• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan is confident the PS5 can sell at least 108 million units

Mr.Phoenix

I think the PS5 will sell for 500 for much of its life cycle, which is a massive change in strategy from where Sony has been with the PS1-PS4.
Not a chance. By the end of this year I expect the most expensive PS5 on the market o be $399. You may have to buy a $100 disc drive for it, but technically, the cost of the PS5 would be $399 and that would be the only model available.
The PS1 dropped to as low as 49 dollars and the PS2 dropped to as low as 99 dollars.

99 dollars in 2009 would be the equivalent of 141 dollars today... So I think sony is more interested in selling at a profit than selling more units especially towards the later part of the life cycle.
There is no evidence to suggest that is what sony is more interested in. And further more, people keep paying this inflation card when comparing console prices today vs some gens ago... but conveniently forget that these consoles today have way more revenue sreams than say, the PS2.

Go_Ly_Dow

I think games like Hogwarts Legacy get a lot more people into gaming.

This gen needs a GTA that's not cross-gen to really get the herd to pile in sooner.

Last edited:
I think PS5 will sell slightly more than the PS4, so in the 125 to 130 million range. Sales through to the 40th quarter of 100 million selling console's.

RE9rrW9.png

Last edited:
Why do people keep on overlooking Moore's Law?

We have x86 CPUs magnitudes more powerful for as much if not less than we did decades ago. Sony's strategy has focused on die shrinks within each gen, which reduce costs.

It's not just a matter of cost, it's a matter of profitability.

StueyDuck

Well you can't call the man unambitious...

Well if one of these so called gaas games really does click with an audience somehow then it's not entirely farfetched. If you could only play fortnite on one platform that would push that platform pretty hard.

But then how do you get that IP to grow to fortnite levels with exclusivity. Will be interesting to see how they tackle it (yes I know they support pc too, but fortnite being literally everywhere even your phone allowed for it's exponential growth)

drganon

With the exception of the ps3, every console of their's has passed the 100 million mark, so it's not exactly a stretch to assume the ps5, which is selling pretty good, would do so as well.

PS5 will be between 130-140 million, only this year if they meet forecasts it would be 38.4 + 25 = 63.4 million by the end of the next fiscal year (Final Fantasy XVI, Spiderman 2 and PS5 Slim will help this) in the forums He gives a lot of importance to the mediocre showcase but 99% of the public is that they will not even know about it.

SeraphJan

120 ish million is definitely possible, the biggest obstacle for PS5 (or home console in general) is that it might not conform to the entertainment habit of modern users. In an age of mobile and tiktok, portability is very important to sell unit, people need to be able to play game with their discrete free time, especially for people who are busy with their work and education. Many people are willing to take 720p 30fps if it means portability.

Another challenge it might face was due to the rise of PC gaming, as I've seem many would prefer to only use PS5 as an exclusive machine while playing everything else on PC, meaning for those that are not interested in Sony exclusive, there might not be a reason for them to purchase at all.

It will be interesting to see how Sony will react to these challenges.

Last edited:

Edder1

That would be more than the PS2 which likely won't happen.
There are more people gaming today than ever and PS5 is already selling better than PS4 so I believe this will be their best selling console ever. The only thing that could maybe stop it imo is if they invest too much into live service and it doesn't work out. However, Sony also got way more third party exclusive deals this gen, which should make up for not having sole focus on their own exclusives. I think PS5 outsells PS2 and Switch 2 outsells it and does 180+ (Switch is on trajectory do to 140+).

Last edited:
There are more people gaming today than ever and PS5 is already selling better than PS4 so I believe this will be their best selling console ever.

Some people only game on their shitty smartphones. If there are more people gaming doesn't automatically mean that more people will buy a Playstation console. Especially not If you can play Playstation games on PC.

Last edited:

Edder1

Some people only game in their shitty smartphones. If there are more people gaming doesn't automatically mean that more people will buy a Playstation console. Especially not If you can play Playstation games on PC.
People are buying more Playstation than last gen, that's with the disc version costing $100 more than last gen, there being barely any current gen Sony exclusives and games coming to PC. This without doubt proves that there are more people gaming today, that even with all these factors it's selling better than it ever has. I think games coming to PC is a non factor though as that's a completely different user base.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Yep because he's after those who don't play video games alot who don't have brand loyalty, He wants to GaaS people up.

yurinka

Well, in the webcast some investor said that firm estimated that in addition to the units sold until the last fiscal year, they expect PS5 to sell more than 70M more (which would mean reach PS4 numbers).

He said that yes, that Sony estimates to say way beyond that since they are improving basically all PS4 metrics and didn't achieve it before due to the chips shortages, but this year PS5 will outsell the PS4 launch aligned and expects to be like that during the rest of its lifetime.

Meaning that Sony expect PS5 to outsell PS4 numbers after their complete lifetimes, without specifying which is the Sony estimation for final PS5 numbers.

yurinka

I think PS5 will sell slightly more than the PS4, so in the 125 to 130 million range. Sales through to the 40th quarter of 100 million selling console's.

RE9rrW9.png
Nah, PS5 will sell way beyond. It will outsell PS4 launch aligned this fiscal year, and will keep outselling both launch aligned until the end.

I think it will end closer to the 155M of the PS2 than PS4 and Switch. I think Switch 2 will be released the next fiscal year, causing a big drop in Switch 1 sales, which will be discontinued a year or so later having sold around 140M.

I think PS5, now free of shipment shortages and with the extra popularity that its IP will get with cinema/tv adaptations, mobile games and PC ports, has potential to go 150-160M or even a bit more.

Sony has been increasing the size of their studios to allow them work in more games at the same time, acquired more studios and made their biggest investment ever in securing 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives for PS5, according to Jimbo they plan to have more exclusives this gen that they ever did before. All this took time, meaning that the 2nd half of the PS5 generation will be really busy regarding exclusives.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
PS5 will easily sit between PS4 and PS2 lifetime sales.

Question is can it challenge PS2 numbers? It’s certainly possible if this gen goes for another 5 years, releases more 1st party hitters and most importantly will PS5 see a price discount, all of these things play a big role.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Bill gates swallowed his pride after campaigning for consoles, if Jim Ryan made a phone call to developers they could break records.

SeraphJan

Question is can it challenge PS2 numbers?
Unlikely, the pandemic/shortage really killed its momentum (the early 2 years of a console launch is crucial for its success) for achieving that number even if it was possible otherwise

Last edited:

midnightAI

Considering he knows every 1st part and 3rd party game in development and pre-production for the PS5's expected life cycle, I wouldn't say there's anything confusing about it after that showcase. He simply doesn't see the games in the pipeline that will move the number of units you guys are wishcrafting. Covid, work from home, anti-crunch, the new crop of less passionate and less talented developers, and 5 - 7 year devs cycles have created a perfect storm that will yield fewer games of lower quality.
Sure Jan.gif

Nah, PS5 will sell way beyond. It will outsell PS4 launch aligned this fiscal year, and will keep outselling both launch aligned until the end.

I think it will end closer to the 155M of the PS2 than PS4 and Switch. I think Switch 2 will be released the next fiscal year, causing a big drop in Switch 1 sales, which will be discontinued a year or so later having sold around 140M.

I think PS5, now free of shipment shortages and with the extra popularity that its IP will get with cinema/tv adaptations, mobile games and PC ports, has potential to go 150-160M or even a bit more.

Sony has been increasing the size of their studios to allow them work in more games at the same time, acquired more studios and made their biggest investment ever in securing 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives for PS5, according to Jimbo they plan to have more exclusives this gen that they ever did before. All this took time, meaning that the 2nd half of the PS5 generation will be really busy regarding exclusives.
I don't think any console will have the legs to beat PS2, other console's have outsold PS2's peak years but those PS2 legs were insane with very low year on year drops that will never be matched.

SeraphJan

I don't think any console will have the legs to beat PS2, other console's have outsold PS2's peak years but those PS2 legs were insane with very low year on year drops that will never be matched.
Yeah, the PS2 and PS3 launch gap was 6 years 8 month, I don't think any console could surpass PS2 with the same launch gap of its next console. Of course Switch could surpass PS2 if they withhold releasing Switch 2 to extend the gap to 8-10 years.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I think it beats that estimate. I would love to see what it would have done if some of the momentum wouldn't have been stopped in its track.

Coming off heavy hitters like GoW the hype for PS5 was through the roof. When it launched for every 1 person that had one there were probably 5 looking.

It probably could have sold 20 million during the first 2 weeks if stock was available.

Proceed with the lols but it's true.

I'm actually not so sure about that. Many of the PS5's major catalysts have already happened, and the biggest advantage they could have taken over their competition has already happened and not as much as they could have done. This won't be another Xbox One generation.

Then you have to include the next Nintendo handheld as well. Who know, they may have a console exclusive version this time along with the hybrid. Either way that device is going to take away a lot of sales, especially in Japan.

I think once the pro comes out, the base model will drop to around 299-349. Sony seems to like that price point for that second half of the life cycle.

Why do people keep on overlooking Moore's Law?

We have x86 CPUs magnitudes more powerful for as much if not less than we did decades ago. Sony's strategy has focused on die shrinks within each gen, which reduce costs.

Not a chance. By the end of this year I expect the most expensive PS5 on the market o be $399. You may have to buy a $100 disc drive for it, but technically, the cost of the PS5 would be $399 and that would be the only model available.

There is no evidence to suggest that is what sony is more interested in. And further more, people keep paying this inflation card when comparing console prices today vs some gens ago... but conveniently forget that these consoles today have way more revenue sreams than say, the PS2.

I get why people think this, and I could certainly be wrong. I think Sony is looking to become significantly more profitable and part of that is selling hardware at a profit.

Sony sold the PS4 Pro for 400 dollars and the PS5 Digital for 400 dollars. They discontinued the PS4 Pro, they didn't just drop the price to 350 or 300. Yet here they are, still selling the PS4 Standard for 299.

The PS4 launched for 400 and NEVER dropped below 300, even after the PS5 launched, particularly the PS5 digital. The PS4 has been 300 dollars for the last SEVEN years.

PS3 dropped to as low as 269.

The strategy IS changing here. The PS5 is going to be around for a LONG time and I don't think Sony wants to keep selling it at 400 dollars. If they did, they would have produced more PS5 Digitals this whole time, but instead the sku has leaned significantly more to the physical unit. This is despite the Digital locking them into digital sales, which will largely be the case going forward with the PS5 Slim despite the attachment.

This is an opportunity for Sony to re-price the PS5 DE *AND* sell the attachment for probably 50-100 dollars.

Sony is taking a lot of their pricing strategy from Nintendo. We see it with software and we're now starting to see it with hardware. We'll find out soon enough, but I don't think a 400-dollar price point pushes PS5s marginally faster than what exists today nor do I think that Sony wants to eschew billions of dollars over the course of the PS5s lifetime when they don't have to.

CGNoire

So 3 generations in a row with minimal growth in the console space.

Shits dismal and it seems like mobile may have permenantly hobbled console gaming. Wouldnt be suprised if Sony/MS drops consoles by PS6 or PS7. :(

Top Bottom