• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Every Speed Limit Too Low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people were actually good drivers, you wouldn't have maniacs trying to go 30 over weaving through traffic, and you wouldn't have people doing 5 under sitting in the passing lane. Everyone on the Jersey Turnpike ignores the "left lane for passing only" signs that are spaced every few miles, and it makes that stretch a PITA.

Let's re-evaluate speed limits when we've replaced everyone with driverless cars.

The majority of that is only on the far south end of the NJTP which is mainly driven by Pennsy drivers who hog the left lane, going about 5MPH under the speed limit.

The rest of the TP is 4+ lanes, it's only from 6 to 1 it's a 2 lane highway which clogs things.

I should add to my above post internally within the Highways Agency in the UK there is a great deal of uncertainty over what to do with driverless cars and cars with computer safety measures because of political involvement and public perception.

In theory if all cars are made driverless and computer controlled, then the car can maintain whatever speed we determine is safe, and given the reaction time IN THEORY they could mean speed limits as we know them are a thing of the past and that speed limits across the board could raise for such vehicles. The problem with his is that it is completely at odds with the aforementioned campaigning and political drive that speed kills!

can you imagine if in 10 years time motorways could have a limit of 100mph, urban areas 50mph as the driverless cars could stop almost instantly, with cars following doing the same safely? its hard to imagine it with how that message has been drummed into us

Oh my god no.

Also this is the LEGAL limit. Professionals set these limits for matters of safety, and you will be pulled over for going over the limit and charged a 100+ dollar fine for Breaking the Law.

I'll just point out that, whilst we professionals are meant to set the speed limit based of off existing evidence, Political pressure can and does play a huge part in this - If an MP/Councillor etc (on the US's case I'm sure, Senator/Congressman etc) demands that a lower speed limit be introduced and they have enough political weight and/or public following then you will find your management tells you to do as you are told for the easy life, its happened to me before and I've put a speed limit change in that's not appropriate and its exceptionally frustrating as it practically encourages motorists to break it.

I really feel there should be some legal separation to prevent politicians from doing this, its incredibly frustrating when someone's perception and belief trumps empirical data and evidence

Everyday i commute 25 miles to work and then another 25 back on nothing but highway. The amount of people who like to go "speed limit or lower" on the left lane is mind numbing. AS if they don't check their mirror and see vehicles approaching at a Higher Speed than them.

I believe more info should be tested at a state level when people take their permit and driving test.

something simple like "ATTENTION: When driving on the interstate or any Highway, please remember the following; Stay in the right lane unless passing. Subject to fine. " idk

"Because everyone else is doing it" is not an excuse. Try to remember there's a safety reason for speed limits.
I'm expecting a baby soon. I can't tolerate people who don't have self control for safety or common sense. Get your shit together folks.

That's the thing, though, there isn't. Not in any quantifiable way, anyway. They're set by municipalities who think they're making the roads safer (or are bowing to constituents who have even less understanding of what makes a road safe) while the engineers who designed the road pull their hair out telling them it's more dangerous at the lower limit.

Would it be nice if everyone safely drove at the speed limit? Sure, but guess what it's not the case, and if you make the speed limit lower you only increase the disparity between your slowest and fastest drivers, which makes the road more dangerous.

Anyway, hell of a strong opinion you have there for what appears to be no research.

What are the speedlimits in the US? For instance on a high way?

600px-US_Speed_Limits_May_2015.svg.png

shandy706

One negative is fuel usage. New Cars have become much better in that area though.

I once hit 176mph on Hwy 85 on the east cost of the US, 😂😨. (Speed limit was 70..I was slightly over.) Thankfully the highway was basically empty when I did it.

My Corvette's fuel usage was showing me getting 8mpg at that speed, haha.

I was 22 when I did that. At 34 I'm happy with 75-80...and not dying in a fire filled explosion.

People that drive fast in family filled neighborhoods anger me.

Meowster

They are here in Missouri but I still always drive at the speed limit to avoid getting a ticket. The cops can be dicks sometimes and I would rather avoid that as much as I can.

FyreWulff

What are the speedlimits in the US? For instance on a high way?

75 mph in my state (nebraska), and everyone is generally going 80.

if that's too slow for you, the problem isn't the speed limit.

They are here in Missouri but I still always drive at the speed limit to avoid getting a ticket. The cops can be dicks sometimes and I would rather avoid that as much as I can.

Missouri has intentional bullshit speed limits in their state to catch border state drivers for easy tickets. There's a spot near the Nebraska/Iowa/Missouri corner border where the speed limit goes 50 -> 25 for 3 blocks -> 50, no stop sign or anything, and if you don't see it coming you'll be joining the other five Nebraska plated cars getting their ticket down the road.

bachikarn

Fuck off should they. I'm already having to assume the maniac indicating isn't actually going where they say and instead will carve through me if I move. There's too many shit drivers out there to be trusted with higher speed limits.

Just look at this thread with people condoning pushing people off the road and bullying them out of your way. Something about cars makes people feel like superman. If you wouldn't go shove some guy on his ass in the street for walking, why does bullying people off the road make any logical sense?

I think it is debatable whether those people actually use the speed limit to determine how fast they go. I've seen people like you are taking about stay the same speed when the speed limit drops.

Fuck off should they. I'm already having to assume the maniac indicating isn't actually going where they say and instead will carve through me if I move. There's too many shit drivers out there to be trusted with higher speed limits.

Just look at this thread with people condoning pushing people off the road and bullying them out of your way. Something about cars makes people feel like superman. If you wouldn't go shove some guy on his ass in the street for walking, why does bullying people off the road make any logical sense?

I've seen people say that it's the fault of someone going slowly if someone else gets pissed of because of it and start behaving irrationally.

You are responsible for your own actions. Don't defuse blame or victim blame

Z3K

I hate the speed limits on Dual Carriageways in London, they are set at 40mph which is way too low and most people do the whole speed up/slow down between the speed cameras which makes it even more dangerous.

One negative is fuel usage, haha. New Cars have become much better in that area though.

Can't overcome the law of physics. Power is cubic to speed. Double the speed you need octuple the power. You octuple the power you then need octuple the fuel but you're only getting there in half the time so you're using quadruple the fuel. The only reason we can do 60 efficiently is because ICEs still make a fairly decent fraction of peak power at idle.

The problem is speed limits are used as revenue sources for the states, its not actually about road safety in most places.

Bingo. While it's arguable whether it's after or not, the fact of the matter is that it's a key income force for most countries. There is no incentive for them to increase the limit, regardless of whether it makes sense (particularly highways/motorways).

My question is, how thorough driving tests are in Germany compared to the rest of the world? Because as while I completely agree that people should drive with what they're comfortable with on Motorways, there are some people in dire need of needing re-examed.

Something to keep in mind is that, excluding extreme distances on motorways, speeding doesn't save much time, if at all.

akileese

Yeah how outdated is this? There are good portions of 35E/35W/114 that are 60-65 in Texas. 635 and 121 too. 635 has a short 5-10 mile stretch of 70 and I think the tollways are 70, but everything else is not. Also, I grew up in CT and remember the majority of the southern half of the state speed limits being 55.

With the amount of drivers texting on the road, the speed limits are right where they should be.

Just start handing out zero tolerance license suspensions for texting while driving. No compromises and no lowering the term for first time offenders. People will stop texting while driving really quick when they lose their license for three months.

Fuchsdh

Bingo. While it's arguable whether it's after or not, the fact of the matter is that it's a key income force for most countries. There is no incentive for them to increase the limit, regardless of whether it makes sense (particularly highways/motorways).

My question is, how thorough driving tests are in Germany compared to the rest of the world? Because as while I completely agree that people should drive with what they're comfortable with on Motorways, there are some people in dire need of needing re-examed.

Something to keep in mind is that, excluding extreme distances on motorways, speeding doesn't save much time, if at all.

Yeah this is where the attitude of drivers seems to be missing the forest for the trees. You're burning more money on fuel and even if I can get 5-10 miles over the traffic around me it only takes one or two stops on my trip for the bathroom, food, or fuel to negate the accrued speed advantages. This isn't really an argument against boosting speed limits or changing how they work, but speeding for speeding's sake doesn't have a great return.

E92 M3

Going with the traffic flow is more important than the speed limit. If you drive 55 on i95, you're getting run off the road. Also, nothing is worse than someone driving under the limit one-way road without lanes.

Iorv3th

I think there should be different speed limits for different lanes. Right lane should be the normal speed limit. It should go up 10mph each lane to the left of that or something.

"Because everyone else is doing it" is not an excuse. Try to remember there's a safety reason for speed limits.
I'm expecting a baby soon. I can't tolerate people who don't have self control for safety or common sense. Get your shit together folks.

Going the speed limit does not make you a safe driver.

It's not unsafe to go over the speed limit if you are aware of your surroundings and are able to handle your vehicle.

Stay in the right lane if you want to go slow. Don't get in the left lane and drive alongside another vehicle going the same speed limit.

I hate the speed limits on Dual Carriageways in London, they are set at 40mph which is way too low and most people do the whole speed up/slow down between the speed cameras which makes it even more dangerous.

North circular is average speed now FYI and so are a few others (so don't do that camera to camera dash anymore - or you'll get flashed (in theory anyway))

bigJP

speed limits are too slow.

100km/h on highways should be 120km/h
50km/h on service roads is ridiculous sometimes. make it 70 at least

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Most speed limits in North America are too low, yes.

I'm not driving under 100kmh just because some sign says to, I'm going to drive with traffic.

Also, NA should stop putting Stop signs in completely inappropriate and unnecessary places, and learn how to use roundabouts. It would make driving around here slightly more tolerable.

Fuck the speed limits, there needs to be a more involved and stringent road test in the U.S. Too many people out there driving that should have no reason to be behind a wheel of a several ton death machine. They are oblivious and distracted, as well as being ill informed of what to do in case of emergency. Make it harder to get a license and most of the issues we have on the road now will slowly erode away. Driving is not a right, yet somehow in the U.S. people think it is.

TSM

I dread the beginning of the autonomous car future when these cars are growing in number while I'm still driving my used car. I guarantee the cars will be programmed to drive the exact speed limit and every road will be my own private purgatory. Dual carriage ways are already intolerable when the "carrying school children" fleet is out in force and they are obstructing the passing lane. Please raise the speed limits to something more reasonable before that happens.

Are most crashes even due to going too fast? I always thought it was more reckless driving by riding someone's tail, texting, not paying attention, etc.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Fuck the speed limits, there needs to be a more involved and stringent road test in the U.S. Too many people out there driving that should have no reason to be behind a wheel of a several ton death machine.

This as well.

I understand that driving in North America is essentially a necessity, if you want to get anywhere you will probably need a car. But seriously.

Some of the idiots I encounter on an almost daily basis have no skill or confidence whatsoever. No spatial awareness, no focus, no etiquette, nothing. They are just another hazard that I now have to deal with.

Sometimes it seems like licenses are just being given out to anyone who asks. In Canada you don't even have to prove you can drive in winter conditions, something which affects us for a good chunk of the year. Yet in Finland, taking lessons at night and in slippery conditions is a requirement.

Driving is a privilege and you should have to prove that you are a capable driver.

TSM

Are most crashes even due to going too fast? I always thought it was more reckless driving by riding someone's tail, texting, not paying attention, etc.

They are most often caused by large differentials in the speeds of vehicles. As the article explains, those driving at a speed limit which is often far below the 85th percentile speed of the others on the road are actually a major safety hazard. Basically if you aren't going with the flow of traffic you are making the roads less safe for everyone, including yourself, to drive on.

Steejee

Yeah this is where the attitude of drivers seems to be missing the forest for the trees. You're burning more money on fuel and even if I can get 5-10 miles over the traffic around me it only takes one or two stops on my trip for the bathroom, food, or fuel to negate the accrued speed advantages. This isn't really an argument against boosting speed limits or changing how they work, but speeding for speeding's sake doesn't have a great return.

Agreed on this - diminishing returns on faster speeds, meanwhile MPGs go down after 50-60MPH (depending on car), so a lot of extra fuel is being burned for those slightly faster speeds.

National fuel consumption is a huge reason not to just keep upping speed limits. On the safety side, speed differences are more of a cause of crashes than the actual speeds, but the faster you go the more likely a car accident will be fatal and the less time you have to react to events on the road (like rubble, sudden braking, etc).

Arkeband

Banned
In the US we always drive 5 MPH or 10% over the speed limit (whichever is higher) anyway and cops don't bother us.

I do wonder if raising them won't just make us drive 5 MPH or 10% higher than those new limits, just because no one tells us what to do.

The point is the statistics show its actually safer to raise speed limits to about 75 to keep the flow of traffic closer to the same speed for all vehicles on the road.

Safer because people can't drive safer? Seems like some circular reasoning there.

bosseye

National Speed-Limit is a funny thing in Britain. Have fun going 60 down here...

national-speed-limit-applies-signs-in-country-lane-picture-id95914654

Eh, I did a speed awareness course recently (yay!) and they reminded us that the national speed limit isn't a target, essentially you need to choose the speed appropriate to the road you're travelling on. So for that road, no one in their right mind would do 60.

They also had some interesting stats on the increase to stopping distances as a consequence of a few extra mph. So me getting done for doing 35mph in a 30 feels a bit unfair but then you realise just how much further down the road you actually stop doing the higher speed. It's the difference between stopping in time and running someone over.

So overall I'd say speed limits in the UK are fine, and though 20mph feels incredibly slow it is appropriate for the heavily built up/populated areas where it is generally applied.

Raising speed limits would just mean drivers going faster than that. We already assume an extra 5-7mph on the current limit is no issue, raise the limit and you'll end up with some drivers doing completely unacceptable speeds.

They should make getting a driver's license as stringent as getting a private pilots license but half of the total cost. And do the same reviews pilots have to go through to maintain their license status and certifications.

Also minimum should be set to 85 on all surfaces covered by traffic laws.

Zoe

Yeah how outdated is this? There are good portions of 35E/35W/114 that are 60-65 in Texas. 635 and 121 too. 635 has a short 5-10 mile stretch of 70 and I think the tollways are 70, but everything else is not. Also, I grew up in CT and remember the majority of the southern half of the state speed limits being 55.

They're obviously taking the max for each county.

TSM

Agreed on this - diminishing returns on faster speeds, meanwhile MPGs go down after 50-60MPH (depending on car), so a lot of extra fuel is being burned for those slightly faster speeds.

National fuel consumption is a huge reason not to just keep upping speed limits. On the safety side, speed differences are more of a cause of crashes than the actual speeds, but the faster you go the more likely a car accident will be fatal and the less time you have to react to events on the road (like rubble, sudden braking, etc).

People are not going to obey unreasonably slow speed limits. They should be set to the safest possible number, which as the article explains is the 85th percentile of the drivers on the road. Road safety is far more important than fuel economy in the short term.

They also had some interesting stats on the increase to stopping distances as a consequence of a few extra mph. So me getting done for doing 35mph in a 30 feels a bit unfair but then you realise just how much further down the road you actually stop doing the higher speed. It's the difference between stopping in time and running someone over.

I get the sense most "speed limits are too low" people don't realize just how much five extra miles impacts your breaking distance.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Just start handing out zero tolerance license suspensions for texting while driving. No compromises and no lowering the term for first time offenders. People will stop texting while driving really quick when they lose their license for three months.

Can't be that outdated since the new Austin bypass that few people even use is shown

Pagusas

Elden Member
Depends on the highway. I've seen 55mph to 65mph. I'm almost positive I've seen a 70mph but never higher.

Many of our high ways in Dallas are 75mph :). 121 and Dallas North Toll way.

good luck ever reaching that speed during rush hour though...

I'm on 121, DNT and Geoge Bush everyday, the post limit is 75. (at least in Frisco, Carrolton, Plano and Las Calinas) Spend about $300 a month in tolls :(

Nafai1123

Banned
The biggest danger, objectively, on the highway (ignoring DUI's, texting, etc) is people who speed voraciously (20 mph+ over). That's not to downplay people going slow in the left lane, they absolutely should be to the right, but their slower speed makes any accidents they do have less deadly.

This is such bullshit. Accidents are caused by change in velocity. Some slow ass idiot in the fast lane, slowing down all traffic behind him and preventing anyone from passing, thus creating large groups of traffic where there should be none, are the most dangerous drivers on the road.

Proof: See Germany, where speed limits are not necessary because people know how the fuck to get out of the way.

FyreWulff

Yep. Past about 50 mph, about each 5mph of speed costs you more and more. The amount of extra speed proportionate to your previous speed gets smaller and smaller for more and more gas.

The only time it's worth it to really push it to the speed limit is over looong distances, where there's actual hours or half hours to be saved. Most people speeding inside the city are at most saving maybe seconds, which can all be washed away if you catch a red light once you get off the highway. Not worth it.

It's why self driving cars could theoretically get you to work sooner while driving slower. Because they'd be able to maintain that speed constantly because self driving cars would never get into traffic jams on the highway.

Costa Kid

A german sedan can easily handle 180 on a motorway. But I think they should be 140/150. 120 is a little slow, especially if the motorway is safe, smooth and empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom