poster by drawing the attention to what he feels is a general incompetence in his statements. A very subtle and perhaps understated movie, but a classic nonetheless.]

MightyHedgehog said:

Don't let the bed bugs bite.

*DODGE/STOMACH JAB*

*crowd gasps*

[Announcer: In a rather surprising turn of events, Hedgehog comes out with the extremely restrained dismissal. This move can really send shockwaves through the arena, allowing the air to settle and perhaps giving Hedgehog the higher moral ground. Let's see what happens next.]

Speevy

Banned
Vince said:
Hah, alrighty. Perhaps because you have 2,595 posts of which I'd be challenged to find a seminal or otherwise emergent thought anywhere; although I may come across as a 'prick' to some, my few posts have more content and less of the kindergarden thinking than your waste of bandwith. But, just food for thught.

Have a super night.

Words are good.

Amir0x

Banned
Speevy said:
Words are good.

[Announcer: Security has just come to remove what looks like a disgruntled fan trying to enter the arena. This is the type of action you can expect in these fights though, Bob!]

When Kutaragi does something truely tactless, like say, names the project 'Operation Last Stand in Alaska" or "1000 Kamikaze's over D.C." then give me the heads-up.

"Operation Midway" did make me cringe when I first read that. Even for the always shameless PR game, that was highly potent douchebaggery from whoever at MS decided to go with that one.

Just sayin'.

Chrono

Banned
What's Operation Midway?

Anyway what would be fun is nintendo coming out and owning both Sony and MS next-gen. I don't think miyamoto or iwata would ever 'trash-talk' the competition though.

Amir0x said:
[Announcer: Security has just come to remove what looks like a disgruntled fan trying to enter the arena. This is the type of action you can expect in these fights though, Bob!]

:lol :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Part 2: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0609/kaigai187.htm

Something tells me there's a lot of info in there that'd be of interest to me and others re. Linux and possible development on PS3, but unfortunately it's hard to reach conclusions without a better translation..

From what I can make out, HDD as standard isn't likely - but SCE is examining the possibility of including Linux with all HDDs and there's an awful lot of talk of development of software beyond games.

Machine translation:

SCEI Kutaragi president interview (part 2)

"Full function Linux is installed in HDD of PS 3. "

- Age of network drive

【Q】 Local HDD is not recorded by default though PLAYSTATION 3 is a spec only in that. Why is it?

【 Kutaragi 】 HDD is not put in default. Because it is insufficient no matter how it puts it. The following are already correct and network drives. (Storage :. )In the Cell server, it is possible to access it from anywhere via the network. House..friend..house..provide..logical..same..network drive..see.Such the world.

There is saying if HDD doesn't attach to the main body even if it says. Therefore, 2.5 inches HDD are put this time, and 80GB or 120GB enters. However because it is necessary to make OS the first with the unit though it is not worth at all. When the attestation of the computer is taken from ..terabite (..drinking.. storage).. here (server on the network) in the network drive with and I , unit, the drive where do the first of OS is needed.

- OS is put because it is considered as a computer.

【Q】 Is OS to use it as a computer made the first?

【 Kutaragi 】Nintendo in saying and the same industry for a long time when we are computers asserts the desire that I am amusing to be a toy toward outside. Therefore, the public office seems that it is a toy though here makes the importing and exporting management at the super computer level necessary.

Even PlayStation 2 is ..game machine.. though moves a terrible chip like Emotion Engine to Linux making it. It was thought that it improved a little because Microsoft had come from the IT industry. However, because they do not want also to destroy their businesses, curettage is not said. Xbox is called a game machine because it dares to be thought that it embarrasses it when Windows moves by Xbox. It is unbearably troublesome.

This time, it makes it to the location that we (PS3 Smile are super computers. However, OS is made the first because of there is a person who doesn't see as a computer if not applying as a computer. Multi OS moves at the same time in Cell. Therefore, OS is moved as it is, and there is HDD because it is a yes computer.

Therefore, …… and it is extra to think that it is likely to put it of Linux because of the beginning (To HDD). It will apply as computer

【Q】 Linux comes out as OS moved on Cell.

【 Kutaragi 】 Linux becomes the first chance in the legacy, too. Because OS is an application program for Cell, it is ..(.. ..laughter... )The kernel becomes a style that it moves with Cell (Haiparbaiza layer of Cell OS), and two or more OS is recorded on that (On a virtual machine) as an application program. Linux is . ..recording naturally... If Linux is recorded, any Lindows is recorded.
Other..OS..vender..put..think..put.By chance, different OS might come out.

- The ecosystem is turned with PLAYSTATION 3.

【Q】 The person who writes the program on that comes out if there is OS. The ecosystem (ecosystem) should turn on Cell so that Cell may succeed as a computer. It is necessary to establish the ecosystem that a lot of people spontaneously write the program of Cell, and it presses the spread of Cell further.

【 Kutaragi 】Does not the ecosystem turn when PLAYSTATION 3 goes out like being so before and Apple Computer is opened?Adobe came out even if Apple did not do everything, it came out what, it took, , ecosystem turned, and it rose when becoming Macintosh. PC was also originally so. Nevertheless (Microsoft : to Windows), because everyone absorbs it, ……. Oh dear, it is not understood though it might be aesthetics (result of expansion) what OS is.

We had made it up to now, and the library was offered, and had been made in-house by the game software manufacturer. However, it might already be impossible. The width or more is necessary no matter what it does. However, I think that it becomes it so. For instance, synchronous software with iTunes came out from the surprise of us by PSP by the swift attack. Various one that moves on that comes out when it seems to be interesting.

【Q】 When software that makes the best use of the advantage of Cell other than the game come to come out one after another, too.

【 Kutaragi 】 It comes what kind of software for you to write on of what. For instance, software that edits the HD image is basically the same as the edit system of non-linear done in the broadcasting station. It is software at the level that try to do on PS3. It is more terrible though the edit system of non-linear is terrible when bringing it on that Cell. The difference comes into view to the wind of cutting it by the span though it manages to do also on PC if it is on PS3. Various applications on PC the other. For instance, photo retouch. I think that the software comes out fast (On PS3), too.

User interface (UI) will become interesting, too. It is made to wait from UI of XP to the following Longhorn for years how many when it is PC. However, here develops faster. For instance, it enters "Minority Report" state if it is an interface (Application can be operated)(movie) operated in the gesture and the word like Itori (EyeToy). Naturally, such evolution is reflected in the game.

【Q】 Is the Cell computer at that time PLAYSTATION 3 form factor?

【 Kutaragi 】 This shape will spread most previously. It is possible to connect also with the keyboard, and all necessary mouths (interface) are attached. Media and the network are good at how much. The general-purpose one is an opening the so much.

For instance, because it is possible to use it for all Linux to open when putting it (The programmer Smile, it is possible to do very. There is Shader about the graphics and it is the same (Provide with the programmability).

- The ecosystem approval is a base of development.

For Sony computer entertainment (SCEI) to aim with PLAYSTATION 3 as reported in the last interview article is to establish PS3 as a real entertainment computer. It is included to make not only the game but also a more variegated application run in that.

However, SCE should start up "Ecosystem" for that with the Cell software. In a word, software doesn't increase then if the ecosystem cannot be tidied so that the business may consist if software for Cell is written. A positive spiral "Software more than → that the business comes to consist of the →Cell software that the number of those who use →Cell that software increases naturally increases appears in Cell" begins to turn when the ecosystem can be done once.

Only this was a source of the success of PC and Macintosh as pointed out by Kutaragi. Therefore, PS3 aims at the same as for SCE. It seems to examine putting Linux OS of full by default in HDD this time for that. In a word, there is OS of a full function unlike the situation to date this time when PS3+HDD is bought, and it is presumed to come to be able to use it as a computer. Because software is expected increasing ..SCE.. ..troublesome ..all.... spontaneously if it does so
Going out without fail when the executive of, Intel, and Microsoft criticizes Cell is a story of this ecosystem. For instance, the executive of Intel was talking about Cell so at Intel Developer Forum(IDF) of February this year. .."Sony should construct the ecosystem that supports this architecture" Justin Rattner (Jastin Ratonar).. (Intel Senior Fellow,Director,Corporate Technology Group). ..Craig R. Barrett of "Sony should bring the market a quite new software system" and "In a sense, it is more difficult to obtain OS and the application than to make the processor" (Craig and R and Barret).. (Intel,Chairman of the Board).

To understand from the word of this Kutaragi is to understand this point as for the SCE side. In a word, the necessity for spreading OS is recognized as a soil where software arises. And, it tries to take a concrete means for that. Of course, the development environment that various elements are necessary, and matched to the structure and the programming model that Cell is special especially in addition is important for the programming. It seems no expensive system of the NDA base it for the game development, and important an easier environment.

It is software that SCE expects in the Cell application that made the best use of a huge floating point arithmetic performance of course. There are many software fields where it seems to obtain other favors though the HD Movie edit etc. are the barrel one. Cell will be skillful most in the application in the field a so-called "RMS", that is, "Recognition (recognition)", "Mining (Mining)", and "Synthesis (synthesis)". Even if it is not so, the level of plug-in of the photo retouch is large the effect. Moreover, there is a possibility that the application that SCEI doesn't assume comes out fast, too, if software arises spontaneously, and the ecosystem expands.

" "Because of application program OS and Kutaragi talk in Cell by the way because Cell has the virtual machine support function. This is a function to make two or more virtual CPU on CPU, and for "VMM(Virtual Machine Manager)" to be able to make OS different on each virtual CPU the first to support with hardware.

It is VMM software of the type that is called "Hyper visor" in general that runs for Cell at a deepest privileged level of CPU, and comes to be do the first of OS of a general meaning on that. Haiparbaiza layer (VMM) of this Cell OS starts first, and it is presumed that it is a mechanism that the upper layer layer of Linux and Cell OS starts on that though in Cell, there is original OS that is called Cell OS. Therefore, OS such as Linux is seen from Haiparbaiza and the one of similar to the application.

This mechanism of Cell is a function similar to "Pacifica (Pacifica)" of "VT(Virtualization Technology)" and AMD of Intel. Only IBM abundantly has this function of depending to begin with in the mainframe IBM etc. in that sense in the technology that has introduced it.

thorns

Banned
ops, I made a new thread about this, didn't see you posted.. From what I understand he says no hdd by default because it wouldn't be enough, with 2.5" it's possible to add 80gb or 120gb etc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
thorns said:
ops, I made a new thread about this, didn't see you posted.. From what I understand he says no hdd by default because it wouldn't be enough, with 2.5" it's possible to add 80gb or 120gb etc.

Actually, I think he's saying they didn't put in a fixed HD because no matter how big it is, it'll always eventually be insufficient. So instead of having a built in HD, they have attachable (upgradeable) HDs, and want to push access to network storage.

It's hard to tell what exactly he's saying there.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
I'm sure that we can all handle this situation maturely like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right MR. POOPY PANTS!?!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Interesting how MS went after the PS2 with the 360 considering that the original Xbox was already stronger to begin with.
I think his quote is actually a lot less ridiculous than it seems at first, and is not at all insulting as it seems at first. Take a look:

"They were looking at 2, and that's why [Xbox 360] became like that."

Indeed if you look at PS2, it essentially has three CPU cores (MIPS+VU0+VU1) and also has EDRAM on GPU, and has unified memory. Xbox 360 also has 3 CPU cores (symmetrical, of course, so I know it's different but it's three of them) and also has EDRAM on GPU and unified memory. On the other hand, PS3 deviates from that concept quite a bit. Most notably no EDRAM on GPU, and two memory pools.

So his comment was probably more along the lines "Ha, they saw what we did in PS2 and tried to build and improve upon that, but we decided to go with this whole new thing" than along the lines of "haha, Xbox 360 sucks, grafixx looks like pS2, lol!"

Tellaerin

VALIS said:
Funny, I don't remember typing gamefaqs.com into the URL bar...

No, you typed 'new.ga-forum.com'. You were looking for the Team Xbox forums, right? Try again--I'm sure you'll get it right next time. :)

Top Bottom