• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the world ready for $800-$900 consoles?

Would you pay $800-$900 for an enhanced console?

• Total voters

Gamerguy84

Probably. I don't game on console for the price point though. I could buy several 4090s right now and it wouldn't sting. I enjoy the whole experience.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Watching mid 40s gamers grow up is a gross process. They hold onto their childhood forever. The cheap consoles and game rentals they survived on in their youth get replaced with an endless call for more unrealistically premium products that alienate kids and teenagers. Everyone growing up will just play mobile or f2p Roblox stuff. Retirement homes will have consoles at 16k though and come with a coupon for free cataract surgery.

kingyala

Banned
its just clickbait and hype guys, people need subscribers on their pages... pro consoles dont make any sense at the moment, ps4 pro was for 4k tv's and nobody needs 8k.. we already have reconstruction techniques anyway even 4090's use dlss so what's the point.. secondly chips are expensive sony and ms can barely produce a series x and ps5, also developer strain. Games already come out poorly unoptimized due to (1.insufficient budgets, (2.multiple consoles to optimize for that come with different problems from api's to memory constraints.. dev's have to optimize the hell out of 2 different current gen xbox sku's and add crossgen to that that's 4 different xbox + ps5, ps4 pro/ps4 + infinite pc configurations and shader compilation issues... we havent even started to see ue5 games yet... devs are already finding it hard to maximize current systems and im sure the last thing they need is another console since games are only going to get bigger,

adding pro consoles to this current shit show will only increase more problems we have already witnessed a plethora of Brocken bugged up games and some games look worse than 10 year old games and perform like crap on current consoles like wild hearts, wu long, even gotham knights looks worse than arkham knight and is only 30fps, introducing pro consoles simply means developers will slap out more unoptimized games out there. just look at xbox one s current ports developers aren't even trying! and even the series s is a pain in the ass.. i hope they just jump straight to ps6 i don't think pro consoles are needed its really useless. they should focus on making games that fully utilize current systems well. If anybody wants more resolutions and frame rates just make a monster pc since youll also play game pass and PlayStation exclusives, as for consoles the current ones are more than enough.

I think when people see the next naughty dog game, spider man or wolverine then they will shut up about the thirst for pro consoles. All that's needed is the games there just arent enough top tier blockbuster nextgen games out there... current example microsoft should have invested that 60$ billion in their studios or new studios to make top games buying activision just to keep making cod is pointless.. purchasing a ps5 pro to play fifa and Fortnite wont solve anything. we simply have more hardware this days than games... we have handheld pc's to raytracing pc's, consoles but no games to utilize the hardware..

Last edited:
I drop thousands a year on guns and retro game collecting and those things sit in a safe/shelf 99% of the time. I would buy a premium console that has all the bells and whistles for that price because it will be used daily or almost daily.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Ill never understand why people are against choice, yes the world is freacking ready, gpus have crossed the 500 market ages ago ... is the hole world ready ?? Nope.. and it will never be .. but the market exists ... the premium markets exists in cars, hometheater, stereo, phones, and even on PC , is about time the premium market arrive on consoles, with the new hardware more easy to scale, there is no excuse, is money on the table

I am all for options. I wouldn't support a $800 minimum entry point into a gaming ecosystem.. Though I would very much love the option to get a significant performance boost in console gaming and would gladly pay extra for more consistent performance at higher quality levels.

In short, it would be nice to have a premium offering, and I feel like there would be a market for that. I mean people drop $1000 yearly on their phones for goodness sake..

Last edited:

Ellery

On a personal level I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I think it would be a idiotic choice from Sony/MS to price a Pro consoles at $900.

The funniest thing about this thread is that your name is Celsius and when you wrote "But celsius" I thought u were going to tackle the problem of heat dissipation that comes with bigger and beefier systems.

Who knows, there's a sucker born every minute. As said, you can build yourself a nice PC for around $900 that blows any home console out of the water and can do a lot more than just play games. Plus there is almost always a sale on Steam for any type of game.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
In a world where apparently people were ready for a $200 'standard' controller, an $800 console seems like it would be well received.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Well, there is such a thing as inflation, and it's real. So technically we should. But I don't think so. There is a psychological barrier. We will get there at some point, but will do so slowly. Unless something catastrofic happens to the economy causing even more severe inflation.

Elios83

I don't know about 800-900$ but I think the infamous (in 2006) 599$ price will become accepted as a normal price for high end consoles in the next few years.
We have seen with the covid related shortages that people are willing to pay a lot...
And the fact that PC GPUs now cost more than 1000$ will only seal the deal.

Last edited:

Beechos

Why not we got people spending that much money on high end sneakers and clothes. Gamers who spend hundred of dollars on statues, keyboards, chairs, etc..

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If Sony released a PS5 pro with a 4090, 64GB of RAM and a 5TB SSD, then I'd happily spend £1000 for it.

I'm not alone either. It would sell out in minutes.
Id pay 1000 dollars for a 4090 by itself let alone also getting 64GB of RAM and a 5TB SSD.

The mid-gen refreshes won't cost a cent more than $500 USD and RoW counterparts.

Some of you don't really have the slightest idea of BoM's, let alone the console space and it's magic MSRP.

oji-san

Banned
800 will be for US, in here it will be maybe $1200, i payed $580 for my digital PS5, and from official retailer, was launch price.
Too expensive tbh, somewhere inline of $600 sounds better.

Fbh

I definitely think there's a market for it.
It's going to be more limited and I imagine the "mid tier" consoles will continue being the best selling ones by far, but they could probably still sell several millions of them, specially if the performance upgrades are significant.

Personally at $900 I would pass. The Sony tax would probably make it $1200-1300 around here which is way too much and assuming this comes out in late 2024 it's only going to be relevant for 2 or 3 years if the Ps6 comes out in 2026-7

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'd pay that easily. 800 bucks for thousands of hours of entertainment across a decade is an easy choice.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Id pay 1000 dollars for a 4090 by itself let alone also getting 64GB of RAM and a 5TB SSD.

That's why it's a brilliant idea! The console would be a massive seller, although I'm sure it would also plunge Sony into financial ruin............but a 4090 in a console!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Even if I might, the world is not ready for that. I don't even think the world is ready for $500 consoles if you look at how sluggish adoption of the new gen is.

hinch7

I mean.. I would buy one. But I think sales would fall off quite a bit if consoles are $700 and over.

lukilladog

Sony has set a msrp of $700 for the PS5 in countries with a minimum daily wage of $10.5 usd. They are aiming for 1500-2000 usd consoles.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I don't believe so. For decades, many console owners don't bite until the console hits a specific price point. Be it because they're casual gamers, or because they didn't want to shell out a specific kind of money. There's reasons why a lot of previous gen consoles are still being played, and still being purchased up until the point where they stop making new ones.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Not at retail I don't think. I mean walking into a store physically, but the Xbox all access model certainly.

I got a Series X all access £28 a month for 24 months, don't even notice it coming out the bank.

I think that was £700 over the term.

I'd happily double that next gen for a monster machine.

Hydroxy

I think PS6 could be $700 if you adjust it for inflation if it comes out in 2027. So $800 is not out of the realm of possibility

ironmang

If it's some optional "pro" upgrade then I don't care. They'll still design games for the 95%+ who have the base hardware.

KXVXII9X

No because it doesn't ensure quality of software.

I remember when Xbox One X and PS4 Pro came out and people were hyping them up. I remember there being no big Xbox games to take full advantage of the Xbox One X. I remember hearing about teraflops for the first time and how powerful it was but it wasn't as impressive as TLOU Part 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, or Ghost of Tsushima on a regular PS4.

I am now the same with the Switch. I have a powerful PC but I am more interested in Nintendo exclusives and the Level 5 lineup coming. I can also play games like Hi-Fi Rush at 120 fps and it is a stunning game.

The best kinds of games require an appropriate budget and strong team to make something worthwhile. Also well optimized games with a strong art direction is important. Throwing more and more power at games feels like polishing a turd.

Amory

Frankly I don't see how the answer could be 'no'. Scalpers made plenty of money on PS5s and XSXs selling them for upwards of a grand on the secondary market, and got away with it for well beyond the initial launch period. The appetite to spend the money is there.

farmerboy

I said yes, but only base that on my preferences. I enjoy my hobby, and almost all of my discretionary spending is on gaming. I'd feel comfortable spending extra.

LordOfChaos

As long as that's a Pro option for people who want to spend more that's fine, but for the regular consoles ~750 all told in CAD already felt like a bit of a stretch and 800-900 would be bringing it to over a grand in Canada, so I personally wouldn't until a price drop if that was for regular consoles.

For Pro versions, go for it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If Sony released a PS5 pro with a 4090, 64GB of RAM and a 5TB SSD, then I'd happily spend £1000 for it.

I'm not alone either. It would sell out in minutes.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Why not we got people spending that much money on high end sneakers and clothes. Gamers who spend hundred of dollars on statues, keyboards, chairs, etc..
Exactly there are a lot of people out there that even spending $1000 on a console doesn't fall in the outrageously priced category

fuck that.
Why people demanding these multiple tier priced consoles, just get a pc ?! Why ruin console market if you want to badly spend money
I have a nice PC but wont play shooters on PC because of how much worse cheaters are

If Sony/MS want to offer a premium console at a premium price I am all in

Watch this video on how bad cheating is on PC

Last edited:

Bond007

While i would pay this amount- i dont agree with this if you are trying to penetrate households. Pretty much torpedoes a normal kids chance at this.
Im an adult.

Top Bottom