• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PC the best gaming platform this generation?

Hohenheim

Why is this even a question? If price isn't a factor PC has always been the better way to play video games.
True.
It seems like a lot of people who maybe cannot afford a high-end PC is defending the consoles for all it's worth, in some sort of denial that there's better options out there if money is not a issue. Consoles are cool and grest value for their low price, but comparing them to high end PC's seems a bit silly.
And no, I don't need to hear about the "stutter issues" argument.
I have friends who spend on a brand new PC with a RTX 4080 or even the 4090 and then they proceed to pirate games like Baldurs Gate 3 claiming that games are too expensive nowadays. I fucking hate it when they do this.
That's just sad. I hope their GPU's gets overheated and burn while they play their pirated games by folks who really makes a positive change in this industry. I mean, if it's ONE game i'd gladly pay top dollar for it's Baldurs Gate 3. Huge game with no micros, and made by a passionate team that really wants to keep this industry going in a healthy way.

Last edited:

angrod14

*Goes to state his preferences as an objective standard*

So much gibberish in your post and outdated views, it's literally what year is this.gif

the-last-of-us-part-1-pc-visual-glitches-graphics-bugs-v0-J88PexNvkIsxciDDQJ5-VLhCpsSl9A3XinzLRByvVDI.jpg

MikeM

Until you get a shit driver that breaks everything. Me last night lol shut down my PC and fired up the PS5.
I have friends who spend on a brand new PC with a RTX 4080 or even the 4090 and then they proceed to pirate games like Baldurs Gate 3 claiming that games are too expensive nowadays. I fucking hate it when they do this.
E-peen > supporting good games
It's incredible how closed minded some PC elitists are, stating their preferences as an objective standard. How could you not see the appeal of consoles beyond the price point? They're easy, safe, plug and play, and have many exclusive games that aren't on PC. They're meant to be played on the couch, which you could do with a PC but it just isn't as snappy. Fuck gaming on a monitor.

What is "superior" to you is a hindrance to many people. I don't want to fuck around with settings, benchmarks, check if my setup will be compatible with upcoming games, if certain shit is "optimized for AMD or Nvidia", to troubleshoot stuff, etc. I don't want mods, I feel they shit on the creators intentions and cheapen the games. If some people find value in them, great. But I don't care about that.

And are you seriously going to not address the fact that PC gets the shittiest ports most of the times? Imagine spending money on a 4090 to get ports like Arkham Knight, TLOU Part I, Dead Space Remake, Elden Ring and having to wait for them to be patched. It's just laughable. Master race my ass.

Also, no option for physical media. No game ownership whatsoever. Have fun with your licenses.

I understand why some enthusiast like the "openness" of PC but like I said, to many others that's actually a minus, not a plus.
Agreed. PC is not the end all, be all of gaming. It has its place but lets not pretend it doesn’t have its own fair share of issues which are largely irrelevant to console.
Had a very funny convo with a friend of mine. We were talking about Helldivers and how it's been a little buggy (heh) on the PS5 and he said PC is the best platform for gaming. He said he could never go back to console. So I asked him about his PC specs and said he had a fucking GTX980.....
Funny enough, I just refunded Helldivers on PC because its a crash fest. The new AMD drivers that just came out for it actually broke VRR and Chill. Back to PS5 for this game now.
I’d say that the actual purchase and building the PC is the big obstacle. I’m trying to build a smaller sized living room PC right now and there’s like a million choices. Better prebuilds would take PC gaming to the next level. Or if Valve would jump in with Steam boxes again, they did an amazing job with Steam Deck.
Part of that problem is that you are being very picky and indecisive. Terrible in an environment with massive choice.

Cramoss

It's incredible how closed minded some PC elitists are, stating their preferences as an objective standard. How could you not see the appeal of consoles beyond the price point? They're easy, safe, plug and play, and have many exclusive games that aren't on PC. They're meant to be played on the couch, which you could do with a PC but it just isn't as snappy. Fuck gaming on a monitor.

What is "superior" to you is a hindrance to many people. I don't want to fuck around with settings, benchmarks, check if my setup will be compatible with upcoming games, if certain shit is "optimized for AMD or Nvidia", to troubleshoot stuff, etc. I don't want mods, I feel they shit on the creators intentions and cheapen the games. If some people find value in them, great. But I don't care about that.

And are you seriously going to not address the fact that PC gets the shittiest ports most of the times? Imagine spending money on a 4090 to get ports like Arkham Knight, TLOU Part I, Dead Space Remake, Elden Ring and having to wait for them to be patched. It's just laughable. Master race my ass.

Also, no option for physical media. No game ownership whatsoever. Have fun with your licenses.

I understand why some enthusiast like the "openness" of PC but like I said, to many others that's actually a minus, not a plus.
The only sane post in this thread.

Geruda065

Great info in this thread guys. I'm trying to decide do i switch to pc. Does any one know power consumption difference between ps5 and pc like rtx 4070?

Buggy Loop

I mean when the source material is this

Will we make Pikachu surprise face when Spider-Man 2 comes to PC with glitches?

It’s not negative he kept the card. I didn’t say that.
It’s negative to keep saying it’s the best way to play even though that’s highly debatable with 980

From the Clintizzle Clintizzle 's comment, he didn't say it's the best way to play, he said it's the best platform. Maybe for him, keeping a decade old rig and playing 2024 games is what makes it the best. These console cutoff gens and paid resolution bumps are ridiculous and mainly why I skipped all consoles except Nintendo (And I doubt I'll go switch 2). Why is Helldivers 2 not on PS4 for example? If a freaking handheld manages it, what's their reason?

The day he upgrades his rig, he gets all the resolution and framerate bumps without paying again for it, wild.

I stretched PC rigs when I was a poor student and It was indeed also why PC is the best platform because it allows it. Hard concept, I know.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
lol how do? Somebody still using 980 is someone still using 980. You don’t have to be a genius to keep using older gpu.
true but it's a pretty difficult path being a low end gamer in the modern age and still getting through. on a card like the 980, its so old that driver support is waning and games aren't supporting its featureset anymore.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Great info in this thread guys. I'm trying to decide do i switch to pc. Does any one know power consumption difference between ps5 and pc like rtx 4070?
Power consumption is one of the biggest negatives of PC especially at the high end, a card like the 4070 alone takes up as much wattage as a PS5, and has a recommended 650W PSU.

Senua

Stutterfest, third rate ports and increasingly expensive hardware for smaller and smaller gains make it a definite no.
Well the smaller and smaller gains is just bullshit. Compilation stutter is a problem with some titles for sure, but for the most part you are getting much better performance than console if you spend the dosh.

The Stig

Not for me. I have too many cons. Multiple store fronts, small monitor, the fact that you have to play using keyboard and mouse you need to be seated at a desk, game crashes because there aren't two PCs alike, PC is not suited for multiple users, high hardware prices, system resources wasted by the SO and so on, and so on...
So, no, for me, PC is not the best platform in this or any other generation and never will be. I like simplicity and a console can't be matched in that regard.
dude, it's not 2008 anymore

RickMasters

Tell you what....Ill agree if any of you can figure out why corair Icue is no longer seeing the commander pro in my computer, so now all my fans are....rainbow, or not lighting up..instead of the 'indigo' blue I set them as.....

Zathalus

For me it absolutely is. The advantages far outweigh any potential benefits from playing on console. The only recent major negative is shader stutters, but that was mostly the fault of UE4 and UE5 is massively improved in that area. Immortals of Aveum and Robocop had zero shader stutters.

But that is just one drawback, up against the myriad of advantages that PC has.

Buggy Loop

there is no question anymore.

I love SSF builds but from my very own experience, those extra liters of case for a GPU that has bigger / more fans will make the experience much better with lower noises.

But yea, incredibly small, didn't even know a 4060 of that size existed.

I also don't go under a NH-L12s CPU cooler personally. Many learnt lessons from chasing small console-like sizes in the past. Probably would be more tolerable with a mid-range but if you chase just a tad of performances, it goes to shit.

Last edited:

Bojji

Power consumption is one of the biggest negatives of PC especially at the high end, a card like the 4070 alone takes up as much wattage as a PS5, and has a recommended 650W PSU.

4070 is like 70% faster than PS5 and takes 200W, with under volt it can take less than 150. Modern cpus from AMD are around 120W but usually takes around half of that in games.

So for GPU and cpu alone you can have cpu that that is 2x more powerful than PS5 cpu and GPU that is more than 70% more powerful and both will take around 250W on average. PS5 can max out around 230W.

Mr.ODST

Tempted to buy a Steam Deck as I have over 1k games on my Steam account, cheaper games etc, Everyone has told me it Steam Deck just completes the ecosystem as I've been thinking of moving to PC perm for a while (Have PC, PS5 & Switch).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
4070 is like 70% faster than PS5 and takes 200W, with under volt it can take less than 150. Modern cpus from AMD are around 120W but usually takes around half of that in games.

So for GPU and cpu alone you can have cpu that that is 2x more powerful than PS5 cpu and GPU that is more than 70% more powerful and both will take around 250W on average. PS5 can max out around 230W.
This is a fair point but he was asking about power consumption... 250w on average is not as good as something maxing out at 230w (and likely taking less than that most of the time)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What games? People on PC don't actually play games, they just count the frames and masturbate. Switch has actual games and PC doesn't have them
If a game is on Switch, it's on PC too...

Also fun fact, Switch games are developed on PCs. Have fun sleeping at night.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I love how PC has to resort to illegal piracy from an "inferior" device in order to actually have games worth playing. Curious.
yeah, it sucks for us that you have the privilege of paying 60 dollars full price for a verison of the game that in best case scenario will run at 1080p 60 while PC players have "to resort" to playing it at much higher framerates and resolutions than that, with better controllers and mods too. BTW you can always dump your switch games and data and play them on PC instead.

Only on NeoGAF folks! Gotta love this 4om

Last edited:

SenkiDala

there is no question anymore.

That's actually interesting but the price remains a lot higher. PC will win when you can get one, as powerful/efficient than both PS5/XSX for the same price than both PS5/XSX.

Seems this rig is around 2300€ so... + The price of a controller (and an external 4KBR drive if you want to).

But yeah if you have the budget (which I don't) it's an interesting alternative.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I love how PC has to resort to illegal piracy from an "inferior" device in order to actually have games worth playing. Curious.

You have just over 100 posts in 9 years. Way to be, grifter. Just casually pop in every few years and start running your mouth in defense of your favorite corporation/plastic box. That'll teach us.

P.S. Zelda sux.

Excited Oh No GIF

Last edited:
Preference pc has its own set of issues especially if you live a busy life and don't have time for buggy compatibility issues to troubleshoot, but when it's running smooth at max detail its superior sure

TxKnight7

To play old games better, yes sometimes.
To play new games, hell no.
Gears 5 was better on PC than on the One X
Games like Control and Cyberpunk where unplayable compared to PC versions Those games even had ray tracing while the Console versions at the time did not and runs at 10 fps

From eurogamer

Both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One can see prolonged frame-rate drops in sustained combat, dropping all the way down to 10 frames per second at its absolute worst. Perhaps surprisingly, it's the PS4 that drops hardest and longest, making it noticeably the least performant version of the game. It ran so poorly that we ran through a range of checks, from rebooting the console completely to running Control on other PS4 units (the fan kicking in hard on a launch model). Nothing helped - this is how the game actually plays and it's not pretty. Xbox One S is better, there's no doubt about it, but it's still a highly unsatisfactory experience overall - a notch above PS4 in troublesome combat but still a game it's hard to recommend.

It works on the Sony and Microsoft boxes, but the game reaches another level on PC, with Control featuring one of the most impressive DXR ray tracing implementations we've seen. In marketing the game.

Top Bottom