• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s official G4 Network is dead

EXCLUSIVE: Comcast's Spectacor division is pulling the plug on video game-centric network G4 TV, whose early incarnation in the 2000s remains a cultural touchstone for many millennials, just a year after its relaunch.

In a memo to be sent to staffers, Spectacor CEO Dave Scott said the company's investment and efforts to revive the network just didn't gain traction.

A few dozen employees and contract workers are affected by the shutdown. Comcast said it will assist them with outplacement and consider some for internal opportunities.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

HTK

Banned
G4 and all other programs that used to be on TV were great for back in the day. Now, all of the gaming content is on YouTube and Twitch and more informed gamers/content creators for specific games that deliver on that. They are basically useless in todays age.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think they nailed Attack of the Show. X-Play had all the wrong hosts. In the end that Frosk woman and whatever producers thought it would be a good idea to let her scream at a strawman killed it before it had a chance to grow. I remember watching their streams with like 13k people, growing each week. Then she went on her rant. Shit started to die a little bit every day after. So sad.

Thabass

Was it ever truly alive?

It sucks though. I really wanted it to do well. But it just... wasn't necessary nor was it done well.

That and the whole Frosk situation. Just all messy and not very good.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Sucks. I wouldnt necessarily celbrate the re-death of G4. It wasnt for me, but I never had a problem with the current version

And nothing of value was lost. G4 died a long time ago, long before it was cancelled the first time.

I would blame Frosk but even without her idiocy G4 was fucked right out of the gate. G4 died because other people do gaming coverage much better and instead of trying to work with those people, they brought back all the TV people. I always liked Kevin, but he's a straight up TV man. Look at the camera and deliver the script. Jirard was about the only person there I believe actually gave a shit about games and looked taken off-guard when Frosk decided to shit out her rant. Sessler has huge issues and I doubt he ever cared outside it being a living. He only got his job the first time by bullshitting his way through an interview. His big hand clap after Frosk fucked them all over was a perfect example of how daft he is.

Last edited:
This dude nailed it -

When you alienate 95% of your audience for the fuckwad 5% you're going out of business. G4/Frosk were knee deep in going for the current trend PC crowd, she doubled down with it and broke the whole show/network. Just focus on games for your core audience and leave all the other shit out of it. You're the network, filter that shit out not engage with it. Stupid leadership to push G4 the way they did, it could have had plenty of room for a solid gaming network/show return. The audience was willing to give things a go.

It's a melancholy record of why other talent and show/network staff shouldn't just go along with the PC bullshit, challenge it as much as they challenge you and hopefully that middle ground can be found where all can be happy and/or entertained. When the producers and cast of that show cannot rope in one of their own, you've got a rogue element fucking with your scheduled program.

It was scripted, and the producers were well aware of that segment's intention.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Was it ever truly alive?

It sucks though. I really wanted it to do well. But it just... wasn't necessary nor was it done well.

That and the whole Frosk situation. Just all messy and not very good.

Before Frosk went on her rant some of their streams were in the 20k levels. I remember watching an Attack show right before that and it was like 24k. She, and the producers who let her loose, killed it. Fucking sad to see.

Frankly it was moribund from day one just from the simple fact of being owned by Comcast.

Comcast being a cable company first and foremost. They wanted G4's online presence to push TV subscriptions , which anyone with a half a functioning brain could tell you was not going to happen.

Top Bottom