• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2016 | I don't have unlimited money

Matt Frost

Inside is fantastic. And speaking of PS4, picked up Enter the Gungeon, which is discounted this week, and is a great rogue like with bullet hell style gameplay if you're wanting something to dabble in that genre.

Bought the same day it came out and is one of my favorite arcade games on PS4. I suck at it though...

Pachimari

It IS out in your country ;)

https://itunes.apple.com/dk/app/lumines-puzzle-and-music/id1146668846?mt=8

Weirdly enough Mobcast has published three apps:
One for Japan, one for English speaking countries and one for the rest of the world. I'm still baffled at how complex and unnecessary that is.

Ah fuck, just bought a $10 code online right when I clicked this thread hahahaha, oh well, thanks! I'll buy it from my country's store.

I guess I have $10 for the US iTunes for anyone who wants to buy it from me?

awp69

Crashlands is worth whatever the asking price is.

Yeah, I agree with this. It's still a good game. Maybe just didn't quite live up to the hype for me and I drifted away from it. The content and gameplay is still well worth the asking price.

Someday I might have to try to get back into it.

Matt Frost

Samorost 3 is tempting. Completed the first one (free to play on browser, takes 15 minutes) and the first chapter from the Samorost 2... so tempted to buy the third since it looks a lot better and also scratches the itch to replay Machinarium....

Crashlands is worth whatever the asking price is.

Yeah, I agree with this. It's still a good game. Maybe just didn't quite live up to the hype for me and I drifted away from it. The content and gameplay is still well worth the asking price.

Someday I might have to try to get back into it.

So if I go in without any hype at all and instead pure curiosity out of my experience with Quadrupus Rampage, am I going to have a good experience?

awp69

So if I go in without any hype at all and instead pure curiosity out of my experience with Quadrupus Rampage, am I going to have a good experience?

I'd say so. It's well made as all Quadrupus Rampage games are. I just maybe thought it was going to be a game that would consume my life. And I ended up being pulled away by other games.

I probably do need to give it another go.

putermcgee

I would say yes. I haven't played much of Butterscotch's other games, but I love(d) Crashlands. It's still on my home screen on my phone, and I'm hoping to jump back in at some point, but as with awp69, I just got pulled away by other games.

Pachimari

Be warned that Crashlands is known to become very grindy further into the game. I haven't tried it myself, but that's what kept me from buying it, and instead go for Don't Starve.

Also, Lumines is FUCKING ROCKING AWESOME! And that Shinin! The controls is way more precise than the first Lumines on iOS and it's such a breeze playing. If there is one thing I'm not fond of, it is the transition between songs, that blacks out and takes you out for a moment. Hopefully that's something they will consider changing.

So, like one day in, September is already kicking August's butt. Enyo a week early, Samorost 3, Lumines

Dear, devs: I really don't have unlimited money. Please stop releasing like all the best games on the same day. Thanks

Pachimari

Yeah, I am impressed by today's releases, which have been quite a while I have felt that way. And I still got Batman on the 13th. And hopefully it'll be Lumines VS next week, although I might have misunderstood that, and it'll actually be a F2P version of today's release coming out next week. But that's alright with me, I'll have more Lumines goodness this winter then, and DLC packs meanwhile.

putermcgee

So I have Lumines from the US store now, but I had also bought it from the Japanese store when it came out there. I logged into the Japanese AppStore, and the app's page shows that there was an update today, September 1st, but the button only says "open" and not "update." Has anyone been able to download it?

BTA

I think I have an impression on Skyfish that's... not quite about Skyfish. :p

Ok, now I realize what happened: More_Badass, for the Skyfish impressions you quoted the half of my post that didn't mention it instead of the half that actually had impressions on it.

awp69

Be warned that Crashlands is known to become very grindy further into the game. I haven't tried it myself, but that's what kept me from buying it, and instead go for Don't Starve.

Yes, the grind probably is one of the reasons I moved on to other games. That said, the best thing about Crashlands is that inventory/resource management is so much more streamlined, which for me at least made the game more enjoyable than Don't Starve.

Crafting/survival games aren't really my cup of tea so, for what it's worth, Crashlands still appealed to me for making those elements a less tedious. But the grind, as you say, is still there.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Wow . Lumines controls and looks great. Was a bit worried about the transition to touch controls, but it plays really well!

Pachimari

Lumines is dope as dope can be! Loving it.

The controls is as good as it gets on a touchscreen, and the nice thing about swiping down is, that you don't have to swipe all the way down like in some Tetris games and the old Lumines, but just have to swipe down a little, which is great, and makes it possible to play faster. I do hope that they'll let us turn the pieces both left and right in the settings at least, because that would work wonders on an iPad.

By the way, let me know your highscores in Shinin. We're doing a top list in the Lumines thread.

Eklesp

Great job on the OP, I don't keep up on new iOS games often enough and the recommendations are super helpful

heringer

Holy shit, I'm terrible at this Lumines thing. Bought to see what the fuss was about, but it's way too hard for me, haha. I was always terrible at tetris too.

I was also under the impression the music had some impact on the gameplay mechanics. It's just... background music.

Matt Frost

Already bought Crashlands and Samorost 3. I hope these two scratches my itch. Lets see them...

I would say yes. I haven't played much of Butterscotch's other games, but I love(d) Crashlands. It's still on my home screen on my phone, and I'm hoping to jump back in at some point, but as with awp69, I just got pulled away by other games.

I'd say so. It's well made as all Quadrupus Rampage games are. I just maybe thought it was going to be a game that would consume my life. And I ended up being pulled away by other games.

I probably do need to give it another go.

Also, Lumines is FUCKING ROCKING AWESOME! And that Shinin! The controls is way more precise than the first Lumines on iOS and it's such a breeze playing. If there is one thing I'm not fond of, it is the transition between songs, that blacks out and takes you out for a moment. Hopefully that's something they will consider changing.

Yes, the grind probably is one of the reasons I moved on to other games. That said, the best thing about Crashlands is that inventory/resource management is so much more streamlined, which for me at least made the game more enjoyable than Don't Starve.

Crafting/survival games aren't really my cup of tea so, for what it's worth, Crashlands still appealed to me for making those elements a less tedious. But the grind, as you say, is still there.

okno

Took some time out from Solitairica to try out the Street Fighter puzzle game and I am not really feeling it. Feels like it'll get really rude with the freemium crap pretty quickly, but the base game is enjoyable enough to waste five minutes (before you have to wait for your stamina to re-charge).

Back to Solitairica. Been switching back and forth between the Monk and Warrior, and the Monk is my favorite, so far. Can't decide if I want to spend my gems on Rogue/Warrior or upgrading my Monk! So hard to choose... One thing I know for certain is I really, really dislike playing as the Warrior. Like, a lot.

Voidance

Monk is really badass. I got to level 15 last night with it after previous unable to get past 10 with the warrior and wizard.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Maybe Marvel will finally put out a mobile game that isn't complete garbage. I can't tell who wastes their IP on iOS more - Marvel or Square-Enix.

Pachimari

I disagree. Ultimate Spider-Man is the best runner on the platform. At least I think so. Constantly updated with new events and storylines. You can send out Spider-Men on missions, and earn new ones all the time. And they got literally every single Spider-Man in there. There is clan support and chatting. I don't see what is so bad about that one.

Contest of Champions is the best fighter on the platform, with very precise and quick controls, making for some exciting fights. Lots of stuff and daily log in bonuses and tons of characters from across the Marvel universe. This is also updated regularly with new features and content. Clans can go up against each other.

Those two are legit good.

Then there's Marvel's Puzzle Quest which has the same gameplay as the rest of those match 3 games but with the Marvel flavor. It is revered and rightfully so. It is a very solid game. Future Fight can be argued to be a solid offering too. It's like the old Alliance games, although I haven't played this one much myself, it seems to have a large fan base. And then they launched Tsum Tsum today; the verdict is still out on this one, but it has the gameplay of Yokai Watch: Wibble Wobble which is quite frankly a great start, although it doesn't seem as deep as Yokai.

I will agree that Alliance I and II and probably Avengers Academy aren't much to write home about, but even Academy is charming to Marvel fans.

All in all, I think Marvel is doing great on mobile.

I disagree. Ultimate Spider-Man is the best runner on the platform. At least I think so. Constantly updated with new events and storylines. You can send out Spider-Men on missions, and earn new ones all the time. And they got literally every single Spider-Man in there. There is clan support and chatting. I don't see what is so bad about that one.
Have you not played Boson X or TEC 3001?

Contest of Champions is the best fighter on the platform, with very precise and quick controls, making for some exciting fights. Lots of stuff and daily log in bonuses and tons of characters from across the Marvel universe. This is also updated regularly with new features and content. Clans can go up against each other.
Not for long. Lab Zero's Skullgirls is coming to claim that title

Skullgirls-beta-sign-up.gif

Pachimari

Have you not played Boson X or TEC 3001?
Yes I have. But none of those have had the staying power, that Ultimate Spider-Man has on me. That said, I am sure it is because I'm a fan of Marvel in general, that it is more attractive to me. But even without that skin, it's still a good game.

Not for long. Lab Zero's Skullgirls is coming to claim that title
Well, we don't know that. We haven't tried it out. But I hope we don't have to press virtual buttons, or else Contest of Champions will have it beat with a landslide. Hopefully what I see on that gif is just meter management. And hopefully Skullgirls will have a community and solid online play.

----

Also, I regard Square Enix as one of the top publishers on mobile. They have given us Final Fantasy 1-7 and 9. They have given us Tactics. We have gotten Theathrythm Final Fantasy, and not only that, but solid spin offs like Record Keeper and Excivius. Add to that, they have one of the best original JRPGs on the platform in Chaos Rings 3. They have also given us Dragon Quest 1-6 with all of them controlling extremely well for one-handed use. Add to that their Western output in the GO series.

awp69

When is Skullgirls supposed to release on mobile? I've considered buying it on console numerous times but never bit. Not much into fighting games but had always heard good things about it and probably a good game to have on the go.

And agreed with Madridista on Square Enix. They sometimes take their sweet time updating games to be compatible with new iOS versions (TWEWY comes to mind) and have pulled a few games. But out of the major game publishers they've been the best at putting out quality ports and being prolific with them. Puts EA's mostly crap to shame.

Pachimari

Skullgirls is a good fighting franchise for sure. Although on mobile they'll change up the gameplay, so it'll have cards to unlock to make it more casual, and a strategy element, where you can choose your next move without doing it in real time. Sounds rather interesting.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Also, I regard Square Enix as one of the top publishers on mobile. They have given us Final Fantasy 1-7 and 9. They have given us Tactics. We have gotten Theathrythm Final Fantasy, and not only that, but solid spin offs like Record Keeper and Excivius. Add to that, they have one of the best original JRPGs on the platform in Chaos Rings 3. They have also given us Dragon Quest 1-6 with all of them controlling extremely well for one-handed use. Add to that their Western output in the GO series.

Yeah, I'll eat my words on that one lol. SE has given me a lot of love.

They also have that FF XI mobile port in the works, which is like... potentially life changing.

Matt Frost

Crashlands is amazing. I love this kind of game of about exploration/base building/combat plus the Butterscotch Shenanings stuff. Very impressed by it...

Matt Frost

Interesting move from Apple...

Search is one of the most frequently used methods for customers to discover and download apps from the App Store. In hopes of influencing search results, some developers have used extremely long app names which include descriptions and terms not directly related to their app. These long names are not fully displayed on the App Store and provide no user value. App names you submit in iTunes Connect for new apps and updates will now be limited to no longer than 50 characters.

But this one is half good half bad. Developers will have to update more often to be compatible with newer iOS but we will loose some games... hope Mini Dash stays, still works like the first day...

Quality is extremely important to us. We know that many of you work hard to build innovative apps and update your apps on the App Store with new content and features. However, there are also apps on the App Store that no longer function as intended or follow current review guidelines, and others which have not been supported with compatibility updates for a long time. We are implementing an ongoing process of evaluating apps for these issues, notifying their developers, and removing problematic and abandoned apps from the App Store.

Spent a lot of time switching between Hoplite and Enyo today, seeing if I could determine if there was one I liked more.

I'm still undecided

The two are similar yet different. Ancient Greek themed, a shield, that turn-based tactical roguelike structure, which makes sense as the original game jam entry that would become Enyo was inspired by Hoplite. (And both were made for game jams before being expanded)

From a purely strategic standpoint, Hoplite is the clear winner. Being able to see exactly where enemies can attack, you can carefully dodge your way to the exit unscatched. Perks expand your moveset and unlock new abilities the deeper you progress, giving you more ways to control the arena. There's a reason why Hoplite is still held up as one of the best roguelikes on the platform

Enyo succeeds in other areas. Much like Hoplite, each enemy has a single attack and style that you can learn and anticipate, so the additional foes add more variety in the challenges you can face. The Daily Challenge offers even more variety, thanks to the mode-exclusive Mimic foes that have randomly selected abilities.

chars.png

The defensive moves and need to use the environment to kill your enemies gives Enyo a different focus on positioning. Hoplite is like chess in how you can attack and kill enemies, while in Enyo, the environment and enemies are equally important variables to consider. You want to keep your distance and make sure not to get cornered, want to consider your position between enemies and hazards.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Are there any legit games we can think of that have names longer than 50 characters?
It seems like maybe the name submitted is not necessarily the name displayed in the App Store. Apparently devs can submit a "name" and just spam tags into it while having a normal looking name displayed in the store? That's how I understood it anyway

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
It seems like maybe the name submitted is not necessarily the name displayed in the App Store. Apparently devs can submit a "name" and just spam tags into it while having a normal looking name displayed in the store? That's how I understood it anyway

You have the app name which appears on the Store at the top of your product page which is typically where spammy extra keywords are loaded. This will now be limited to 50 characters. No idea what it was before.

There is also the "short" name which can be different and appears under your icon on device.

On top of that you have 50 characters of "keywords" which you can use to tag your app but which don't appear anywhere visible on the store or on device.

Top Bottom