• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at Apple. there was a local news segment this evening about Apple removing the headphone jack and my wife yelled at me like I did it.

We burned an effigy of you at the store this week, to preempt all the people who are going to yell at us like we did it

Are you in the US? I thought that all 2-year contracts have been abolished?

Verizon still does them purely for existing customers, Sprint does them freely. All carriers actively dissuade you from signing into them

icespide, you might as well just cut your losses. Put the headphone jack back on, man

Verizon still does them purely for existing customers, Sprint does them freely. All carriers actively dissuade you from signing into them

icespide, you might as well just cut your losses. Put the headphone jack back on, man

*grits teeth and shakes fist at AT&T*

Oh well, on to a monthly payment plan and yearly (if I feel like it) upgrades for me! They'll have to pry my grandfathered unlimited data from my cold dead hands.

Jeffrey

So they cut the headphone jack to improve 3d touch.

hope they pass that savings to app devs to actually implement features for it this time?

*grits teeth and shakes fist at AT&T*

Oh well, on to a monthly payment plan and yearly (if I feel like it) upgrades for me! They'll have to pry my grandfathered unlimited data from my cold dead hands.

AT&T is gonna charge the hell out of you keeping unlimited data when upgrading. Seriously going to be expensive with the Next plan or buying the phone outright

So they cut the headphone jack to improve 3d touch.

hope they pass that savings to app devs to actually implement features for it this time?

Where did you read that? I read it was so they could move the display connector from the top right to the bottom left, giving more space up there for the camera

AT&T is gonna charge the hell out of you keeping unlimited data when upgrading. Seriously going to be expensive with the Next plan or buying the phone outright

I was under the impression that instead of going to AT&T, I could go to Apple, pay for the phone through their monthly financing thing, and just put my SIM card in it? I don't have to touch my AT&T plan at all. I've been out of contract since like April so I'm free to get literally any phone I want and just stick my SIM into it, unless I had it explained to me wrong?

Ah jeez I hope I didn't have it explained to me wrong. D:

Edit: Just checked my upgrade availability in the Apple Store App and I could go buy a 6S Plus right now without doing anything to my plan so I assume it will work the same way with the 7? I can do the Apple Upgrade Program, Apple iPhone Installments, or AT&T Next Every Year.

I was under the impression that instead of going to AT&T, I could go to Apple, pay for the phone through their monthly financing thing, and just put my SIM card in it? I don't have to touch my AT&T plan at all. I've been out of contract since like April so I'm free to get literally any phone I want and just stick my SIM into it, unless I had it explained to me wrong?

Edit: Just checked my upgrade availability in the Apple Store App and I could go buy a 6S Plus right now without doing anything to my plan so I assume it will work the same way with the 7? I can do the Apple Upgrade Program, Apple iPhone Installments, or AT&T Next Every Year.

You can do the iPhone Upgrade Program and keep your AT&T plan exactly the same, yes. The new phone has to be activated on your account so there might be a fee from AT&T, but it's possible. Won't be able to just pop your SIM in to the new one

As for the two Apple plans, iPhone Upgrade Program has yearly upgrades and AppleCare included, Installments is a locked 24 months, no AppleCare

ViciousDS

Banned
You can do the iPhone Upgrade Program and keep your AT&T plan exactly the same, yes. The new phone has to be activated on your account so there might be a fee from AT&T, but it's possible. Won't be able to just pop your SIM in to the new one

My experience with SIM cards is that its pop sim out of old phone and reuse in new phone. The card is already activated and shouldn't cause any new charges to appear. I've swapped my SIM card around in 6 phones in the last year alone and haven't had any issues.

Do you currently have Unlimited Data? If so, either a cycle or two ago, AT&T changed the rule so you had to buy directly from them if you wanted to keep your Unlimited Data plan. If they keep this, there is no way I'm leaving. I use about 5-6GB every month and I don't watch much video. Don't get how some people get by on 1-2GB a month with all the streaming music and video.

My experience with SIM cards is that its pop sim out of old phone and reuse in new phone. The card is already activated and shouldn't cause any new charges to appear. I've swapped my SIM card around in 6 phones in the last year alone and haven't had any issues.

You totally can, but with the iPhone Upgrade Program the new phone has to be ACTIVATED on a carrier, systematically. Can't buy it SIM-free and just move the card over

So yes, with AT&T you can move cards around as much as you want. But with iUP specifically there has to be an activation

ViciousDS

Banned
You totally can, but with the iPhone Upgrade Program the new phone has to be ACTIVATED on a carrier, systematically. Can't buy it SIM-free and just move the card over

So yes, with AT&T you can move cards around as much as you want. But with iUP specifically there has to be an activation

that's lame as hell......shouldn't be more than what $15 though for you?

ViciousDS

Banned
�� Try $45. AT&T followed Verizon's lead and went from $30 to $45. Absolutely disgusting to charge this fee this much if at all.

giphy.gif

Jeffrey

wth when was this a thing?

is there any news articles about this change?

ViciousDS

Banned
DETAILED INFORMATION
Wireless activation and upgrade fees
Details
Wireless activation and upgrade fees1 are one time fees that may be added to your first or next AT&T bill.
Activation and upgrade fees for devices purchased with an installment agreement – $20
Activation fee for bring your own device - $20.
Activation and upgrade fees for two year agreement - $45. Note: Two year agreements are available only on select devices.

1Activation and upgrade fees: Subject to change. If your upgrade device is backordered, the upgrade fee may appear on your bill before you receive your new device. No upgrade fee for line w/ a device purchased on an installment agmt prior to August 1, 2015. Waiver of fee subject to change.

But yet anything in google shows up switching over to a new iphone is as easy as using the website and activating it through itunes. huh

But yet anything in google shows up switching over to a new iphone is as easy as using the website and activating it through itunes. huh

Different definitions of "activating" in that context. Activating with AT&T for $20 is like when you're moving a new device onto your account. So like signing up for the AT&T Next plan or iPhone Upgrade Program. Doesn't apply if you're buying a phone outright or moving a previously used SIM into a different phone

pbsapeer

Banned
What the fuck? AT&T charge you $20 to "bring your own phone"
Am I reading that right????
That is crazy. US contracts sound awful :(

What the fuck? AT&T charge you $20 to "bring your own phone"
Am I reading that right????
That is crazy. US contracts sound awful :(

Generally you can get around it by not even telling AT&T that you bought a new device and you just take your SIM from the old phone and move it over, and that works just fine. Activation fees for "Bring Your Own Device" in this scenario only happens if you're opening an AT&T account or phone line for the first time and are being a phone you already possess. Once you have the phone line moving the SIM card works just the same, no fee

The $20 fee for activating with a payment plan in unavoidable, unfortunately

There might be exceptions to each of those scenarios but that's the general overview. Like paying full price for an AT&T-connected iPhone before the SIM-free models get released (usually a couple months after) at the Apple Store probably counts as an activation, so that's $20. But if you opt for the SIM-free models then you get to avoid that

Novocaine

So there won't be a model similar to the size of the SE? Good to know, I'm due for a new phone in January and I want to give an iphone a shot but I want the small SE size.

ViciousDS

Banned
So there won't be a model similar to the size of the SE? Good to know, I'm due for a new phone in January and I want to give an iphone a shot but I want the small SE size.

Well the SE launched in the spring......I have a feeling if they are going to launch another type of that model they will do the same next spring. Keeps sales going year round now, just like samsung and a few other companies.

Well the phone is unlocked right? Should be able to swap my current phones sim right in there just fine. Or is iphones different?

After activation the phone is unlocked, yes. Pop in whatever SIM card you want

I have to ask, what carrier do you have and how are you planning on upgrading? Why would you be so worried about moving your current SIM over if the phone has to be activated with your carrier anyway? It'll come with a SIM inside it that will have your number on it from the activation

Aiii

So not worth it
she literally was like "you can't charge and listen at the same time what the fuck? why would you do that??"

Heh, she's right. And just imagine how all the people with an external battery feel when they find out they can no longer charge their device on the road and listen to music on wired headsets. Especially those with decent high capacity batteries that cost them a good pretty penny.

The 50 dollar charging + headphone adapter is gonna be amazing though, I'm sure.

Heh, she's right. And just imagine how all the people with an external battery feel when they find out they can no longer charge their device on the road and listen to music on wired headsets. Especially those with decent high capacity batteries that cost them a good pretty penny.

The 50 dollar charging + headphone adapter is gonna be amazing though, I'm sure.

All the train, underground, bus journeys I've been on, I've never seen one person using an external battery pack. Niche?

finalflame

Gold Member

Pretty sure if they can afford expensive battery packs and a $700+ phone they can afford a $50 adapter.

finalflame

Gold Member
I can't believe people are standing up for this.

Honestly? It just doesn't matter to me. I've been using Bluetooth wireless headphones with my phone since the days of the 5S, my last 3 cars have all had Bluetooth connectivity for media, my home speaker/audio system supports Bluetooth, and if I did want to use one of my regular headphones, I'd just buy the adapter. In the scheme of buying expensive Apple devices, of which I own many (5K iMac, MBP Retina, iPhone 6, iPad Pro, SS Apple Watch 42mm), it's just a non-issue.You can be outraged for days, I still couldn't care less about the lack of a 3.5mm jack. I suspect plenty of iPhone buyers will feel the same. And Apple will sell as many adapters as there are people absolutely requiring 3.5mm jacks, or just convince people to buy wireless Beats/AirPods.

And the world will keep turning. Honestly, Apple plays its own game, and you can either play ball or not own one of their devices. It has always been this way. I'm not interested in debating whether it's right or wrong, it just is what it is. I'm still of the opinion that if you can't afford a $50 adapter, you probably don't need a $700+ phone.

Tadaima

Honestly? It just doesn't matter to me. I've been using Bluetooth wireless headphones with my phone since the days of the 5S, my last 3 cars have all had Bluetooth connectivity for media, my home speaker/audio system supports Bluetooth, and if I did want to use one of my regular headphones, I'd just buy the adapter. In the scheme of buying expensive Apple devices, of which I own many (5K iMac, MBP Retina, iPhone 6, iPad Pro, SS Apple Watch 42mm), it's just a non-issue.You can be outraged for days, I still couldn't care less about the lack of a 3.5mm jack.

Then speak for yourself, and stop making assumptions about other people's purchasing power.

You may be living comfortably with your 5K iMac, MBP Retina, iPhone 6, iPad Pro, SS Apple Watch 42mm, 3 cars, and wireless headphones, but not every "$700+ phone" owner has the money left over to afford even simple extra luxuries.

Many average people such as students on limited funds or folks living paycheck to paycheck but who save up for a good phone with high resale value will now be forced to buy something that before now was completely unnecessary. This could be a new overpriced cable for when the adapter inevitably gets broken (typical of Apple adapters) or goes missing, or it could be an even pricier multi-input adapter for when they want to listen to music at work or in bed as their phone charges.

If they can't justify the expense of either, they are left with the option of a phone without audio, or an alternative phone out of their familiar ecosystem and with low resale value.

People with your attitude annoy the shit out of me.

For me personally, having just bought a nice pair of Audio Technicas with a desire to use them as much as possible, the lack of an AUX port will be a bit of a pain in the ass.

Aiii

So not worth it
Pretty sure if they can afford expensive battery packs and a $700+ phone they can afford a $50 adapter.

I can afford a great many things I don't really want to waste money on though. There's a lot of things 50 bucks can buy me that I would prefer over an adapter to recover functionality that has been pretty much par for the course for handheld devices since the invention of the Walkman.

Many average people such as students on limited funds or folks living paycheck to paycheck but who save up for a good phone with high resale value will now be forced to buy something that before now was completely unnecessary. This could be a new overpriced cable for when the adapter inevitably gets broken (typical of Apple adapters) or goes missing, or it could be an even pricier multi-input adapter for when they want to listen to music at work or in bed as their phone charges.

If they can't justify the expense of either, they are left with the option of a phone without audio, or an alternative phone out of their familiar ecosystem and with low resale value.

People with your attitude annoy the shit out of me.

I would bet there will be dozens of third party adaptors/splitters available on Amazon for a fraction of the price. Also, if you have limited funds or you living pay check to pay check, then buying a top end iPhone isn't a very good idea to begin with.

Many average people such as students on limited funds or folks living paycheck to paycheck but who save up for a good phone with high resale value will now be forced to buy something that before now was completely unnecessary.

I get your point, and don't wanna break your balls too much, but there is so much wrong with this sentence :D

Tadaima

I would bet there will be dozens of third party adaptors/splitters available on Amazon for a fraction of the price. Also, if you have limited funds or you living pay check to pay check, then buying a top end iPhone isn't a very good idea to begin with.

The "top end" iPhone will be the "mid-range" iPhone in a year from now, and the "low end" in two.

People buy iPhone for a reason. The price is higher than most phones, but so is the resale value. An iPhone is more than just a flashy phone or status symbol. You get what you pay for, and you get a chunk of it back if times get tough or you decide to upgrade later down the line.

I too have no doubt that there will be cheaper options available, but it is still an otherwise unnecessary expense for people who are already squeezed. The reason I stepped in to discuss it was because of finalflame's ignorance towards Apple's demographics. The fact of the matter is that lower-income households do account for a significant slice of iPhone sales.

"Switch to Android" or "get the old model" are not really optimal, long-term solutions.

The "top end" iPhone will be the "mid-range" iPhone in a year from now, and the "low end" in two.

People buy iPhone for a reason. The price is higher than most phones, but so is the resale value. An iPhone is more than just a flashy phone or status symbol. You get what you pay for, and you get a chunk of it back if times get tough or you decide to upgrade later down the line.

I too have no doubt that there will be cheaper options available, but it is still an otherwise unnecessary expense for people who are already squeezed. The reason I stepped in to discuss it was because of finalflame's ignorance towards Apple's demographics. The fact of the matter is that lower-income households do account for a significant slice of iPhone sales.

"Switch to Android" or "get the old model" are not really optimal, long-term solutions.

I honestly think the majority of iPhone users don't think about resale value when they buy them. But again, there will be third party adaptors available for a fraction of the price, so the unnecessary expense is a moot point.

Jeffrey

After activation the phone is unlocked, yes. Pop in whatever SIM card you want

I have to ask, what carrier do you have and how are you planning on upgrading? Why would you be so worried about moving your current SIM over if the phone has to be activated with your carrier anyway? It'll come with a SIM inside it that will have your number on it from the activation

At&t. Idk. I have other uses for $45 than a nonsense fee. If I can avoid paying for it, I would do that.

Ok, so I have a question about changing carriers. Right now I'm on AT&T and have been since the iPhone 3G. I still have a grandfathered unlimited plan that has ballooned to a little over $100 a month for 1 line. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to switch to T-Mobile because it looks like I'll be able to save like $20-$25 a month. If I want to preorder an iPhone 7, what is my best way about going about this? Can I preorder from Apple and have the phone shipped to my house to activate on T-Mobile, do I have to order from Apple with an in store appointment to have them activate it on T-Mobile, or do I need to order from T-Mobile directly? My AT&T contract expires in 5 days on 9/12 so I can't run into T-Mobile today or tomorrow and make the switch yet on my current 6s Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom