• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Islamist Extremists celebrate Trump win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman

Anyone who uses methods of brutally murdering to respond to disagreement deserves zero fucking respect to have any considered role in anything whatsoever. It shouldn't fucking matter what radicalises them more from the point of view America standing by democracy and the political system it has is far more important than than saying "we better think about the terrorists".

How can anyone hope to counteract recruitment and radicalization if one does not even attempt to understand the underlying reasons for why it works?

Dr.Acula

Banned
Trump "reveals the true mentality of the Americans, and their racism toward Muslims and Arabs and everything. He reveals what his predecessors used to conceal. So his victory further exposes America and its appendages.”

Doesn't al-Qaeda know that by calling Trump supporters racist, that it just emboldens his base and drives people away from Hillary? al-Qaeda is so out of touch and in their own bubble.

Audioboxer

How can anyone hope to counteract recruitment and radicalization if one does not even attempt to understand the underlying reasons for why it works?

We already largely know why. All we can do is try to cut it off if it's homegrown, and if something like Twitter is being used get them to actually ban ISIS accounts.

If that is the logic you want to live by then Trump isn't even President yet and hasn't made any of those decisions as of yet that you speak of. I don't say this to support Trump but point out the fallacy in you doing as the terrorists are. Conflating Trumps ridiculous outbursts with actual hard evidence of destruction such as Bush's illegal war.
Oh so we just have to wait till Trump starts waterboarding people. Which he said we should. I see.
We already largely know why. All we can do is try to cut it off if it's homegrown, and if something like Twitter is being used get them to actually ban ISIS accounts.
And you don't think they will communicate and spread their recruitment elsewhere after Twitter bans them?

orochi91

It shouldn't fucking matter what radicalises them more from the point of view America standing by democracy and the political system it has is far more important than than saying "we better think about the terrorists".

Every action has a consequence; the consequence of electing Trump is a likely boost to recruitment efforts if he stays true to his words and initiates anti-Muslim legislation.

ISIS hating our guts and political institutions doesn't change the fact that his presidency is exactly what they've been wanting for months now.

MUnited83

For you.
Anyone who uses methods of brutally murdering to respond to disagreement deserves zero fucking respect to have any considered role in anything whatsoever. It shouldn't fucking matter what radicalises them more from the point of view America standing by democracy and the political system it has is far more important than than saying "we better think about the terrorists".

That's one great way to fight terrorism. Let's just sing kumbaya and ignore them until they stop. Now that will work nicely I bet.

And yes, it fucking matters what radicalizes them more. Trump policies are going to fuck the US and fuck the world. Trying to not acknowledge that is just being willfully ignorant.

ISIS are not going to go away just because you want them to. Ignoring the whys and hows is dangerous as shit.

Audioboxer

Oh so we just have to wait till Trump starts waterboarding people. Which he said we should. I see.

Well if you want to talk about War, yes, it usually does require someone to actually have started a war to be guilty of it.

Every action has a consequence; the consequence of electing Trump is a likely boost to recruitment efforts if he stays true to his words and initiates anti-Muslim legislation.

ISIS hating our guts and political institutions doesn't change the fact that his presidency is exactly what they've been wanting for months now.

It doesn't matter if it's what they wanted. What matters is America got to democratically vote and it was done legally.

That's one great way to fight terrorism. Let's just sing kumbaya and ignore them until they stop. Now that will work nicely I bet.

And yes, it fucking matters what radicalizes them more. Trump policies are going to fuck the US and fuck the world. Trying to not acknowledge that is just being willfully ignorant.

ISIS are not going to go away just because you want them to. Ignoring the whys and hows is dangerous as shit.

To say that's what I said shows your disengenious engagement. We have counter intelligence agencies to try and prevent terrorism, and largely they work fairly well. Home grown terrorism is harder to tackle though, hence something like Orlando.

MUnited83

For you.
Well if you want to talk about War, yes, it usually does require someone to actually have started a war to be guilty of it.

It doesn't matter if it's what they wanted. What matters is America got to democratically vote and it was done legally.

To say that's what I said shows your disengenious engagement. We have counter intelligence agencies to try and prevent terrorism, and largely they work fairly well. Home grown terrorism is harder to tackle though, hence something like Orlando.
I'm sure your tactic of ignoring radicalization will do wonders against home grown terrorism.

Flo_Evans

You're wrong. You have no freaking clue about what's going on inside the conflict zones, do you?

Which is exactly what Obama is doing?

Naw I'm talking about bombing. Not drone strikes.

Yeah long term it's a losing strategy. Terrorism is an effective tactic and will always be used. But we have he capacity to bomb the hell out of every last one of them. I am sure collateral damage will be quite high, but the current tactics have the same problems. We should never have let them get this out of control in the 1st place.

I really think we do need to do something different. I'm not sure what. But I'm not gonna complain if Trump bombs the shit out of them.

Roman

Not to talk down to you, but this seems to be a severely simplified viewpoint of the situation. Radical Islamists are people. They weren't born radicals. Something about their environment caused them to develop grievances. These grievances were capitalized on by recruiters.

Fighting terrorism isn't just about nuking a particular area. It is combating dangerous ideas, concepts, causes - and that is very difficult. If one truly wants to cut radicalization off at the root, it is important to actually get to the bottom of it. And that's impossible without understanding the underlying driving factors.

Audioboxer

I'm sure your tactic of ignoring radicalization will do wonders against home grown terrorism.

Again, not ignoring it. Neither is the US government ignoring it. Work is done everyday to try and prevent it. Life goes on though, and America isn't going to stop holding, and honouring elections because of ISIS.

The only thing I challenged in here is lifting a quote from a terrorist to act like his words have the same weight as if coming from an American citizen.

Not to talk down to you, but this seems to be a severely simplified viewpoint of the situation. Radical Islamists are people. They weren't born radicals. Something about their environment caused them to develop grievances.

Fighting terrorism isn't just about nuking a particular area. It is combating dangerous ideas, concepts, causes - and that is very difficult. If one truly wants to cut radicalization off at the root, it is important to actually get to the bottom of it. And that's impossible without understanding the underlying driving factors.

In any attempt to understand it and challenge it Western values should not be compromised because of fear or what ifs.

Alo0oy

Banned
It's not just ISIS, the alt right in the Middle East is ecstatic, the younger generation is leaning much more liberal and secular than they anticipated, this helps them combat that movement. I don't think it's going to work though.

orochi91

I don't think anyone in this thread is asking America to cast its election results aside and vote again; that ship has sailed, Trump is the President.

What matters is that the decisions those voters made will have long-term consequences, especially if he implements his campaign agendas regarding Muslims.

Terrorists stand to gain much more from his presidency than Clintons, I'd wager, and that's something even they recognize, as evidenced by their commentary throughout the election campaign and recruitment videos.

MUnited83

For you.
Again, not ignoring it. Neither is the US government ignoring it. Work is done everyday to try and prevent it. Life goes on though, and America isn't going to stop holding, and honouring elections because of ISIS.

The only thing I challenged in here is lifting a quote from a terrorist to act like his words have the same weight as if coming from an American citizen.

In any attempt to understand it and challenge it Western values should not be compromised because of fear or what ifs.

Nobody is telling you to stop elections in the US. People are telling you the facts, the consequences a Trump presidency comes with. Just ignoring those facts is really, really dangerous.

Democracy matters a lot less than the effects it will have in the entire world geopolitically. Hide behind the integracy of democracy all you want, but thanks to Trump the whole world is fucked and millions of lives are at risk. Putin will do whatever the fuck he wants, global warming will be accelarated as hell. The US people did the worst decision of their lifetimes.

I dont want to talk about war. We have detainees all across the world.
Naw I'm talking about bombing. Not drone strikes.

Yeah long term it's a losing strategy. Terrorism is an effective tactic and will always be used. But we have he capacity to bomb the hell out of every last one of them. I am sure collateral damage will be quite high, but the current tactics have the same problems. We should never have let them get this out of control in the 1st place.
oh bomb them. Like you mean their families? What about civilian centers?

Fair enough if it sits right with anyone to think words coming from such a source are "true", and there isn't another more obvious agenda, it's just care about American minority citizens, that's on you.

Are you purposefully being obtuse? The fact that what he is saying is frightening because it's true. It has NOTHING to do with thinking he cares about anything other than furthering his extremist views, and that's the WHOLE POINT of why it's terrifying that what he is saying is actually true. Of course he gives zero fucks about America. But when a terrorist doesn't have to lie or distort facts to spread his message, there is a huge problem. Burying your head in the sand is not the right option.

Audioboxer

Nobody is telling you to stop elections in the US. People are telling you the facts, the consequences a Trump presidency comes with. Just ignoring those facts is really, really dangerous.

The facts right now is Donald Trump isn't even President in office till next year, so in terms of policy and law that is where the line is drawn as of now. Assumptions and what ifs are fine to make, but if you're rebuttal to me is I'm being "told facts" in this topic I stand my ground on my remarks on fucking ISIS.

I know American wounds are high at Donald fucking Trump, but this topic and some responses have done me in.

Are you purposefully being obtuse? The fact that what he is saying is frightening because it's true. It has NOTHING to do with thinking he cares about anything other than furthering his extremist views, and that's the WHOLE POINT of why it's terrifying that what he is saying is actually true. Of course he gives zero fucks about America. But when a terrorist doesn't have to lie or distort facts to spread his message, there is a huge problem. Burying your head in the sand is not the right option.

They are always lying and distorting, bloody hell. I am not burying my head, I'm not giving them any respect or care as they are not genuine citizens. They kill people, in their own countries, and abroad.

Trump " Why dont we just drone them?" heckle heckle.

General: "sir. We dont know where they are and if we did we might have civilian casualties"

Trump shrug "Just bomb the fuxk out of them and tell the Russians to bomb with us"

General: but sir....

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's hard to swallow, isn't it? The fact that someone/a group so vile can say something so right about your country because of the actions your country yourselves took.

MUnited83

For you.
The facts right now is Donald Drumpf isn't even President in office till next year, so in terms of policy and law that is where the line is drawn as of now. Assumptions and what ifs are fine to make, but if you're rebuttal to me is I'm being "told facts" in this topic I stand my ground on my remarks on fucking ISIS.

I know American wounds are high at Donald fucking Drumpf, but this topic and some responses have done me in.

If you think Trump will magically reverse all the shit he said he would do and essentially become a liberal president, you're just burying your head further down the sand. He literally got elected because he's anti-muslim. He's not going to change.

The facts right now is Donald Drumpf isn't even President in office till next year, so in terms of policy and law that is where the line is drawn as of now. Assumptions and what ifs are fine to make, but if you're rebuttal to me is I'm being "told facts" in this topic I stand my ground on my remarks on fucking ISIS.

I know American wounds are high at Donald fucking Drumpf, but this topic and some responses have done me in.

They are always lying and distorting, bloody hell. I am not burying my head, I'm not giving them any respect or care as they are not genuine citizens. They kill people, in their own countries, and abroad.
You can remove the statement from them entirely, and it will still be a true fact.Me and others have known this wayyyy before ISIS ever talked about it.

Audioboxer

If you think Trump will magically reverse all the shit he said he would do and essentially become a liberal president, you're just burying your head further down the sand.

I didn't say become a liberal president. I said stick to your word, if I'm being told facts, you stick to facts as well. Not your belief of what comes next, as we aren't even at the position of him being in charge and putting out policy.

I also don't know why you edited Trump in my post, I didn't say Drumpf. Anyway I'm out. I'm thoroughly disappointed to have been involved in a topic about terrorism and ISIS in this way on GAF. Like I said I can sympathise till the end of time about Trump but I cannot stomach this anymore. Some of you go on arguing as you are, we'll just have to respectfully disagree and call it a day. My PMs are open if you really want to say anything else to me.

MUnited83

For you.
I didn't say become a liberal president. I said stick to your word, if I'm being told facts, you stick to facts as well. Not your belief of what comes next, as we aren't even at the position of him being in charge and putting out policy.

I also don't know why you edited Drumpf in my post, I didn't say Drumpf. Anyway I'm out. I'm thoroughly disappointed to have been involved in a topic about terrorism and ISIS in this way on GAF. Like I said I can sympathise till the end of time about Drumpf but I cannot stomach this anymore. Some of you go on arguing as you are, we'll just have to respectfully disagree and call it a day. My PMs are open if you really want to say anything else to me.

Do you really think there's a chance in hell Trump won't push back against muslims? After being elected on the promise he would. On a system where all branches are republican?

You're in for a rude awakening.

I also don't know why you edited Trump in my post, I didn't say Drumpf. Anyway I'm out. I'm thoroughly disappointed to have been involved in a topic about terrorism and ISIS in this way on GAF. Like I said I can sympathise till the end of time about Trump but I cannot stomach this anymore. Some of you go on arguing as you are, we'll just have to respectfully disagree and call it a day. My PMs are open if you really want to say anything else to me.

"i cant defend trump from his own words. i'm leaving! you liberal ninnies!"

No one's going to pm you.

That is precisely the point I'm making. Normally they lie, or spread false information. But they are right in what they are saying about Donald Trump and the influence he could have on the Muslim people and how more might radicalize because of him. That is why it's such a sad and frustrating realization that in this instance an Islamic extremist is telling the truth. To acknowledge it isn't justifying or lending credibility to that person or the cause, it should be a wake up call to Americans.

Please stop misconstruing what I and others are saying when we say he's right and it's terrible. It's not an endorsement of him, but a repudiation of America's decision to elect Trump.

orochi91

I legit don't know where you've taken this conversation.

The terrorists in the OP didn't say anything factually outlandish or even exaggerate; they were hoping for a Trump win for months now, and they got it.

Trumps own declarations against Muslims throughout the election campaign is a boon for these extremist groups, with regards to recruitment, and if he makes good on his words regarding actual anti-Muslim policies, then these terrorist groups will benefit even more.

It's literally that straightforward, lol

Cipherr

And such a guys intention is not worldwide peace, acceptance and integration of communities. It matters where remarks come from.

Still doesn't make the remarks any less fucking true. I have no idea what you are trying to get at. But the statement is still accurate, no matter how disgusting the source.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

The terrorists in the OP didn't say anything factually outlandish or even exaggerate; they were hoping for a Trump win for months now, and they got it.

Trumps own declarations against Muslims throughout the election campaign is a boon for these extremist groups, with regards to recruitment, and if he makes good on his words regarding actual anti-Muslim policies, then these terrorist groups will benefit even more.

Still doesn't make the remarks any less fucking true. I have no idea what you are trying to get at. But the statement is still accurate, no matter how disgusting the source.

Guys, he's already running out of the room complaining.about he can't stomach you folks any longer.

MUnited83

For you.
"i cant defend trump from his own words. i'm leaving! you liberal ninnies!"

No one's going to pm you.

Hey now! A islamophobe president, elected on a islamophobe platform, by islamophobe voters, that has a islamophobe cabinet, is totally going to be a really awesome non-bigoted all-for-equality president. I mean, it makes perfect sense.

Hey Audioboxer, come back and defend this
Vaughn Sterling ‏@vplus 3h3 hours ago

JUST IN: Sen Tom Cotton to CNN: "Waterboarding isn't torture..Donald Trump is a pretty tough guy and he's ready to make those tough calls"

MUnited83

For you.

The terrorists in the OP didn't say anything factually outlandish or even exaggerate; they were hoping for a Drumpf win for months now, and they got it.

Drumpfs own declarations against Muslims throughout the election campaign is a boon for these extremist groups, with regards to recruitment, and if he makes good on his words regarding actual anti-Muslim policies, then these terrorist groups will benefit even more.

Yep. Not realizing this is literally like willingly putting a blindfold on your eyes so you don't have to see anything.

WaterAstro

Hey Audioboxer, come back and defend this

How about this kind of torture?

VwlewlM.jpg

Yeah it's a John Oliver ep on torture.

Sami+

Do you mean Americans towards Muslims? I agree. What better way to show that you Americans hate us than to elect someone that shouted so loudly that he will ban us to become your president?

If there's one thing this election did for me it's solidify the growing "us vs. them" sentiment I've felt towards conservative Whites. It doesn't feel right because I know reverse racism is a thing, but it's hard not to when it's made so clear that they truly hate us and don't want us here.

mjp2417

Banned
This is actually a more cogent analysis of Trump's likely impact on key foreign policy concerns than you could find anywhere on cable news this election cycle and its coming from fucking ISIS. We're all fucked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom