• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2016 | I don't have unlimited money

killercow

Samorost 3 features one of my favorite puzzles of all time. You'll know it when you get to it I think.

I know which one you're talking about and that was exactly my thought as well. Genius.

Now this looks cool. Riff Racer, which looks like Audiosurf + arcade racer, with Apple Music support. $2.99
https://appsto.re/us/T0gP4.i
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHVvLbw5xHg

Reminds me a lot of Forever Drive but this one also has plenty of great reviews on Steam so I might pick it up.

Is the whole of Republique 79p? All the episodes are listed as free IAPs but also with duplicates as £3.99 each as well, so are the free ones the actual episodes or trial episodes or what?

Steins;Gate English version for iOS launches September 9 for $25. Weirldy enough there's a universal and non-universal version (probably if you wish to reduce the size of the app).
http://gematsu.com/2016/09/steinsgate-english-version-ios-launches-september-9#wtl7SkB1DC1DQPHW.99

Weird. Usually its iPhone only or Universal as 2.99 and 4.99 going by near iPad 1 launch games and shit. 25$ for universal and I bet it wont sync progress. Will still buy the Universal game day one. Got multiple copies on Vita already.

killercow

Weird. Usually its iPhone only or Universal as 2.99 and 4.99 going by near iPad 1 launch games and shit. 25$ for universal and I bet it wont sync progress. Will still buy the Universal game day one. Got multiple copies on Vita already.

Is the story that good? Never played it before.

Pachimari

Fantastic! So we got a big release for next week as well. $25 is steep to me, so I would like to hear impressions about the story. And then the week after it'll be Batman and Sorcery IV.

Btw, I can't stop playing Lumines. I play 30-minute sessions and my hands start to sleep.

KiDdYoNe

Contest of Champions is life. I've played it pretty much every day since it's beta 2 years ago. It employs randomness to its progression but what I've found rings true to this day it's simply a matter of finding an alliance of equal minded and dependable people to play with.

Yes, it's great but it burned on me with their changes. It is amazing game with a lot of cool stuff and new content, but it's just dead for me now.

I've tried Future Fight, but there's no challenge and all game feels like a perfect game for an office where you can just send team for needed resources and be automatic.

Also I've tried Injustice, MKX and that WWE fighting, the are good but lacking back/forward dash and they feel easy for me. All good games tho.

Thanks everyone for the advice, picked up
GF's iPad Mini :D
, Severed, Teeny Titans, Leap of Faith and Deus Ex GO. Now currently playing Severed which seems great and the style is just perfect. Loving it!

Interfectum

Dungeon Warfare is legit good. It's definitely Tower Defense with lite Dungeon Keeper influence. The traps, pixel gore, stage modifiers, the upgrades... all great. This is one of those old school mobile games that'll burn hours of your free time with no additional purchases required or even offered.

On iPad Pro the game looks great too... only downside is no cloud save from what I've seen so two different saves across platforms. :(

Is the story that good? Never played it before.

Yea and having installed windows 7 on my MacBook just to play this and never get more than a few hours in, (I reviewed it on Vita and finished all routes in a week with 10 hours each day lol) I say buy it on portable and not PS3/PC. For the iOS port, ill post impressions when it goes live in India on the App Store so you can all decide about the 25$. Game itself and story are worth hundreds to me. Just starts out slow.

Fantastic! So we got a big release for next week as well. $25 is steep to me, so I would like to hear impressions about the story. And then the week after it'll be Batman and Sorcery IV.

Btw, I can't stop playing Lumines. I play 30-minute sessions and my hands start to sleep.

Story will be the same as it has been since it released years ago :p Here's my Vita review - http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/steins-gate-review/ I got the platinum on both my main PSN accounts. that good.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
really stoked to finally play Steins;Gate

i've heard so much about it over the years... about how many hours is it?

Could never get into visual novels. Considering that visual part is kind of important, the anime-style art most have tend to be a major turn-off for me.

heringer

Pretty big. If you do all the endings around 30~40 hours I would say.

How much gameplay is there? Is it onty choice-based? I hope it has romance.

There are some bits of interaction and a degree of choice that leads to different endings, but it's pretty much a visual novel. It has romance all right, and it's well done, though it's not much of a dating sim (actually, it kind of is, but it's not the main point).

The story is pretty amazing if you can get past the super slow beginning.

PittaGAF

Im jealous. Being able to experience the story in the VN before the anime will be glorious. I hope you give it a shot and enjoy it.

Hmmmm.
I never played a visual novel, not a proper one, so I'm not sure I'll like it but some friends of mine always told me about Steins:gate awesomeness (I'm not an anime fan, but I don't dislike it, but I'm a temporal anomalies nut).
I happen to start watching Steins Gate on Netflix just the other day (watched only the first episode, didn't understood a single thing)...so in case I get the game....you advice to start there for maximum enjoyment and skip the anime for now?

Besides reading and watching (fine to me) what kind of input do you actually do in the game?
Binary choices like in some choose your own adventure? (again fine with me, as long as I don't have to replay the same thing over and over if I die, not sure if it's possibile to die here).

Thanks!

heringer

i don't replay games - is this like 99 where you have to to "get" the story, or can i play once and enjoy it? how long is a single run through?

Honestly, it's hard to talk much about that without going into spoiler territory, but you won't have to replay the game start to finish to get all the endings. You can get a bunch of them in a single playthrough. There are plenty of spoiler free guides out there to help.

Here's one:

http://steins-gate.wikia.com/wiki/Steins;Gate_100%_Completion_Walkthrough

Play with this flowchart and you will get everything in one playthrough. The true ending is hard to get without a guide, so I suggest using it.

But to answer your question directly, yeah, it's kind of like 999, but without the puzzles.

Pachimari

So Apple is gonna clean up the App Store next week, and will remove apps and games that no longer work as intended on the latest software. I could see some games getting removed in the process.

On a related tangent, I never got the appeal of playing choice-driven narrative games over, and to get multiple endings

I mean, I get it, but the choices and different endings aren't there for replay value. They're there for you to define your individual journey through the story. Not as a means of collecting all the endings

heringer

On a related tangent, I never got the appeal of playing choice-driven narrative games over, and to get multiple endings

I mean, I get it, but the choices and different endings aren't there for replay value. They're there for you to define your individual journey through the story. Not as a means of collecting all the ending.

Well, it doesn't work quite this way because a lot of endings in this games are very frustrating conclusions. They actually are specifically made to push replay, which is why most offer the player convenient ways to reach the other endings. In the genre it's pretty common to reach an ending prematurely and miss half of the content in the novel.

PittaGAF

I mean, I get it, but the choices and different endings aren't there for replay value. They're there for you to define your individual journey through the story. Not as a means of collecting all the endings

Mostly I have the same sentiment (I prefer linear stories where you can get the same result in multiple ways, instead of getting different results)...but as years passed I became even more intolerant.
That's why I can't properly enjoy as most do let's say...Sorcery serie...I HATE replaying the same part because I died...and I generally make always the same choices :p
I like the genre but only if you die and you reload in almost the same spot (but you have many choices, not 2 or 3 to try).

I guess I just don't like the genre enough.

putermcgee

Not everyone plays that way, but I totally feel you. I've played several where I end up dying, or otherwise getting a fairly bad ending, and just thought, "well, those are the choices I made." Only if the game itself is a lot of fun do I play through more than once.

Mostly I have the same sentiment (I prefer linear stories where you can get the same result in multiple ways, instead of getting different results)...but as years passed I became even more intolerant.
That's why I can't properly enjoy as most do let's say...Sorcery serie...I HATE replaying the same part because I died...and I generally make always the same choices :p
I like the genre but only if you die and you reload in almost the same spot (but you have many choices, not 2 or 3 to try).

I guess I just don't like the genre enough.
Sorcery and 80 Days are interesting. 80 Days is because designed to play again and again and take different routes so that's a solid exception. Sorcery, on the other hand, I know I'm missing tons of secrets and content, but I'm not going to replay them until I finish 4.

Oxenfree (please come to iOS) is a good exception too. It has a new game plus that continues the story in interesting ways

But Telltale games, Life Is Strange, Lifeline, Mr Robot, etc? Only once for me

Could never get into visual novels. Considering that visual part is kind of important, the anime-style art most have tend to be a major turn-off for me.

There's defo some Anime in this but just the first few hours are slow/night put you off. The remaining 40+ are superb

Took me like 55 to get every ending and 100% completion (platinum trophy) without a guide for half that. The guide will let you do it close to 45 iirc.

How much gameplay is there? Is it onty choice-based? I hope it has romance.

You make decisions based on where to go and on your phone. Your phone lets you decide when to call/ answerr/ reply and what to reply ot some people. This changes the story a lot.

Hmmmm.
I never played a visual novel, not a proper one, so I'm not sure I'll like it but some friends of mine always told me about Steins:gate awesomeness (I'm not an anime fan, but I don't dislike it, but I'm a temporal anomalies nut).
I happen to start watching Steins Gate on Netflix just the other day (watched only the first episode, didn't understood a single thing)...so in case I get the game....you advice to start there for maximum enjoyment and skip the anime for now?

Besides reading and watching (fine to me) what kind of input do you actually do in the game?
Binary choices like in some choose your own adventure? (again fine with me, as long as I don't have to replay the same thing over and over if I die, not sure if it's possibile to die here).

Thanks!

What I said above. There are a few bad endings for sure. The romance comes from a few of the endings but it isn't like your average JRPG.

heringer

To be fair, most of the stories in the western visual novels we have on iOS aren't nearly as interesting or crazy as some japanese visual novels.

Most people who play stuff like Steins;Gate, 999, VLR, etc, aren't getting all the endings for completion sake, they are just that compelled by the story and want more of it. If your story isn't interesting enough to make me want to explore all the possibilities, than it failed at a fundamental level because it was incapable of compelling the player enough with it's story and characters. Some novels offer endings so different and crazy that you just have to get one more "holy shit" moment.

So there are two motivations:

1) You got a crappy ending and want a better one.
2) You got a holy shit ending, but you know there are other holy shit endings and want to experience them.

Pachimari

No way am I gonna replay anything. I dislike replaying games and never ever do it. I won't even do it with games like Sorcery and 80 Days. Never will I replay. So hopefully I'll get most out of my one run. I probably won't even finish Steins;Gate if it is 30+ hours long. I can't do that.

I'm gonna watch the first episode of the anime and see what it's about. I'm no fan of anime either but I'm not against as well.

heringer

No fuck am I gonna replay anything. I hate replaying games and never ever do it. I won't even do it with games like Sorcery and 80 Days. Never will I replay. So hopefully I'll get most out of my one run. I probably won't even finish Steins;Gate if it is 30+ hours long. I can't do that.

Even if I get one of those two points above, I would never ever replay.

Just watch the anime. It's pretty great.

I personally don't have patience for visual novels anymore.

awp69

Haven't dabbled into visual anime novels yet, although I have been tempted by Steins Gate a few times on PSN.

They are putting Amnesia: Memories (which is also on iOS) free for PS+ next week so I'll be giving that one a try.

Haven't dabbled into visual anime novels yet, although I have been tempted by Steins Gate a few times on PSN.

They are putting Amnesia: Memories (which is also on iOS) free for PS+ next week so I'll be giving that one a try.

Amnesia is an otome novel that has a focus of romance. Steins;Gate is not the same genre.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
No way am I gonna replay anything. I dislike replaying games and never ever do it. I won't even do it with games like Sorcery and 80 Days. Never will I replay. So hopefully I'll get most out of my one run.........
wow....you are missing out with those games. No real point in playing 80 days otherwise......

That new games coming from the Stasis devs just makes me want Stasis on my iPad that much more. Mobile could really use some good isometric games.

Pachimari

wow....you are missing out with those games. No real point in playing 80 days otherwise......
I mean, surely, if my session ends real quickly, I could do another. But I haven't even been able to do one whole plqythrough of either game, so I won't be able to do multiple sessions for sure, and that's not how I get enjoyment from my games anyway.

Pachimari

Amnesia is an otome novel that has a focus of romance. Steins;Gate is not the same genre.
I actually have Amnesia: Memories installed on my iPad. I should play through that one first I think. Especially as it has a focus on romance too. Probably also an easier entrance point for someone new than Steins;Gate?

I am so gonna watch Steins;Gate when I get back home in my bed in about 45 minutes.

I also completed Lumines classic album on all difficulties. So now I only have Hard left on the Puzzle and Music album where I got a 85%, and that's without using any of the avatar power-ups.

awp69

I'm guessing those free ones are for the Season Pass.

I'm giving the game a try in any case.

My problem with Republique is it's just so damn big and doesn't seem to give you any option to delete previous chapters. I stopped after chapter 2. I got the season pass when they had some one time sale or glitch that made it $.99.

It's good but when you're getting to like 8 GB+ I have issues with that kind of space.

Pachimari

So I started up Amnesia: Memories, and why am I a girl?!? I named my character after myself, and that has instantly taken me out of it. The game should have told me from the start that I'll be playing as a girl, so I didn't just go ahead and named my character a boy name...

[edit] And now I find out that I am having the free version. I gotta pay up $22 for the rest of the game welp. Might as well just wait for Steins;Gate.

[edit2] Okay, so I just read a review, and have now learned what an otome is. Well I can probably deal with being a girl in this game, I'll just give her a girl name when I start it over.

awp69

Urghh. A little annoyed. Picked up Riff Racer last night and it already dropped to $.99 (or will later tonight). I know this happens all the time but just one day after release?

Good game though for those who haven't gotten it yet.

So I started up Amnesia: Memories, and why am I a girl?!? I named my character after myself, and that has instantly taken me out of it. The game should have told me from the start that I'll be playing as a girl, so I didn't just go ahead and named my character a boy name...

[edit] And now I find out that I am having the free version. I gotta pay up $22 for the rest of the game welp. Might as well just wait for Steins;Gate.

Yeah. That is a little pricey. The whole game was on sale for $5.99 on PSN last week.

PittaGAF

ENYO IS SUPERB.
The genius score system force you not only to survive but to move carefully and manipulate the 'board' to do kills in a row.
Just brilliant.

Only game that could unglue me from Solitairica.
Guild of Dungeoneer basically untouched.

Pachimari

Urghh. A little annoyed. Picked up Riff Racer last night and it already dropped to $.99 (or will later tonight). I know this happens all the time but just one day after release?
Woah, just bought this with that 99c price. Thanks for letting us know, and I'm sorry that you paid full price. Kind of dickish to do a discount the day after release.

Top Bottom