• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
At&t. Idk. I have other uses for $45 than a nonsense fee. If I can avoid paying for it, I would do that.

In this instance it would only be $20. $45 is if you're buying it on a 2 year contract

I understand trying to avoid it though, I'm frustrated by activation fees too. It's just total bullshit

Ok, so I have a question about changing carriers. Right now I'm on AT&T and have been since the iPhone 3G. I still have a grandfathered unlimited plan that has ballooned to a little over $100 a month for 1 line. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to switch to T-Mobile because it looks like I'll be able to save like $20-$25 a month. If I want to preorder an iPhone 7, what is my best way about going about this? Can I preorder from Apple and have the phone shipped to my house to activate on T-Mobile, do I have to order from Apple with an in store appointment to have them activate it on T-Mobile, or do I need to order from T-Mobile directly? My AT&T contract expires in 5 days on 9/12 so I can't run into T-Mobile today or tomorrow and make the switch yet on my current 6s Plus.

Well you'll need a T-Mobile account to activate on which is going to be tricky, since I'm assuming you want your number ported from AT&T and everything

Jeffrey

In this instance it would only be $20. $45 is if you're buying it on a 2 year contract

I understand trying to avoid it though, I'm frustrated by activation fees too. It's just total bullshit

Well you'll need a T-Mobile account to activate on which is going to be tricky, since I'm assuming you want your number ported from AT&T and everything

why even having to pay $20 is beyond me?

I've been switching between multiple unlocked android phones on this same AT&T sim card for months without having to pay any bullshit activation fee.

Yeah I would want to port my number. Is this something I need to attempt at a later date? Is it going to be a mess to do while attempting a preorder?

What if I were going to go the iPhone Upgrade Program route? Could I order one with an in store appointment and have them set me up on T-Mobile and port my number?

why even having to pay $20 is beyond me?

I've been switching between multiple unlocked android phones on this same AT&T sim card for months without having to pay any bullshit activation fee.

I don't know what to tell you, man. It's because Apple doesn't sell unlocked, SIM-free phone until a few months down the road. If you want to avoid the activation fees then wait for that. What I'm saying is if you want to do the iPhone Upgrade Program specifically, like that specific plan through Apple to pay for the phone, or any other phone payment plan, it counts as an activation and will have a fee. Those are the options

Yeah I would want to port my number. Is this something I need to attempt at a later date? Is it going to be a mess to do while attempting a preorder?

It would be a mess when preordering because I don't know if Apple Stores can still create T-Mobile accounts. They might be able to but I know carriers have been putting more and more restrictions on what Apple Store employees can do. Best thing to do when preordering is to see about picking a day and time to go into the Apple Store and do the transaction and hope it doesn't make you prove you have a T-Mobile account first. From there when your contract is up you can make a T-Mobile account ahead of time, port your number, and have it all ready to go and activate on launch day. But that depends on, like I said, them letting you preorder a T-Mobile phone without actually signing into an account to prove you have one. Which they might do since demand is so high. But I can't answer for certain

I would highly recommend making a T-Mobile account first and porting your number so you get to skip that time-consuming step at the store and can just focus on activating the line. PM me if you have other questions, I'll see about answering them

I don't know what to tell you, man. It's because Apple doesn't sell unlocked, SIM-free phone until a few months down the road. If you want to avoid the activation fees then wait for that. What I'm saying is if you want to do the iPhone Upgrade Program specifically, like that specific plan through Apple to pay for the phone, or any other phone payment plan, it counts as an activation and will have a fee. Those are the options

It would be a mess when preordering because I don't know if Apple Stores can still create T-Mobile accounts. They might be able to but I know carriers have been putting more and more restrictions on what Apple Store employees can do. Best thing to do when preordering is to see about picking a day and time to go into the Apple Store and do the transaction and hope it doesn't make you prove you have a T-Mobile account first. From there when your contract is up you can make a T-Mobile account ahead of time, port your number, and have it all ready to go and activate on launch day. But that depends on, like I said, them letting you preorder a T-Mobile phone without actually signing into an account to prove you have one. Which they might do since demand is so high

I could actually go into T-Mobile and port my number on the 12th on my current iPhone which would be before I'd have to pick up a phone from the Apple Store if I did the iPhone Upgrade Program. Would that work? Will Apple at least take an in store reservation for an iUP phone without needing to prove which carrier you have an account with?

So something like this. Preorder for in store an iUP phone, go to T-Mobile next Monday or Tuesday when my AT&T contract is up and port my current 6s+ to T-Mobile. Pick up my 7s+ preorder next Friday or the Friday after and activate it in T-Mobile since I'd have an account with them then.

Jeffrey

that is pretty lame then. The whole point of Apple Upgrade Program over the carrier's was to get you an unlocked phone.

Guess unlocked is more like unlocked*.

Guess if you want an unlocked iphone asap without the bs costs, just get one at AT&T verizon etc and pay off the balance right away and unlock it.

I could actually go into T-Mobile and port my number on the 12th on my current iPhone which would be before I'd have to pick up a phone from the Apple Store if I did the iPhone Upgrade Program. Would that work? Will Apple at least take an in store reservation for an iUP phone without needing to prove which carrier you have an account with?

That's what I recommend doing, but there might be some lag between the porting of the number and AT&T unlocking your current phone to be used with a T-Mobile SIM card. So with that method you might be without a phone until you actually receive the new one

That's what I recommend doing, but there might be some lag between the porting of the number and AT&T unlocking your current phone to be used with a T-Mobile SIM card. So with that method you might be without a phone until you actually receive the new one

Well my current 6s+ I paid full price out of pocket so I could unlock it anytime with AT&T I believe if I just fill out their online form. I could start that ball rolling today.

Well my current 6s+ I paid full price out of pocket so I could unlock it anytime with AT&T I believe if I just fill out their online form. I could start that ball rolling today.

The sooner the better. But you got the right idea through this whole thing. The process will be easy if you make your T-Mobile account is all set up and running with your number come launch day

Blackhead

Redarse
she literally was like "you can't charge and listen at the same time what the fuck? why would you do that??"

She makes a solid argument.

I'm more pissed off by the loss of a port than it's the loss of the headjack port. I don't get Apple's obsession with reducing the number of ports. Ports are useful. There was a rumors while back that the iPad pod would have two lightning ports (didn't pan out obviously). I would like to see that on the iDevices if Apple is getting rid of the headphone jack.

BearPawB

Banned
I'm more pissed off by the loss of a port than it's the loss of the headjack port. I don't get Apple's obsession with reducing the number of ports. Ports are useful. There was a rumors while back that the iPad pod would have two lightning ports (didn't pan out obviously). I would like to see that on the iDevices if Apple is getting rid of the headphone jack.

yeah, if it had a dual lightning port id be less upset

Man, if the iPad ever gets another port and it's another fucking lightning port instead of USB-C...

n0razi

Whats the reasoning for going with Lightning again instead of USB-C?

Its kind of frustrating as a MacBook 12 owner which doesn't have Lightning ports. My MacBook can take a 3.5mm jack or USB-C and an iPhone7 only takes Lightning.... makes no sense

I have to carry 2 chargers and and adapter or 2 different headsets. My ideal scenario would be for both the MacBook and the iPhone to have dual USB-C ports and no other ports. You get 2 very versatile ports and I don't mind moving to USB-C headphones as that's the future anyways but Lightning headphones are limited to just iPhone/iPad, my MacBook cant even use them... it makes no sense

Ramma2

Anytime I've used Bluetooth headphones for watching video on my laptop or phone, there's been enough of a delay that audio doesn't sync up anymore. Is that no longer the case, did they fix that?

Whats the reasoning for going with Lightning again instead of USB-C?

Its kind of frustrating as a MacBook 12 owner which doesn't have Lightning ports. My MacBook can take a 3.5mm jack or USB-C and an iPhone7 only takes Lightning.... makes no sense

I have to carry 2 chargers and and adapter or 2 different headsets. My ideal scenario would be for both the MacBook and the iPhone to have dual USB-C ports and no other ports. You get 2 very versatile ports and I don't mind moving to USB-C headphones as that's the future anyways but Lightning headphones are limited to just iPhone/iPad, my MacBook cant even use them... it makes no sense

I'm guessing they won't push lighting headphones much at all. This move is likely mostly to push us onto BT/wireless. The only reason pretty much everyone doesn't use BT exclusively is caveats like sound quality and battery life - maybe they fixed those with some killer headphone product?

As for lightning vs usb-c for power, well, socket is twice as tall and wider, Maybe they don't see it as suitable yet, as their phones get thinner. Maybe they will wait for usb-c mini to come out. Or maybe this will be the last iPhone with lightning.

I'm guessing they won't push lighting headphones much at all. This move is likely mostly to push us onto BT/wireless. The only reason pretty much everyone doesn't use BT exclusively is caveats like sound quality and battery life - maybe they fixed those with some killer headphone product?

As for lightning vs usb-c for power, well, socket is twice as tall and wider, Maybe they don't see it as suitable yet, as their phones get thinner. Maybe they will wait for usb-c mini to come out. Or maybe this will be the last iPhone with lightning.

Lightning is not the goal for headphones, you're right. It's wireless. Lightning is only being used as a way to make wired still an option, but it's absolutely not a focus

so why is macbooks usb-c while iphones still use lightning?

If I were to make an educated guess, no snark involved, it's that back in 2012 Apple was looking for a small reversible port to replace the 30-pin dock. However, USB-C was still a far ways off, if it was even being prototyped back then, and they had to get something off the ground to get their phones to the desired thinness, and thus, Lightning. Now everyone has moved on to Lightning and have cables and accessories and all that, and moving to USB-C after only 4 years could be seen as insulting to the investment those people made in a short amount of time

Jeffrey

If I were to make an educated guess, no snark involved, it's that back in 2012 Apple was looking for a small reversible port to replace the 30-pin dock. However, USB-C was still a far ways off, if it was even being prototyped back then, and they had to get something off the ground to get their phones to the desired thinness, and thus, Lightning. Now everyone has moved on to Lightning and have cables and accessories and all that, and moving to USB-C after only 4 years could be seen as insulting to the investment those people made in a short amount of time

hmmm makes you wonder if USB-C will be on the list of changes for 2017 iphone.

jts

...hate me...
Even the new AirPods are charged via Lightning. They are doubling down on its relevance and importance.

I'm giving it a rest, Lightning is to here stay for a good while, unless legislation or something else will force their hand.

And I mean it's a great connector. But it's in the way of the one connector future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom