• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall is launching on Xbox consoles with Quality mode only (4K30FPS) - 60fps to be patched in at some future point

Bernardougf

Gold Member
You know what Adam ? Just yesterday, I gave Horizon's FW "balanced" aka 40fps mode a go and : the 40fps settings feels like the normal 30fps of yore when you play on OLED.
The 30fps ones are a stuttery mess, the 40fps one though is actually smooth without the ever-other-frame stutter introduced due to an OLED's instant response time, it's actually kinda weird, again, it didn't feel like I was playing at +10 frames per second, it felt like I was playing a normally paced 30fps game on a LED/LCD TV without the stutters.
Exactly this ... 40 fps (on oled) feels like a "more polished" 30 fps .... couldn't use it anyway ... 60 fps is just better

He initially talked about the game being amazing and even made a compilation to try and "disprove" that the game is bad after the IGN First footage came out.

Now he's doing a u-turn and talking about how the game runs badly on PC (despite also saying he posted what he did before because he signed a massive NDA, which I am honestly thinking he might have violated when he said the game runs bad on PC).

He's honestly a clown and I have zero clue why Microsoft has a media strategy that relies on people like him at all!
MS got caught last gen with the whole #XB1MS13 scandal. They're all for buttering up their most delusional. I think they're being really choosy about who reviews their games too. Their biggest games get less than half the reviews of a big playstation game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You know what Adam ? Just yesterday, I gave Horizon's FW "balanced" aka 40fps mode a go and : the 40fps settings feels like the normal 30fps of yore when you play on OLED.
The 30fps ones are a stuttery mess, the 40fps one though is actually smooth without the ever-other-frame stutter introduced due to an OLED's instant response time, it's actually kinda weird, again, it didn't feel like I was playing at +10 frames per second, it felt like I was playing a normally paced 30fps game on a LED/LCD TV without the stutters.

Basically,for OLED TVs, 40 fps is a necessity and not a luxury or "balance" thing when dealing with lower than 60fos games

I'm not fortunate to have an OLED tv so can't relate with personal experience, but on my 32" 120hz, 4K monitor.. 40hz feels a hell of a lot smoother than 30, to me at least.

40hz fidelity modes should be a thing going forward now. I'm all for it.

FBeeEye

Banned
The more I think about it, the more the reeks of Arkane/MS needing an excuse to delay the game a couple of months. They release a Tweet about the game only supporting 30 fps at launch to stir up a wasps nest.

Within the next week we'll see another tweet:

"Redfall fans, we heard you. After much serious debate and consideration, we've decided to push back our release date to the near future, the date to be determined. We know this will be a huge disappointment for some, but his was a difficult decision that we didn't take lightly, and we really want to make the world of Redfall the best it can be. We can't wait for you to jump into the immersive world of Redfall and bite back!"

Doing it this way will help tamp down the disappointment of yet another delay.

DaGwaphics

The footage so far has all painted a genuine open world, not a corridor fest ala Crysis 2, if that's what you mean.. Redfall's world is 27k square meters, i-e around 17 square miles. For reference, Skyrim is 15 square miles, and despite Ubisoft boasting a 1 : 1 recreation of DC, the playable areas of The Division 2 are 11.4 square km (around 5 square mile if google is to be believed).

It's a pretty big game world and un-tethered 4 player co-op would naturally incur some cost. Cost enough that they haven't been able to get it to 60 at launch but will likely make necessary CPU culling related cuts to get it there via updates.

And once again, Back 4 Blood is not even a viable comparison. It just feels like you're purposefully making that comparison because of some perceived similarity in the games art styles.

That's why it's pointless to sit back and talk about what game should run at this or that when we don't know what is going on under the hood. Yes, we can all poke fun at games like Gotham Knights, etc. But it might not always be a visual/GPU thing, could be CPU related like you mention. The game could be doing some things differently from last-gen games in regards to CPU utilization, etc.

Obviously, they think they will be able to hit 60 in the future but it needs more work first. It is what it is.

The more I think about it, the more the reeks of Arkane/MS needing an excuse to delay the game a couple of months. They release a Tweet about the game only supporting 30 fps at launch to stir up a wasps nest.

Within the next week we'll see another tweet:

"Redfall fans, we heard you. After much serious debate and consideration, we've decided to push back our release date to the near future, the date to be determined. We know this will be a huge disappointment for some, but his was a difficult decision that we didn't take lightly, and we really want to make the world of Redfall the best it can be. We can't wait for you to jump into the immersive world of Redfall and bite back!"

Doing it this way will help tamp down the disappointment of yet another delay.
i have seen that conspiracy theory here and there.....pretty dumb.

I don't know all of them but Ybarra has said Xbox sent out free goodies for the "loyal" ones "to influence positive affinity" and pretty sure I shared those receipts to the mods here saying as much

I would of rejected it. I don’t like the idea of having to placate people or feel obliged to not speak my mind and if anything it would tell me things aren’t right if they feel they have to do things like that.

That guy in the tweet has been very arrogant a few times to me on here. I welcome difference of opinion but not how he goes about it. His attitude fucking stinks.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

- SNIP -

Good lord people. They aren't delaying a game a little over two weeks out over a 60FPS patch. Are you crazy? Who would even buy such a reason.

Man, this game has done a doozy on the gaming community.

FBeeEye

Banned
Good lord people. They aren't delaying a game a little over two weeks out over a 60FPS patch. Are you crazy? Who would even buy such a reason.

Man, this game has done a doozy on the gaming community.
What the hell have you seen of this game that tells you that it's ready? Where is the "Redfall has gone gold" announcement?

I'm damn near willing to do a ban bet over this game getting delayed. They had Xbox influencers play a buggy build on PC just a couple of weeks ago. This game isn't coming in hot, it's not even thawed out yet.

Delay announcement coming tomorrow or next week. They've got their excuse.

The other issue I don't think I've seen anyone brought up here yet, is if even if Microsoft decided to delay Redfall until later this summer to give them additional time to include a 60 fps mode, is there even any guarantee that Arkane would be able to successfully include the 60 fps mode by then?

Like, let's just say Microsoft delays Redfall and designates the new release date for the game on August 22, 2023, and by early August it's apparent that Arkane is still having major issues and aren't close to figuring out the 60 fps issue, does Microsoft once again delays the game any further at that point or just go ahead and release the game by then? It would just scream incompetence by management at either the studio or the Xbox executive level, and would have just proven that it was pointless to delay the game from May.

So no, if they're still having major issues attempting to resolve the 60 fps mode for Redfall, I think the game just needs to be released in a few weeks and let the cards fall where do and just deal with the consequences, and folks will need to cross their fingers that the patch at least arrives by the end of the year.

Topher

Gold Member

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

DaGwaphics

I think the backlash of the promised patch stems from the promises made with Halo Infinite.

There is no "backlash" here in a measurable way. Don't over state the importance of a few thousand loudmouths on the internet. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This won't be the first or the last 30fps game released. To those so perturbed, quit crying and deal with it.

The overwhelming majority of players that will play this game are currently unaware that a 60fps patch is even needed or promised.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
The more I think about it, the more the reeks of Arkane/MS needing an excuse to delay the game a couple of months.
Release date was announced less than 3 months ago.

I don't think this game will be delayed, furthermore, I think that it shouldn't be delayed, a delay doesn't guarantee that the game will perform better (both technically and financially), and would only add dev costs. It's a bad situation but that's probably the best option. Hollowing out the 1P AAA releases in the lead-up to Starfield is not a great look and they need 1P things to stay in the console sales game.

There is no "backlash" here in a measurable way. Don't over state the importance of a few thousand loudmouths on the internet. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This won't be the first or the last 30fps game released. To those so perturbed, quit crying and deal with it.

The overwhelming majority of players that will play this game are currently unaware that a 60fps patch is even needed or promised.
When they announce a delay or 60fps at launch, ur gonna look like a fool, mark my words.

Topher

Gold Member
This is a new tactic. Sony fanboys trying to get all MS games delayed. LOL

A first time for everyting.

Oh God Reaction GIF

DaGwaphics

When they announce a delay or 60fps at launch, ur gonna look like a fool, mark my words.

Why would I look foolish? My statement would be just as true in that case as it is now. The majority of players that will play the game are currently completely unaware of the current discussion. Just like puddle gate and other incidents before. Step out of the ultra enthusiast bubble and get some fresh air. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We see the size of the hubbub about the Harry Potter game and then saw the real world results. Now look at this blip in the news cycle for comparison. However the game ultimately fares, being 30fps isn't going to be the catalyst for any problems. The campaign of Gears 5 was 30fps for crying out loud.

Gotham Knights at 60fps would not have been a miracle cure for that game either.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What the hell have you seen of this game that tells you that it's ready? Where is the "Redfall has gone gold" announcement?

I'm damn near willing to do a ban bet over this game getting delayed. They had Xbox influencers play a buggy build on PC just a couple of weeks ago. This game isn't coming in hot, it's not even thawed out yet.

Delay announcement coming tomorrow or next week. They've got their excuse.

I'll ask again: who in the hell would buy this as an excuse? That a game that is ready to release on the stated release date that they had a showcase for. . .is getting delayed for a performance mode patch? Like, who would not see immediately through a flimsy excuse like that?

The game is going to release with the usual BETHESDA/ARKANE polish. Everyone can see that. No one is peering into their crystal balls here as we've already heard the news from the "influencers." But by hook or crook REDFALL is coming out on the 2nd and there isn't a snowballs chance they're delaying over a 60FPS patch.

. . .like why not just announce the delay without trotting out such a thin excuse?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I've always wondered what kind of work or acquintances you or other people "in the know" migh have to get those kind of infos...I'm not asking you simply because I don't want people, and especially you (meaning someone that doesn't dwell in console warring or anything) to be at risk or jeopardizing any kind of relationship they/you might have....
But I always find it fascinating, I barely know anybody in real life and even with my friend we barely talk, it is more a kind of growl followed by a series of personal jokes and insults around a beer....
For me personally it started as just about 5 of us or so were hanging out in Mike's Twitch channel chatting and essentially when he found out I was an retired MLB pitcher with 2 World Series rings we just started talking which led to us playing together which led to him inviting some of us to an E3 and hang out behind the stage with the VIPs

I know a lot of people bang on Baseball but it afforded me a lot of opportunities

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think the backlash of the promised 60FPS patch stems from the patch promises made with Halo Infinite.

what ?

the backlash of the promised patch (the patch is not the reason of the 'backlash') stems from Halo, which launched with 120 fps support, let alone 60 .. ?

what ?

they're not even remotely the same thing ..

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

For me personally it started as just about 5 of us or so were hanging out in Mike's Twitch channel chatting and essentially when he found out I was an retired MLB pitcher with 2 World Series rings we just started talking which led to us playing together which led to him inviting some of us to an E3 and hang out behind the stage with the VIPs

I know a lot of people bang on Baseball but it afforded me a lot of opportunities
2 Rings? Definitely didnt play for the Mets. 😞

I never understand why people get pissy at others who don’t want 30fps games. We don’t have underpowered laptop CPUs anymore. The hardware is modern and more than capable of it. There’s a reason 99% of devs have their games 60fps now or include options. With the push for OLED TVs now too 30fps games look like ass on them. FoV sliders on FPS games and 60fps minimum should be mandatory for them.

Lone Wolf

I bounced around a lot and never played for the Mets and hate to say this but they are one of the worst run teams in all of pro sports though Cohen seems to actually care

I played in the 1990s and old Shea Stadium so such a shithole for visiting teams as we were lucky if we even had hot water for showers
Yeah I have friends that worked for the Wilpons and the stories were always bad. Citi Field is a major improvement and Cohen actually gives a damn. Plus he didn’t lose all his money to Bernie Madoff. I have hope but the team does seem to have a curse on it. Regardless it’s nice you exited with a couple rings. Must have been an unforgettable time in your life. Cheers 🍻

Neo_game

Gfx wise it looks average at best so 4K 30fps to 1440P or dynamic 1440P at least should not be a problem. I am interested to see how it runs on something on Ryzen 3600 then if it is a cpu bottleneck that is taking them more time to optimize for 60fps.

What’ll XBOX’s real exclusive be: Hellblade 2; Senua’s Saga?

That’s the only game that causes me jealousy not coming to PS5

The way I see it there are 3 games coming for MS that are all genuinely big and exciting titles and they are: Hellblade 2, Starfield, and Forza motorsport. Aside from those I can see Gears 6 being another one.

Everything else is either too far away or has been mired in controvetsy/dev hell and i cant even take seriously- like Avowed and Perfect Dark.

The other 'sure thing' will be Outer Worlds 2.

I've never considered Redfall to be in the same category as the big 3 upcoming games. Nothing has inspired confidence about it other than Arkanes track record being solid.

Bragr

Banned

And here you are, on Neogaf talking about Redfall.

How the mighty have fallen.

I thought Klobrille thread on Twitter was excellent. Pretty much summed up how I feel about the platform the last few years.

Haven’t been much of a fan in the past however I respect him for eloquently addressing several points from games to fan feedback on dashboard/achievements/game dvr.

Last edited:
Yeah you'll need to fill me in here pls lol
They were paying YouTubers for positive and/or neutral coverage of the Xbox one. They’d put that tag in their posts to get the credit.

It’s the reason a pretty big video game YouTube site went under. I can’t remember the name atm.

DaGwaphics

If anything I am more of an Xbox guy and I personally think Redfall should be delayed until they get the 60 patch

And Starfield...

Rory Reid Omg GIF by AutoTraderUK

Would I prefer 60fps, sure. But, in MS's situation, coming off of 2022, if the game plays as it should at 30fps and performance and just the game itself are all stable at that framerate on launch day, I say release the game as it is and add the performance mode later. With even the Xbox press doing Sony's hit pieces for them over this, LOL, the last thing they need is another delay.

Now if the performance is completely unstable even at 30 and the game simply isn't finished, then, maybe you delay because putting out a mess isn't going to help business either.

So far I've liked the sound of the neighborhoods and the back story so I'm looking forward to giving it a go on the 2nd.

Last edited:
Top Bottom