• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPod advice/help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Okay, I dont have anywhere near enough hard drive space available on my PC at school to store every song I'll be putting on my iPod and while at home I use a different computer anyway which would further complicate issues. I've found out that iTunes will delete songs it doesnt locate in my library which simply will not fly for me, so I want to use another application. I've been reading up some on this EphPod and heard a few horror stories, so for anyone who has used a third-party application -- can you offer some advice on which program to use? Thanks.

IntestineBoy

Sasquatch of 1000 (hairy) colons
I use Ephpod, iTunes has problems with my computer and my pod, but basically, ephPod just works great. I don't synchronize my whole library, so it's good to just add what I need, and then go from there. I have used iTunes on my friend's computers and pods, but I think i like ephpod the best.

jiggle

Turn off auto-update on itunes. Add song by dragging songs onto ur ipod icon on itunes. I don't think it'll delete anything.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Meier said:
Okay, I dont have anywhere near enough hard drive space available on my PC at school to store every song I'll be putting on my iPod and while at home I use a different computer anyway which would further complicate issues. I've found out that iTunes will delete songs it doesnt locate in my library which simply will not fly for me, so I want to use another application. I've been reading up some on this EphPod and heard a few horror stories, so for anyone who has used a third-party application -- can you offer some advice on which program to use? Thanks.

If you set the iPod to manual management in iTunes, it won't delete songs it can't find in the iTunes library.

Meier

jiggle said:
Turn off auto-update on itunes. Add song by dragging songs onto ur ipod icon on itunes. I don't think it'll delete anything.

Okay cool, I was under the impression from a conversation on AIM that that wouldnt necessarily work. Thanks.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Before iTunes became available on the Windows platform, I used ephpod to great effect. Not sure if its been updated to support the more recent iPods or not, but if you really want to avoid iTunes, I think ephpod is a great choice to look into.

Note - I use iTunes now, with auto-synching turned OFF.

Mr Gump

Banned
How do i turn off auto synchronisation?

And suppose i get rid of all the songs on my pc, am i able to transfer all the songs from my ipod back onto my pc at a later date?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Mr Gump said:
How do i turn off auto synchronisation?

When you dock the iPod, right-click its icon in iTunes. It's one of the options.

Mr Gump said:
And suppose i get rid of all the songs on my pc, am i able to transfer all the songs from my ipod back onto my pc at a later date?
More or less, make sure you enable the disk access on the iPod so it shows up in Explorer. The files are distributed across the iPod hard drive in what appears to be a random fashion. You can copy them all back, but not in any kind of order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom