• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It will be required an Internet Connection to install Star Wars: Outlaws

Bojji

It allows for collecting and reselling. Also, more responsible publishers could easily offer two disks for full game install lien SE is doing. At least they could do that on PS5.

Hopefully at least you don’t need an internet connection to run the game post install.

Yep, I was playing Rebirth offline from the disc to avoid patch that fucked performance mode. I didn't encounter a single bug.

Sinfulgore

This game came out 10 years ago, Disney owned license, now expired. The game released in june 2013 and was delisted on Jan 2014 so it wasnt even available for a full year until it got remastered (and delisted again after lol)

You cannot purchase it digitally anymore and the only way to play it legitimately if you didn't buy it back then is to buy a disc.

There are many examples like this.
Ok, and why is this a problem?

Depends on the parameters set for each instance. If you already own the digital copy, it would be playable. I'm talking about those that buy this physical copy that requires the internet, post delisting, it could possibly present a new problem. Ubisoft could prevent it from activating/downloading content, it would be within their capacity.
All of this is based on assumptions. It just seems so weird to me that people would get angry over assumptions they made up in their head. The game could never get delisted so none of these made-up scenarios would ever happen. You could also just buy the game when it comes out this year and play through it and what happens in 10 years won't even matter.

Last edited:
624r5h.gif

Last edited:
I have zero faith in Ubisoft actually delivering a good game anyways so it's not like this requirement changes anything, I'll be wait and see on it either way, definitely not dumb enough to buy a Ubisoft game at release

near

Gold Member
Ok, and why is this a problem?

All of this is based on assumptions. It just seems so weird to me that people would get angry over assumptions they made up in their head. The game could never get delisted so none of these made-up scenarios would ever happen. You could also just buy the game when it comes out this year and play through it and what happens in 10 years won't even matter.
It's a rational assumption. I think it's completely fine for people to be upset at publishers, especially when they implement methods that are long term hindrances to consumers, yet serve to facilitate the growth of their own distribution models. When someone buys a physical disc, it's a fair expectation that the content is available and there aren't further barriers to entry. There is a reason why you see this from companies like Ubisoft and EA because they're scumbags that want your money unjustly. This isn't a case of people just being upset over what this means for Star Wars Outlaws, this is a case of people foreseeing the way corporations are trying to shape and engineer the future of digital gaming.

All previous Forza games are delisted due to expired car licenses but if you still own the game you can download them.
I was specifically referring to games that will require you to have an internet connection before playing, as it is being implied with Star Wars: Outlaws. I'm very well aware of being able to redownload purchased delisted games.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'm so mad at mad at Ubiright now! I'm 24x7 online on my PC and mobile phone, my PS5 is always connected to the internet, whenever I turn on my PS5 I obsessively check every that every game on my PS5 has been updated to the latest version, I demand long term support from software companies to iron out bugs and add new features, , but now I'm fuck'n' MAAAAAAAAAADDDDD. I DEMAND that I'll be able to play the version of the game that's on the disc. It's my right as a consumer. When WW3 starts, the internet breaks down forever and nuclear bombs start dropping my dying wish is to play Star Wars: Outlaws - and I now realize I can't....

DAMN THIS SHIT COMPANY! I'LL NEVER PLAY A UBISOFT GAME AGAIN!!

Frustrated Đéo Ti GIF by Girl Starter

ManaByte

I was specifically referring to games that will require you to have an internet connection before playing, as it is being implied with Star Wars: Outlaws. I'm very well aware of being able to redownload purchased delisted games.
It requires the connection to download the game because the disc doesn’t include the entirety of the files. It specifically says “to install”. If the connection was required to play it would say it was required to play.

I'm so mad at mad at Ubiright now! I'm 24x7 online on my PC and mobile phone, my PS5 is always connected to the internet, whenever I turn on my PS5 I obsessively check every that every game on my PS5 has been updated to the latest version, I demand long term support from software companies to iron out bugs and add new features, , but now I'm fuck'n' MAAAAAAAAAADDDDD. I DEMAND that I'll be able to play the version of the game that's on the disc. It's my right as a consumer. When WW3 starts, the internet breaks down forever and nuclear bombs start dropping my dying wish is to play Star Wars: Outlaws - and I now realize I can't....

Cringe Reaction GIF

near

Gold Member
It requires the connection to download the game because the disc doesn’t include the entirety of the files. It specifically says “to install”. If the connection was required to play it would say it was required to play.
I'm not sure what your point is. You're being sold a disc which is incomplete before the game is even released, and it is mandatory for you to have an internet connection to get the full content in which you paid for. :/

Is this a GaaS game? What reason does this have for requiring a constant internet connection?

EDIT: nvmd, I thought it was always-online like Destiny, but instead just needs an internet connection to install the game.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Okay I'll bite since it looks like you don't want to take the L on this.

Here's the data for PS4:

oALQXQI.png

And the PS5 data that I've already posted:

zyq9qoB.png

Here's the link to doesitplay in case you legit want to learn about the current state of physical game media:

Ok, i always see this site being mentioned during these discussions but after doing just a bit of searching i found out its missing a lot of releases.

Games I couldn't find: Suicide Squad, none of the 3 The Crew games, Skull and Bones, Helldivers 2, none of the newer CODMW games after 1, and so on.

Its only natural it'll have a low percentage when so many games in which physical copies are worthless keep getting left out.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

I would love to be outraged but I mean, I PC game on Steam with a 1.5Gb/s connection so I don't want to flip a table for shit and giggles when I would never have noticed it.

near

Gold Member
I take it you don’t own a Switch.
So because X company does this Y should too? One is actually rooted in a cost/distribution problem. The other just pure corporate farts. Keep defending these sorts of practices, I’m sure it will work out well for you in the end.

ManaByte

So because X company does this Y should too? One is actually rooted in a cost/distribution problem. The other just pure corporate farts. Keep defending these sorts of practices, I’m sure it will work out well for you in the end.
Do you really believe they fit 200GB of Call of Duty on a disc?

near

Gold Member
Yeah, everyone is suddenly acting like printing a second disk for a $70+ game is the end of the world.
Precisely. Using the Switch as a counter argument isn’t valid either when a 32GB cartridge supposedly costs 60% more than a 50GB Blu-ray disc.

Ok, i always see this site being mentioned during these discussions but after doing just a bit of searching i found out its missing a lot of releases.

Games I couldn't find: Suicide Squad, none of the 3 The Crew games, Skull and Bones, Helldivers 2, none of the newer CODMW games after 1, and so on.
DoesItPlay is a network of volunteers that began their work on this initiative a few years ago, so it's natural that there are still many games that have not been cataloged yet since they depend either on the pubs providing them with games to test or them purchasing those titles themselves.

Let's take the PS5 as an example. There are over 800 games that have received a physical release on this system, and so far they have tested around 300 of them.
Its only natural it'll have a low percentage when so many games in which physical copies are worthless keep getting left out.
Similarly, most of the 500 untested games are single-player focused. If they eventually manage to cover all of them—which is unlikely without more help from the community—the percentage will lean even more towards physical releases that have a solid disc build (e.g., offline play and no mandatory download). 🤷

Also, as a fun tidbit, EA seems to be great at delivering solid disc builds for their annual sports releases (e.g., Madden and FIFA on PS5). So even with these titles that primarily focus on the live service aspect, they still put in the effort to ensure that they have a playable game (offline modes) on the disc.

So the tl;dr here is that Ubisoft can go fuck themselves.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

DoesItPlay is a network of volunteers that began their work on this initiative a few years ago, so it's natural that there are still many games that have not been cataloged yet since they depend either on the pubs providing them with games to test or them purchasing those titles themselves.

Let's take the PS5 as an example. There are over 800 games that have received a physical release on this system, and so far they have tested around 300 of them.

Similarly, most of the 500 untested games are single-player focused. If they eventually manage to cover all of them—which is unlikely without more help from the community—the percentage will lean even more towards physical releases that have a solid disc build (e.g., offline play and no mandatory download). 🤷

Also, as a fun tidbit, EA seems to be great at delivering solid disc builds for their annual sports releases (e.g., Madden and FIFA on PS5). So even with these titles that primarily focus on the live service aspect, they still put in the effort to ensure that they have a playable game (offline modes) on the disc.

So the tl;dr here is that Ubisoft can go fuck themselves.
The point is directing towards this site isn't a good argument towards the "physical releases are safe!" narrative, its also worth mentioning that any game that already makes clear the necessity of an online connection have less chances of being tested and thus catalogued there (there'd be no reason to bother after all).

And heck, even if the percentage doesn't move if we were to include all 800 games, we'd still be looking at 50-100 to even 200 games. Thats a hell of a lot already.

And i want to point all of this out because i care, this isn't some "gotcha!" towards physical releases. I don't want people to go around thinking that game preservation is all fine and dandy as long as they buy physical, and that all these problems are in the realm of digital when that's clearly not the case. Whoever thinks that way is in for a rude awakening in the future.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

never-go-full-retard-tropic-thunder.gif

Sinfulgore

It's a rational assumption. I think it's completely fine for people to be upset at publishers, especially when they implement methods that are long term hindrances to consumers, yet serve to facilitate the growth of their own distribution models. When someone buys a physical disc, it's a fair expectation that the content is available and there aren't further barriers to entry. There is a reason why you see this from companies like Ubisoft and EA because they're scumbags that want your money unjustly. This isn't a case of people just being upset over what this means for Star Wars Outlaws, this is a case of people foreseeing the way corporations are trying to shape and engineer the future of digital gaming.

It's not rational at all. There is no evidence suggesting that if this game got delisted the physical copies would no longer work or that the game wouldn't be playable in 10 years. Even if the game did get delisted nothing is preventing anyone from just buying/playing it before it gets delisted. It's such a non-issue which is why so few people care.

No that's not a fair expectation, that's an entitlement. You and other gamers feel entitled, you think physical games should work the same way they have always worked because it benefits you and that's all you care about.

I am a PC gamer, and every game I buy requires internet to install, this has nothing to do with Ubisoft or EA. I agree that publishers would love it if console games were digital only like PC games because physical media offers no benefits to publishers. I think gamers need to take a step back and look at things from the publisher's perspective. Too many gamers, especially here, want these publishers and platform holders to make decisions that personally benefit them regardless if it helps these companies.

Servers for consoles eventually get shut down, meaning if the game has no backwards compatibility it becomes unplayable. This just happend with some 3DS and Wii U games
If the PS6 is not backwards compatible and Sony shuts down the PlayStation Store for PS5 making this game unplayable wouldn't that be a Sony problem not Ubisoft? Assassin's Creed 1 came out in 2007 and it's still playable legally on the latest Xbox console or PC. I don't see Star Wars Outlaws being any different but we'll see.

Draugoth

Gold Member
If the PS6 is not backwards compatible and Sony shuts down the PlayStation Store for PS5 making this game unplayable wouldn't that be a Sony problem not Ubisoft? Assassin's Creed 1 came out in 2007 and it's still playable legally on the latest Xbox console or PC. I don't see Star Wars Outlaws being any different but we'll see.

Technically yes, but the game would last for decades if it wasnt for the internect connection being required to install the damn thing.

Just insert the disk and play, that's how should be

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's not rational at all. There is no evidence suggesting that if this game got delisted the physical copies would no longer work or that the game wouldn't be playable in 10 years. Even if the game did get delisted nothing is preventing anyone from just buying/playing it before it gets delisted. It's such a non-issue which is why so few people care.
If the game is delisted, the servers would be shut down and you would be unable to download the rest of the required data to even play the game.

Some of us also enjoy playing a game in 20 years time. I still play my original ULtima copies. I still play FFIX on PS1. I still play Super Mario Galaxy on Wii. I purchased the game, I should be able to play the game. It should not be taken away on the whims of a company at any time.

No that's not a fair expectation, that's an entitlement. You and other gamers feel entitled, you think physical games should work the same way they have always worked because it benefits you and that's all you care about.
If expecting and demanding basic consumer rights is "entitlement", then I am gladly entitled.

Kotaku: Ubisoft files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy because Ubimad.

Sinfulgore

Technically yes, but the game would last for decades if it wasnt for the internect connection being required to install the damn thing.

Just insert the disk and play, that's how should be
I disagree but like I told the other guy I'm a PC gamer so inserting a disk isn't how I play most of my games right now.

If the game is delisted, the servers would be shut down and you would be unable to download the rest of the required data to even play the game.

Some of us also enjoy playing a game in 20 years time. I still play my original ULtima copies. I still play FFIX on PS1. I still play Super Mario Galaxy on Wii. I purchased the game, I should be able to play the game. It should not be taken away on the whims of a company at any time.

If expecting and demanding basic consumer rights is "entitlement", then I am gladly entitled.
This is not true. Games on the Xbox and PlayStation store are stored on Microsoft or Sony servers, not the individual publisher's servers. This is why most delisted games can still be downloaded if it was already purchased. The physical copy of Star Wars Outlaw(and other games that require an internet connection to install) will download data from the Xbox or Playstation Store just like it downloads the data from the store if you buy it digitally.

That's great that you like to play old games but most people don't and requiring internet to install a game doesn't have to prevent you from playing the game in 20 years. All you have to do is just install the game before it gets taken down if it ever does. Scott Pilgrim vs the World was delisted in 2014 on Xbox 360 but I can still boot up my 360 and play that game if I want. I honestly believe this is just an issue of people hating the feeling of something be taken from them even though in reality this whole thing will never be a real problem.

I wouldn't classify, I bought Star Wars Outlaws in August 2024, therefore, I should be able to still play in 2044 no matter what as a basic consumer right. That's like saying I bought Elden Ring digitally therefore I should be able to play it on any one of my consoles. I purchased the game I should be able to play game however I want right? It doesn't work like that.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I disagree but like I told the other guy I'm a PC gamer so inserting a disk isn't how I play most of my games right now.

This is not true. Games on the Xbox and PlayStation store are stored on Microsoft or Sony servers, not the individual publisher's servers. This is why most delisted games can still be downloaded if it was already purchased. The physical copy of Star Wars Outlaw(and other games that require an internet connection to install) will download data from the Xbox or Playstation Store just like it downloads the data from the store if you buy it digitally.

That's great that you like to play old games but most people don't and requiring internet to install a game doesn't have to prevent you from playing the game in 20 years. All you have to do is just install the game before it gets taken down if it ever does. Scott Pilgrim vs the World was delisted in 2014 on Xbox 360 but I can still boot up my 360 and play that game if I want. I honestly believe this is just an issue of people hating the feeling of something be taken from them even though in reality this whole thing will never be a real problem.

I wouldn't classify, I bought Star Wars Outlaws in August 2024, therefore, I should be able to still play in 2044 no matter what as a basic consumer right. That's like saying I bought Elden Ring digitally therefore I should be able to play it on any one of my consoles. I purchased the game I should be able to play game however I want right? It doesn't work like that.

More strawman arguments and trying to dismiss people fighting for basic consumer rights. Once you are ready to have an actual conversation without trying to constantly misconstrue the arguments being made, let me know.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Another example is Quantum Break, as you know the live tv show part is an important part of the game, it is not included in the game disc on xbox and its only available to either stream or download from the store as an add on. Thats all fine, you can still download it and play it fine on console.

However the add on package is no longer available for the PC version and the streaming doesn't work (reddit is full of posts about this issue) so the game is actually incomplete on PC and people have to resort to a pirated copy or youtube to get the complete experience. The game could also at some point become incomplete on xbox.

I expect this type of issue to become more common as hosting files is not free and publishers don't really care about what happens to the product in the future. They could always do a shitty remaster job and ask full price for it again down the line, am I right?

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Games are getting bigger than 100 GB, so unless Microsoft or Sony changes their disc policy, this is something that's going to happen more often.

Top Bottom