• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing Meta Quest 3 + Lower Prices for Quest 2

gothmog

Gold Member
Looks like a thoughtful upgrade to the Quest2. I just wish I didn't have to give Zuck money. I am glad we're seeing headsets get better and better. Given the Metaverse crash and burn I expected a Meta to take a giant step back on VR.

Power isn’t going to be what pushes VR forward. Accessibility, cost and killer lineup will. The Quest 3 allowing Quest 2 games to be played is huge. Makes people’s choice a lot easier.

No, power will be what pushes it forward

I don’t think these platforms will have sticky lineups

If I have a Quest 2, what does the Quest 3 have that justifies buying a new headset? The leap simply isn’t good enough. Hence why power pushes it forward

Romulus

I think what makes quest shine is wireless, mods, and access to pcvr.
I mean playing jedi outcast/academy, Wolfenstein, all retro Dooms, Morrowind(in development) with mods on a standalone is just great.
Playing at a hotel is awesome. Now its waaay smaller. But now we'll be seeing alot better looking games. 2x the gpu power with optimization will put us at a surprisingly high level because the gpu was the Achilles heel of quest 2.
I can see me using this more than my psvr2.

Not to mention, I own about 30+ games on quest 2 that transfer over to quest 3 with higher resolution.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Doesn’t matter since it’s way more comfortable. Returned my PSVR2 after two weeks of getting sick trying to find the “sweet spot”. It’s a heavy, blurry mess.

Quest 2 works for me every time with minimal calibration. I’m playing games in < 2 minutes every time I put it on.

Same goes for me on the PSVR2. I'm up and running in < 2 minutes. The PS5 only takes 10 seconds to boot up. The headset takes 90 seconds to pull out, turn on and get set properly on my head.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm expecting to see some stunning looking VR games using that hardware. Stuff that looks pretty close to PC.

Chukhopops

Can someone break it down for me? I want to buy a set but don’t know which. I’m thinking the psvr2 for my ps5 but might get a new headset for pc as I’m looking at building a new one any ways
If you have a decent computer, an existing library (Oculus or Steam VR) or want to use it standalone for 360 movement it’s a no-brainer. Plus there are some alternate VR uses which aren’t available on a locked ecosystem.

If you want to stay in the console ecosystem and don’t mind being tethered then it’s also an easy decision.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Same goes for me on the PSVR2. I'm up and running in < 2 minutes. The PS5 only takes 10 seconds to boot up. The headset takes 90 seconds to pull out, turn on and get set properly on my head.
Doesn’t matter since it’s way more comfortable. Returned my PSVR2 after two weeks of getting sick trying to find the “sweet spot”. It’s a heavy, blurry mess.

Quest 2 works for me every time with minimal calibration. I’m playing games in < 2 minutes every time I put it on.

HA! My Nintento Virtual Boy is always on.. and ready to go.

Kenny Powers Finger Guns GIF by MOODMAN

Romulus

I'm expecting to see some stunning looking VR games using that hardware. Stuff that looks pretty close to PC.

Yeah that's what people aren’t understanding. When pushed these newer processors are crazy fast. I mean just the optimization of quest 2 pushing 72-90fps games at over 1200p is pretty insane. But it's gpu was underpowered. They're directly addressing that.

I think we should wait and see first.

For sure there will be exclusives too.

Last edited:

Banned
I’d primarily use it for pc games. Do I need to buy anything like controllers too?

no, it comes with controllers.

all you need is a compatible USB cable, or you can use it wirelessly, but that has more latency of course.

Last edited:
As a Quest 2 owner I have to say... I'm never buying any headset that doesn't have full display port/mini hdmi input... PC VR may not have some exclusives titles, but has way more options with Mods, Special software(if you know what I mean), and game prices(the difference is so big that you can literally buy another HDM with the savings).

Be stuck in a closed platform(mobile and on top of that controlled by one of the worst companies in existence) is very bad and not worth it.

Last edited:

decisions

Well that’s great for you but since the PSVR2 doesn’t work for a lot of people like me, it’s a DOA platform. Sony is simply behind. Other tech companies are going to push the form factor to be way more comfortable and working for more head/eye shapes and leave PSVR2 in the dust.

Romulus

2x the Quest 2 isn't going to be HQ PCVR level. Probably 75% close.

That's actually mind blowingly good considering how small it is.

But I think the 2x power thing is a bit underrated. Today we'll likely see why. And it's not just the gpu. More/faster RAM and the cpu gets a big bump.

Even playing red matter 2 on psvr2 and quest 2 is absolutely a big jump, but I can't help but be much more impressed with the quest 2 version. It looked like something running on a 1060 pcvr. That's a mobile processor from 3 years ago.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Well that’s great for you but since the PSVR2 doesn’t work for a lot of people like me, it’s a DOA platform. Sony is simply behind. Other tech companies are going to push the form factor to be way more comfortable and working for more head/eye shapes and leave PSVR2 in the dust.

Who are you talking about besides Meta?

mckmas8808

But I think the 2x power thing isn't a bit underrated. Today we'll likely see why. And it's not just the gpu. More/faster RAM and the cpu gets a big bump.

Even playing red matter 2 on psvr2 and quest 2 is absolutely a big jump, but I can't help but be much more impressed with the quest 2 version. It looked like something running on a 1060 pcvr. That's a mobile processor from 3 years ago.

I'm curious too because I'm pro-VR and will never be anti-MetaQuest. I'm hoping Facebook does this right for the industry's sake.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

But I think the 2x power thing is a bit underrated. Today we'll likely see why. And it's not just the gpu. More/faster RAM and the cpu gets a big bump.

Yes. Red Matter 2 on Quest 2 looks amazing. I’ve seen a lot worse looking PC games.

So its stand alone but still easy to plug into a PC?

Its only downside is eye tracking and foveat rendering. Shame..Still think i'm in though to replace my old Rift S.

Virtual Desktop and Air link are not good enough, specially you have beefy PC that can crank the resolution/fps through the roof. I'm yet to see the final spec sheet for this thing, but without a proper way to have a lossless video connection with PC this thing will still be very limited.

StereoVsn

That's pretty interesting. Too bad there is no foveated rendering and controllers look a bit suspect, but reviews should be interesting.

I also wonder if wireless PC connection will be improved.

I heard it’s heavier despite being 40% smaller, I hope that’s debunked as the weight is a bigger issue than the size

Romulus

Virtual Desktop and Air link are not good enough, specially you have beefy PC that can crank the resolution/fps through the roof. I'm yet to see the final spec sheet for this thing, but without a proper way to have a lossless video connection with PC this thing will still be very limited.

Disagree there. That's one of the things that blew me away was just how good the wireless option was for PCVR. I just played through half life 2 in VR and the resolution was at 150% through and it ran butter smooth for the entire game. I had one hiccup but it was my fault. Alyx was much the same. I've tried back and forth wired and the extremely slight difference was no worth the loss of freedom.

hlm666

Pancake lenses and the pro self tracked controllers, they could still be taking a hit on this just not as much as the quest 2 at release. When are they doing the thing showing the games that was supposed to be the 1st of june?

Disagree there. That's one of the things that blew me away was just how good the wireless option was for PCVR. I just played through half life 2 in VR and the resolution was at 150% through and it ran butter smooth for the entire game. I had one hiccup but it was my fault. Alyx was much the same. I've tried back and forth wired and the extremely slight difference was no worth the loss of freedom.

I know what you mean... You must be one of those people are less prone to understand details and fps in games... Kinda sad(or maybe the opposite)

Quest 2 airlink has a 200mbs h264 image quality vs a raw 17gbs of a display port(1.2) and most people I talk to complain about the image quality(understandably), but people like you keep saying that airlink is perfect and have not artifacts/latency whatsoever.

Last edited:

Romulus

I know what you mean... You must be one of those people are less prone to understand details and fps in games... Kinda sad(or maybe the opposite)

Quest 2 airlink has a 200mbs h264 image quality vs a raw 17gbs of a display port(1.2) and most people I talk to complain about the image quality(understandably), but people like you keep saying that airlink is perfect and have not artifacts/latency whatsoever.

Your first paragraph reads like a toddler wrote it, but you're saying I can't "understand details."

Not to mention, no where did I say it's perfect. You said that.

"Most people you talk to" lol. You haven't even used it.

I'm actually hyper aware to fps drops and latency, it just doesn't affect me much. Having said that it's minimal. Never said it was perfect but to this day I have to stop sometimes and remind myself "holy shit this is completely wireless." Never thought this level if quality would be available now.
Others can attest to that here as well.

cyberheater

That’s the Meta Quest Gaming Showcase started.

Your first paragraph reads like a toddler wrote it, but you're saying I can't "understand details."

Not to mention, no where did I say it's perfect. You said that.

"Most people you talk to" lol. You haven't even used it.

I'm actually hyper aware to fps drops and latency, it just doesn't affect me much. Having said that it's minimal. Never said it was perfect but to this day I have to stop sometimes and remind myself "holy shit this is completely wireless." Never thought this level if quality would be available now.
Others can attest to that here as well.

I don't know what you can or can not.

But you may be "less sensitive" (I'm really hard to use words that doesn't hurt your feelings this time) to latency(which also could read slow brain...).

About the image quality yes you can have an "almost lossless compression from 17gb to 200mb using h264" (/s, to help this brain of yours)

Romulus

I don't know what you can or can not.

But you may be "less sensitive" (I'm really hard to use words that doesn't hurt your feelings this time) to latency(which also could read slow brain...).

About the image quality yes you can have an "almost lossless compression from 17gb to 200mb using h264" (/s, to help this brain of yours)

Reread your posts before trying to sound smart about things you're never used.

Buggy Loop

There’s a decompression directly on chipset though so yeah, what goes in the network is not representative of what you see.

Otherwise there would be a huge uproar for any monitors with DSC.

The new snapdragon gen has AV1 decode. It’ll be even better.

hlm666

hurry the fuck up Valve, release your response!!! I will give money to facebook for Beat Saber and HL Alyx.
If your into beatsaber meta own that developer now so beatsaber 2 could very well be meta/oculus exclusive, just something to consider.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
No, power will be what pushes it forward

I don’t think these platforms will have sticky lineups

If I have a Quest 2, what does the Quest 3 have that justifies buying a new headset? The leap simply isn’t good enough. Hence why power pushes it forward
If power pushed VR forward, then other headsets should have killed the Quest 2.

There’s a decompression directly on chipset though so yeah, what goes in the network is not representative of what you see.

Otherwise there would be a huge uproar for any monitors with DSC.

The new snapdragon gen has AV1 decode. It’ll be even better.
AV1 is huge and will be1.5 upgrade over H265( which is already very good), but you're forgetting about latency and both h265 and av1 are about 30% slower to decode than h264 which is probably the reason meta caped airlink to h264 even though it supports hardware h265 decoding.

Top Bottom