• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not debatable that iOS app equivalents are often better than their Android counterparts, and this is coming from someone who recently used both back to back to for over a week. Major apps with millions and millions of downloads have worse assets, animations, and slower startup times and transitions. It's to the point where I even wondered how it's allowed to be so much worse. This is a big deal as to why I prefer iOS. Not to mention it usually gets apps first or even exclusively.

Im not debating the app quality. I'm debating the OS jank.

Google's Android is smooth. Yes, it requires more resources than an ios but it's not the crap that Samsung is pedaling.

None of this shit even matters as we become more dependent on voice commands and ai. Google will by far separate itself from Apple then.

Jeffrey

I don't get why people keep saying this. iOS isn't 100% smooth either, mostly depending on the year.

iphone 6 plus was a SHIT show at least for me. massive stutter on search spotlight. 3rd party keyboards keep crashing (not sure if its ram or ios issue). Apps will constantly restart when multitasking.

heck ios 9 lead to my phone going black screen apple logo restart at least once a week and the Apple geniuses mentioned this was as designed when the phone is low on memory.

They wouldn't even let me swap for a different one.

A9 + 2gb of ram has gotten the iphone where it should have been, and yes the 6S finally is great performance wise, but yeah, I'll still a bit bitter that I spent $850 for that 6+.

Think ill stick with 'S' line iphones from now on.

S models are usually better as they've worked out the kinks with hardware and software that the new design brought. This 7 seems like a re-retry so not sure if it's going to be even better or have new issues if it's true of the home button and new cameras

Jeffrey

S models are usually better as they've worked out the kinks with hardware and software that the new design brought. This 7 seems like a re-retry so not sure if it's going to be even better or have new issues if it's true of the home button and new cameras

it should be fine. Really think the 1gb of ram was what killed the 6+ in performance.

6S+ runs fine, and 7+ having 3gb of ram should have no issue unless something weird happens.

Red

Typically yes, but this phone seems like a revision on the 6s.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
A9 still beasting. Amazing single core performance + ability to sustain that performance + blazing storage speed compared to competitors makes the 6s a champ.

A10 with 3gb of ram pushing 1080p will guarantee brilliant performance that will likely leave Android competition (samsung) in the dust, this year and the next.
Technically it's pushing 1242 x 2208 then down sampling by a factor of 1.15 to display 1080p :/

Ambient80

If I'm on the Apple upgrade program does the phone I'm turning in have to be in a certain condition? My screen has a crack in it. Still functions totally fine tho.

icespide

Banned
If I'm on the Apple upgrade program does the phone I'm turning in have to be in a certain condition? My screen has a crack in it. Still functions totally fine tho.
depending on the damage I would guess you'd have to pay the standard AppleCare fee for a replacement

StillEdge

you still pay a fee for a replacement though

Weak. Then I have no idea what AppleCare actually does cover. What is the point of them tacking on the AppleCare+ to all the iPhone forever plans if you are going to be within the year warranty at all times? Definitely not questioning you why Apple does things just venting I guess. I assumed I had accident coverage with the AppleCare+.

icespide

Banned
Weak. Then I have no idea what AppleCare actually does cover. What is the point of them tacking on the AppleCare+ to all the iPhone forever plans if you are going to be within the year warranty at all times? Definitely not questioning you why Apple does things just venting I guess. I assumed I had accident coverage with the AppleCare+.
the fee would be a lot more without AppleCare. it does cover accidental damage.

You do it's just cheaper to pay the AppleCare fee than paying the cost of a refurb if you completely trash it.

AppleCare hasn't really been worth it since they started doing screen repairs.

The cost of AC + the replacement fee is higher than if you just break your screen and pay for the repair. If you trash it completely though ie water damage its worth it.

rubes7844

Banned
This mentality is ridiculous and needs to end.

A Galaxy phone is not a representation of Android. A Galaxy phone is Android with Samsung's TouchWiz on top of it.

Google's phones that run vanilla Android are clean, fast and have no jank or dropped frames like you hear about with Samsung's.
I had a bad time with my nexus 6.

the fee would be a lot more without AppleCare. it does cover accidental damage.
Not really a "lot" more. The deductible on Apple Care is $100 and the cost of replacing a cracked screen is $130/$150 through Apple, but since you only get two repairs with Apple Care you could split the cost of each repair to the cost of the plan and say it is $150 for the repair. Realistically AppleCare is only really useful for water damage on the iPhone Upgrade Program since most people are going to be replacing their phone every year and won't see the benefit of the longer warranty limit.

toohectic

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/

Section 2.g states that there cannot be any cracks in the screen. Like others have stated, you will likely have to pay the $99 replacement when you exchange your current phone for the iPhone 7 to cover the screen damage.

finalflame

I use an iPhone 6 and Nexus 5X daily (one personal phone, one work phone). I also use a number of Android devices at work for testing purposes, on everything from Android 2.1 to 7.0.

iOS has FAR less jank, superior apps, better usability period. Full stop. End of sentence.

Stoked for the 7.

ViciousDS

Banned
meh, I'll hold onto my 6s+ till the next iteration......a chip that isn't going to get used appropriately by 99% of the market(never forget the strangle 4s had on all apps XD), minor ram upgrade.....my damn one plus 3 has 6GB if I cared about RAM issues, no headphone jack........seems pretty easy to wait for me!

meh, I'll hold onto my 6s+ till the next iteration......a chip that isn't going to get used appropriately by 99% of the market(never forget the strangle 4s had on all apps XD), minor ram upgrade.....my damn one plus 3 has 6GB if I cared about RAM issues, no headphone jack........seems pretty easy to wait for me!

Android and iOS RAM management aren't really comparable.

Fitts

I've had an iPhone 6 since it released and was given an S7 for a work phone last week. I've never liked Samsung's hardware nor software, but the S7 has been far beyond my iPhone in every way so far. (save for the glass back -- always the dumbest design choice that forces casing) It doesn't help that this week I encountered yet another frustrating glitch after receiving an iOS update. My phone was stuck in headphone audio mode. After trying every fix I could find I ultimately had to restore.

The iPhone 6 was my first and it'll be my last iPhone. I've encountered performance issues on Android, but never outright glitches like I've persistently had with iOS. Add to that the subpar hardware (poor screen to bezel ratio, terrible ergonomics in the name of thinness, low volume ear piece, the only phone screen I've ever had develop hairline scratching, a misaligned front camera, fails to get signal in places where my work phone does when they're using the same network) and lack of customization and I don't see why I should give Apple another chance. If my upgrading terms hadn't changed I would dump it immediately, but it's kind of a waste to pay full price for a phone when what I have ultimately does the job.

I wonder how this will go for Apple. I'm a consistent every two-year upgrader, but I'm pretty happy to wait until next year this go around.

I've had an iPhone 6 since it released and was given an S7 for a work phone last week. I've never liked Samsung's hardware nor software, but the S7 has been far beyond my iPhone in every way so far. (save for the glass back -- always the dumbest design choice that forces casing) It doesn't help that this week I encountered yet another frustrating glitch after receiving an iOS update. My phone was stuck in headphone audio mode. After trying every fix I could find I ultimately had to restore.

The iPhone 6 was my first and it'll be my last iPhone. I've encountered performance issues on Android, but never outright glitches like I've persistently had with iOS. Add to that the subpar hardware (poor screen to bezel ratio, terrible ergonomics in the name of thinness, low volume ear piece, the only phone screen I've ever had develop hairline scratching, a misaligned front camera, fails to get signal in places where my work phone does when they're using the same network) and lack of customization and I don't see why I should give Apple another chance. If my upgrading terms hadn't changed I would dump it immediately, but it's kind of a waste to pay full price for a phone when what I have ultimately does the job.
Some of that sounds like you got a lemon.

I'm on the iPhone 5 and can't wait to upgrade to the 7+

VoxPop

This mentality is ridiculous and needs to end.

A Galaxy phone is not a representation of Android. A Galaxy phone is Android with Samsung's TouchWiz on top of it.

Google's phones that run vanilla Android are clean, fast and have no jank or dropped frames like you hear about with Samsung's.

They have plenty of jank. Don't blame Samsung for that. I'm over it though. I'll just take it as a part of Android.

Skimming the article (I'm at work, so not much time to read at the moment), it appears to support your argument that Samsung's Android "enhancements" suck. But I didn't notice much to disprove the claim that stock Android is less (or equally) janky than iOS, which was the original argument you were refuting, correct?

Did I skim over that part of the article?

Jeffrey

android has its jank.

ios had* its jank. Think A9 has mostly sorted that stuff out for ios9.

functionality wise, Note 7 is still supreme in terms of things you can do out of the box vs iphone, but at the cost of performance over 'stockish' android and iOS.

In the end its what the user wants right?

Thank god there are options.

android has its jank.

ios had* its jank. Think A9 has mostly sorted that stuff out for ios9.

functionality wise, Note 7 is still supreme in terms of things you can do out of the box vs iphone, but at the cost of performance over 'stockish' android and iOS.

In the end its what the user wants right?

Thank god there are options.

I agree with everything you said.

However, from my experiences in the Android/Samsung ecosystem, most Galaxy/Note phones are more capable out of the box than their iPhone counterparts. But, at least a few years ago, much of that "capability" were things that were halfway implemented or poorly thought out, or that sometimes just didn't work as advertised.

Facial recognition, their pre-Touch ID fingerprint scanner, Air View, double-tap the top of the phone to scroll up on web or mail pages...I could go on.

That isn't to say they don't make great stuff, and god know the S7 is sexy as fuck, and they may have worked out all of the kinks in all of their new bells and whistles, but just because a phone has a feature doesn't mean it's all it's cracked up to be.

Jeffrey

I agree with everything you said.

However, from my experiences in the Android/Samsung ecosystem, most Galaxy/Note phones are more capable out of the box than their iPhone counterparts. But, at least a few years ago, much of that "capability" were things that were halfway implemented or poorly thought out, or that sometimes just didn't work as advertised.

Facial recognition, their pre-Touch ID fingerprint scanner, Air View, double-tap the top of the phone to scroll up on web or mail pages...I could go on.

That isn't to say they don't make great stuff, and god know the S7 is sexy as fuck, and they may have worked out all of the kinks in all of their new bells and whistles, but just because a phone has a feature doesn't mean it's all it's cracked up to be.

same could be said about a lot of iOS features (They even apologized publically about the shit show Maps was at launch). Has 3D touch caught on yet? I feel like only in the last few months that some key apps like Facebook got any 3D touch features.

Feel like at this point in the maturity of the smartphone, companies are just tossing features/gimmicks willy nilly to see what sticks, or what attracts people to update their phones, because we kinda plateaued on phone performance for average users.

VoxPop

Skimming the article (I'm at work, so not much time to read at the moment), it appears to support your argument that Samsung's Android "enhancements" suck. But I didn't notice much to disprove the claim that stock Android is less (or equally) janky than iOS, which was the original argument you were refuting, correct?

Did I skim over that part of the article?

What? I never said Android is equal or less janky than ios nor am I debating that.

I'm saying that Google's Android is smooth and Samsung's bastardization of it is not.

You can't use a TouchWiz Samsung device than say you have experienced Android. Samsung adds way too much shit and ruins the performance.

It will be awesome to compare Googles new Pixel phones to the Note 7 in a month. Unfortunately people will still buy the galaxies in droves over the Google ones. #marketing

That hot and cold thing is hilarious.

I dont need to read an XDA article to know Android is janky. I've learned from real world experience via a dozen Android phones. Haven't tried Nougat but that same jank was there till MM. It's not a deal breaker by any means (to me at least) but to flat out deny it doesn't exist is kind of ridiculous.

You not having nougat yet most likely proves your using an Android phone with a skin and not Google's.

Jeffrey

What? I never said Android is equal or less janky than ios nor am I debating that.

I'm saying that Google's Android is smooth and Samsung's bastardization of it is not.

You can't use a TouchWiz Samsung device than say you have experienced Android. Samsung adds way too much shit and ruins the performance.

It will be awesome to compare Googles new Pixel phones to the Note 7 in a month. Unfortunately people will still buy the galaxies in droves over the Google ones. #marketing

Experiencing android means nothing though.

The top 3 best selling smartphone manufacturers are:

1. Samsung (heavily skinned android - touchwiz)
2. Apple (iOS)
3. Huawei (heavily skinned android -EMUI)

The amount of people that use a heavily skinned android phone vs AOSP is huge.

People have been saying Android jank has been fixed since Ice Cream Sandwich and it will be every subsequent release since. It will never be fixed until the whole thing is rewritten.

VoxPop

You not having nougat yet most likely proves your using an Android phone with a skin and not Google's.

Why does it matter if someone else will get the same jank on a different phone a year after Nougat is released. I've also had the GNex, N4 and N5. They were all equally janky regardless of what version of Android was on it.

It's just saying it's not specifically a Samsung problem even though they're probably the biggest offender. It was on every Android device I've ever used.

cchum

People have been saying Android jank has been fixed since Ice Cream Sandwich and it will be every subsequent release since. It will never be fixed until the whole thing is rewritten.

Back to formula?

BfLfTzc.jpg

Enkidu

An open field is a worst-case scenario? That seems backwards.
Obviously it depends on how you hold your phone, but assuming you have it in your pocket, it absolutely is. Ultimately, what matters is how much of the signal from the phone reaches the headset. If you have the phone in your pocket, it's unlikely that there will be any reliable line-of-sight with the headsets, which means that the waves will have to either curve around the body (happens, but quite unreliable) or bounce of something else to get there. If you are outside in a field, there will barely be anything that can reflect the signal towards the headset, so it is a very tough situation. If you are inside, there will be lots of walls around reflecting everything. Interference from other RF sources is mitigated quite well in the protocol so the fact that it might be a "noisier" environment than the field means very little.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is AirPlay it's own protocol? I thought it just used Bluetooth/Wi-Fi

AirPlay works over Bluetooth and WiFi.

They even disguise A2DP as AirPlay for Bluetooth speakers.
I meant in response to this:
I hope they introduce an open, non-propietary wireless extension to BT. Something akin to Aptx, but open.
i.e. AirPlay isn't open. I'd rather they use generic Bluetooth instead of a closed alternative.
AirPlay only works over a network. they aren't going to use that for headphones
It can create an adhoc network though. It's the age of IoT; you can fit a wifi chip in anything. AirPlay Audio:
In the past, it would have seemed impractical to manufacture something like a headphone with the networking capabilities required to make use of AirPlay, but now that even lightbulbs have WiFi the landscape seems different.
The main concern would be battery life but they would 'solve' that with a battery case. Actually while looking up the battery case info I recalled the 'old' (January!) article where Mark Gurman detailed the Airpods leak:
9to5Mac said:
  • Airpods by Beats
  • "Bluetooth"
  • 3 hour battery life ("sub-4-hours")
  • premium pricing ($300?!)
  • wireless charging

jts

...hate me...
No way Apple will pack in $300 earbuds with the iPhone, or even have them as the only first party bluetooth alternative at that price. Maybe there will be "affordable" EarPods (by Apple) and premium EarPods (by Beats).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom