• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It will be required an Internet Connection to install Star Wars: Outlaws

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
0TjRaAb.png

zyq9qoB.png

OZVCPix.png

11% is still too high. What was the percentage 4 years ago? What about 10?

Do you think it'll go up or down in the next 5 years?

11% is still too high. What was the percentage 4 years ago? What about 10?

Do you think it'll go up or down in the next 5 years?

Okay I'll bite since it looks like you don't want to take the L on this.

Here's the data for PS4:

oALQXQI.png

And the PS5 data that I've already posted:

zyq9qoB.png

Here's the link to doesitplay in case you legit want to learn about the current state of physical game media:

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
This isn't anything new. Call of Duty does this on consoles, along with plenty of Switch games. UHD physical media doesn't have enough space, and some publishers rather ignore physical game preservation over more disc's. It sucks. It's also way I moved from consoles to PC. Yeah, it's still digital on PC, but for digital media I feel more safe.

geary

Are they acknowledging they are so inept and they can't release a complete product day 1 that they need a 50gb patch to fix the garbage they peddle or do they really want to make sure they can track your every movement and make sure you ain't ever going off the grid with their product?!
20 years ago was the same, you just didn't got the patch and support and played a game on disc full with bugs.
The difference is that then you didn't care if the game was half-assed and wasn't fixed, while now twitter Karens yell because they see a info "Internet required to install the game".
Social media fucked up a lot of things....

What's on the disc?

"So it's about feeling comfortable with not owning your game."
If the disc requires you to connect to the internet to install all data including the Day One patch, then honest to God what is even the difference anymore? That's my main argument with people who are like "Physical media shall never die and there's nothing wrong with it currently". Clearly that's not the case at all, let's be real. I'm all for physical media too, I tend to prefer it, particulary for Switch, but let's call a spade a spade. It's clearly antiquated and doesn't do what you want it to do/ think it still does.

Last edited:

Nydius

This is why physical games are dead. I used to be all physical, but it's now pointless when all you're getting is a code on a disc to download the game.

I might have to download the game with the physical disk but I can resell that disk when I’m done with it. I also have multiple purchasing options rather than a single platform storefront.

Until I can do the same with a digital key on consoles, you can fuck right off with the “physical is dead” shit.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If the disc requires you to connect to the internet to install all data including the Day One patch, then honest to God what is even the difference anymore? That's my main argument with people who are like "Physical media shall never die and there's nothing wrong with it currently". Clearly that's not the case at all, let's be real. I'm all for physical media too, I tend to prefer it, particulary for Switch, but let's call a spade a spade. It's clearly antiquated and doesn't do what you want it to do/ think it still does.

YOU CAN SELL THE GAME once you are finished with it. Why is this hard for some of yall to understand?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
This is a load of hogwash. The vast majority of games come on disk and don’t require downloads to play.

At this point I honestly think theres some kind of hidden campaign for people to create a word of mouth that internet connection was never a problem so companies can safely do this. I refuse to believe people are this stupid when talking about things they own not working whenever they wanted.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
At this point I honestly think theres some kind of hidden campaign for people to create a word of mouth that internet connection was never a problem so companies can safely do this. I refuse to believe people are this stupid when talking about things they own not working whenever they wanted.
Nah, I just think some users lack a single functional brain cell.

MiguelItUp

That AAA standard. 🫠

Stuff like this really sucks for those with internet data caps. I'll always miss being able to get in front of a console on day 1, plop a disc in, and play.

Saber

Gold Member
Where, Gamestop? For a pittance. And, *for now*. LOL

Look, it's dying, it will go away. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this but it's happening.

I can name a bunch of places here that you can resell your stuff. Mercado Livre, Ebay, Enjoei, etc. And this ignoring the fact that you can hold your games indefinitivelly.

I really suggest you to reconsider this stupid cringe 9 year phrase, it does not make you look cool.

This is a load of hogwash. The vast majority of games come on disk and don’t require downloads to play.

Nah, I just think some users lack a single functional brain cell.

all those braincells and you think you can rewrite reality lol

Tell me more about how every physical game I got in the last 5 years didn't need to install

Fake

Here's the data for PS4:

oALQXQI.png

zyq9qoB.png

Here's the link to doesitplay in case you legit want to learn about the current state of physical game media:

100% this

Every game discussion we have bad faith people doing nuts pushing some shit. Was already proved many many times that offline play is the way to go, but no.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
A huge majority of games from this generation can be fully playable without downloading a patch. And you know that.

Yes, a huge majority now, but for how long?

Then there is the other issue of some publishers not releasing some games on disc at all!

I'm not a fan of digital only. I'd rather have all my games on physical disc. However, the fact is that it's becoming harder to go physical and in the future it's only going to get harder.

Sleepwalker

Here's the data for PS4:

oALQXQI.png

zyq9qoB.png

Every thread man, I'm so tired of dancing the same dance but I commend you for still having the energy to counter the bullshit arguments.

Sleepwalker

Why is that? Do you think the game will be pulled from the Playstation or Xbox store in 10 years?

If it ever hypothetically was pulled from store fronts for some sort of licensing issue, then yes, it would be unplayable legally.

81J5UAzabrL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

This game came out 10 years ago, Disney owned license, now expired. The game released in june 2013 and was delisted on Jan 2014 so it wasnt even available for a full year until it got remastered (and delisted again after lol)

You cannot purchase it digitally anymore and the only way to play it legitimately if you didn't buy it back then is to buy a disc.

There are many examples like this.

Sinfulgore

If it ever hypothetically was pulled from store fronts for some sort of licensing issue, then yes, it would be unplayable legally.
Not true. Delisting a game for licensing reasons just prevents a publisher from selling it, it doesn't make it unplayable. Most times when a game is delisted it can still be redownloaded by people who already purchased it or played if you already have the game downloaded. I feel like people here are confusing needing the internet to install and needing internet to play, these are two different things.

near

Gold Member
Not true. Delisting a game for licensing reasons just prevents a publisher from selling it, it doesn't make it unplayable. Most times when a game is delisted it can still be redownloaded by people who already purchased it or played if you already have the game downloaded. I feel like people here are confusing needing the internet to install and needing internet to play, these are two different things.
Depends on the parameters set for each instance. If you already own the digital copy, it would be playable. I'm talking about those that buy this physical copy that requires the internet, post delisting, it could possibly present a new problem. Ubisoft could prevent it from activating/downloading content, it would be within their capacity.

Top Bottom