• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Cloud Gaming is seeing increased queue times as demand surges

Spyxos

Gold Member
Speaking of Fortnite, another major game was recently added to Xbox Game Pass' cloud library in the form of Grand Theft Auto V. Last time GTAV was added, the service saw a surge in popularity which resulted in occasional queues. Although it's unconfirmed if GTAV is directly responsible, many users on Xbox Cloud Gaming communities are blaming GTAV for this recent, much larger influx of queues, which is hitting Microsoft's cloud gaming systems in various regions.

Even off-peak, I've found myself in situations where a cloud game can take anywhere up to 5 minutes to get going. Before writing this article, I sought to test it out for myself, and nabbed a 3-minute queue time followed by a further 3-4 minutes of "Sorry, this is taking longer than we expected" queue timing. Some users on reddit have reported queues of anywhere up to an hour though, which surely strikes me as a bug, but it's hard to know exactly what the situation is per region.

It has been suggested to me that some of the delay could be caused by how Xbox Game Pass handles game delivery on cloud these days — as the library has grown, Microsoft doesn't keep every single cloud game installed on the servers at all times, opting instead to spin up nearby servers on the fly with the specific game you requested.

Microsoft is also offloading some of the GPU cycles from Xbox Cloud Gaming to A.I. processing services when they're not in use as part of Microsoft's big ChatGPT / Bing Chat push. The AI processing may also be inducing queues, as servers flip priorities around. It's a downside, but it also crucially extends the business viability of the service in a world where Apple and Google won't allow Microsoft to monetize on their platforms.

I have also had frequent waits of 10 minutes in recent weeks.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
No No No GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Quezacolt

All that talk about "you dont have to wait with cloud gaming" and here we have it, queue times, wich is even worse than waiting to download a patch.

MMO players know the pain that is to be waiting a long time in a queue, some BS happens, you lose your spot and have to wait 1+ hours again

Quasicat

I was at a friend’s house and he wanted to play Fortnite. All I brought with me was my iPad, so I fired up the free version of cloud gaming and saw a 30 minute queue line. I wasn’t too upset since I’m not a GamePass Ultimate member, but I would be pissed if I were paying for it.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
All that talk about "you dont have to wait with cloud gaming" and here we have it, queue times, wich is even worse than waiting to download a patch.

MMO players know the pain that is to be waiting a long time in a queue, some BS happens, you lose your spot and have to wait 1+ hours again
Not only that, I think after a patch Battlefield 2042 was not playable at all on GeforceNow for weeks. You would think that something like that would be fixed immediately, but somehow they are still very slow.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't think it's because demand is surging. I think it's because they're no longer prioritizing cloud gaming because of low adoption.

There's been near zero promotion, updates, quality improvements, latency improvements, QoL improvements, etc.. etc.. in like a year at this point.

The product is still in "beta" ffs and it's been out for like 3 years.

I really hope that Xbox xCloud project "Overdose" from Kojima Productions, gets a local release. Cloud gaming is still in it's infancy, especially the global infrastructure of wireline/mobile internet and data centers.

I really hope that Xbox xCloud project "Overdose" from Kojima Productions, gets a local release. Cloud gaming is still in it's infancy, especially the global infrastructure of wireline/mobile internet and data centers.

This might not use the console servers though, I could see this being built in a way that it can run on "normal" Azure servers, meaning they could scale it much better.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Considering the sheer number of datacenters they need for xCloud to work properly, this could be a problem in a few places and not at all elsewhere.

Cloud gaming is such a shit business proposal at this point lol

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They have to use xCloud servers. A "normal" Azure server is not going to run games.
I think he's thinking it'll be like Crackdown 3's "power of the cloud" usage.

But we know jack shit about Overdose at this point or what the usage of the cloud will be.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Still in beta, but glad to see the increase in usage. Maybe this will prompt MS to start taking cloud seriously and at least try to match GeForce Now.

StereoVsn

They have to use xCloud servers. A "normal" Azure server is not going to run games.
Normal Azure server with an Nvidia GPU can certainly run games. How well is a diff question as well as how many users it could host.

Mind you, this would be PC versions of games.

Last edited:

avin

Good lord. This must mean demand is increasing.

Do they post which games get played most over Xcloud, as opposed to elsewhere on Xbox? I'm wondering if it's the subset of games that don't really need low latency.

avin

Topher

Gold Member
Normal Azure server with an Nvidia GPU can certainly run games. How well is a diff questions as well as how many user it could host.

Mind you, this would be PC versions of games.

Fair point. I think about Azure with my apps and it just comes down to vcpus and memory allocation. You certainly can setup a full virtual machine with GPU and run it as a game server. But yes, in the context of Xbox, I believe you are only ever running off of Xbox hardware.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Because I travel a lot and want an option to play more types of games without carrying dedicated hardware.

I've used it in the past when I've traveled and it works fairly well depending on the game and the area. That's a bit far from the mainstream though.

DenSho

Neo Member
Suffering from success. Nothing buying one or two publishers can't fix.

But remember: cloud is not the future, although it totally is the future.

MarkMe2525

Yeah, for you.
I just don't understand how it could vary so wildly that I infrequently encounter a queue, and you state it's almost always faster to download a game VS stream through the cloud. Am I reading you wrong and you are trying to state that whenever you do encounter a queue, it can sometimes take awhile?

tommycronin

Banned
I just don't understand how it could vary so wildly that I infrequently encounter a queue, and you state it's almost always faster to download a game VS stream through the cloud. Am I reading you wrong and you are trying to state that whenever you do encounter a queue, it can sometimes take awhile?
I thought the exact same as you before. Then when I went to try out cloud version of a game for a gamepass quest it said it was going to take around 25-30 minutes. I have very good Internet and I could just download the game in 15-20 minutes if not less than that.

I can download 50 gigs in about 25 minutes which is my point for me that there's absolute zero reason for me to even be using cloud in the first place but the selling point about Cloud is cutting out the waiting time or the wait to download a game and to free up space on your console isn't working. There has been times where it's taken only about 30 seconds to play a game and then sometimes where its gone much higher. Also the day and time of day is a big factor too.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I've used it in the past when I've traveled and it works fairly well depending on the game and the area. That's a bit far from the mainstream though.
It works well for certain games, but the image quality isn't great. This is fine if you are on a phone or a tablet, but not great on a TV.

It does kind of feel like MS has dialed back what they were doing here. Nothing much has changed. Still on beta. Still the same resolutions and framerates. They are lagging behind Nvidia and I just want to see them go all in instead of muddle about with half measures.

Topher

Gold Member
It works well for certain games, but the image quality isn't great. This is fine if you are on a phone or a tablet, but not great on a TV.

It does kind of feel like MS has dialed back what they were doing here. Nothing much has changed. Still on beta. Still the same resolutions and framerates. They are lagging behind Nvidia and I just want to see them go all in instead of muddle about with half measures.

Yeah, typically I find some good turn based game for the phone. That's how I found out about Ocotopath Traveler.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Queue times are gonna be insane when the Call of Duty games hit game pass.

Better to download.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Do they post which games get played most over Xcloud, as opposed to elsewhere on Xbox? I'm wondering if it's the subset of games that don't really need low latency.
The 'most popular on cloud' section via GP PC is:
-GTAV(Xbox One)
-FH5
-FIFA 23
-Rainbox Six Siege
-GTAV(Xbox S|X)
-MLB The Show 23
-Sea of Thieves
-MK11
-Halo Infinite
-FS2020
-Farming Sim 22
-ARK: Ultimate

---

I just did 2 tests and it was 1m30s for GTAV, 1m20s for Halo MCC. West Coast, US. That is longer than it usually takes(10-20s).

Last edited:
Top Bottom