• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing Meta Quest 3 + Lower Prices for Quest 2

Imtjnotu

I think the harsh reality is. For any average person, this destroys the psvr2 before its had chance to get a footing in the market.

Sure, maybe a couple of mill hard-core ps5 fans will pick up psvr 2 but the vast majority of people arw going to just grab this. It's got a 12 million userbasr that's already bought games and others that can play this where ever.

I just hope its a really good step up in graphics and performance.
It's just stated to use the latest snap dragon. I doubt it's that huge of an upgrade unless it's using the full 3tf possible

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's just stated to use the latest snap dragon. I doubt it's that huge of an upgrade unless it's using the full 3tf possible
Quest 3 is quite an upgrade

That next-gen Snapdragon chipset delivers more than twice the graphical performance as the previous generation Snapdragon GPU in Quest 2​

Chukhopops

I don’t get these wars. Both devices are awesome in their own ways. Maybe the world could be a little bit better place if Gaf users would talk about the good things of their headsets instead of what the other headset doesn’t have?

In my opinion:

Compromise Shrug GIF

PSVR2 for the graphics and excellent AAA games. Quest 3 for easy access and pron.
Nobody’s going to buy two headsets and pay for two ecosystems.

In my opinion, unless Sony really invests in some PSVR2 exclusives in the coming months, or at least VR versions of their games, their VR is dead as devs won’t bother with a low install base (when they already struggle with the low attach rate of VR in general).

Minsc

Gold Member

In my opinion, unless Sony really invests in some PSVR2 exclusives in the coming months, or at least VR versions of their games, their VR is dead as devs won’t bother with a low install base (when they already struggle with the low attach rate of VR in general).
Tell that to all the people with 10 headsets haha.

I dunno I feel like it's not that rare someone says they've owned like 4 or 5 headsets and they are in the market for more all the time.

PS VR2 isn't dying by a long shot, I don't think 600,000+ in a couple months is anything to dismiss and really calling it dead when it's not even out for one year and has like over 70 games on it with a few really strong exclusives seems a bit crazy.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I hope this is the end of people buying Meta headsets. I won't be buying an Apple headset but I want it to be successful just so that it fucks over Meta. Based on rumors the headset is going to be really powerful and Apple has been throwing a lot of money to it. If Apple is finding it difficult to manufacture it then the likes of Meta, Valve, or Sony won't get close.

Apple need to do their marketing magic and put on a good presentation to show people why they need one. Could be the next iPhone!

All I really want to see is Meta fail. Please burn them to the ground Apple, you're our only hope!

Minsc

Gold Member
I hope this is the end of people buying Meta headsets. I won't be buying an Apple headset but I want it to be successful just so that it fucks over Meta. Based on rumors the headset is going to be really powerful and Apple has been throwing a lot of money to it. If Apple is finding it difficult to manufacture it then the likes of Meta, Valve, or Sony won't get close.

Apple need to do their marketing magic and put on a good presentation to show people why they need one. Could be the next iPhone!

All I really want to see is Meta fail. Please burn them to the ground Apple, you're our only hope!

A $3000 headset will never be successful in same was as an iPhone no matter what it does. Let's see how it goes though.

Chukhopops

Tell that to all the people with 10 headsets haha.

I dunno I feel like it's not that rare someone says they've owned like 4 or 5 headsets and they are in the market for more all the time.

PS VR2 isn't dying by a long shot, I don't think 600,000+ in a couple months is anything to dismiss and really calling it dead when it's not even out for one year and has like over 70 games on it with a few really strong exclusives seems a bit crazy.
I bought three headsets over the years but I don’t want to lose the Steam / Oculus library I own. I think it’s a big factor for existing VR owners who want to upgrade.

I expect Meta to go really hard on the Quest 3 marketing this fall season, they have bet a lot on VR whereas Sony will be fine regardless of PSVR2’s success. How much is Sony going to invest in exclusives, marketing? That’s the big question in my opinion.

Pelao

Ok..? Am I crazy, you clearly implied that the lack of foveated rendering would make things more blurry. But foveated rendering is only applying sofware pheripheral blur (tracked or fixed) and is definitely not a remedy for fovea blur (which will vary dependent on where you're looking in the physical lens configuration). So what was you talking about then?
I was talking about the blurriness of games that render at a lower resolution than the native resolution of the screen.
I already posted another reply related to this in this very thread, mate. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
On PSVR2 at least, it is quite noticeable when a game does not take advantage of foveated rendering as it looks more blurry in game, due to not optimizing the rendering resolution where you are looking.
If Meta Quest 3 doesn't have a similar system, I assume that either the games will have to be less graphically ambitious to reach the native resolution of the device or they will look blurrier due to not being able to reach it.

Fredrik

Nope. VR gaming is lame after a few week. I have an oculus quest 2 and worse 400 dollars I have ever spent.

Judging by the sales of VR gaming, I think people agree with me.
VR gaming isn’t lame. What’s lame and what makes people stop using their VR headset is the cheap ass mobile like games and VR modes devs pump out instead of the dedicated AAA games everybody wanted but never got.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I was talking about the blurriness of games that render at a lower resolution than the native resolution of the screen.
I already posted another reply related to this in this very thread, mate. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
So it's a very specific scenario. And to me a kinda odd comparison of two different platforms at that. I guess that's what threw me off. Appreciate the explanation anyhow, because now I can see what you mean.

I still don't see how the Quest 3 would be "blurrier" though. I reckon they'll run their games at native resolution either way. It would be super bizarre if they didn't.

Edit: What's with all the laughing emojis btw. All because of a technical discussion, are you that fragile?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Where does the performance boost for the 2 come from? Enhanced lower level APIs, since it says developers will need to take advantage for it?

The price jump to the 3 seems fair though, double the RAM and whatever this new gen Snapdragon is for it will be significantly more future proofed.

VR gaming isn’t lame. What’s lame and what makes people stop using their VR headset is the cheap ass mobile like games and VR modes devs pump out instead of the dedicated AAA games everybody wanted but never got.

Nope, it is lame I’m afraid. No one bought the PSVR for a reason. Expensive hardware for lame gaming experience.

Ronin_7

Banned
That RPG game they showed looked absolutely BONKERS!

Playing in 2D is such SHIT compared to VR, sadly VR barely got any games of that Caliber.

I'm buying this shit with that game for sure, can't believe how amazing it sounds!

The game I'm talking about:

LordOfChaos

What does this even mean tho. We don't know the Gpu it uses or any of the hardware specs. Latest snapdragon Gpu is very vague

The Qualcomm Snapdragon XR2 in the Quest 2 was based off the Snapdragon 835, so I'm guessing whatever this new one is named it's based off the SD 8 Gen 2?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This makes no sense at all! Guys...................this IS NOT A WAR! Devs and publishers (if they are smart) will make their VR games for PCVR, PSVR2, and standalone devices like Quest3. There's zero reason at this point to "NOT" put your VR game on PSVR2, unless it's a paid exclusive.

Fredrik

Nope, it is lame I’m afraid. No one bought the PSVR for a reason. Expensive hardware for lame gaming experience.
No one? PSVR was the best selling VR headset until Quest launched. Now PSVR2 is the #2 best selling after Quest 2 if launches are aligned.
And again the problem isn’t VR gaming, it’s the lower budget games devs make for VR platforms. It’s a weird hen and egg scenario tbh.
What comes first: Great high budget AAA VR games? or a big VR market and active userbase?
I would assume it’s the first. Devs think it’s the second.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Dude being dumb it's not a sin because you born that way but... But you keep saying stupid shit so I think you must have some learning disorder or something...

Since my first post I've been talking about how THE LACK OF DISPLAY PORT is the problem... Right after that you and some others guys started saying that airlink/link gave you a almost perfect image quality, which is objectively not true, then I decided to run some numbers to show how ridiculous it would be to say that h264 at 200mbs would COMPARE to display port which gives a real lossless image quality.

This entire thing is about me saying that IMO quest 3 it's not good enough because of the possible (I'm yet to see the spec sheet) lack of display port which would made PCVR with it a lesser experience.

The one thing I have to give to you is how amazed you got me with this level of retardism you displayed here...

Nice post, you could consider I hadn't seen the prior post about displayport. Your need to insult repeatedly shows a real lack of self esteem.

I never said anything about perfect, I said the engineers found no difference once they were up at that 150 - 200 range vs higher which is why they stopped. Thier decision, not mine.
I guess blame metas engineers then, I'm sure they know nothing.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nope. VR gaming is lame after a few week. I have an oculus quest 2 and worse 400 dollars I have ever spent.

Then you need to stop buying cheap trash games, and try some AAA VR titles. I guarantee you youll change your mind if you play the likes of Alyx, Boneworks, Village, GT7 or Horizon.

Last edited:

Crayon

The quest 2 did gangbusters at 299, and this is 499. On the other hand, even if it sells less, it will be to more interested and active users instead of impulse buyers so that goes a long way towards balancing that out.

I really want q3 to become the baseline asap. There's all these games being announced that are dragging along q2. I think it's really important to serve existing users who aren't ready to upgrade though so you can call it the double edge of cross gen.

Nice post, you could consider I hadn't seen the prior post about displayport. Your need to insult repeatedly shows a real lack of self esteem.

I never said anything about perfect, I said the engineers found no difference once they were up at that 150 - 200 range vs higher which is why they stopped. Thier decision, not mine.
I guess blame metas engineers then, I'm sure they know nothing.
Yes they know a lot... The one that doesn't know shit is you.

Your interpretation of "higher isn't better" is yours alone(I even addressed that in another post).

Like I've said before playing with air link gives indeed a lesser(way lesser) experience to PCVR

Last edited:
No one? PSVR was the best selling VR headset until Quest launched. Now PSVR2 is the #2 best selling after Quest 2 if launches are aligned.
And again the problem isn’t VR gaming, it’s the lower budget games devs make for VR platforms. It’s a weird hen and egg scenario tbh.
What comes first: Great high budget AAA VR games? or a big VR market and active userbase?
I would assume it’s the first. Devs think it’s the second.
Number 2 in a small market is nothing to be proud of son.

PSVR didn’t sell much at all and PSVR2 trajectory is even worse.

Who is going to risk millions of dollars on a VR game that nobody bought?

Face it, VR gaming is dead.

Chukhopops

This makes no sense at all! Guys...................this IS NOT A WAR! Devs and publishers (if they are smart) will make their VR games for PCVR, PSVR2, and standalone devices like Quest3. There's zero reason at this point to "NOT" put your VR game on PSVR2, unless it's a paid exclusive.
Maintaining three versions has a cost, and the install base difference is huge even before Quest 3 launches.

At best they will port on all platforms but I doubt they would make specific adjustments for PSVR if it’s 1:6 from an install base perspective.

Olimbox

Neo Member
I think the PCVR option is omitted here. I used Quest 2 is my PCVR headset more than standalone.
One of the things that is really changing is the emergence of injector VR mods on PCVR. The amount of AAA games you can play is pretty crazy. Cyberpunk, Atomic Heart, and dozens of others are already playable and some are working near flawless. I played RE8 with a mod before PSVR2, and while the PSVR2 version was better overall, the PC version was close. That's considering it was early in development. Also, RE2/3/7 work well. Not sure about 4. That's not counting all the older stuff like Skyrim VR, Fallout 4, and Morrowind. Or the Quest native mods like Doom 3 or Jedi Academy.

I would actually take this path over the 2-4 AAA official ports were getting before this on PCVR because the quality is very good for mods now.
160 hours on Elden Ring in VR on quest2, and just waiting for the dlc to start another run😁

Romulus

Wireless, AR, mods, standalone power increase for AAA games, PCVR option really separates Quest 3 from the pack. We'll see how apple fares, but that'll likely be a $2000+ device.

Last edited:

Reallink

Mobile like games would actually be an improvement. In reality 95% of VR games are amateur indie studios releasing their first game ever, which is below the standard of most mobile games.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

You really have no freaking idea about what you are saying here. I don't get the PSVR2 downplaying here right now? PCVR enthausiasts were almost begging for Sony to release official drivers. I still think they will come to PC and now all of a sudden, PSVR2 is shit? Quest 3 hasn't even sold a unit and yet Devs will leave PSVR2?

All games that were announced also coming to PSVR2. I'm a PC gamer and console gamer, but PC gamers are a weird type of gamers with mostly overpriced hardware that never gets utilized in a good way, and mostly playing some old shit or games that do not even need their 2K GPU. Let's not forget....consoles are mostly the one that push new hardware or tech harder then when it's only released for the PC platform.

Thank Sony for also pushing VR gaming instead of hating. The fact that people still talk about games like Boneworks and HL Alyx shows that PCVR hasn't pushed anything gaming wise in all these years.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Wireless, AR, mods, standalone power increase for AAA games, PCVR option really separates Quest 3 from the pack. We'll see how apple fares, but that'll likely be a $2000+ device.

Yeah, Quest 3 is appealing, but the end game is the most flawless, pristine IQ with a massive FOV, vivid bright HDR colors with perfect blacks and total isolation, in a form factor that's super comfortable for as long as you'd like with no limit to the power behind it capable of displaying any visuals you throw at it. All with wireless, no battery issues, and perfect tracking and controls, with a massive gaming library with exclusives and existing AAA games. Doesn't sound so hard to do does it? But maybe Apple will make a big step forward in some areas, we'll see.

Fredrik

Mobile like games would actually be an improvement. In reality 95% of VR games are amateur indie studios releasing their first game ever, which is below the standard of most mobile games.
It’s frustrating. And I don’t understand how big devs are thinking. Apparently not even 20+ million users on Quest 2 is enough for a big dev to step in with the A team and big IPs. It has sold more than Xbox Series. Why are devs investing big in Xbox but not Quest 2? What’s the deal? Why is there no race to release a system seller title on VR?

It’s frustrating. And I don’t understand how big devs are thinking. Apparently not even 20+ million users on Quest 2 is enough for a big dev to step in with the A team and big IPs. It has sold more than Xbox Series. Why are devs investing big in Xbox but not Quest 2? What’s the deal? Why is there no race to release a system seller title on VR?
20+ million in total, but how many of those were active and buying software the last 4 years? How many updates have we gotten on sales recently? I did a quick search and the only thing recent I found was Gorn a few weeks ago celebrating 1.5m copies sold, but Gorn released in 2019 over 4 years ago. AAA developers probably view that as a nightmare, they want 1.5m in one year at the latest.

darthvargi

What games did you even try in just a few weeks? Did you try any PCVR? I know I'm not going to change your mind but I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Having a Quest 2 and saying you quit playing it in a week or two is crazy to me. Did you play the Beef ports of Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, etc!

How about some underrated games like Resist or Racquet NX? I don't get how you buy a platform to not play the games

VR isn't dying, if anything it's expanding every year. It's like cloud gaming, it's inevitable.

Tygeezy

Why do you prefer one mega corporation over another?

Then you need to stop buying cheap trash games, and try some AAA VR titles. I guarantee you youll change your mind if you play the likes of Alyx, Boneworks, Village, GT7 or Horizon.
I tried some AAA VR titles like RE4. Not my bag and I love RE4 on consoles. One my favorite games of all time.

What games did you even try in just a few weeks? Did you try any PCVR? I know I'm not going to change your mind but I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Having a Quest 2 and saying you quit playing it in a week or two is crazy to me. Did you play the Beef ports of Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, etc!

How about some underrated games like Resist or Racquet NX? I don't get how you buy a platform to not play the games

VR isn't dying, if anything it's expanding every year. It's like cloud gaming, it's inevitable.
I played RE4 which is a game I adored on consoles and thought it was lame in VR. Also played the Star Wars games too. All lame

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I tried some AAA VR titles like RE4. Not my bag and I love RE4 on consoles. One my favorite games of all time.
People will say the Quest version of RE4 VR (the original, not remake) is one of the best VR games ever, better than Alyx (and better than 7 or Village). So if that did nothing for you, and RE4 (the original) you still love, then yeah, you just simply don't care for VR. But understand that's probably a bit atypical, at least in the sense of those who have actually purchased headsets (not people in general).

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

You are right about one thing. I am not paying for two ecosystems, I am paying for three if you count PCVR separate.

Why would VR be any different than any other gaming space when it comes to supporting multiple options? Many people have multiple consoles/PC.

Minsc

Gold Member
Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

You are right about one thing. I am not paying for two ecosystems, I am paying for three if you count PCVR separate.

Why would VR be any different than any other gaming space when it comes to supporting multiple options? Many people have multiple consoles/PC.
Would you buy and own 5 headsets if each had their own with exclusives? Apple, PC, Nintendo, MS and Sony?
of course

reinking

Gold Member
Would you buy and own 5 headsets if each had their own with exclusives? Apple, PC, Nintendo, MS and Sony?
of course
I don't have to buy five. I will buy the ones that interest me and fit my budget. I currently buy 3 different consoles each generation, plus a PC for flat games. Why would VR be any different?

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't have to buy five. I will buy the ones that interest me and fit my budget. I currently buy 3 different consoles each generation, plus a PC for flat games. Why would VR be any different?
I'm just imaging there'd finally be enough VR content that way. I'm not sure how anyone could turn down Zelda/F-Zero/Metroid/Ring Fit/etc in VR on Nintendo's side, Sony surely has enough pull, and so does MS, Valve, and Apple.

See you're just imaging a world like now with consoles and PC in flat gaming where there's overlap and 1,000s of games a year, but I'm thinking of a world where each side has 5-10 must plays, so owning everything would be the way to go.

It would be like if you made your top 20 game list of all time, and gave each of the 5 four of those games basically, so all 5 players would have exclusive enticing libraries.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The quest 2 did gangbusters at 299, and this is 499. On the other hand, even if it sells less, it will be to more interested and active users instead of impulse buyers so that goes a long way towards balancing that out.

I really want q3 to become the baseline asap. There's all these games being announced that are dragging along q2. I think it's really important to serve existing users who aren't ready to upgrade though so you can call it the double edge of cross gen.

Me too!!!! If Quest 3 can become the baseline next year, VR gaming will be able to hit the next level.

I think these AR games look like utter trash! I hate where AR gaming is right now. But you gotta be born before you crawl so no complaints.

Maintaining three versions has a cost, and the install base difference is huge even before Quest 3 launches.

At best they will port on all platforms but I doubt they would make specific adjustments for PSVR if it’s 1:6 from an install base perspective.

It does have a cost, but not so much that you can ignore millions of VR headsets. It doesn't cost "THAT" much. Plus PSVR2 will be the 2nd best-selling VR headset line on planet Earth! That matters. Only a VR fanboy hater would think otherwise.

And this whole conversation is stupid. All VR gamers should be rooting for all other VR devices to win. It's not a competition, it's collaboration. Even Meta are putting their first-party games on PSVR2.

Top Bottom