• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Cloud Gaming is seeing increased queue times as demand surges

pasterpl

Just tested Celeste, NFS unbound, dirt 5, Gears 5 and hivebusters. No queue in any of these. I am on 5g with three network in the uk, London. I am calling this fud.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Yeah, I use Xcloud to complete the Game Pass quests. My queues have been 3-5 min., so it's almost always faster to just download indie games at least.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Just tested Celeste, NFS unbound, dirt 5, Gears 5 and hivebusters. No queue in any of these. I am on 5g with three network in the uk, London. I am calling this fud.
Could be game/location related. I tried it out today and i had 5 min queue in Germany. And I have seen also 10 minutes queue in the evening several times.

Last edited:

Bojji

I've been all digital for over a decade and have seen nothing but ease of access, fast loading, and no headaches. Please feel free to explain how this has made me or anyone else like me a sucker. So I can't play my old games when I am dead?

It's your choice of course, if you are fine with it then what I can say?

1. One of the first things people were advocating about digital distribution were lower prices, they don't have to manufacture anything and move stuff to stores so games will be cheaper! Bullshit, digital games have higher prices and publishers just make more money on them.

2. You can't sell anything any in many stores refund policy is dogshit so you're stuck with your purchases.

3. You don't know when and why console manufactures will ban your account/console. They can do that for whatever reason (legit or not) and when you don't agree with them they will say you agreed to EULA so STFU. You lose everything in that scenario

4. They can remove stuff you already purchased (games losing licenses etc.)

5. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Valve will shut down their services at some point, you lose everything again.

Every major publisher have their own store and many things I mentioned have already happened in at least one of them (Ubisoft, ea, Activision etc.). Sony and Microsoft (plus Valve) are the biggest players and are way more trustworthy but nothing is guaranteed in the digital world...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I think queue times happen the days when game pass quests go live, cause lots of people are trying to get in at the same time to complete them.

No queue today for me but yesterday when I wanted to do the MCC quest over cloud, I got a 2 minute queue.

They'll need to sort it out if/when they intend for Call of Duty to go on cloud, cause that's gonna get way more traffic than anything they have right now.

Last edited:

Belthazar

So, let me see if I understand this correctly: the main competitor in the cloud gaming scene, which is also the company that owns the second biggest cloud infrastructure in the planet, can't handle a 10 years old release on the service without demanding hour-long waits for paying customers? That's insane.

And here I was thinking cloud gaming couldn't get LESS appealing.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's your choice of course, if you are fine with it then what I can say?

1. One of the first things people were advocating about digital distribution were lower prices, they don't have to manufacture anything and move stuff to stores so games will be cheaper! Bullshit, digital games have higher prices and publishers just make more money on them.

I agree with this, not cheaper. On sale at different times. I don't care if they make more or less money, as digital was way more convenient for me.

2. You can't sell anything any in many stores refund policy is dogshit so you're stuck with your purchases.

This is true, but mostly not an issue. I only buy games I am sure of or I wait u til they are cheap. Also the advent of ps premium and gamepass have made this point for me a lot less of an issue.

3. You don't know when and why console manufactures will ban your account/console. They can do that for whatever reason (legit or not) and when you don't agree with them they will say you agreed to EULA so STFU. You lose everything in that scenario

Extremely unlikely. I could also get hit by lightning tommorow but ill still go outside.
This is a non issue for 99.999999999999% of gamers.

4. They can remove stuff you already purchased (games losing licenses etc.)

Not very common. Dont care, game is 10+ years old.......

5. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Valve will shut down their services at some point, you lose everything again.

Every major publisher have their own store and many things I mentioned have already happened in at least one of them (Ubisoft, ea, Activision etc.). Sony and Microsoft (plus Valve) are the biggest players and are way more trustworthy but nothing is guaranteed in the digital world...

Sure they can shut them down well after I care, by that point I can easily emulate them.
Your console will break down too eventually.
Again a moot point for most gamers.
I'm not going to care that I can't play God of war ragnorok on my ps5 in 2040.

Last edited:

simpatico

Good to hear. I'm accepting that my current rig won't get me to the cloud gaming utopian future, but hopefully the next one I build will be the last.

Bojji

I agree with this, not cheaper. On sale at different times. I don't care if they make more or less money, as digital was way more convenient for me.

This is true, but mostly not an issue. I only buy games I am sure of or I wait u til they are cheap. Also the advent of ps premium and gamepass have made this point for me a lot less of an issue.

Extremely unlikely. I could also get hit by lightning tommorow but ill still go outside.
This is a non issue for 99.999999999999% of gamers.

Not very common. Dont care, game is 10+ years old.......

Sure they can shut them down well after I care, by that point I can easily emulate them.
Your console will break down too eventually.
Again a moot point for most gamers.
I'm not going to care that I can't play God of war ragnorok on my ps5 in 2040.

All those those things I mentioned are anti consumer, that's why I said consumers are the ultimate suckers in this "game". We all (I'm guilty too) abandoned physical media for convenience and in the end we all lose.

I know that at some point consoles will be digital only (like PC) and there won't be any choice, I'm not happy about this.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
All those those things I mentioned are anti consumer, that's why I said consumers are the ultimate suckers in this "game". We all (I'm guilty too) abandoned physical media for convenience and in the end we all lose.

I know that at some point consoles will be digital only (like PC) and there won't be any choice, I'm not happy about this.

There is one big advantage to an all digital world.......it's hard for them to lock us out, especially on pc.

I once was worried about this in terms of music, then I realized that spotify for 30 years was like 3k, and was happy. Far less than what I would have spent on cd's over that period and I get a ton more to pick from.

Iced Arcade

Lol imagine waiting in queue to play a game.
Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

DR3AM

Well Metal Hellsinger (Xbox one version)is one of the Quests this week and the Series X and S version opens instantly when you try to stream it but the Xbox One version takes about 10 minutes due to high demand.

Pretty sure the queue demand is due the the MS Rewards system.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nintendo says hi
Exactly. People assume that Sony works in a vacuum and that Nintendo is not a very successful console that constantly pushes Sony, or that there are no third-party game publishers out there that constantly competes with games that Sony produces.

Horizon Zero Dawn vs. Zelda BOTW and Horizon Forbidden West vs. Elden Ring are two very prominent examples of each of these two scenarios.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The next thing they will do will be to sell "Fast passes" like amusement parks to let you skip the line.
GeForce Now already does this with a very premium tier. xCloud will also likely get a similar tier soon or, as you said, in-app "boost" purchases to get ahead of the queue.

Otherwise, who is gonna wait through this?

10KN5j9.jpg

Especially in the future when these are digital cloud-only games with subscription being the only way to access these games.

Top Bottom