• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is Parasite Eve 2 playable on PC ?

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
CtMICim.jpg

is it ? if yes then kindly can you just show me the way ?

much love to you all

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Duckstation is the way to go these days. People hold on to ancient stuff like ePSXe because it's decent and it's been around forever, but you're better off with something modern like DuckStation or Mednafen or one of the derivative cores in Retroarch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Duckstation is the way to go these days. People hold on to ancient stuff like ePSXe because it's decent and it's been around forever, but you're better off with something modern like DuckStation or Mednafen or one of the derivative cores in Retroarch.

I've grown up on EPSXE so it's a nostalgia thing, and the method to add custom plugins and filters is kinda easy on it for me.

To OP, yes most modern emulators should run PE2 just fine. I remember it used to have a lot of issues on EPSXE before but thankfully most of them have been ironed out by now.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If you're playing the game in Retroarch, be sure to check out Retroachievements

Game has a fun set of achievements with only the occasional bullshit one like "beat this boss without taking damage".

SF Kosmo

I've grown up on EPSXE so it's a nostalgia thing, and the method to add custom plugins and filters is kinda easy on it for me.
The fact that you still have to use and configure a million plugins and tweak settings per game is kind of why it sucks now, like Duckstation has basically 100% compatibility, and a ton of enhancement features all built in. Much easier and better.

And for filters, shaders, CRT support, and all the advanced video out options, nothing beats RetroArch.

I just recently undertook a project to modernize my emulator and ROM collection on my computer and get everything working under Launchbox with images and metadata and full 1G1R sets, and the best emus/cores and man there is just no looking back.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The fact that you still have to use and configure a million plugins and tweak settings per game is kind of why it sucks now, like Duckstation has basically 100% compatibility, and a ton of enhancement features all built in. Much easier and better.

And for filters, shaders, CRT support, and all the advanced video out options, nothing beats RetroArch.

I just recently undertook a project to modernize my emulator and ROM collection on my computer and get everything working under Launchbox with images and metadata and full 1G1R sets, and the best emus/cores and man there is just no looking back.

I tried to set it up but for some reason I just couldn't get it working on my 1060 based PC, probably doing something wrong but eh ..

Hell, I still feel nostalgic for the days of Bleem :D

SF Kosmo

I tried to set it up but for some reason I just couldn't get it working on my 1060 based PC, probably doing something wrong but eh ..
Retroarch isn't a very good experience used by itself, the UI is just cluttered and overwhelming. BUT, download Launchbox, which will download and configure RetroArch automatically, and organize all your ROMs, and then talk to me.

Hell, I still feel nostalgic for the days of Bleem :D
Fuck no, man, bleem never worked. At all really. I don't know how they charged money for that. I remember I got a review copy and it came with an official printed compatibility list. It had one game listed as "Fully playable."

Virtual Game Station was out before bleem and had like 78% compatibility, I don't know why anyone would ever use bleem at any point.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Anyone else remember when Dreamcast was rumoured to have this lol. Bleemcast
It sort of came out.

Also an explanation of why you're better off emulating ancient stuff @ native settings, not high res.

Although I'm sure it looked a bit better on a Dreamcast connected to a nice CRT instead of these raw images, it's not exactly pushing 4K clarity or something, just about doubles the resolution. I'm impressed by the accuracy they got beyond the improvements, glitching visuals seem intact @ 36:27.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Anyone else remember when Dreamcast was rumoured to have this lol. Bleemcast
Hey, the video mentions that too! Aparently you had to buy a different version of Bleemcast depending on the game you wanted to play. Like for example you had one Bleemcast to play MGS, another Bleemcast to play Tekken 3... No wonder it didn't take off like the PC counterpart did. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

SF Kosmo

It sort of came out.

Also an explanation of why you're better off emulating ancient stuff @ native settings, not high res.

Although I'm sure it looked a bit better on a Dreamcast connected to a nice CRT instead of these raw images, it's not exactly pushing 4K clarity or something, just about doubles the resolution. I'm impressed by the accuracy they got beyond the improvements, glitching visuals seem intact @ 36:27.

While I would definitely agree with this for PE2, which blends 2D backgrounds and 3D characters, this is less true than it used to be. Some of the newer emulators like DuckStation allow for correcting the wobble, texture warping, and judder with a host of features called PGXP. Of course this won't fix things like low-res HUDs looking ugly, but there are texture packs for some of that as well. It puts PSX on more even footing with N64 in terms of the ease of enhancements. Of course, emulating a game accurately is always going to be more reliable, where enhancements are kind of hit or miss.

Speaking of, it's only fairly recently that we've finally gotten an N64 emulator that can really emulate the system accurately, and it looks way different than how most people are probably used to seeing these games in emulation. Real N64 hardware produces a lot of effects that emulators often skip (3-point texture filtering, some native anti-aliasing of jaggies, etc), and looks quite different, but really good on a CRT.

Here's what a real N64 looks like:

Which we can finally get almost perfect in ParaLLEl:

Last edited:

adamsapple

OP never heard about Bleem.

adamsapple adamsapple check out this video if you want the full nostalgia trip:

Dev must have been a really based dude, going against Sony on his own and in such an important moment for the company.

Wow, talk about a nostalgia trip.

Bleem 1.5 beta .. I remember that !

I remember loosing my shit when I was able to emulate and run Resident Evil 3: Nemesis on my shitty childhood computer. Way too young to be playing a game like that lol.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I downloaded Duckstation and its great but i have one question .. what should I pick D11 , Vulkan or D12 ?

anyone who tried it please advise

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Retroarch isn't a very good experience used by itself, the UI is just cluttered and overwhelming. BUT, download Launchbox, which will download and configure RetroArch automatically, and organize all your ROMs, and then talk to me.
I love shaders and everything else accessed through the guide menu in RA despite its initially awkward menu system (gets better with customisation), does LaunchBox support all of that?

Keihart

I love shaders and everything else accessed through the guide menu in RA despite its initially awkward menu system (gets better with customisation), does LaunchBox support all of that?
Launchbox it's just simplier to setup, i personally also gaveup on troubleshooting retroarch every other day over just using launchbox as a front end and setting each emu on its own.
RA just does to much shit which opens the door for all kinds of shit to troubleshoot.

Bigbox, the equivalent to the controller focused UI of RA is pretty shit tho, super slow and ugly, but as a mouse focused experience to launch games, it looks just like steam if you want to.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Launchbox doesn't really have to "support" that, as it all still works and you can save setting per core or per game or whatever.

What Launchbox solves is the experience of just getting into and playing content. It lets you curate all your games by system, with images and metadata in an easy to browse, searchable format.

In the end, it's still gonna put you in RetroArch (or any other emu you add to it), with all the features that implies, it's just a better way to browse and get into your games.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

This thing preceded Bleem if you want more nostalgia trip

connectix-virtual-game-station-screenshot.jpg

First emulator I tried on playing Vagrant Story .
This thing, despite being discontinued almost immediately due to a lawsuit, this remained the best emulator for PlayStation until ePSXe came along around 2 years later -- longer even, since it wasn't really until the PeOPS plugins that ePSXe surpassed it. It was fast, and focussed on accurate software rendering instead enhanced 3D accellerated features.

I never had a PS1. Or any console that gen. I got a 32X, which I sold less than a year later, and no one wanted to get me another system after that. But I had a PC. So the release of VGS was a huge moment for me, when I could finally access that library. And it arrived when new games were still coming to PS1 all the time. I actually amassed a pretty decent PS1 collection after that despite never owning the system.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
While I would definitely agree with this for PE2, which blends 2D backgrounds and 3D characters, this is less true than it used to be. Some of the newer emulators like DuckStation allow for correcting the wobble, texture warping, and judder with a host of features called PGXP. Of course this won't fix things like low-res HUDs looking ugly, but there are texture packs for some of that as well. It puts PSX on more even footing with N64 in terms of the ease of enhancements. Of course, emulating a game accurately is always going to be more reliable, where enhancements are kind of hit or miss.

Speaking of, it's only fairly recently that we've finally gotten an N64 emulator that can really emulate the system accurately, and it looks way different than how most people are probably used to seeing these games in emulation. Real N64 hardware produces a lot of effects that emulators often skip (3-point texture filtering, some native anti-aliasing of jaggies, etc), and looks quite different, but really good on a CRT.

Here's what a real N64 looks like:

Which we can finally get almost perfect in ParaLLEl:

PGXP features are also in mednafen/beetle. I don't care too much for the corrections but with or without them I'd still say native res + any half decent CRT shader is the best choice for all the things explained in brief in that GT video in terms of dithering, blending, coherency of visuals and their intent. Unless we're talking full remake level of enhancements that somehow stay true to the source material, not just high resolution textures of dubious artistic (or AI) merit on top of sharp low polygon meshes on top of low polygon environments on top of effects made for the low resolution etc.

ParaLLEl is ace, no CRT shader combination was getting anything near real N64 output quality before, games just looked wrong like bad old PC game graphics, native or otherwise. With it games finally look right with the correct intended blending of assets and all that.

Dreamcast and newer, either way works, games tend to look ace even in high resolutions but there's still the odd super low resolution 2D element (in-game visuals like say, skyboxes around racing tracks or trees and such) or texture/asset that blends way better in native res and/or with CRT shaders.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Launchbox doesn't really have to "support" that, as it all still works and you can save setting per core or per game or whatever.

What Launchbox solves is the experience of just getting into and playing content. It lets you curate all your games by system, with images and metadata in an easy to browse, searchable format.

In the end, it's still gonna put you in RetroArch (or any other emu you add to it), with all the features that implies, it's just a better way to browse and get into your games.
Perfect, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Shame what Keihart Keihart said about Big Box though, I like the big picture experience. Still, I think I'll experiment.

PGXP features are also in mednafen/beetle. I don't care for the corrections but with or without them I'd still say native res + any half decent CRT shader is the best choice for all the things said in that GT video in terms of dithering, blending, coherency of visuals. Unless we're talking full remake level of enhancements that somehow stay true to the source material, not just high resolution textures of dubious artistic (or AI) merit on top of sharp low polygon meshes on top of low polygon environments on top of effects made for those low resolutions etc.

ParaLLEl is ace, no CRT shader combination was getting anything near real N64 output quality before. native or otherwise, with it games finally look right with the correct intended blending of assets and all that.

Dreamcast and newer, either way works for me, games tend to look ace even in high resolutions with no such issues, but there's still the odd super low resolution 2D element (in-game visuals like say, skyboxes around racing tracks or trees and such) that blends better in native res and/or with CRT shaders.
For PS1 and N64, I like to bump the res by 2x and still use shaders like Death To Pixels for best of both worlds approach.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Ok I’m just putting what I done after many tries to get the best picture with this game PE2 without losing the quality even with a match screen and the results are very good

FYI Here is my settings on Duckstation maybe it’s helpful for someone in future if any wants to play this game on a 55 inch oled screen

Dkbigan.jpg
Acq8syQ.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Ok I’m just putting what I done after many tries to get the best picture with this game PE2 without losing the quality even with a match screen and the results are very good

FYI Here is my settings on Duckstation maybe it’s helpful for someone in future if any wants to play this game on a 55 inch oled screen

Dkbigan.jpg
Acq8syQ.jpg
Have you tried without texture filtering? Might look crispier.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Have you tried without texture filtering? Might look crispier.
I’ve tried and no it’s not .. but interestingly now that I tried xBR is looking more crisp than any other texture filter

Also I noticed that whenever there are mirrors it’s shaking with the movement of the character.. any idea how to remove this weird thing ?

Last edited:

Teslerum

Dkbigan.jpg
Acq8syQ.jpg
Some improvements I'd suggest:

- Use Optimal Frame Pacing
- Integer Upscaling
- Deactivate Depth Buffer in the PGXP Settings (just in general). It's low compatibility for a reason and can lead to glitches more often than not.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Some improvements I'd suggest:

- Use Optimal Frame Pacing
- Integer Upscaling
- Deactivate Depth Buffer in the PGXP Settings (just in general). It's low compatibility for a reason and can lead to glitches more often than not.
Integer Upscaling will prevent me from using the whole screen + I already tried it and see no difference tbh. As for others I’ll check them and see

Thanks

AX8

Banned
Some cool emulation stuff I learned thanks to this thread, thanks all, didn't even know duckstation was a thing, I too grew up with epsxe so news to me, I'll set it up later.

Top Bottom