• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Mia Winters from RE7/RE8 the best written character in video game history?

Obvious SPOILERS in thread

Anyways, so Mia Winters, behind her husband Ethan’s back, is working with a terrorist organization. She tells her husband that she is going to travel for her babysitting job. In reality, she’s smuggling a bioweapon. She fails at her job spectacularly, gets everyone killed, infects herself, and then gets an innocent family involved in her mess and has them infected as well. She unknowingly pulls Ethan into her mess. Luckily for her, she’s cured and somehow has a baby with Ethan.

But rather than coming clean, she aims to keep everything a secret from Ethan.

Seriously, Ethan is like a narcissistic partner’s wet dream. He might be kind of curious and attempt to ask questions, but if it’s met with any resistance, he just goes “okay” and rolls with the punches.

Anyways, I found Mia Winters’ character arc to be riveting.

So, does anyone else think she’s the best written video game character of all time?

Obvious SPOILERS in thread

Anyways, so Mia Winters, behind her husband Ethan’s back, is working with a terrorist organization. She tells her husband that she is going to travel for her babysitting job. In reality, she’s smuggling a bioweapon. She fails at her job spectacularly, gets everyone killed, infects herself, and then gets an innocent family involved in her mess and has them infected as well. She unknowingly pulls Ethan into her mess. Luckily for her, she’s cured and somehow has a baby with Ethan.

But rather than coming clean, she aims to keep everything a secret from Ethan.

Seriously, Ethan is like a narcissistic partner’s wet dream. He might be kind of curious and attempt to ask questions, but if it’s met with any resistance, he just goes “okay” and rolls with the punches.

Anyways, I found Mia Winters’ character arc to be riveting.

So, does anyone else think she’s the best written video game character of all time?
You’ve sold me

Mr Branding

What Is Happening Arthur Morgan GIF

ShadowNate

I mean she's flawed which makes her somewhat of an interesting character The best? Not even close.

Ethan no personality Winters though. Ugh, I get it, sort of, I guess. Still, a forgettable protagonist.

Handel

Are RE7/8 the only games with a story you've experienced? That's the only way I could see someone thinking this. Resident Evil as a franchise has some iconic characters, but not many I'd consider particularly well written. Even within RE franchise, Ada is better written for sure.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I can't tell if OP is serious.

And Mia confuses me, too. She's sympathetic given what she goes through in VII. She's a villain but Capcom doesn't lean into that angle. They could've made her an anti-hero, but she's presented as a milquetoast protagonist's wife who happens to be shady. And personality-wise? I could describe Leon/Ada/Wesker's, etc. personalities and predict how they'd react to things, but Mia doesn't have a personality. She's mom-y? She's government agent-y? Not really. Such a weird character.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I liked Mia and I enjoyed rescuing her. Her battle with the Bakers was intense. Zoe did help and she definitely made it so Ethan could “escape”. Mia was so helpless, but she was smart enough to reach out. If you’re talking about the DLC where Mia and Evelyn are rescued from the crash. Mia didn’t really do much. Mia is likable. She’s also a victim of the mold. If you fast forward to Village. Where was Mia all this time? When was she actually swapped out. Miranda had it out for Mia at some point. If you look at what happens at the beginning of Village, they made it sound like Mia was never herself. If you finish VII you realize you saved Mia (or Zoe). A part of me feels like they gave up on Mia in order to tell the story through Zoe.

One part of RE 7 that always got me to me was the flashback or hallucination sequence where Jack is sitting with his family and he turns to Ethan and says “save my family”. It was like the last bit of hope Jack had for his family making it.

I thought the whole setup with Ethan and Mia was perfect. It made the Winters’ story interesting.

Arthur Morgan is the best written character in videogame history.
If it wasn’t for Dutch trying to control everything, Arthur could have lived a better life. Worst thing to happen to Arthur was him getting sick.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Didn't Mia even knew that Ethan was a Mold since RE7 and still got his baby?
Am mean she literally did it with a Monster/Mold knowingly and got a BABY!!!??

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
What in the actual fuck is this thread and I bet everyone here crouched down and followed her in RE7's opening after rescuing her and put their First person faces up her backwards bearing mold monster in them DURTY ass jeans what she probably been wearing and doing NATURAL HUMAN THINGS IN ever since redneck Titanic in the bayou I bet you ALL did and liked it

Edit: This Troper isn't ashamed.

Last edited:
Is it a bait thread or is RE7 the first piece of media you've ever experienced?
My OP was either criticizing the writing or sarcastically praising it idk how literally no one got that I was joking. I wanted to talk about how awful of a character Mia is and how she gets away with everything lol

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

My OP was either criticizing the writing or sarcastically praising it idk how literally no one got that I was joking. I wanted to talk about how awful of a character Mia is and how she gets away with everything lol
Yeah that's a weird thing about the new resi games,they go for a more serious tone while arguably having an even more ridiculous plot,somehow the mold also giving the bakers much thicker southern accents than they had before sticks out to me.

Lunarorbit

Ah... She's annoying as fuck. I didn't hesitate to choose "shoot her" at the end of the game.

Zero emotional connection to her or Ethan.

MiguelItUp

I actually never thought about that at all during the games. Honestly, both of the Winters are some of the most bland and boring characters IMO. I'd admit that I think Mia is more interesting than Ethan, but not by a landslide, lol.

Top Bottom