• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing Meta Quest 3 + Lower Prices for Quest 2

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Meta Quest 3 Coming This Fall ($499)+ Lower Prices for Quest 2 ($299)​

Takeaways​

• Meta Quest 3, our next-generation virtual and mixed reality headset, will ship this fall.
  • Meta Quest 3 features higher resolution, stronger performance, breakthrough Meta Reality technology, and a slimmer, more comfortable headset.
  • Starting June 4, we’re lowering the price of Quest 2 to $299.99 USD for the 128GB SKU to help even more people access the magic of VR.

EDIT: Quest2/Quest Pro to get a performance boost.

But that’s not all! In an upcoming software update, we’re updating the Quest 2 and Quest Pro GPU and CPU. Quest 2 and Pro will see an up-to 26% CPU performance increase with an up-to 19% GPU speed increase for Quest 2 and 11% for Quest Pro. As developers take advantage of these changes, you can expect smoother gameplay, a more responsive UI, and richer content on both headsets. And we’re enabling Dynamic Resolution Scaling for both Quest 2 and Quest Pro, so games and apps can take advantage of increased pixel density without dropping frames.

Last edited:

GHG

This is excellent news for current quest 2 owners:

But that’s not all! In an upcoming software update, we’re updating the Quest 2 and Quest Pro GPU and CPU. Quest 2 and Pro will see an up-to 26% CPU performance increase with an up-to 19% GPU speed increase for Quest 2 and 11% for Quest Pro. As developers take advantage of these changes, you can expect smoother gameplay, a more responsive UI, and richer content on both headsets. And we’re enabling Dynamic Resolution Scaling for both Quest 2 and Quest Pro, so games and apps can take advantage of increased pixel density without dropping frames.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Five hundred fucking quid??

Omg Wtf GIF

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
They will be. It literally says the existing library of 500+ games will be available.
That’s great to hear. Then I might jump on board, after a few patches/updates. I jumped in way too soon on the Quest 2 and have a 32GB model with no chance at upgrading storage.

Will Quest 3 offer storage upgrades via mini SD card?

Anyone know the resolution of this yet? Just says 'high resolution' in the announcment. Wouldn't mind upgrading from my G2 but I ain't going back to no screendoor effect after having 2160 per eye.

Sleepwalker

Five hundred fucking quid??

Omg Wtf GIF
Going to be like $850 CAD, rip.
From a pure user perspective which headset do you prefer overall?
The quest is far more versatile and compatible with PC. The PSVR2 is of much much higher quality, from build materials to fidelity. I enjoy it far more but find myself going back to the quest for quick sessions of games like beat saber or walkabout minigolf. Can't be arsed to turn on the PS5 and hook up the PSVR2 unless its for the big hitters like horizon gt7 or re8 most of the times.

gamer82

nice now to decide between this and psvr2 for christmas , but do like the new look hopefully you dont see the edge of the lenses this time around and its less blurry.

GHG

I wonder how much perfomance gains they get with the CPU\GPU upgrade and the dynamic rendering combined?

Yeh it will be interesting to see how much will be gained in total. Only concern I have will be what that means for battery life, so hopefully it's a setting that you can select if you want/need it.

Chukhopops

Ok I'm in, hoping (and guessing) it will support PC integration like Quest 2.

Only annoying this is I doubt the prescription lenses I bought for the Rift S will work so that's another 50 down.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Doesn’t matter since it’s way more comfortable. Returned my PSVR2 after two weeks of getting sick trying to find the “sweet spot”. It’s a heavy, blurry mess.

Quest 2 works for me every time with minimal calibration. I’m playing games in < 2 minutes every time I put it on.

Fair play. I'be had zero issues with the PSVR2, but you're certainly not the only one to report it not working for them. The Quest 2 is far less comfortable for me.

Season 5 Idk GIF by Paramount+

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It's the same price as PSVR2, but will be a lot less powerful.
Can someone break it down for me? I want to buy a set but don’t know which. I’m thinking the psvr2 for my ps5 but might get a new headset for pc as I’m looking at building a new one any ways

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Can someone break it down for me? I want to buy a set but don’t know which. I’m thinking the psvr2 for my ps5 but might get a new headset for pc as I’m looking at building a new one any ways

The PSVR2 is the best place to go if you want the highest visual fidelity games, with the least amount of hassle. I find PCVR to be way too finnicky with all the settings you have to fuck about with to get things in a sweet spot. PSVR2 is the best of both worlds... easy to use, with the most advanced games.

If you're after a lot more variety, and are prepared to deal with the hassle, PCVR is better. But I haven't touched my Quest 2 with my PCVR link set up since I got PSVR2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom