• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new XSX coming out and why the PS5 DE doesn't matter anymore

With how few Xbox Series X units are available for purchase, I can't help but wonder if Microsoft deemed it too expensive to sell the XSX in small quantities and decided to create a new sku with cost savings in mind ahead of Starfield's release.

I can't imagine that they still can't produce these units. The supply chain has improved for basically every product out there. Laptops used to have extremely long lead times and now you can get them pretty quickly, yet it's as hard if not harder to find an XSX unless you pay for it with a bundle. It seems clear that they're trying to protect their margins as best as possible. The XSX is even more difficult to find than the PS5 DE.

Speaking of which, I think Sony similarly realized that the PS5 Digital doesn't make a ton of sense either cost-wise. They barely sell the thing and they'll almost certainly discontinue it after this summer with the disk drive free PS5 standard that will certainly be a slim model. The difference is that won't be priced at $400 dollars, it'll be full-priced like the PS5 Standard. I think what they've seen is that people gravitate to digital downloads whether they have a disk drive included or not, so all they're doing is taking a 100-dollar loss (less drive cost, shipping weight, and distribution costs).

That you can buy both the XSX and the PS5 DE fairly easily direct through the manufacturers suggests that they at least have stock but aren't actively trying to widely distribute either still.

I think we can pretty easily assume PS5 DE is going to be discontinued with 95% certainty, the XSX however I think is going to be a bit more surprising. I wonder what the XSX mark 2 looks like in order for Microsoft to cut some costs like Sony has with reduced heatsinks.

Valkyria

Banned
rick james cocaine GIF

You forgot retailers aren't interested much in selling digital-only devices that completely cut them out of the equation.

That's a great point, but the reality is that they ARE selling them. If you look up on Best Buy, you can probably find the PS5 Digital available for pickup within a week and a bundle probably available even sooner. I think retail understands that they can still sell accessories with it, so it's worth buying still and they can still sell gift cards. The reality is people just aren't buying physical games as much regardless of whether they're buying digital or not.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Microsoft is producing XSX in sufficient quantities. They're just electing to sell them as bundles at the moment. Forcing sale with a title at $60 additional is a way to earn more on each sale without formally raising prices. It's the same strategy Sony used with bundling last year before they just made the price adjustment.

Sony is most likely going to consolidate to a single PS5 SKU which will save on overall production costs. If the rumors are true then every new PS5 will be digital soon.

Last edited:

Three

Maybe they are doing a revision and a starfield Ltd edition console.
I think this has to be it. Probably a revised version bundled with Starfield for say 400 dollars.

While what you're saying is possible the consoles aren't hard to find. You can find both of them easily

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sto...selectedColor=&icid=Cat-Xboxconsoles-CC2-XSX+

https://direct.playstation.com/en-gb/buy-consoles/playstation5-digital-edition-console

As you can see you can buy them directly from MS or Sony with ease. The reason why you don't find them at retailers is probably mostly due to manufacturer margin and retailer incentive.
I mention in the OP that they're being sold directly through the manufacturer. What you have to recognize is that's not the same as distribution through retail. Most people aren't going to Microsoft and Sony's websites. They're going to physical retail or they're going to amazon.com or bestbuy.com or target.com or walmart.com

Microsoft is producing XSX in sufficient quantities. They're just electing to sell them as bundles at the moment. Forcing sale with a title at $60 additional is a way to earn more on each sale without formally raising prices. It's the same strategy Sony used with bundling last year before they just made the price adjustment.

Sony is most likely going to consolidate to a single PS5 SKU which will save on overall production costs. If the rumors are true then every new PS5 will be digital soon.
Even with the bundles (Which I mentioned in the OP) they aren't extremely prevalent or at least they're not selling many units.

No the new ps5 model without a disc drive will not cost $499. Of course the PS5 DE is being discontinued, as is the standard PS5. That's the entire point of the new model.

How much will it cost then? You think Sony is looking to cut the price of the only PS5 sku despite the fact that they've entirely focused on selling the more expensive sku for the last 2.5 years?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Even with the bundles (Which I mentioned in the OP) they aren't extremely prevalent or at least they're not selling many units.
What is prevalent in the context here? Walking into stores and seeing full shelves? Or just being able to buy one online? Because it is not difficult to find one to purchase online. We know they are selling. As for how many they're selling, who knows for sure how many are selling considering they don't release numbers anyway? We know it's less than PS5 and Switch, and what they do send to retail seems to be moving. But we also know that Microsoft's focus isn't on selling more consoles than everyone else.

Three

I mention in the OP that they're being sold directly through the manufacturer. What you have to recognize is that's not the same as distribution through retail. Most people aren't going to Microsoft and Sony's websites. They're going to physical retail or they're going to amazon.com or bestbuy.com or target.com or walmart.com
You're obviously right that it's not the same but also highlights the possibility that this isn't because they have ramped down production. It's more likely to be that the margin is too low to share a percentage with the retailer and the retailer has no incentive to stock a loss leading product since it has no incentive for additional purchases outside of maybe controllers.

The XSX bundles are prevalent, they're just not selling that many at the moment because demand has gone badly.

Yup, and that’s how I saved $100 on a PS5.
About 99% of my games are digital. Completely disagree with "so all they're doing is taking a 100-dollar loss" though. I would never buy an all digital console. How many xbox 360 games got delisted recently? With the disc drive I'm preserving my ability to buy games that may not be available at some point (I know some of them won't work) , buy very cheap physical games in bargain bins, and the ability to borrow games from friends.

ReBurn

Gold Member
How much will it cost then? You think Sony is looking to cut the price of the only PS5 sku despite the fact that they've entirely focused on selling the more expensive sku for the last 2.5 years?
Sony's history proves that they make considerable effort to reduce manufacturing costs for their consoles and they do tend reduce prices with major revisions. It's not unreasonable to assume that moving to a single SKU would involve a price decrease.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I'm speculating but the new model would cost $399, same as the digital edition. Rumor is that is looks exactly like the Digital Edition too just with a hole on the side where the optional disc drive plugs in. Having only 1 ps5 model saves Sony alot in manufacturing costs and the more gamers buying digitally (and not reselling their games) makes Sony more money as well. My best guess at least from what I've read online.

Last edited:

Mowcno

The disk drive add-on will likely cost $49-$99. They're not going to charge you $499 for a PS5 without a disk drive. If they did it'd essentially be a large increase in the price.

They're planning on shipping 25 million PS5's over this next fiscal year. They're not going to do what amounts to a price increase.

The new model will be cheaper to produce than the current PS5 DE. It will retail for $399-$449. The price of getting both it and the disc drive won't be more than $499.

feynoob

Banned
About 99% of my games are digital. Completely disagree with "so all they're doing is taking a 100-dollar loss" though. I would never buy an all digital console. How many xbox 360 games got delisted recently? With the disc drive I'm preserving my ability to buy games that may not be available at some point (I know some of them won't work) , buy very cheap physical games in bargain bins, and the ability to borrow games from friends.
That is mainly because Sony doesn't allow 3rd party sites to sell digital keys. So you are stuck with PS digital store. Xbox and Nintendo users can buy their games outside of their digital store.

https://www.eneba.com/store/xbox-ga...MIvfaZuYrj_gIVlAXnCh22dwwHEAAYASAAEgJDivD_BwE
https://www.eneba.com/us/store/nintendo-games

Kusarigama

Maybe because MS is taking relatively bigger loss per XSX sold, they are manufacturing less units. The affordable XSS is always available in more quantity than XSX. Chip shortage can't be the issue anymore.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm speculating but the new model would cost $399, same as the digital edition. Rumor is that is looks exactly like the Digital Edition too just with a hole on the side where the optional disc drive plugs in. Having only 1 ps5 model saves Sony alot in manufacturing costs and the more gamers buying digitally (and not reselling their games) makes Sony more money as well. My best guess at least from what I've read online.
I doubt there will be a hole in the side when there are two 10 Gbps USB type A ports on the back of the unit that an external disc drive could plug into.

Tsaki

The DE might lose them money but they lock the costumer in the digital ecosystem. This costumer can not buy used games and doesn't have to pay a cut of every game to the retailer. Everything goes to Sony.
We know since June 2021 that PS5 Disk model was giving profits to Sony. They didn't specify the DE which meant that it was still loss leading. How much? If a BluRay drive costs ~$20-$30 to Sony it means that a $399 DE loses them at the very most $80 (it's less than that since they made profits at $499). Now that was almost 2 years ago. All the materials of the PS5 have gone down in cost, especially the SSD modules since we see massive drops in price for retail PCIe 4.0 drives. Also 7nm/6nm nodes were much more in demand two years ago. Now most big players have moved to 4nm/5nm and soon 3nm. So the price of the wafers will also be down. We can't forget that the yields have inevitably improved since then as well. Sony specifically mentioned in their financials last week that the cost of PS5 will further decrease this year, alluding to the revision.
So for a revision #3 for the new PS5 model I expect it to be sold at $399 and still be profitable (definitely not at $499 without a BluRay). Add to that a $99 disk add-on, that can be bundled at $499.
One of the problems with Series X revisions are the dual motherboards. They will have to consolidate both of them into one which is definitely tricky.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

How do you figure the PS5DE is being discontinued and irrelevant when soon EVERY PS5 sod will be a DE first and foremost out of the box and the disc drive will be an accessory.

And btw, I expect the new PS5 to cost between $299 to $349 and the disc drive add-on to cost $100.

What is prevalent in the context here? Walking into stores and seeing full shelves? Or just being able to buy one online? Because it is not difficult to find one to purchase online. We know they are selling. As for how many they're selling, who knows for sure how many are selling considering they don't release numbers anyway? We know it's less than PS5 and Switch, and what they do send to retail seems to be moving. But we also know that Microsoft's focus isn't on selling more consoles than everyone else.
We know that combined with XSS, XSX is still selling fewer units than PS5 and Switch. When you break it down to just XSX which we know isn't nearly as available as the XSS, we can make a pretty good assumption as to how well it is selling.

You're obviously right that it's not the same but also highlights the possibility that this isn't because they have ramped down production. It's more likely to be that the margin is too low to share a percentage with the retailer and the retailer has no incentive to stock a loss leading product since it has no incentive for additional purchases outside of maybe controllers.

The XSX bundles are prevalent, they're just not selling that many at the moment because demand has gone badly.

I think if production wasn't ramped down we'd see distribution. I think that's precisely what it means. But where you're right is I think the margin is so low that they are limiting production in general.

I think you're an outlier on not buying digital versions. I think we'll see that with the PS5 Slim, of course it'll have a disc drive attachment, but I doubt many people will buy the attachment.

ReBurn

Gold Member
We know that combined with XSS, XSX is still selling fewer units than PS5 and Switch. When you break it down to just XSX which we know isn't nearly as available as the XSS, we can make a pretty good assumption as to how well it is selling.
How much is each selling if we can make that assumption?

The disk drive add-on will likely cost $49-$99. They're not going to charge you $499 for a PS5 without a disk drive. If they did it'd essentially be a large increase in the price.

They're planning on shipping 25 million PS5's over this next fiscal year. They're not going to do what amounts to a price increase.

The new model will be cheaper to produce than the current PS5 DE. It will retail for $399-$449. The price of getting both it and the disc drive won't be more than $499.

I think we're going to see a price increase exactly as you've described it. I also think the disk drive add on will be $99. Basically a way for Sony to increase the price of the PS5 to 600 dollars without actively increasing the price.

Sony is selling PS5s extremely quickly, why do you think they want to reduce their margins?

Even with a cheaper PS5 to produce, they're going to want to use that to expand their margin. I'd like to revisit this conversation when they actually announce, which probably will be in the next month or two. Sony desperately wants to make more money than they're making right now. That is why we're seeing the bundles. They'll further their margins even more with a PS5 Slim Bundle.

Imagine right now you can get a PS5 digital bundled with a 70 dollar game but for 460.

Now imagine essentially the same device, minus production cost going for 500 dollars, now add the same game for an additional 60 dollars. That's 160 dollars better than selling it at a base unit price of 400, plus the unit costs less to make, so maybe you're making 180-200 dollars more on every unit you're selling.

Would that have really required a redesign? They could have just shuttered the PS5 SE and put together a firmware update to accept an external disc drive.

They're taking a loss on the PS5 DE and they don't want to do that anymore. I'm pretty confident it'll end up being more than $399, but we'll see.

Three

I think if production wasn't ramped down we'd see distribution. I think that's precisely what it means. But where you're right is I think the margin is so low that they are limiting production in general.
Even the PSVR2 didn't see retail distribution at launch, likely due to low margins on the device and PSVR2 games being digital only. The thing is that we are seeing distribution on XSX but bundles so that margins are higher. They are even producing Diablo 4 bundles.
I think you're an outlier on not buying digital versions. I think we'll see that with the PS5 Slim, of course it'll have a disc drive attachment, but I doubt many people will buy the attachment.
Probably. Still, I would prefer a disc drive console to have these options and not just to pay more.

How much is each selling if we can make that assumption?

We can assume that the XSS is selling at minimum 50%, but we all know that it is selling more than 50%. We also know that the Xbox Series is selling less than the PS5.

So if the PS5 is selling 25 million units this year, we can assume pretty accurately that the XSX is selling less than 12.5 million units.

Based on NPD and the US being Microsoft strongest market I think that's probably closer to 4-5 million for the XSX worldwide for the year.

How do you figure the PS5DE is being discontinued and irrelevant when soon EVERY PS5 sod will be a DE first and foremost out of the box and the disc drive will be an accessory.

And btw, I expect the new PS5 to cost between $299 to $349 and the disc drive add-on to cost $100.

While the new model will be digital, it isn't the model we're talking about. The ACTUAL PS5 digital the one that won't work with the disc attachment and that is currently the size that it is, is going to be discontinued. This is no different from when Sony discontinued the PS3 that played PS2 games.

Wow, I can't wait to revisit this thread when Sony announces. There is no way they're selling the new PS5 for 300 dollars... I'm willing to bet my account on that against yours. Not even 350.

Sony's history proves that they make considerable effort to reduce manufacturing costs for their consoles and they do tend reduce prices with major revisions. It's not unreasonable to assume that moving to a single SKU would involve a price decrease.
You're not wrong historically, but I think the precedent no longer holds true. I don't recall them increasing the price of consoles to adjust for currency in the past though I could be wrong about that.

I think they realize the PS5 is priced too low and they're leaving a lot of money on the table and this is a way to recover some of that money without actually increasing the price.

The PS5 Digital launched for the same price as a PS4 Pro...

I would be stunned if the new PS5 model isn't a slimmed-down unit. If they were going to keep it the same, they'd just put out a firmware update or add another port for an external drive. That can't be it.

Sony is due a slim unit.

The PS2 slim came out 4 years later.
The PS3 slim came out 3 years later, and the PS3 super slim came out 3 years after that.
The PS4 slim came out 3 years later as well.

Would be absolutely stunned if Sony waits LONGER to slim down their largest system ever, right as they announce a major revision that eschews both older models.

Mr.Phoenix

While the new model will be digital, it isn't the model we're talking about. The ACTUAL PS5 digital the one that won't work with the disc attachment and that is currently the size that it is, is going to be discontinued. This is no different from when Sony discontinued the PS3 that played PS2 games.

Wow, I can't wait to revisit this thread when Sony announces. There is no way they're selling the new PS5 for 300 dollars... I'm willing to bet my account on that against yours. Not even 350.
Well, by that logic, then I will agree that everything is being discontinued and there will be only one PS5 SKU. The one that allows you to add an optional disc drive.

I don't know how much you think a refreshed PS5 will still cost, especially considering that as far back as 2021 the disc SKU was already making a profit. Remember, the OG PS5 cost Sony $450 to make. That was in 2020. A $350 PS5 Slim is just $100 less. 3 years later.

I believe at that price they would probably be taking a loss of about $20 per-unit, but that is what the disc drive is for and why the would likely be selling that for $100. Every $100 disc drive addon sod could probably recoup losses for 3 consoles sold. That add-on would cost them around $30 to make, add a $10 retail mark-up, and it makes them $60 in profit.

Duchess

There is no way they're selling the new PS5 for 300 dollars... I'm willing to bet my account on that against yours. Not even 350.
PS5 DE can be had for £390 directly from Sony right now, so the new version dropping 10% isn't too much of a stretch, to be fair.

With how few Xbox Series X units are available for purchase, I can't help but wonder if Microsoft deemed it too expensive to sell the XSX in small quantities and decided to create a new sku with cost savings in mind ahead of Starfield's release.

I can't imagine that they still can't produce these units. The supply chain has improved for basically every product out there. Laptops used to have extremely long lead times and now you can get them pretty quickly, yet it's as hard if not harder to find an XSX unless you pay for it with a bundle. It seems clear that they're trying to protect their margins as best as possible. The XSX is even more difficult to find than the PS5 DE.

Speaking of which, I think Sony similarly realized that the PS5 Digital doesn't make a ton of sense either cost-wise. They barely sell the thing and they'll almost certainly discontinue it after this summer with the disk drive free PS5 standard that will certainly be a slim model. The difference is that won't be priced at $400 dollars, it'll be full-priced like the PS5 Standard. I think what they've seen is that people gravitate to digital downloads whether they have a disk drive included or not, so all they're doing is taking a 100-dollar loss (less drive cost, shipping weight, and distribution costs).

That you can buy both the XSX and the PS5 DE fairly easily direct through the manufacturers suggests that they at least have stock but aren't actively trying to widely distribute either still.

I think we can pretty easily assume PS5 DE is going to be discontinued with 95% certainty, the XSX however I think is going to be a bit more surprising. I wonder what the XSX mark 2 looks like in order for Microsoft to cut some costs like Sony has with reduced heatsinks.

No. To everything you said.

PS5 DE can be had for £390 directly from Sony right now, so the new version dropping 10% isn't too much of a stretch, to be fair.
Why do people think Sony is looking to drop prices?

Look at the price of some of Sony's launch games for PS5... Demon's Souls is back up to 70 dollars on the PlayStation store... They released a bit later but so are Rift Apart and GT7.

They recognized that a lot of people bought Miles Morales but didn't buy the deluxe edition so they finally put out Spider-Man remastered for 50 bucks ahead of Spider-Man 2.

With the exception of miles morales, legacy of thieves, and Sackboy, pretty much every major 1st party ps5 game is 70 dollars right now. Even Returnal is 70 right now.

baphomet

Jesus Christ. Do you think about things before your say them, or do you just ramble whatever shit comes to your head?

baphomet

You mean like this useless response?

I mean like this stupid thread, and every dumbass response you've posted in here.

No, the discless PS5 is not a slim.

Fucking of course it's not going to cost more than the digital version. Only an imbecile would even think that was a possibility.

Of course they're not going to be making the DE anymore, nor will they be making he disc version. It's literally the entire point of the new one.

I mean like this stupid thread, and every dumbass response you've posted in here.

No, the discless PS5 is not a slim.

Fucking of course it's not going to cost more than the digital version. Only an imbecile would even think that was a possibility.

Of course they're not going to be making the DE anymore, nor will they be making he disc version. It's literally the entire point of the new one.

Will you close your account when you're wrong about all of that? I'm saving the post. I guarantee the discless PS5 will be a slim and I'm willing to bet you on that. I'm also pretty confident that it will cost more than 400 dollars. Since you're certain, I'm sure you're willing to put up your account?

It was obvious to me, that's why I said it. That being said, otherwise didn't think that was the case.

Mr.Phoenix

Why do people think Sony is looking to drop prices?

Look at the price of some of Sony's launch games for PS5... Demon's Souls is back up to 70 dollars on the PlayStation store... They released a bit later but so are Rift Apart and GT7.

They recognized that a lot of people bought Miles Morales but didn't buy the deluxe edition so they finally put out Spider-Man remastered for 50 bucks ahead of Spider-Man 2.

With the exception of miles morales, legacy of thieves, and Sackboy, pretty much every major 1st party ps5 game is 70 dollars right now. Even Returnal is 70 right now.
Simple... because increasing market share is more important than making some change off console sales.

Selling software is what gaming platforms have always been about. If software prices are now $70, don't you think it's in sonys best interest to make it easy for you to start buying those games?

No way it cost Sony like $350-$380 to make a new PS5 SKU and they opt to sell that SKU at a profit instead of taking a small hit on each unit sold. Especially when they are adding a new and somewhat essential peripheral that is perfectly poised to offset that hit.

baphomet

Will you close your account when you're wrong about all of that? I'm saving the post. I guarantee the discless PS5 will be a slim and I'm willing to bet you on that. I'm also pretty confident that it will cost more than 400 dollars. Since you're certain, I'm sure you're willing to put up your account?

It was obvious to me, that's why I said it. That being said, otherwise didn't think that was the case.

By all means, save the post.

Feel free to delete your account any point from now until the discless version is announced at $399 with the same form factor as the current discless console. And likely a $69.99 disc drive add on.

Last edited:
By all means, save the post.

Feel free to delete your account any point from now until the discless version is announced at $399 with the same form factor as the current discless console. And likely a $69.99 disc drive add on.

If the unit is slim and more than 400 dollars you close your account.

If it is not slim and 400 dollars I close my account.

If it is the same form factor but more than 400 dollars or slim and more than 400 dollars it is a push and no one closes their account, but you should apologize for being a jackass.

Simple... because increasing market share is more important than making some change off console sales.

Selling software is what gaming platforms have always been about. If software prices are now $70, don't you think it's in sonys best interest to make it easy for you to start buying those games?

No way it cost Sony like $350-$380 to make a new PS5 SKU and they opt to sell that SKU at a profit instead of taking a small hit on each unit sold. Especially when they are adding a new and somewhat essential peripheral that is perfectly poised to offset that hit.

Why do you think they are bundling software with the PS5 then and not for free? Clearly, they are trying to push the margins up.

That peripheral isn't going to sell well and they're not splitting it to make it cheaper for the consumer. Exactly the same reason why they aren't according to rumors going to enable it for current PS5 digitals, despite being able to sell to more customers.

DaGwaphics

Would that have really required a redesign? They could have just shuttered the PS5 SE and put together a firmware update to accept an external disc drive.

They're taking a loss on the PS5 DE and they don't want to do that anymore. I'm pretty confident it'll end up being more than $399, but we'll see.

I think they do the redesigns to save money. The 6nm version already has leftover space in the current unit after they shrunk the heat sink. If they've moved to 5nm or something they could likely save even more space. A more compact console costs them less to to store and ship and so on.

Mr.Phoenix

Why do you think they are bundling software with the PS5 then and not for free? Clearly, they are trying to push the margins up.

That peripheral isn't going to sell well and they're not splitting it to make it cheaper for the consumer. Exactly the same reason why they aren't according to rumors going to enable it for current PS5 digitals, despite being able to sell to more customers.
You aren't looking at the big picture.

They can bundle software with PS5 because that software is more times than not... first-party software. And at the time, there's no reason to give it for free, because doing so is as good as actually doing a price drop. Now, that bunded software would be considered as a deal, and not as a price drop. And at the end of the day, it feeds into what I am saying... they take a hit on selling you the hardware to get you into their ecosystem and spending more money.

And they don't care if the peripheral doesn't sell a lot. They don't even want it to. Why? Because Sony makes significantly more money from people buying software digitally than they do from you buying a disc.d

The new PS5 SKU, is just that, a new SKU. But more importantly, a new CHEAPER SkU. The whole point of the redesigns is always to save money. If you look at the current PS5 now, from what was released in 2020, an argument can be made that they could even already make it smaller. The new SKU comes as a digital SKU, and you just add in the disk drive if you want to. And the reason it's not BC with the older digital SKU probably would speak more to the way it's connected than anything else. Its probably going to be more like a disc drive cartridge if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom