• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a Gordon Ramsey equivalent for Video Games?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I don't think AVGN counts as he reviews older games. It's like Ramsey going over a dish that was cooked 3 months ago and left on the counter slowly rotting.
The only true candidate would be David Jaffe since he actually DID make God of War before it got taken up by Cory Barlog, so he has experience in the industry. And even then judging from that metroid dread review it's safe to say the dude's gone fucking mad since.

Chronicle

You mean Jim Sterling before he became Jenny Sterling!
vGFhHBv.jpg

I Master l

Banned
Jesus Christ, just checked and they are trans now. There is way too huge of a frequency of this in gaming for it to be natural and not a form of a social contagion. I’m into fighting games and there is a huge contigent of trans people in the anime fighting community, def eyebrow raising.
As a pharmacist i can say antipsychotic-depression drugs seriously miss up people hormones and fellings

20cent

Banned
Then someone who also worked in the industry (as a dev/designer/etc).. because being youtuber or journalist ≠ making videogames

so...Phil Fish?

Wildebeest

Then someone who also worked in the industry (as a dev/designer/etc).. because being youtuber or journalist ≠ making videogames

so...Phil Fish?
I would call Marcus Beer, who upset Mr Fish enough to make him quit the industry, was more like the Gordon Ramsey of gaming. Phil Fish was more like one of those Kitchen Nightmare owners who bullied his customers and employees and thought he was the god of the industry.

kyussman

I would say Jim Sterling fits the bill pretty well......I haven't watched any of his stuff since he decided he was a woman though,poor chap.

RPSleon

They would need to be able to make games really well themselves too to be the ramsey equivalent.

"Heres how you code a dodge roll you idiot sandwhich".

CosmicComet

There is none.

Jaffe is the closest but he is hardly a master of the industry himself. God of War and Twisted Metal were his creations but he hardly made them alone and he only had a hand in the very first GoW before he dipped. And his own indie creations flopped.

Miyamoto could do it if he got mean enough.

I think any game director is pretty much a "Gordon Ramsey equivalent for video games" but all the critiquing and stuff is done behind the scenes during game development instead of publicly

jaysius

Banned
Laffy Jaffe thinks he's Gordon Ramsay but he's really just an old man yelling at clouds who burned all the legacy goodwill he made with his last awful game. But he comes the closest as Ramsay insults food that's cooked poorly and also makes high quality food.

davidjaffe davidjaffe would be Ramsay of gaming if he didn't go out on that god awful Drawn to Death game.

Hugare

AVGN, Dunkey, Angry Joe and tons of many other no names on Youtube

And they are as tiresome to consume on a daily/weekly basis as a Gordon Ramsey channel would be of him just saying shit about other people's food.

It works for Gordon due to tv format, and deep down he is a cool guy (if you watch Masterchef, you know)

Neilg

To get a Gordon Ramsey equivalent, this fictional person would need to be a top tier game dev to have any credibility. So no.

Imagine some wanker coming to your place of work and telling you your shit at your job but has never done it himself? Can't see that working out.
There are a few producers out there who have a reputation as fixers. They don't run a YouTube channel where they publicly shame their coworkers though because that would be pretty bad for morale.

clarky

Gold Member
There are a few producers out there who have a reputation as fixers. They don't run a YouTube channel where they publicly shame their coworkers though because that would be pretty bad for morale.
I have no idea what this means......

Neilg

I have no idea what this means......
A fixer is someone who can fix shit that isn't going as well as it could be. The entire premise of Ramsey's show is that he goes in and fixes shit. There are people in the games industry who have a good reputation as producers who can help something get shipped.

A.Romero

I'm not a big fan but at least to me the interesting factor about Ramsey is that he is a true and proven expert and on top of that he is an entertaining critic. None of the youtubers posted so far are experts in anything but making entertaining videos.

Shitting on someone's work is very easy.

Shitting on someone's work while being entertaining not so easy.

Shitting on someone's work proving that you can do it better is where the true god tier is.

I can't even imagine what successful game designer could actually go and truly destroy another studio's work and be entertaining at the same time.

Fbh

Not really. These youtubers are more like the equivalent of Uncle Roger.
There's, as far as I know, no one who is actually an accomplished and successful game developer criticizing what others are doing.

Belthazar

This person from the videos is just some sad dude in a basement complaining about things he knows nothing about and would never be capable of doing. So no, unless you're an active top tier game developer you can't be the Gordon Ramsay or games.

BEERBEER

Neo Member
David Jaffe - game designer & joker
(God of War, Twisted Metal)

Here's a few examples:
"Being accused of making up the tencent thing. Man, I am so sorry some of you guys have been so harmed by the media (I get it) that you don't know who to trust. But love, like, or hate me, I don't lie. And I always save the receipts:"

God of War director calls PlayStation ‘uptight motherf*****s’ after lesbian joke account suspension​

A Follow-Up with David Jaffe About that Oral Sex Remark​

God of War 1 Director David Jaffe asks: "Where Tha Sexy Video Game Ladies At?!?"​

GOD OF WAR CREATOR, DAVID JAFFE, CONDEMNS SJW CENSORSHIP RUINING COLLEGES​

“Twisted Metal” Creator David Jaffe Does Not Want Racist People’s Money​

Couldn't find the article on financial gains used on alcohol & strippers...​

Last edited:

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Yes.
It should be "Legendary developer shits on...".

I would say that sometimes Miyamoto had that role, in a very generic and diplomatic way of course, but according to people who work with him, he can be a pain in the ass sometime. He often criticized genres and trends in his interviews.
Tbf its hard to not be at least a bit of a dick when you’re actual job is to review peoples work and in certain cases, tell them that what they’ve done isn’t good enough or wrong or just need to be better.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
David Jaffe - game designer & joker
(God of War, Twisted Metal)

Here's a few examples:
"Being accused of making up the tencent thing. Man, I am so sorry some of you guys have been so harmed by the media (I get it) that you don't know who to trust. But love, like, or hate me, I don't lie. And I always save the receipts:"
[/URL]

God of War director calls PlayStation ‘uptight motherf*****s’ after lesbian joke account suspension​

[/URL]​

A Follow-Up with David Jaffe About that Oral Sex Remark​

[/URL]​

God of War 1 Director David Jaffe asks: "Where Tha Sexy Video Game Ladies At?!?"​

GOD OF WAR CREATOR, DAVID JAFFE, CONDEMNS SJW CENSORSHIP RUINING COLLEGES​

[/URL]​

“Twisted Metal” Creator David Jaffe Does Not Want Racist People’s Money​

[/URL]​

Couldn't find the article on financial gains used on alcohol & strippers...​

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. I can imagine a lot of people were triggered when they heard or read this interview.

Its a topic I find very interesting. I definitely see both sides of the argument. And they both have some merit.

I guess for me it comes down to context and necessity. Was it really necessary to allow the player to zoom into the exposed cleavage of a female character in MGS? I can’t help but come to the conclusion of ‘No’.

Was it necessary to have her cleavage exposed in the first place? Maybe not, but that’s how they wrote her. So maybe its ok. If a dev wants to write an npc as a woman who shows cleavage, some people might not like that, but that’s up to the dev.

Zoomingin on that cleavage? …. Dunno

Shigeru Miyamoto is known to be very critical. There are multiple stories of him "upending tea tables" and completely changing the directions of projects when he doesn't like what he sees. (This is a figurative expression in Japan. He doesn't actually flip tables over.)

In his own words:
When people look at me, I think they probably imagine that I’m very nice. But if you asked the people on the front lines, those who actually work with me, they might say that I’m very picky, or that I always comment on their work. I’ve had the pleasure of growing up in an environment where people praised me. But I’m aware that there is a feeling, among people who work with me, that they do not receive adequate praise, that I’m always fastidious about their work.

nkarafo

The problem with most (if not all) internet personalities whose gimmick is to roast video-games, is that they know very little about videogames. AVGN, for instance, is what most would call, a casual gamer. They are only knowlegable enough on things they grew up with (certain consoles or games) and they are also completely clueless when it comes to technical stuff. In fact, every game collector channel, with those massive collections in the background, the endless shelves filled with games, the rooms full of console boxes of various different packs, limited editions, etc, are clueless when it comes to technical stuff.

The channels who know their stuff are mostly the positive ones who are afraid to use too much negativity even on shit games. Like Digital Foundry, for instance.

Top Bottom