• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting take, considering that's the usual bump you find in competing devices.

By the way, the iPhone 6 to 6s jump was up to;
70% cpu improvement
90% gpu improvement

Hope that cleared things up for you.

How do you all use your iPhones? I mostly surf the web, listen to music, and read books. I wonder if I need extra cpu and gpu from 6s+. I also take pictures.

Jeffrey

An interesting take, considering that's the usual bump you find in competing devices.

70% cpu improvement
90% gpu improvement

The biggest bum really was the doubling of the ram from 1-2 gb.

fixes tons of stutter issues that the 6plus had.

Those cheapasses really should have stuck 2gb of ram in the 6 plus to begin with >.<

How do you all use your iPhones? I mostly surf the web, listen to music, and read books. I wonder if I need extra cpu and gpu from 6s+. I also take pictures.

If those are all you do, why not get a cheap $400 or less android phone? iphone will always run better, but if your use cases are that light, no point in spending $850 on a phone when you can fit your uses for half the price or less.

jts

...hate me...
I'm pretty sure it's only going to be distributed to devs on the 7th, but unlike betas it's not locked to devs.

I'd wait for the OTA release, though, since you'd have to "restore" your phone from the GM image.
Nah, you can manually update to GM.

Fhtagn

70% cpu improvement
90% gpu improvement

The 6 to 6s was a larger jump than expected, the 6s is still a top performer a year later, so an additional 35% is still impressive.

I'm on a 6 right now so that's gonna be a huge improvement.

reKon

Banned

Why can't you just google this? Lol...

If I type: why you shouldn't leave your phone charging overnight in google I get this:

http://www.androidauthority.com/leave-phone-plugged-overnight-703078/

http://mashable.com/2014/06/18/phone-charging-myths/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/expert-advice-on-how-to-avoid-destroying-your-phones-battery/

All have the same consistent answer: our batteries are smart enough to discharge itself a bit before becoming fully charged, but constantly leaving it charged to fully over night would be slowly detrimental to the overall battery lifespan.

kharma45

Why not? this isn't 90s anymore. Your electronics are smart enough to turn off charge once the battery is full. It won't keep charging.

Exactly. I don't understand why people still think this is the case.

All have the same consistent answer: our batteries are smart enough to discharge itself a bit before becoming fully charged, but constantly leaving it charged to fully over night would be slowly detrimental to the overall battery lifespan.

No it's not, since it's not charging the battery.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Why can't you just google this? Lol...

If I type: why you shouldn't leave your phone charging overnight in google I get this:

http://www.androidauthority.com/leave-phone-plugged-overnight-703078/

http://mashable.com/2014/06/18/phone-charging-myths/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/expert-advice-on-how-to-avoid-destroying-your-phones-battery/

Ya the damage is negligible, I wouldn't worry about for something like that for a device I will replace in 2-3 years anyways.

see my links above

LOL I think you should open those links first. Just watch the 90sec video from DigitalTrends

People being scared about babysitting their batteries in 2016....smh. If you need to be concerned it's not a good product. This is assuming you only plan on using it a couple of years.

DOWN

Banned
At the Apple Store here the guy said employees pick the Plus model over regular by far. I'm on a regular 6. I should go 7+ right? I'm finding the massive screen appealing

BeforeU

At the Apple Store here the guy said employees pick the Plus model over regular by far. I'm on a regular 6. I should go 7+ right? I'm finding the massive screen appealing

Yeah, after using 5.5"+ screen I can't go back.

Chittagong

Gold Member

After two years on 6 Plus and 6S Plus I went back to SE, absolutely loving it. I realised that the bigbscreen was more of an inconvenience for pocketability and one handed use than I gained from the screen estate in exchange. Browser would be the only app to,really benefit, but even then I use mostly NeoGAF mobile site. SE is the perfect size for me.

You get used to the bigger size after about a week, and then there's no going back. It's incredible, especially if you watch videos and play games often.

reKon

Banned
I have, and it backs up what I said.

From the middle one as it's a shorter read

Yes, it's not using the battery at all for the majority of the time, but it's the battery is still topped off to hit 100% since the battery technically would be discharging over night, charging always results in higher temps even if it's a tiny amount - you know one of the factors that hurts the overall health of the battery?

Therefore, I think that doing this every would technically have a very very minimal impact to the overall battery capacity (I should have just left this out of my post entirely though).

The simple answer has already been stated that, yes you can leave your phone plugged in overnight and it ideally it should be without a case on for lower battery temps while charging.

People being scared about babysitting their batteries in 2016....smh. If you need to be concerned it's not a good product. This is assuming you only plan on using it a couple of years.

A lot of people I know complain about their battery life getting noticeably worse after a year from using their flagship smartphones. I don't know how much their poor battery charging habits would affect the overall capacity over a year from letting it drain to zero and charging it fully, but this is good common knowledge for people to have. It's not that hard to change this habit, so I'm not sure why you're calling it babysitting, lol...

depends on your priorities

I wear skinnier style jeans and my hands aren't very big so I just see it as a constant inconvenience. I've used big phones that were smaller than the plus and I've found them a hassle. The regular model is the sweet spot for me personally.

If you don't mind the size then get it and you'll get used to it.

Jeffrey

I'd argue stick with the smaller iphone until they fix the bezels hopefully in 2017 refresh.

6+ only seems huge because of huge side bezels.

check out any flagship android phone that is 5.5" or bigger in 2016 and they are much more easy to manage.

jax

Banned
Of course they say that, it's the most expensive option. They're there to take your money, after all.

The SE is the perfect size. Without multitasking the big screen on the + is 100% pointless. I went from 6+ (way too big, couldn't get rid of it fast enough) to the 6S (still too big for one handed use, kept dropping it) to the SE (Steve Jobs invented smartphones, so I think he was on to something with screen size.)

So far it's been about 6 months and I haven't experienced "oh I wish my screen was bigger" one time. Go buy an iPad if you want a huge screen for movies.

Lack of headphone jack still seems dumb to me. Is it more cost beneficial for Apple to include an adapter in every box rather than having the headphone jack built into the device?

Of course they say that, it's the most expensive option. They're there to take your money, after all.

The SE is the perfect size. Without multitasking the big screen on the + is 100% pointless. I went from 6+ (way too big, couldn't get rid of it fast enough) to the 6S (still too big for one handed use, kept dropping it) to the SE (Steve Jobs invented smartphones, so I think he was on to something with screen size.)

So far it's been about 6 months and I haven't experienced "oh I wish my screen was bigger" one time. Go buy an iPad if you want a huge screen for movies.

Did he?

I agree about the Plus model size, my hand would painfully seize due to how big it was, I'm now using a smaller phone and my hand has been fine since.

BeforeU

Lack of headphone jack still seems dumb to me. Is it more cost beneficial for Apple to include an adapter in every box rather than having the headphone jack built into the device?

for a long term? Yes.

They want to lock their customer using proprietary accessory. They want to sell you $300 beats headset and then make sure they never work on any other device. Which means you will more likely buy next iPhone and not Samsung phone. I just hope this upsets more people. I would still understand having USB C headphone jack. Because we know eventually that will become standard on every smartphones, tablets and computers. But fucking lightning port headset?

for a long term? Yes.

They want to lock their customer using proprietary accessory. They want to sell you $300 beats headset and then make sure they never work on any other device. Which means you will more likely buy next iPhone and not Samsung phone. I just hope this upsets more people. I would still understand having USB C headphone jack. Because we know eventually that will become standard on every smartphones, tablets and computers. But fucking lightning port headset?

I think they're banking on the future being entirely wireless headsets, lightning headphones are just a stopgap.

jax

Banned
Did he?

I agree about the Plus model size, my hand would painfully seize due to how big it was, I'm now using a smaller phone and my hand has been fine since.

I mean, he pioneered modern smartphones how we know them. The Mobile-PC products that existed before share almost nothing in common with 2016 smartphones.

Even the Note lineup includes a stylus and functionality with a pen, the 5.5 inch iPhone is still based around your finger and thumb as a pointing device, which is straight up terrible on larger screens.

If the + iPhones offered a shred of functionality over the others I would say go for it, but since theres no multitasking, virtually no landscape app/homescreen support, no proper stylus support, and virtually the same cameras (Talking about the SE/6S and 6S+ here, maybe the 7+ will have a way better camera than the 7, in which case the + would be the better call .. if you don't have a S already) there's really no point in sacrificing one handed usability of the phone. I mean, unless you're one of those Apple fanboys that just needs the most expensive iPhone every year. Personally, I'd rather spend the $1000 on cooler gadgets. (Boosted Board, Vive, Gaming PC, Drone, PSneo, XboneS)

Peak smartphone was hit 3 years ago. Shoving another camera in it and painting in black doesn't make it innovative. A few years ago there weren't cooler toys around. Now there is. Shit, I'd rather buy a MacBook or iPad before dropping a grand on a slightly better iPhone.

If they put Multitasking in the + though, then it would be worth it.

Mortemis

Banned
Did he?

I don't know about seizing pain, but using my phone for long periods of time I definitely notice a little pain. After almost a year of using my plus, I love the battery life, but tbh I never felt that the screen size was worth it. It's really noticeable when putting it in jeans or shorts, and it honestly feels like a hassle carrying it around sometimes.

With the 7 being most likely being more efficient and having a bigger battery, if it can last me a whole day (and there's a nice promo from t-mobile), I'll probably upgrade to the smaller size.

New report from a Vietnamese website claims all models of iPhone 7 will be capable of 4K video at 60 FPS. Also claims to have seen the rubber seal around the SIM tray, which would likely confirm the waterproof design (if the site isn't full of shit).

jax

Banned
New repor from a Vietnamese website claims all models of iPhone 7 capable of 4K video at 60 FPS. Also claims to have seen the rubber seal around the SIM tray, which would likely confirm the waterproof design (if the site isn't full of shit).

I hope the regular 7 has that camera. :(

4k at 60fps.

how many mins before the 32gb is filled?

About 10 minutes? I think...

Edit, just found this on Reddit:

Each frame of a 4k resolution inmage is 4096 by 2160 pixels, meaning it has a total of 8,847,360 pixels per frame, or 530,841,600 pixels per second. Multiplying that by 3600 gets us to 1,911,029,760,000 pixels per hour. Assuming that the video is in 24-bit color depth, we get 3 bytes per pixel, or 5,733,089,280,000 bytes per hour. This is equivalent to about 5.2 terabytes per hour. I think...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
These phones are gonna last for fucking ever. My 6+ is still perfectly responsive and in-no-way feels unmodern or in need of an upgrade. Something with specs like the 7 seems capable of lasting 4 years before getting annoying.

Jeffrey

These phones are gonna last for fucking ever. My 6+ is still perfectly responsive and in-no-way feels unmodern or in need of an upgrade. Something with specs like the 7 seems capable of lasting 4 years before getting annoying.

its not perfect. If you use a 3rd party keyboard, expect some delay when booting it up, also sliding down for spotlight search on home screen will have jutter.

though besides those, everything else should be fine.

I do game a lot on my phone so my 6+'s battery was kinda meh a year+ in.

mrkgoo

I'm still on my iPhone 5 and it does exactly what I need. I don't feel any necessity for upgrade.

Blackhead

Redarse

The 6+ was never "perfectly" responsive. That you would even suggest so calls into question your ability to determine what responsiveness is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom