• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the world ready for $800-$900 consoles?

Would you pay $800-$900 for an enhanced console?

• Total voters

KXVXII9X

Well so fuck off and go cry in the corner because you dont want others to have something you cant have
They can just buy a PC though. Especially since both PS5 and Xbox games come out on the platform. You would be getting access to more games with much more choice on what you want to upgrade. I'm not even a PC fan, but I think if someone wanted a premium option a PC would be a much smarter investment.

Fredrik

You are early day1 adopter, only to receive crossgen games and when the gen is ready, the release the pro. f this
I have no issues with the releases so far, what I’m worried about is that the true current gen UE5 etc games will drop the fps to 30. After that I’ll have to play the last 3 years like that, with FOMO eating me up, or I’ll have to buy another $700 console. It just sucks.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have no issues with the releases so far, what I’m worried about is that the true current gen UE5 etc games will drop the fps to 30. After that I’ll have to play the last 3 years like that, with FOMO eating me up, or I’ll have to buy another $700 console. It just sucks.
30 can be fine. UE is the problem here. Nothing has to be 30 if devs dont want so

Bernardougf

Gold Member
They can just buy a PC though. Especially since both PS5 and Xbox games come out on the platform. You would be getting access to more games with much more choice on what you want to upgrade. I'm not even a PC fan, but I think if someone wanted a premium option a PC would be a much smarter investment.
You know that is not that easy ... PC has multiple parts, you have to deal with drivers ever changing , bad optimization and it is even in the premium space much more expensive than a 800 premium console ... dont mentioning that sony games come 1 year from the console date

There is, absolutely, zero downside , if right now we were playing the same games at a ps5 (as it exists) and an ps5 pro capable of getting the "fidelity mode" to 60 fps and with somewhat better RT ... the only reason someone must have is not WANTING anybody to play on better systens them they play

You just cant compare someone wanting just ONE more choice in the closed ps/sony system for a little more money and someone wanting to tangle with Pc gaming and its multiple parts/systens/softwares/high costs and etc

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Theyd be foolish if it was a big jump in power, they make money through software and not hardware.
Seeing as people gladly paid more than this to scalpers, id say they will definitely try.
I expect it, but i also dont expect it to fully replace or be as succesful the normal 500-550€ ones and just be an extra offering. If it happens itll likely be a small and very cheap jump in specs.

They will likely end up being nearly identical (ram,cpu) and just have a better gpu, psu and more storage since those are the areas where the current consoles are struggling. Well those and the cpu performance, possibly because all the power goes to the gpu and zen2 single thread performance is pretty weak, but that should be solved on the software side (they target low framerates anyway, ryzen 2600x tier performance should be enough if its fully utilized)
Wouldnt they be dumb and make things more complicated if they improved the ram and cpu? Having diffrent gpus shouldnt make things any more difficult unlike Series S and X having different amount of ram, it has to be pretty bad to work on those.

Last edited:

Three

I would be Ok with it as long as the price was justified with specs but then I would fear that it wouldn't get much support anyway because most people wouldn't own it. They would own the cheaper option and the cheaper option would take priority in development.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Of course not. with that price tag how are they going to lure people into their ecosystem?

But the same people that despise the high price of a console will have no problem paying any amount of price at MSRP for a game with low budget production value that never goes on sales on a platform by a certain company and justify it with Metacritc score (you know who I'm talking about), these games price stacks up that makes hardware price irrelevant at the end you know.

That being said, this is why I think PC gaming is a wiser choice in terms of economics, the hardware might be more expensive, but the games are dirt cheap compare to consoles, in around 10 games the price gap between the hardware is almost closed, what you are left with is a much better hardware and future of cheap games, its much a better investment. And don't tell me most people in GAF don't buy at least 10 or more game for a lifespan of a console generation.

Last edited:

SHA

With hype and wow factor,yeah, absolutely. , no looting no grindiness, just clean gameplay and every game matters , new sequel every 3 years , no review bombs , just what we want, count me in.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I think it's extremely unlikely that we'll get enhanced consoles this gen for the same price that the ps5 & xbox series launched at. It's just not economically feasible. However, if Sony and MS were comfortable with delivering a $800-$900 product then this would open the door to all kinds of technical possibilities.

"But Celcius", you may say, "That's a lot of money!"

Cell phones cost a thousand dollars these days. Computer videocards can be $1k-$2k depending on what you get at the high end. A Pro console is supposed to deliver a higher-end gaming experience than the base console and the fact is that things are getting expensive these days so price increases are inevitable. Paying $800-$900 is still much cheaper than spending that much on a computer videocard and then also having to buy the rest of the system. Also keep in mind that if you don't want to spend this kind of money on a console, the base consoles will still exist.

"But Celcius", you may say again, "What would a Pro console even offer?"

More memory (RAM). CPUs with either x3d cache or higher clockspeeds. Bigger gpus. Beefier cooling to handle the new specs without sounding like a jet engine. Since the storage is expandable, I'd prefer they don't spend any extra money on the base storage and instead put it all into extra power & cooling.

I'm not saying that we need enhanced consoles now or even next year, I'm just assuming at some point.

Last generation has shown that there is a healthy appetite among console gamers for more powerful hardware but I think now the question is how much would they be willing to pay for a meaningful upgrade in power this gen. What do you guys think... is the world ready for $800-$900 enhanced consoles?
For enthusiasts, I can see the reasoning but the problem is why not spend a little more and get a decent PC?

I think it's a given we'll get Pro consoles at some point but if they're more $300-$400 more expensive than the base versions then I think that'll be a bit tougher to swallow for the mainstream.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Seeing as people gladly paid more than this to scalpers, id say they will definitely try.
I expect it, but i also dont expect it to fully replace or be as succesful the normal 500-550€ ones and just be an extra offering.

They will likely end up being nearly identical (ram,cpu) and just have a better gpu, psu and more storage since those are the areas where the current consoles are struggling. Well those and the cpu performance, possibly because all the power goes to the gpu and zen2 single thread performance is pretty weak, but that should be solved on the software side (they target low framerates anyway, ryzen 2600x tier performance should be enough if its fully utilized).
Exactly! Not a full replace.. expecting an single sku for 800 is bonkers... but 02 skus one being Exactly what we got and one a premium for those who want one.. there is no downside to this I think

nbkicker

I would if it was silent, xbox s silent, xbox x silent, ps4 pro silent, my pc silent, my ps5 like a rickerty refrigerator

Chastten

Banned
I personally don't care about graphics but I think the market as a whole could support it. I mean, the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X didn't set the world on fire, but as long as sales expectations aren't unreasonable, they could move a few million units and keep everyone happy.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Idiots are paying $100k over asking for houses and $75k for pickup trucks, so what's $1000 for a console.
200.gif

Gamerguy84

There's a lot of time difference in the conversation. I'm very much against yearly updated consoles. I'm am for updated consoles every 3.5 to 4 years.

The Nvidia/AMD model crack me up though. The 5xxx and maybe the 6xxx series are already taped out ready for production but gotta milk the 2xxx crowd who couldn't take the 3xxxx crowd talking about how good life was so they upgraded. When the 5s come out the 3s will upgrade.

M1987

Yes ... 800 to 900 hundred for 8 years of entertainment?? ... people pay more for iphones and change the next year .. scalpers also proved that price wont stop the demand ...

But do it in two skus form .. 400 and 800 .. 450 and 900 .. whatever
It would be for 4 years,and the ports are so shit,it would probably be struggling to play games at a decent framerate and resolution within 2 years like the regular PS5

Last edited:

Banned
for pro consoles yes, for nornal ones no.

IMO if Microsoft released a Series S, Series X and a Series Z at launch, with the Z having a 2x as powerful GPU and more memory, it would have sold well for 900 to 1000 bucks.

and developers wouldn't even need to target this theoretical Series Z specifically, just add options to unlock framerates on each mode, and let the API handle the rest

Last edited:

Knightime_X

Maybe? As long as pro versions stop being a thing.
Generations would need to be longer to get your money's worth.
But quality of games will begin to suffer as the generation continues.
Games will start out 60fps native resolution and oftentimes end up 30fps with lower resolution.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
We will get the exact same unreliable, hardly repairable consoles that were designed for you to buy another one a few years later.
i don't own a PS4 or Xbox one but i feel like that's cap..... most consoles i own, even the oldest ones are still rockin along fine

The world probably not given that US citizens are among the top 1% of wealthiest people around the entire globe. It‘ll be hard to sell 800$ plastic boxes in Ruanda. But the 1st world gamers probably are, since most PC setups are more expensive.

phant0m

I want a PlayStation Ultimate that will accept and play any PlayStation Disc. 1-5. And give me customizable upscaling and shaders for PS1 & 2.

If the retro community can do that shit for free, you can figure it out Sony.

I would drop $1k in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Another person who doesn't realize most people subsidize phones over $800 plus dollars or something around that.

People aren't running and dropping $2k and video cards on the underutilized ultra end are for niche enthusiasts. Not computers that generally sell console numbers.

Enhanced consoles this gen btw, will be like PRO and Xbox One X. Where the core hardware will be mostly the same but raw graphics will get a boost. That's going to raise a large question mark over whether an $800 console would be worth it. Xbox One X was at least the price the Xbox One was at it's early successful run before the bees caught up with Microsot. PS4 Pro also was the original price, and both the base consoles were $299.

I am in doubts we will see a real price drop this gen outside revamped version that may or may not even be slim. Because of this, I expect that revision to be the only one we get this gen.

I don't think it needs to be $800-900 when a 3080 is already at least 1.75-2x the speed of the current gen consoles. A similar card on the AMD side, a 6800xt, is regularly in the low $500s. I got an open box 6800 which can be overclocked to base 6800 performance for $400 at MC. If you factor in economies of scale and the sweetheart deals that Sony and MS are probably getting, the pro consoles shouldn't really cost any more than $750 TOPS because the vast majority of users aren't going to either A. Be able to tell the difference from their seating distance between 1800p/reconstruction and native 4k B. not have the display necessary (and close seating distance) to take advantage of high fps gaming and higher resolutions in tandem. We've got plenty of 1080p120fps modes already in demanding AAA games on the current consoles (which could probably go quite a bit higher on fps or resolution if uncapped or using a slightly higher, less consistent resolution target/dynamic resolution).

A 6800xt class card easily gets you over the hump to 1440p or higher and high refresh rate gaming (although it's easily a 90fps ish and 4k medium-high card but we need more unlocked FPS modes and VRR displays if devs are going to adopt something between 60 and 120 as widespread). A console like that would be a ripoff at $900, PARTICULARLY considering a good bit of that extra cost and resulting performance would be wasted on couch gaming. I guess if you're sitting at a desk you can make an argument but then just get a PC? You're already getting almost all of the games anyway. Shit, the current gen consoles are barely a good value anymore given the used GPU market. I happen to own both of them. The only reason I don't regret it is because prices have not fallen.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Another person who doesn't realize most people subsidize phones over $800 plus dollars or something around that.

People aren't running and dropping $2k and video cards on the underutilized ultra end are for niche enthusiasts. Not computers that generally sell console numbers.

Enhanced consoles this gen btw, will be like PRO and Xbox One X. Where the core hardware will be mostly the same but raw graphics will get a boost. That's going to raise a large question mark over whether an $800 console would be worth it. Xbox One X was at least the price the Xbox One was at it's early successful run before the bees caught up with Microsot. PS4 Pro also was the original price, and both the base consoles were $299.

I am in doubts we will see a real price drop this gen outside revamped version that may or may not even be slim. Because of this, I expect that revision to be the only one we get this gen.

Well even when SX first released you could subsidize it through MS (or maybe the retailers), I dunno about the PS5, but I definitely remember options to get the SX for like $30/month or something like that.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I paid $900 for my PS5 and people resoundingly mocked me for it. stay mad haterz.

In all seriousness though, I'd pay $800-1k if the hardware called for it. People act like gaming is getting more expensive but if anything, it was cheap for the longest. I feel like prices are just catching up. Not every N64 game was worth $60+, not every modern game is worth $70. No one is forcing you to buy shit games. Quit your bitchin'.

KXVXII9X

You know that is not that easy ... PC has multiple parts, you have to deal with drivers ever changing , bad optimization and it is even in the premium space much more expensive than a 800 premium console ... dont mentioning that sony games come 1 year from the console date

There is, absolutely, zero downside , if right now we were playing the same games at a ps5 (as it exists) and an ps5 pro capable of getting the "fidelity mode" to 60 fps and with somewhat better RT ... the only reason someone must have is not WANTING anybody to play on better systens them they play

You just cant compare someone wanting just ONE more choice in the closed ps/sony system for a little more money and someone wanting to tangle with Pc gaming and its multiple parts/systens/softwares/high costs and etc
I have an Asus Zephyrus gaming laptop near the power of a PS5 and I don't think it is all that more complicated than a console tbh. It just sometimes has games with poor optimization, but overall some parts of it are easier than a console (at least easier than my PS4). I think consoles are great though at limited choice overload and giving the player a set of options without having to tweak.

It isn't that I don't want people to have a premium console. I just bought an OLED Switch. I would be a hypocrite. If those premium features is just more power, it would just tell Devs you don't have to optimize or be economical in your game design. Just brute force everything.

CLW

I mean inflation alone prices have historically been that high for a console

“My” (actually my fathers) 1st console was an intelivision which was like $300 in 1980 or $1100+ in 2023

Atari 3do Saturn and a few others have been close to that price point too. HYPER Inflation isn’t stopping (contrary to what the transitory “experts” say) so those prices are going to happen soon.

The value proposition isn’t as bad when compared to pc gaming and the price for a gaming pc

fermcr

Fans from a certain console are similar to Apple fans... they would pay $800-$900 for a console.

Last edited:

fermcr

How Dare You Greta GIF

Talk badly about Phil Spencer’s worshippers

No... it's fans from a different console.

Well, they already don't mind purchasing a console + VR equipment for $1200, so a $800-$900 console wouldn't be a stretch for them.

Last edited:

EN250

World wasn't ready when PS3 was $600, idk why it'd be ready for a new console at $800/$900

And if you try to bring something like "but phones" those are a necessity now, consoles are still a "luxury" in the sense that it's not really needed for anything but Video Games

Aenima

The world is not ready, but some ppl are. During the shortages alot PS5 were sold for those prices. If the console specs was raised to match the price i could see even more ppl on board, but i still think "the world" would wait untill it got cheaper.

Hugare

Not paying over 500 dollars for a console.
If you are gonna charge me 800 - 900 dollars fuck that Ill just build a PC and call it a day.
I dont understand this argument at all

You can buy a 900 dollars PC at that price, sure. But it would probably be way inferior than the console in terms of hardware.

Just like it would take you way more than $499 to build a PC equivalent to a PS5 today, it would take you way more than $900 to build an equivalent PC to this console.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Restaurant menu
  1. Plain burger with fries $20
  2. Rack of ribs with two sides $40
  3. Steak with three sides $60

Bob: I'm going to get the ribs
Jenny: I'm going to get the steak
Brad: I want everyone to buy the burger like I am

Can you pick out the console gamer who doesn't want higher spec options?
No because they're eating dinner, not playing video games.

Top Bottom