• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing Meta Quest 3 + Lower Prices for Quest 2

Chukhopops

Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

You are right about one thing. I am not paying for two ecosystems, I am paying for three if you count PCVR separate.

Why would VR be any different than any other gaming space when it comes to supporting multiple options? Many people have multiple consoles/PC.
Right now there are 4 games on PSVR 2 you cannot play on another platform, or 3 if you consider Village has a PCVR mod.

Compare that to how many games are exclusive to Nintendo or Sony platforms and you'll see what's very different between the VR and console markets.

It does have a cost, but not so much that you can ignore millions of VR headsets. It doesn't cost "THAT" much. Plus PSVR2 will be the 2nd best-selling VR headset line on planet Earth! That matters. Only a VR fanboy hater would think otherwise.

And this whole conversation is stupid. All VR gamers should be rooting for all other VR devices to win. It's not a competition, it's collaboration. Even Meta are putting their first-party games on PSVR2.
I think you are throwing all logic out of the window here, maybe because you're passionate about the topic and defaulting to childish name calling.

Minsc

Gold Member
Right now there are 4 games on PSVR 2 you cannot play on another platform, or 3 if you consider Village has a PCVR mod.

Compare that to how many games are exclusive to Nintendo or Sony platforms and you'll see what's very different between the VR and console markets.

I'd give PS VR2 Village, the mod does not compare really. The gunplay is much worse (which is honestly one of the main draws), there's no dual wielding (PS VR2 you can use guns in both hands), there's lots of missing special weapons and even the knife is way different in PS VR2 it can be thrown. Plus the flash light and even more differences.

That's kinda like saying the Switch has no exclusives anymore cause I can play them all on my smartphone now.

Buggy Loop

Meh. I'm good.

Punch Jab GIF by PlayStation
Coming Through Oh Yeah GIF by PlayStation
Gran Turismo Ps5 GIF by PlayStation

the-avengers-avengers.gif

eye-tracking.gif

world.gif

08495a3fd2e50df8747bcb9ad013931f168addd4.gifv

ebd09ce02b4b9b7c3d59eb442ee6afe22f20d291.gif

Hungry Season 1 GIF by The Come Up

And F1 2023 ;)

They own these studios :
  • Beat games : Beat Saber, might have heard of it
  • Sanzaru Games : Asgard's Wrath
  • Ready at Dawn : Lone Echo 1 & 2
  • Downpour Interactive : Onward
  • BigBox : Population : one
  • Within : Supernatural (fitness)
  • Twisted Pixel games : Wilson's heart, Defector, Path of the Warrior
  • Armature Studio : RE 4 VR
  • Camouflaj : Iron Man VR

But i'm sure you rushed in the thread to really look into PCVR/Oculus

Michael Scott Wink GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I think you are throwing all logic out of the window here, maybe because you're passionate about the topic and defaulting to childish name calling.
So out of all the PSVR2 games, there's only 4 VR games not on PC?

So RE, GT, Horizon and one more?

Minsc

Gold Member

That's where it makes a bit of a difference if it's your first headset or second or third+. If it's your first, that 4 turns in to 40+. So not a problem for me!

Even so, a game like RE8 VR (or Alyx or whatever other VR experience clicks with you) is such a unique experience, so different and new, horrifying, captivating, immersive, breathtaking, exhilarating, I can't really think of anything that compared to it since FFVII from the 90s (and there's honestly probably more pivotal games to pick than that, it's just a better example for most people). VR might have less games, but the experience has the potential to be bigger than anything you've played in a long time.

It's just a shame it struggles so much, because it really brings so much more to gaming, and we may never really get to see it's fullest potential had it caught on to the point it actually could rival a console with exclusive AAA titles.

reinking

Gold Member

I think you are throwing all logic out of the window here, maybe because you're passionate about the topic and defaulting to childish name calling.....
...and?? That does not mean there are not people that will buy both. I am one of them.

Fredrik

20+ million in total, but how many of those were active and buying software the last 4 years? How many updates have we gotten on sales recently? I did a quick search and the only thing recent I found was Gorn a few weeks ago celebrating 1.5m copies sold, but Gorn released in 2019 over 4 years ago. AAA developers probably view that as a nightmare, they want 1.5m in one year at the latest.
In the past when there were no backward or forward compatibility they went in blind day 1 when a new platform launched. Zero million users, zero active users, still ready for big investments. It was a big deal to be a launch game or at least a launch window game. Bethesda planned to have Oblivion on Xbox 360 day 1, it got a slight delay of a couple months but it wasn’t a wait and see approach to see if the platform would succeed but a polish delay. Why were they investing so big there? Where are the big third party games for Quest 2? Or now for Quest 3? Or PSVR2? AAA devs/publishers are essentially killing every attempt for VR to become big right now. And for every VR user that has stopped using their headsets because there weren’t coming any big games any future VR headset has probably lost a potential customer as well. It’ll be a ”Been there, done that, wasn’t for me.” scenario.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Number 2 in a small market is nothing to be proud of son.

PSVR didn’t sell much at all and PSVR2 trajectory is even worse.

Who is going to risk millions of dollars on a VR game that nobody bought?

Face it, VR gaming is dead.
Except it’s not. Psvr2 is tracking ahead of 1.

Chukhopops

As far as I can tell yes, and the fourth one is Fantavision. Now it’s possible I missed an announcement somewhere.
...and?? That does not mean there are not people that will buy both. I am one of them.
Sure it will happen but I don’t think it will happen a lot, because there’s not that many exclusives to make it worth.

Buggy Loop

Form factor is still way too bulky.

We’ll get to this form factor in next wave probably

Meta_Holocake_Research_Prototype_Reality_Labs-375x211.jpg

Apple might be close (but not as small) to that form factor. But at stupid prices, and doesn’t have the varifocal of the holocake 2 which will be a game changer in VR optics as now the focus distance is fixed, varifocal will change it on the fly depending on where you look.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
We’ll get to this form factor in next wave probably

Meta_Holocake_Research_Prototype_Reality_Labs-375x211.jpg

Apple might be close (but not as small) to that form factor. But at stupid prices, and doesn’t have the varifocal of the holocake 2 which will be a game changer in VR optics as now the focus distance is fixed, varifocal will change it on the fly depending on where you look.

I wonder why headsets don't ever provide any support over the top of your head? It seems to make such a big difference, especially in games you need to jump around a lot. Most people who mod'ed a PS VR2 to have an additional velcro strap to support the headset over the top of your head say the comfort skyrockets. I think the Quest 2 is the same way, all I know is out of the box it's all but unusable and with the comfort mod it's turns it to god-tier comfort. I'm not sure if the Quest 3 will be comfortable out of the box unlike the Quest 2, but the lack of any strap over your head gives me doubts.

Minsc

Gold Member
The fourth title can be RE4, and the fifth can be RE1 and sixth can be RE2 and seventh can be RE3... RE seems to be just about the only hybrid game Sony thinks people want in VR haha. :messenger_crying:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Me too!!!! If Quest 3 can become the baseline next year, VR gaming will be able to hit the next level.

I think these AR games look like utter trash! I hate where AR gaming is right now. But you gotta be born before you crawl so no complaints.

It does have a cost, but not so much that you can ignore millions of VR headsets. It doesn't cost "THAT" much. Plus PSVR2 will be the 2nd best-selling VR headset line on planet Earth! That matters. Only a VR fanboy hater would think otherwise.

And this whole conversation is stupid. All VR gamers should be rooting for all other VR devices to win. It's not a competition, it's collaboration. Even Meta are putting their first-party games on PSVR2.
Sony aren't really collaborating though - their headset isn't compatible, they seem to have exclusives on games like RE4 remake and RE Village. Facebook is way more collaborative than Sony let that sink in. I do want PSVR2 to succeed but I wish that Sony would recognize that the walled garden needs to come down.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sony aren't really collaborating though - their headset isn't compatible, they seem to have exclusives on games like RE4 remake and RE Village. Facebook is way more collaborative than Sony let that sink in. I do want PSVR2 to succeed but I wish that Sony would recognize that the walled garden needs to come down.

To be fair they're funding the ports and it's not like they'd happen otherwise is what the common belief is. I don't think Quest's RE4 is on PSVR1 either... but the bigger issue with RE7/8/4 for the PSVR1/2 is even Quest 3 (hell even the apple VR set for $3000) couldn't run them. So yeah, they're on their headsets because they want to sell their headsets, otherwise there'd be no exclusives at all. The problem is really they need 3-4x more exclusives than they have to help make the value a bit more compelling.

Last edited:

CS Lurker

I'm really curious to see how tracking will perform. The logic is that it should be at least equal to what we see on quest 2, but I always prefer to wait for the tests. If they work fine, that's it. Time for an upgrade.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Here's what I got about all of those so far:
  1. PSVR 2: The tracking for the controllers is good and accurate,
  2. Quest 2: The controllers are good but not excellent, and they can lose tracking if you move them too much to the side, down or back of your head.
I have never heard this, in fact the opposite where PSVR2 can lose tracking from time to time. I have never had the Quest 2 lose tracking across hundreds of hours of playing standalone and PCVR except when watching a movie or something where the controllers eventually disconnect and get funky for a little bit when you pick them back-up.

I have never heard this, in fact the opposite where PSVR2 can lose tracking from time to time. I have never had the Quest 2 lose tracking across hundreds of hours of playing standalone and PCVR except when watching a movie or something where the controllers eventually disconnect and get funky for a little bit when you pick them back-up.
I have never used psvr2 but the reviews said the tracking ID pretty good.

But I own a quest 2 and yes it loses track if you put the controllers to far to the side of the hdm, happened with me several time in 8 lane beat saber maps where you have to reach pretty far right or left to slash the cube.

Other than my anecdotal testimony we all know that quest cameras only work if the hdm can "see" the controllers.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
can't wait to play Beat Saber and Thumper on a 4th headset now because they are still the only things close to a killer app in VR
Not only thia is true but also the store rarely goes in sale. Imo their better game are Population One and RE4.

The Meta Quest 3 should have been announced with a bunch of good game to look forward to. I remember Zuckerberg announcing GTA on the quest 2 lol. We haven't heard about it since.

Fredrik

The Meta Quest 3 should have been announced with a bunch of good game to look forward to.
Yeah the showcase was surprisingly lowkey. And I doubt that people let their Quest 2 collect dust because of bad graphics, so the 2x GPU talk don’t really increase the hype much. I think everybody is just waiting for higher budget better games at this point. Goes for Quest, PSVR, SteamVR and Apple’s VR/AR too.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I bought a Quest 2 about 2 years ago. My first VR device I was totally impressed the first 3 months. Awesome experience.
Then I started to be accustomed to the 3D feeling and when you get past VR astonishment most games fall apart gameplaywise (to a very few exceptions).
Now my Quest 2 take dust for 1.5 years.
VR is great but it need games with great gameplay for long term involvement.

Fredrik

I bought a Quest 2 about 2 years ago. My first VR device I was totally impressed the first 3 months. Awesome experience.
Then I started to be accustomed to the 3D feeling and when you get past VR astonishment most games fall apart gameplaywise (to a very few exceptions).
Now my Quest 2 take dust for 1.5 years.
VR is great but it need games with great gameplay for long term involvement.
Exactly. I fear that the VR industry will collapse tbh. There are like a million (not really) headsets from a bunch of different hardware manufacturers competing about having the best specs and comfort. But there are almost no big devs competing about having the best system sellers.
What’s the deal?

Indie devs are having an awesome time but the big are just waiting for VR to get bigger. And this is at a point where there are more VR headsets sold than Xbox Series consoles.
When is the market big enough that it’s worth investing properly? Is it ever big enough? Maybe the big devs all hate VR? Maybe they get motion sick?
I don’t get it.

darthvargi

Yep that's my experience. I love my PSVR 2 but the tracking isn't as good as it is on Quest 2. Meta has spent a lot of time building prediction algorithms which I suspect played a role in the Quest 3 build and it has really paid off. PSVR 2 tracking is a bit better than WMR headsets but not at the Quest level for inside out tracking.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yep that's my experience. I love my PSVR 2 but the tracking isn't as good as it is on Quest 2. Meta has spent a lot of time building prediction algorithms which I suspect played a role in the Quest 3 build and it has really paid off. PSVR 2 tracking is a bit better than WMR headsets but not at the Quest level for inside out tracking.
When you say this what do you mean exactly? I've played hours and hours of Synth Riders with no issues, finished RE Village with no issues, and dabbled quite a bit in other games with no issues either. I presume I simply have an idea setup for tracking since I never encounter any issues, but are you referring to the controllers translating your movements, or the headset itself or both?

darthvargi

When you say this what do you mean exactly? I've played hours and hours of Synth Riders with no issues, finished RE Village with no issues, and dabbled quite a bit in other games with no issues either. I presume I simply have an idea setup for tracking since I never encounter any issues, but are you referring to the controllers translating your movements, or the headset itself or both?
Bit of Both. For comparison purposes I've had both the headset and controller lose tracking frequently with Walkabout Golf whereas I never had the headset "swim" playing it on Quest. I've also had my club get stuck on PSVR 2. I suspect it's far more light sensitive than Quest for inside out tracking. I also have that swimming sensation when I'm in the showroom in GT7 sitting inside a vehicle.

With regard to say Village, the tracking is pretty good. I've rarely had any issues there. I think most of the issues I've encountered are caused by lighting and prediction algorithms when your controllers are out of view. I do want to be clear though PSVR 2 has tracking that is more than adequate, I just don't think it's as mature as what Meta has done (they've been using inside out tracking since 2019 so they had a headstart).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

If the shoe fits.......

It's only name calling if you are the fanboy that's doing that type of stuff. If you aren't, then don't worry about it. I'm literally arguing for fewer VR wars.........and yet you don't think that's logical? That's not reasonable?

pachura

1. Any idea how will they handle IPD correction in Quest 3? Only 3 fixed presets like in Quest 2?
2. Will it have a full RGB subpixel matrix, or will it be pentile?
3. What about its FOV - any news on that?
4. I know that pancake lens provide edge-to-edge sharpness which is great, but don't they make the screen dimmer at the same time?

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Power isn’t going to be what pushes VR forward. Accessibility, cost and killer lineup will. The Quest 3 allowing Quest 2 games to be played is huge. Makes people’s choice a lot easier.
Are these titles upgraded to take advantage of the quest 3 or are they just playable? If they are not auto enhanced it might be better to just get a quest 2 now that it’s gotten an cpu / gpu performance uptick and wait till they build out a lineup as the initial offerings for quest 3 looks pretty light and that 128 to 512 price is a scam

Top Bottom