• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 15 - 21 Aug

StephaneC

what's the english name for
4. NDS Yawaraka Atamajuku - Nintendo - 47,000 (384,000)
5. NDS Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - Nintendo - 38,000 (422,000)

StephaneC said:

4. DS Japanese Exclusive That Would Fail In UK 1 - Nintendo - 47,000 (384,000)
5. DS Japanese Exclusive That Would Fail In UK 2 - Nintendo - 38,000 (422,000)

Scotch

StephaneC said:
4. Gentle Brain Training
5. Brain Training for Adults

Or was it the other way around?

jarrod

Banned
Gaz Ultra! said:
4. DS Japanese Exclusive That Would Fail In UK 1 - Nintendo - 47,000 (384,000)
5. DS Japanese Exclusive That Would Fail In UK 2 - Nintendo - 38,000 (422,000)
Sounds familiar....

pikachu03.jpg

heidern

StephaneC said:

4. Gentle Brain Training
5. Touhoku University's Future Technology Collaborative Research Centre's Professor Ryuuta Kawashima presents: DS Brain Training for Adults

According to Dengeki hardware sales fell 11.1% this week. If all systems fell that would put the DS up at over 90K. If on the other hand the DS took the entire fall that would put it around 80K. Next week is gonna be crazy too with 5 new DS games including Castlevania, Lost in Blue, Lunar Genesis, Puzzle Bobble and Kyouryuu Grand Prix. In fact with 17 new releases all told there'll be a major change in the charts.

Flakster99

heidern said:
Next week is gonna be crazy too with 5 new DS games including Castlevania, Lost in Blue, Lunar Genesis, Puzzle Bobble and Kyouryuu Grand Prix. In fact with 17 new releases all told there'll be a major change in the charts.

Daamn.

Brain Training is going to outsell Nintendogs in the long run I think. Thursday is going to be big for the DS. I can see the DS selling another 60k with all those games coming out. None of them are extremely popular. But all of them are decent sellers.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I actually have Gentle Brain Training, and while it is provides some quick and simple minigames, I don't think people will be missing out if it never comes out in the USA/Europe.

There are plenty of better games out there for the DS. I think it's selling solely on their low price. I'd rather have a Mario Picross DS.

If people want to petition for a Japanese game to come out in the west, ask for Ouendan and Jump Super Stars instead. Please.

Bebpo

Banned
Tempy said:
I actually have Gentle Brain Training, and while it is provides some quick and simple minigames, I don't think people will be missing out if it never comes out in the USA/Europe.

There are plenty of better games out there for the DS. I think it's selling solely on their low price. I'd rather have a Mario Picross DS.

If people want to petition for a Japanese game to come out in the west, ask for Ouendan and Jump Super Stars instead. Please.

Yeah. I picked up the second one and while it was fun for 30 minutes and I don't feel ripped off because of it's low $20 price tag...I found it utterly boring after a day. Never touched it again. I think the appeal is that it's dirt cheap and easy for non-gamers to play.

Ouendan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> JSS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brain Training.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Wow, 2 GameCube games in the Top 10, unbelievable. DS is doing really well, I hope it's Hardware numbers are high, too. PSP fears GBM yet, I'd bet ^^.

Jonnyram

Software

1. Naruto (Bandai, PS2): 96054
2. Jump Super Stars (Nintendo, DS): 57123 (278035)
3. Winning Eleven (Konami, PS2): 55827 (731722)
4. Yawaraka Atama (Nintendo, DS): 46526 (384340)
5. Otona no DS Training (Nintendo, DS): 37862 (421738)
6. Mushiking (Sega, GBA): 28832 (489981)
7. Pokemon XD (Nintendo GC): 21942 (159129)
8. Super Mario Stadium Miracle Baseball (Nintendo, GC): 17514 (139009)
9. Super Robot Taisen alpha 3 (Banpresto, PS2): 17163 (566382)
10. The Uchu Boengun 2 (D3 Publisher, PS2): 16313 (95009)

Hardware

1. DS: 80945 (1462984)
2. PS2: 33292 (1322678)
3. PSP: 23923 (1150150)
4. GBASP: 16721 (483335)
5. GC: 3960 (148345)
6. GBA: 822 (17219)
7. Xbox: 263 (9458)

From Next Generation, who don't appear to care too much about the accuracy of the titles, so maybe the figures are a little off in places too ;)

jman2050

Jonnyram said:
Software

1. Naruto (Bandai, PS2): 96054
2. Jump Super Stars (Nintendo, DS): 57123 (278035)
3. Winning Eleven (Konami, PS2): 55827 (731722)
4. Yawaraka Atama (Nintendo, DS): 46526 (384340)
5. Otona no DS Training (Nintendo, DS): 37862 (421738)
6. Mushiking (Sega, GBA): 28832 (489981)
7. Pokemon XD (Nintendo GC): 21942 (159129)
8. Super Mario Stadium Miracle Baseball (Nintendo, GC): 17514 (139009)
9. Super Robot Taisen alpha 3 (Banpresto, PS2): 17163 (566382)
10. The Uchu Boengun 2 (D3 Publisher, PS2): 16313 (95009)

Hardware

2. PS2: 33292 (1322678)
4. GBASP: 16721 (483335)
5. GC: 3960 (148345)
6. GBA: 822 (17219)
7. Xbox: 263 (9458)

From Next Generation, who don't appear to care too much about the accuracy of the titles, so maybe the figures are a little off in places too ;)

Crap. DS Japan has made up the USA difference in July in only two weeks XD

Soul4ger

PSP went up another thousand, didn't it? It was 21 or 22K last week, if I'm not mistaken. Sales seem to be hanging steadily around that.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
PSP = GBASP killah!!

and yes, the numbers for the DS from Japan in some fucked up way help me validate my love for the DS over the shit that is my PSP (which hasn't even had its battery charged since I returned from Japan)

PSP actually went down 2000 sales. It had it's highest spot in over 2 months. I think this was caused by a Gundam game being released.

Those are nice sales for the DS. It pretty much is a lock for selling over 3 million by the end of August.

LTD - 2,958,581

Flo_Evans

I don't get the PSPs poor performance in its homeland. Is it the games? They are getting more games than us. Competing with cellphones? Maybe. But I would think the gadget crazy japan would be all over it. It could be the older demographic is happy with the multimedia and games in their phones and don't want to carry around another (somewhat) bulky device.

I would like to know what demographic is buying up all the DSs?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Very nice, imo these DS figures also show, that there just aren't enough JSS' to hit the demand.

argon

Flo_Evans said:
I don't get the PSPs poor performance in its homeland. Is it the games? They are getting more games than us. Competing with cellphones? Maybe. But I would think the gadget crazy japan would be all over it. It could be the older demographic is happy with the multimedia and games in their phones and don't want to carry around another (somewhat) bulky device.

There are a handful of highly anticipated titles, but not many average (or slightly above average) titles to hold you over until the big games hit..

PSP also seems to have alot more games targeting western tastes, which is why it is doing much better here in the US.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the PSP software situation is looking more and more like the N64 each day.

jman2050

Flo_Evans said:

As I stated in another thread. All this multimedia crap isn't going to matter in the long run.

The PSP will live or die by the games. Plain and simple.

Jonnyram said:
Jesus Creezus.

By the by; an IGN article the other day said that Xbox has "only managed a paltry 2 million units" in Japan. I agree with the language, but I think that number is like four times too high. I didn't even think Microsoft had popped 500,000 yet.

IIRC the 3D fucking O sold more units than the Xbox in Japan.

borghe

two things hurting the PSP IMH and unqualified opinion.

Sony is working too hard on making it "mainstream" with split attention to games and movies, and the thing is just fucking expensive. a japanese gamer can have fun for ~$150 plus a ~$40-50 game or they can have fun for ~$250 plus a ~$40-50 game. It's not like PSP games are more FUN than DS games.

Here in america though we are a bunch of graphics whores with loads of disposable cash. one only has to look at sales of some games to realize that. I have come to the belief that Nintendo will never hold first with the DS in the US. The PSP just looks too good next to it and will always sell more because of that, even if the DS has more and better games (IMHO of course). Hell, hasn't untold legends sold more than kirby over here?

As I suspected.

CESA said:
Xbox
2004 - 40,000
2003 - 80,000
2002 - 400,000

That's 520,000 by the end of 2004, plus the approx. 10,000 so far this year, so their total install base is 530,000, one of which is sitting unused in my apartment here, so really it's 529,999.

Woah, the DS is really a beast in Japan!

jman2050 said:
Crap. DS Japan has made up the USA difference in July in only two weeks XD

That's an important point for the people here that actually think the PSP could overtake the DS before the end of the year.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Flo_Evans said:

The PSPs performance isn't that poor. It just seems poor in the face of the DS's AMAZING japanese performance. Its not that the PSP is doing that BADLY, its just that the DS is exceeding people's sales expectations so much that it makes it seem bad.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Kobun Heat said:
By the by; an IGN article the other day said that Xbox has "only managed a paltry 2 million units" in Japan. I agree with the language, but I think that number is like four times too high. I didn't even think Microsoft had popped 500,000 yet.
They were probably using the number that MS uses for Asia.

borghe

GDJustin said:
The PSPs performance isn't that poor. It just seems poor in the face of the DS's AMAZING japanese performance. Its not that the PSP is doing that BADLY, its just that the DS is exceeding people's sales expectations so much that it makes it seem bad.
I sort of agree with this, though in relation to the number of units handheld units typically move I think you could say the PSP's performance is poor. How many GBAs were selling this early in that system's life? How many GBs? I mean GBA was fighting it out with the PS3 during its entire lifespan for the top seller, and now the PSP can't even beat the PS2 at the end of its life cycle?

Not trying to be doom and gloom here. Moving 20K a week is hardly the bomba.. but compared with how typical (nintendo) handhelds sell early in their lifespans and the handheld market in general, I don't think it can be called a major coup either..

JavyOO7

borghe said:
two things hurting the PSP IMH and unqualified opinion.

Sony is working too hard on making it "mainstream" with split attention to games and movies, and the thing is just fucking expensive. a japanese gamer can have fun for ~$150 plus a ~$40-50 game or they can have fun for ~$250 plus a ~$40-50 game. It's not like PSP games are more FUN than DS games.

Here in america though we are a bunch of graphics whores with loads of disposable cash. one only has to look at sales of some games to realize that. I have come to the belief that Nintendo will never hold first with the DS in the US. The PSP just looks too good next to it and will always sell more because of that, even if the DS has more and better games (IMHO of course). Hell, hasn't untold legends sold more than kirby over here?

I don't think the sole reason the PSP is outselling the DS in the states is soely because of the graphic whores in all of us, but because the launch titles. There were some excellent titles there that was well received by the media and such. And compared to the DS, during when the PSP had launched, the PSP had the better line-up.

Though now the DS in the states is coming out with a good stream of titles, so you never know. People might laugh at this, but I personally think Mario Kart and Animal Crossing will tremendously help DS sales this Christmas.

And Nintendogs too... Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :)

BuzzJive

CVXFREAK said:
Quite a fall for Jump. Sold out, or did it blow its load quickly?

Yeah - it might be supply related - but keep in mind that it's already the number 6 selling DS game (in Japan) ever after just 2 weeks:

Wario
Mario
Nintendogs
Brain 1
Brain 2
JSS

(I don't have the exact numbers on those).

It's also sold better than almost every PSP game, aside from Hot Shots Golf and possibly Dynasty Warriors or Ridge Racer (which it should pass both of those after week 3).

I don't think the DS is in a position just yet to have titles sell over half a million in a couple weeks. That would be 1 in every 6 DS owners picking it up right away.

JavyOO7 said:
Though now the DS in the states is coming out with a good stream of titles, so you never know. People might laugh at this, but I personally think Mario Kart and Animal Crossing will tremendously help DS sales this Christmas.

And Nintendogs too... Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. :)

They will indeed, but GTA: LCS will slaughter them all.

milanbaros

Member?
borghe said:

The US now has a higher tie ratio than Japan which seemed unbelievable only a few years ago so its a much much more important market. I think that the PSP will continue to have a hold over the DS for the time being but do not expect the DS to collapse. However, I do believe this will all turn round once Diamond and Pearl are released.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Kobun Heat said:
As I suspected.

That's 520,000 by the end of 2004, plus the approx. 10,000 so far this year, so their total install base is 530,000, one of which is sitting unused in my apartment here, so really it's 529,999.
Which, as someone pointed out in another thread, makes Perrin's Kirby quote from that interview all the more hilarious, since the past two Kirby releases alone in Japan have sold more than the entire Japanese Xbox userbase.

human5892 said:
Which, as someone pointed out in another thread, makes Perrin's Kirby quote from that interview all the more hilarious, since the past two Kirby releases alone in Japan have sold more than the entire Japanese Xbox userbase.
That quote makes me love Perrin even more, as if such a thing were scientifically possible.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
borghe said:
Sony is working too hard on making it "mainstream" with split attention to games and movies
I doubt producing movie content is splitting SCE's attention since that would probably be handled by Sony Pictures.

borghe

kaching said:
I doubt producing movie content is splitting SCE's attention since that would probably be handled by Sony Pictures.
SCEA (and SCEI) still have to focus attention on trying to bring publishers (games and movies) into the fold. I have a hard time believing at THIS point that you have movie publishers (aside from recent blockbusters) saying let's release that to UMD. Especially season sets and whatnot. I imagine the Sony Computing arms are working with movie publishers to get UMD movies. That is what I was referring to. I would hope they are putting more effeort into getting publishers to make games, but it really looks the other way around.

Zeo

Banned
Dav2k said:
They will indeed, but GTA: LCS will slaughter them all.

Sell better? Good chance of it. Slaughter? A little doubtful. :p

I'm surprised people actually think GTA will sell like it does on PS2.

Top Bottom