• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
On one hand, the 256 gig option should cost north of $1000.

It keeps the 750p option on the 7 model.

NFC is still locked to Apple Pay.

The only advantage to the 7 over the anniversary iphone is the LCD not getting burn in. People will regret buying AMOLED iphones in the near future as burn in happens and they are forced to upgrade.

If the 7 does not include two day battery life then something is wrong.

Is it possible to buy the phone outright AND be a part of the yearly upgrade program? Can you pay for the yearly upgrade program upfront?

I've been using an AMOLED phone for nearly 2 years and not even a little burn in has appeared, the problem has pretty much been solved for years.

"Lighting to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter with every iPhone 7" and hand gestures make me think this report is off on some parts. Some of it is plausible but hand gestures? The article says they could but might not, though, to be fair.

Fuck the adapter being included. Either remove it or don't. Don't let people half ass the transition without the pain of paying for an adapter.

of course they would copy hand gestures

everyone is copying Samsung

Actually sounds like a great list of features for a new device. Can't wait to watch the unveiling.

If you are getting the Plus that is.

Furyous

There is no burn in modern OLED displays, good fucking god. Do you really live in the year 2009 or what?

Even though Samsung makes those displays, it won't tarnish your precious little Apple made iPhone. Don't be that childish.

Haha 2009, holla at this 2014 example.

This is not childish at all and a legit question. If burn in happens after two or three years then it is still worth discussing. Don't dismiss a legit concern to defend Samsung.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Day one. Looking forward to getting my 7+. Will need to see the two black colors in full to decide between those two.

A10 plus same res screen = this thing is going to fucking fly.

This note 7 is a significant step down from my 6S Plus in performance and battery life - can't wait for the ip7.

Think I'm not going to do a bi-yearly upgrade for the first time since I got my first smart phone. I just don't see the benefit over my 6 given the specs that have leaked. Now if the new Apple Watch has GPS and I can leave my phone behind on runs from now on I'm getting that instead.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Really curious about these hand gestures. My gut says let's not hold our breath.

ArchAngel

There is no burn in modern OLED displays, good fucking god. Do you really live in the year 2009 or what?

I've never seen a SamOLED screen (including S6) that didn't burn in after days/weeks. Not a single one. Mostly the status bar & navigation and many people won't see it because whatever :p

Note 4 and 3x Nexus 6P lasted a couple of weeks here.

sikkinixx

Sounds like what was expected. Apple's soc development is top shelf and the A10 will end up as an A10x in the iPad Pros next refresh. Dual camera was known for a long while now, as were the storage tiers and so were rumors about a colour switch up. Adaptor for the 3.5mm makes sense until people stop freaking the fuck out about it and then with next year's actual new iPhone they can probably rip people off by charging $19.99 for it.

giga

Remember the days when Apple's silicon team didn't need to rely on higher clock rates to achieve performance goals? Pepperidge Farm remembers. The A7 was 1.3ghz.

I've never seen a SamOLED screen (including S6) that didn't burn in after days/weeks. Not a single one. Mostly the status bar & navigation and many people won't see it because whatever :p

Note 4 and 3x Nexus 6P lasted a couple of weeks here.

My S7 Edge has zero burn in, had it since March.

Salvadora

While I continue to be disappointed by how "samey" the design is, the A10 sounds seriously powerful and a significant leap over what we have now.

Will keep my iPhone 6 for another year.

All amoleds burn in. It's bad if you browse the internet alot or keep the screen on. Visit any store with demo units and you will clearly see it when switching to something with a white or light colored background. Even the latest phones do it.

Clipse

Glad the 16GB is gone. Last time I upgraded my parents phones, I had to go with 64GB because 16GB is pathetic. 32GB is perfect for casual users.

Makki

That camera is going to be insane. But I don't want giant phones.

Word. I would love the stabilization part and some amount of optical zoom, but fuck it I am never getting a giant tablet like phone. Phones are bloated as they are I dont want a damned brick that wont fit in your pockets without showing a massive unfoldable slab.

Aurongel

KGI says that Apple will include Lighting EarPods and a Lighting to 3.5mm Headphone Jack adapter with every iPhone 7

tumblr_lxpcadRmqA1qiohboo1_250.gif

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised but even this sounds way too generous for Apple. They charged $30 for a lightning adapter years back and that was much more core to the device than the headphone jack is now.

All amoleds burn in. It's bad if you browse the internet alot or keep the screen on. Visit any store with demo units and you will clearly see it when switching to something with a white or light colored background. Even the latest phones do it.

Store phones have the screens on for eight/nine hours a day, every day.

Mr Swine

Banned
Isn't the camera in the iPhone 7 better than the one in the iPhone 6S plus now with OIS? Also I don't think that the iPhone 8 will be that much of a leap over iPhone 7, probably 1GB more ram and a bit beefier CPU and GPU, nothing ground breaking

Even using them less, if you have the screen on about 4 hours a day as most people do, you will see burn in. Has happened on every phone I've owned with OLED. The status bar is usually the main thing to burn in and you don't really notice the burn in unless you game or use something else that removes the status bar.

Friends with the galaxy phones (s5-6 iirc) have mentioned burn in, but it's barely noticeable when they show me, you have to actively look for it. Not sure if it gets progressively worse over multiple years or not.

Bgamer90

Banned
Not sure if I should get this or wait for 2017's model. The 1GB of RAM on my iPhone 6 Plus is becoming very evident.

Nice that they're dropping the 16GB SKU, but the storage tiers Apple really needs to reconsider are the iCloud ones.

5GB for free just isn't enough anymore. Plain and simple.

diaspora

Eh, if Samsung sticks with the 3.5mm jack, Apple will probably include it back at summer point. Where Samsung goes, Apple follows.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i might actually be tempted by this. good riddance space grey! i loved the old black iphone 5. also they are included a 3.5mm jack so at least we don't need to buy it. i'd still prefer if they kept the 3.5mm jack but whatever. also for me 32GB is way more than enough. 16gb is enough for me to be honest since i don't actually store anything but apps on my phone. if anything else maybe some pictures.

if the iphone 7 at 32gb is the cheapest at around £540 (same as the cheapest 6s) then brilliant. i will totally pay that.

Ty4on

You can see it on older phones as well.

I don't wanna baby my screen like that and I don't buy a new phone every two years. AMOLED burn in is (AFAIK) caused by wear so it's not preventable by switching content unless you periodically have an inverted notification/navigating bar.

I don't think the gains are really worth it either. LCD is brighter, the black levels, though nice, are only noticeable in dark environments, battery life is a wash (better with dark content, worse with white) and I prefer the general look of LCD with bigger pixels and no rainbow effect.

7+ 128 gig version day one. I have an iPhone 6+ and I absolutely love it. I was thinking about switching back to Android with the Galaxy Note 7 but seeing as how the iPhone 6s absolutely mashes it in speed tests im gonna stay put.

I'm due for my refresh so 7+ 128 for me.

256 just seems like over kill but I'll be happy if the 128 is now the midtier price the 64 used to be.

Nice that they're dropping the 16GB SKU, but the storage tiers Apple really needs to reconsider are the iCloud ones.

5GB for free just isn't enough anymore. Plain and simple.

I thought there was some rumor of them bumping the base tier, since they just bumped the max to 2TB

Personally I think I will actually go with 256GB over 128GB. Moving from a 64GB phone will be crazy, but I want to start downloading all my Apple Music libraries instead of relying solely on streaming, and I expect those new amazing photos and videos are going to take more space. I just want to have the most space possible and forget about it

LeleSocho

Banned
I've been using an AMOLED phone for nearly 2 years and not even a little burn in has appeared, the problem has pretty much been solved for years.

Sorry but already people are experiencing burn in (not simple image retention) on Nexus 6Ps, S7 Edges and OP3s and those are all latest generation devices, some of those people you can find the Android general thread.
You people spouting crap about this being solved years ago are just spreading misinformation, it's been since 2011 that for you people OLED screens are "problem free" and yet year after year you see problems (IR and burn-in in primis) but this myth never stops.
OLED screens are nice and all but still have really bad reliability.

That being said i will be sure to get this iPhone instead of waiting for next years because it has an LCD screen and i'll be sure to keep using this one as long as possible if the OLED technology doesn't have a breakthrough and if Apple continues to choose them for their devices.

Vyer

Even though Samsung makes those displays, it won't tarnish your precious little Apple made iPhone. Don't be that childish.

There are people in android threads talking about burn in just recently.

Don't spread misinformation because you are preoccupied with Phone Warz

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom