• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a Gordon Ramsey equivalent for Video Games?

levyjl1988

Banned
Like someone who judges and ridicules game designers for their lackluster effort?
4PqVvx6.jpg

I think angry The Video Game Nerd was the first to make a callout to shitty production values of certain video games.
Y9JJO31.gif

I want masterpiece titles, AAA productions, not some mediocre game they put out that looks terrible.
I'm looking at you Sonic Frontiers, this game looks like shit.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I don’t know of any mainstream reviewer who is an active or former game developer. Gordon Ramsey doesn’t just have the charisma… he still actively cooks incredible food and thus carries credibility that most reviewers don’t have. He can talk about food in extensive detail, and knows the business in a way that a random food critic could never reach because they don’t live in that world.

I can say a game sucks and make some channel called ANGRY MEICYN and it would be another boilerplate production where yet another gamer gets angry at game. And no one would care because I’m boring and I’ve never made a videogame aside from some trash I wrote in BASIC when I was young.

clarky

Gold Member
To get a Gordon Ramsey equivalent, this fictional person would need to be a top tier game dev to have any credibility. So no.

Imagine some wanker coming to your place of work and telling you your shit at your job but has never done it himself? Can't see that working out.

radewagon

Off topic, but...

When my wife and I got married, we sent invitations to a whole bunch of celebrities. None of them showed up, obviously, but Gordon Ramsey is the only one that replied to our invitation. Sent us a letter saying he couldn't make it and an autographed photo. Pretty cool guy.

Rykan

No, because Gordon Ramsey (outside of the fact that it's obviously an act) actually has the pedigree to criticize other chefs and aspiring chefs.

Most "Video game critics" are really just typical average video game fans with very average video game knowledge & opinions that just happened to be good at script writing and video content creation. Yahtzee, Skillup, ACG, The Sphere hunter, Angry Joe. All of them are good entertainers and perfectly serviceable if you want generic video game opinions but their knowledge about actual video game development is, in most cases, close to nihil.

Ozzie666

did he really?, haven't watched his videos in a while.

Yes and he fully embraced what can only be described as the bat shit crazies to a point where he comes off as unhinged and unwell. But that is a different and more serious conversation. Hopefully it's all an act to stay relevant in today's world. But he pushed it pretty far.

For me, Angry Video Gamer Nerd is probably the closest we have currently or previously, he has his moments even after all these years. Still enjoy his videos.

Yong Yeah is pretty much a hack and a fear monger who jumps on the latest negative topics, really difficult to listen to. Sometimes his takes are days old and already beaten to death. But he doesn't go ape shit crazy like Gordon, usually pretty in control. Reminds me of your typical shock jock.

If you want someone who will call out shit and drop some swear words, maybe RGT85.

If you want someone who will call out shit in a professional manner with technical industry and under ground knowledge, maybe MVG,

supernova8

Banned
Jim Sterling before he gave up and just coasts by on his Paterons.
Even before that most of his videos were:

- "Fuck Konami", "Fucking hate Ubisoft", "EA are wankers", "Fuck microtransactions"

or

- "Look at this garbage asset flip indie game, I'm going rip into it because I cannot bothered to critique proper games that people actually care about"

UnNamed

Banned
To get a Gordon Ramsey equivalent, this fictional person would need to be a top tier game dev to have any credibility. So no.

Imagine some wanker coming to your place of work and telling you your shit at your job but has never done it himself? Can't see that working out.
Yes.
It should be "Legendary developer shits on...".

I would say that sometimes Miyamoto had that role, in a very generic and diplomatic way of course, but according to people who work with him, he can be a pain in the ass sometime. He often criticized genres and trends in his interviews.

Fredrik

David Jaffe maybe?
Hard to take his criticism seriously after he ranted on Metroid Dread because he wanted more pointers how to progress, in a game where the focus is exploration, then was too stubborn to admit he was wrong and kept ranting about it in several videos.

Has he commented on Elden Ring btw? Must’ve been brutal considering all the genuinely vague things.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't think I know anybody well enough to say for sure. Lotta the deveelopment happens behind closed doors. I'd imagine Cliff Bleszinski or Itagaki might qualify just because of their public demeanor.

Last edited:

cireza

Is this another Sonic Frontiers hate thread from the same person in the same day with the same videos in it ?

Fredrik

I don't think I know anybody well enough to say for sure. Lotta the deveelopment happens behind closed doors. I'd imagine Cliff Bleszinski or Itagaki might qualify just because of their public demeanor.
Itagaki is definitely too much, his Tekken rants in the past were legendary lol
Hard to say about Cliff, he’s awesome because he made Gears, it’s brilliant tbh. But I’m thinking he’s got too big ego to give proper constructive criticism on other games. Not sure I want to listen to him, I’d be willing to try if he started some Youtube channel though.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Itagaki is definitely too much, his Tekken rants in the past were legendary lol
Hard to say about Cliff, he’s awesome because he made Gears, it’s brilliant tbh. But I’m thinking he’s got too big ego to give proper constructive criticism on other games. Not sure I want to listen to him, I’d be willing to try if he started some Youtube channel though.
I mean, would we call Gordon Ramsey's criticism...constructive? LOL. I would probably punch Gordon Ramsey in the face if he talked to me like that. Itagaki was legendary indeed.

Zannegan

Yahtzee Croshaw, he's intentionally cruel and deliciously creative in his insults. Schadenfreude incarnate.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I mean, would we call Gordon Ramsey's criticism...constructive? LOL. I would probably punch Gordon Ramsey in the face if he talked to me like that. Itagaki was legendary indeed.
Haha true 😅
There is an italian youtuber who likes to debunk his skills on cooking traditional italian dishes. Ramsey could apparently still learn a thing or two.

TheKratos

Haha true 😅
There is an italian youtuber who likes to debunk his skills on cooking traditional italian dishes. Ramsey could apparently still learn a thing or two.
Yeah I'm not listening to a random Tuber over a freakin Michelin star top chef.

yurinka

It should be "Legendary developer shits on..."
I don't know if Gordon Ramsey is legendary, but I'd say David Jaffe and his rants -IMO in most cases he's right, in a few don't- would be the closest.

The other candidates I see listed in the thread aren't gamedevs and have no idea about game development. In many cases as experienced gamedev I found people like Jim Sterling, Yatzee, Angry Joe or Angry Videogame Nerd embarassing clowns that they didn't know what they were talking about with some unfair huge criticism (same happened with some mainstream media in some cases).

But well, Jaffe mostly says stuff that makes sense in a polite manner. Sometimes I don't agree him but still then he has an understandable opinion and makes totally valid points.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I'm not sure there are any videogame reviewers that have made multiple 85+ rated games. Games are very, very complex anyway, it's not as small as running a kitchen, so I don't think there's anyone that can look at everything in a game and intelligently go and tell everyone what they are doing wrong while ranting.

Fredrik

Yeah I'm not listening to a random Tuber over a freakin Michelin star top chef.
That’s what I thought too but then I watched a video where he had worcestershire sauce in a supposedly traditional italian dish and cooked a sauce in 2 minutes that italians cooked for 2 hours, or something like that. Could still taste delicious but calling it traditional was probably a stretch lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom