• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezuth

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/03/kgi-...-12-megapixel-cameras-piano-black-color-more/

A weekend report from KGI is shining some last minute details on the iPhone 7. As well as reaffirming everything we’ve already heard, such as the design resembling the iPhone 6s with tweaked antenna lines, the report includes some specific details about certain changes.

KGI says that the iPhone 7 will include the new Apple A10 SoC, which will be CPU clocked at up to 2.4GHz, a dramatic increase over the existing A9 silicon. The iPhone 7 will also come in two new color options which KGI describes as “dark black” and glossy “piano black”, replacing space grey. There are also changes to the speaker system, Force Touch sensors, waterproofing and more.

KGI report says that the iPhone 7 will be offered in two new case colors which are called “dark black” and “piano black”. Space Grey — as it is exists today — will be removed from the lineup meaning iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus will be offered in a total of five colors. The piano black is described as glossy and corroborates leaked SIM trays seen previously (pictured above). Due to low yield, piano black may only be offered exclusively on high-capacity iPhone 7 models, at least at first.

In terms of the internal performance, the report claims the iPhone 7 will be powered by a new Apple A10 chip manufactured by TSMC using a new ‘InFO’ process. Apparently, this chip will be a major upgrade over the Apple A9 chip seen in the iPhone 6s with maximum clock speed hitting 2.4 GHz.

The iPhone 7 screen display will also be getting an upgrade. Although size and resolution are staying the same, at 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches, the displays will ‘copy’ the visual features of the 9.7 inch iPad Pro. This means the iPhone 7 display will be able to render wide-color imagery. This will help boost the appearance of the photos taken by the new cameras in the iPhone 7.

The 4.7 inch iPhone 7 camera will be getting an upgrade but this KGI report focuses on the brand-new dual camera system which will be exclusive to the iPhone 7 Plus. The report says the dual camera will enable optical zoom and ‘light field camera applications’. The dual camera is made up of a wide-angle camera and a telephoto camera. Both cameras will feature 12 megapixel sensors. The larger camera will also feature optical image stabilisation and a 6P lens. This is markedly different technology to what Huawei uses in its dual-camera adorned P9 phone — it’ll be interesting to see what Apple demos on Wednesday in regards to image quality.

Apple is also including a new camera flash component in the iPhone 7 to improve photos taken in low-light situations. Apple will be boosting the number of LEDs from two to four (two cool, two warm) to create a more effective True Tone flash in the upcoming handsets.

Memory and RAM will also be increased. KGI says Apple will drop the 16 GB and 64 GB offering and add 256 GB storage tier. The new lineup will feature 32 GB, 128 GB and 256 GB models. The company will also bundle an additional 1 GB of RAM for the iPhone 7 Plus which is necessary to handle with the advanced camera processing provided by the dual-camera (an iPhone 7 Plus exclusive feature). Therefore, the 5.5.inch iPhone 7 Plus will include 3 GB RAM whereas the 4.7 inch iPhone 7 will feature 2 GB RAM – the same as the iPhone 6s.

Agreeing with a leaked spec sheet from a few days ago, KGI says that Apple will include Lighting EarPods and a Lighting to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter with every iPhone 7. This is to compensate for the lack of 3.5mm headphone jack in the hardware itself. KGI says that that space will be used to enhance the Force Touch recognition system. On the outside, it will look like a second speaker grille but it will actually house a new sensor to improve the ‘Force Touch user experience’. Apple is adding a new internal amplifier to boost sound output from the phone’s receiver.

KGI also claims the proximity sensor component is also getting a upgrade (‘switching from LCD to laser’) with faster response times and longer recognition distance, with support for hand-waving gesture features. The inclusion of such gestures is not confirmed, however. The new iPhones will also be waterproof with an IPX7 rating, this is the same as the Apple Watch. This rating means the hardware will be able to withstand immersion in water up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. According to KGI, Apple’s high standards for waterproofing have impacted the supply chain and lowered total production of iPhone 7.

It is forecasting 65 million iPhone 7 units shipped by the end of the year, a significant decrease below the 82 million level set by the iPhone 6s in the same timeframe last year. KGI blames poor assembly yield and “limited innovative selling points”. Although there are lot of changes to be seen, the analyst expects customer to focus on the new black color options, the dual camera, water resistance and the removal of the headphone jack.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
"Lighting to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter with every iPhone 7" and hand gestures make me think this report is off on some parts. Some of it is plausible but hand gestures? The article says they could but might not, though, to be fair.

Fuck the adapter being included. Either remove it or don't. Don't let people half ass the transition without the pain of paying for an adapter.

ZeroX03

Banned
Memory and RAM will also be increased. KGI says Apple will drop the 16 GB and 64 GB offering and add 256 GB storage tier. The new lineup will feature 32 GB, 128 GB and 256 GB models. The company will also bundle an additional 1 GB of RAM for the iPhone 7 Plus which is necessary to handle with the advanced camera processing provided by the dual-camera (an iPhone 7 Plus exclusive feature). Therefore, the 5.5.inch iPhone 7 Plus will include 3 GB RAM whereas the 4.7 inch iPhone 7 will feature 2 GB RAM – the same as the iPhone 6s.

Just so everyone knows, they're not going to say this on stage because they never mention RAM before everyone panics when it's not mentioned.

Why still offer 32gb? Seems way too small of a space offering.

It's more than fine for many users. There's swaths of consumers not really storing anything on their phone except photos and apps.

Draper

"Lighting to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter with every iPhone 7" and hand gestures make me think this report is off on some parts. Some of it is plausible but hand gestures? The article says they could but might not, though, to be fair.

Fuck the adapter being included. Either remove it or don't. Don't let people half ass the transition without the pain of paying for an adapter.

Christ. Do you listen to yourself sometimes?

Ryan_MSF

Surely its a best of both worlds scenario, how on earth you see a problem with this is baffling to me.

The Luddites need their training wheels, and I'm sure it's not too costly to give them some.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

Lol what..

Why still offer 32gb? Seems way too small of a space offering.

With Apple Music/Spotify being how most people consume music, and Netflix/Youtube how most people consume visual media, and iCloud storage being a buck for 50GB of storage, it sort of makes sense to not have a ridiculous amount of physical storage since it's not as necessary.

Hmm. Is there any more word on the street about next year's "anniversary" phone being a big deal? If those rumours cool off I might just get this one. I've gone iPhone 4 - 5 - 6 and I'm not sure if I should keep the trend going.

a Lighting to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter with every iPhone 7.

Replacing the 3.5mm port is such a goddamn stupid idea. I really hope the rest of the industry doesnt follow Apple.

I am surprised they are including a adapter though. I expected them to sell it separately for 39.99 or something. And it is gonna look fuck ugly dangling between headphones and the phone, not something I expect from Apple's nice clean understated looks.

what. the. fuck.

Do you live this scorched earth all or nothing policy in all aspects of your life, or is this just a one time thing?

Everyone keeps telling me not to upgrade from my 6 Plus to this new 7 Plus because the 7 is going to become the next iPad 3 and the iPhone 8 will be coming next year instead of an S version of the 7.

I find it hard to believe they are going to scrap the 2 year model for their phones and can't find anything online about this rumor?

Most people won't use the adapter it's just for people that need it.

Anyway some of these upgrades sound big. If the A9 is already beasting everything I can't imagine the A10.

Next year is still the big visual upgrade and oled but this is no slouch. I'll probably get both tbh. Which means I'll probably get the 32gb model if I'm only using it for a year. I think if yu have a 6S and don't want to get into the buying/selling your phone game then waiting to next year should be easy.

rezuth

Everyone keeps telling me not to upgrade from my 6 Plus to this new 7 Plus because the 7 is going to become the next iPad 3 and the iPhone 8 will be coming next year instead of an S version of the 7.

I find it hard to believe they are going to scrap the 2 year model for their phones and can't find anything online about this rumor?

The next iPhone will most likely be special as its the ten year anniversary so they might pause the S/Full cycle for a year.

Most people won't use the adapter it's just for people that need it.

Anyway some of these upgrades sound big. If the A9 is already beasting everything I can't imagine the A10.

Next year is still the big visual upgrade and oled but this is no slouch. I'll probably get both tbh.

Where is confirmation about the 8 coming next year?

Anustart

Guessing these go up for sale on the 9th based on my job giving me an extra 50$ per hour to come in and work from 130am to 430 am.

I really hate iOS compared to stock Android but those dual cameras along with the new RAW support sounds tasty...but can I justify such a purchase with my Xperia Z5 still going good??

Tigress

I really hate that the plus models get the better camera.

I hate they get the more RAM. The camera not being as good sucks too but at least I could see a reason why maybe the smaller one cannot fit both.

But this is kinda why I was against two sizes cause I knew eventually the smaller one they treat more like an economy version. Some of us want the best features but don't want a large phone. I think if the next se has as good features as the 7 and I needed a new phone I'd go for that. Especially if it still has a headphone jack. I have a 6 now but I do miss some stuff about a smaller size (I'm not really sure the bigger screen size makes up for what I miss on a smaller phone and if the smaller one had a headphone jack that would definitely trump any larger screen advantage).

Where is confirmation about the 8 coming next year?
It has already been reported by way too many credible sources what's coming in the next iphone (KGI/Bloomberg/WSJ/Gruber/etc...). We pretty much know it.

The number one reason I think leaks for next years iphone have come so damn early (other than apple themselves leaking it), is because for such a huge design update, you need to engage suppliers way earlier in the process to get it all done and prepare. This year seems like the massive camera/spec update. Next year will be the total design overhaul + screen change.

And then I doubt we'll ever see significant updates from that point forward to design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom