• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

it seems that Xbox is still advertising 60 Fps on the Redfall physical box for Xbox Series

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Interesting take, I don't think I've heard anyone say that before.
That is the general sentiment, isn't it? The character models, lightning, missing ambient occlusion, low-poly textures, etc. do not really look next-gen to me. Even if we compare it with other co-op games from previous gen, those look better than Redfall to me.

Genuine question: do you think it's visually impressive to be a current-gen exclusive title?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Colt Eastwood has been talkin to people reviewing Redfall. He thinks it will end up in high 60's or low 70's on metacritic. Yikes!
I hope not. Its a great studio and even if I can't play the game on current devices I want Arkane to do well. I'd rather a Prey sequel than this to be honest, I'd be more inclined to upgrade my shit PC.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I hope not. Its a great studio and even if I can't play the game on current devices I want Arkane to do well. I'd rather a Prey sequel than this to be honest, I'd be more inclined to upgrade my shit PC.
As morbid and awful as it sounds, you're more likely to get a Prey sequel if Redfall flops. Otherwise, they will keep updating Redfall, add monetization options down the road, and make it a live-service game to be supported for years.

And then comes Redfall 2.

Having said that, I wish Arkane the best of luck.

Last edited:

Banned
Definitely not useless. Video games compared to other medias(movies, TV ect) are much less subjective. Any decent AAA should easily cross 70 metacritic. If RedFall is in the 60's then yikes

yet we have the best immersive sim in 15+ years sitting at an 82, and a buggy mess of a game with constant stutters at an 87
and I took the scores for the best rated versions of both btw, this means the 82 for Prey was the extremely technically solid PC version.

game reviews are bullshit, conducted by people who play on the lowest difficulty, rushing through the game to have a review ready for the deadline.

simpatico

There were some turnds floating around that engine as far back as Disohonored 2. Remember the abysmal perf when it launched, and never really got fixed on PC. Cards just became powerful enough to brute force it. In that case there was a really good game underneath the perf probs.

Riky

$MSFT
I suspect they knew the performance mode was not stable enough, hovering between 40-60 fps, and decided to cut it out at the last minute. I wonder if it was the correct decision. Maybe they should have followed the Jedi Survivor approach, with an abismal perf mode at launch that has avoided them 2 weeks of bad press and criticism even BEFORE launch.

Best to be upfront and honest in my opinion, 60fps is coming we just don't know how long, a week? A month? Any longer than a month and it's a problem. More importantly for launch they better make sure the 30fps mode is properly framepaced, if so it will still be a smooth experience and that's better than an awful performance mode like Jedi.
Also if they have it in the 45-60fps range just enable the performance mode for VRR users and label it as such.
But the most important thing at launch is framepacing.

Last edited:
None of this effort seems less than making the game 60 FPS.

They should have spent the time adding all PC settings to the menus of the Series' versions. It would have been a celebrated landmark title and technically 60 FPS.

Banned
I suspect they knew the performance mode was not stable enough, hovering between 40-60 fps, and decided to cut it out at the last minute. I wonder if it was the correct decision. Maybe they should have followed the Jedi Survivor approach, with an abismal perf mode at launch that has avoided them 2 weeks of bad press and criticism even BEFORE launch.

they should just have a toggle that unlocks the framerate no matter what.

UE4 games at 30fps are disgusting. the input lag is usually above 200ms.

Klosshufvud

They can't even commit to a date regarding its 60 fps patch. What is this team even doing that it can't even promise a single deadline anymore?

TVexperto

Aye guys, lemme tell ya why 30fps is more than enuff on our sick OLED TVs. It's all about the smoothness, man. Like, our brains can't even tell the difference after a certain point, ya know? Plus, the OLED panel's response time makes it look even smoother than it really is, it's like magic

/s

Last edited:
I mean we literally know this game was headed for PlayStation plus Xbox and PC as a multi plat until MS bought Bethesda and yoinked it away. So it's being watched closely along with Starfield as a test for how successful the MS monopolist strategy of buying 3rd parties and taking their previously multi plat titles away from PS will be.

I think you're reaching here. Red Fall and Starfield aren't the only games MS acquired, and no one cared about Red Fall until the controversies started and now everyone does all for the wrong reason. My point was that this is unusually heightended attention that could possibly beneficial for the game if people are buying just to experience the supposed train wreck they are expecting based on the vitral toward it so far. In reality, it will probably be an average game.

Top Bottom