• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2016 (Aug 15 - Aug 21)

Mario007

There's been a number of retail releases... the fact that you probably don't even remember them, says a lot about the state of those releases in their relevance.

But that's all beside the point because I think you misunderstood. I wasn't arguing the point. My initial post was about the audience being or not being present for games of the ilk for Nintendo's platforms... that audience most certainly exists.

Unless it launches in 2018... no?
While yes you do have a point, as a publisher of an AAA game looking at the market, if I insist on making a jrpg, i don't think the current condition of the 3ds market will give me a lot more confidence than the ps4 market. Simply the one million sellers are pretty insignificant especially on a dying platform.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure I exactly follow the impetus for the debate, but essentially, developers are choosing their platform based upon the sub-genre of their game as opposed to the status of being "JRPGs".

The 3DS is the overlord of the turn based RPG, while the PS4 has the action RPGs.

Sales only seem to enter the picture when someone wants to do something like shipping a turn based JRPG on PS4 and then realizes the audience is on 3DS, so we end up with Dragon Quest XI.

Mind, I think the differences between the two are going to be extremely moot in the near future given we had the game library for Sony handhelds and Sony consoles merge together when the handheld became capable enough, and I'm expecting the NX and PS4 to follow.

Mario007

And Bloodborne's an action RPG. All 3 are in RPG subgenres and were made in Japan. I wonder what we could call that?

Well, technically YW2 is already over 3 million. The west will probably push it over 4 million.

Also, Pokemon does exist and is sitting around 15m for XY and 12m for ORAS iirc. And there are quite few more between 1-2m on 3DS than four games.
Sure then go aheas and list them. List all the million seller if you want tl argue that they are there. I mean I'm sure there are, but back up your words.

YW hasn't even released in the west, so don't try to argue that game with YW probably hasn't even hit one million overseas.
It charted last week in both France (#5) and the U.K. (#40). The game will sell two million copies for sure, if it's not there already.
Missed France, my bad. Uk definitely doesn't count with that chart position.

MacTag

Banned
Sure then go aheas and list them. List all the million seller if you want tl argue that they are there. I mean I'm sure there are, but back up your words.

YW hasn't even released in the west, so don't try to argue that game with YW probably hasn't even hit one million overseas.
I did list them already. Fantasy Life, KH3D, PDZ, Denpa Men Free, etc.

For YW2 I was talking future tense. I expect it'll sell better than the first one overseas. YW1 might be close to 1m in the west but likely isn't there yet or I feel like we'd have heard about it during Level 5 Vision or some other press brief.

casiopao

I'm not sure I exactly follow the impetus for the debate, but essentially, developers are choosing their platform based upon the sub-genre of their game as opposed to the status of being "JRPGs".

The 3DS is the overlord of the turn based RPG, while the PS4 has the action RPGs.

Sales only seem to enter the picture when someone wants to do something like shipping a turn based JRPG on PS4 and then realizes the audience is on 3DS, so we end up with Dragon Quest XI.

Mind, I think the differences between the two are going to be extremely moot in the near future given we had the game library for Sony handhelds and Sony consoles merge together when the handheld became capable enough, and I'm expecting the NX and PS4 to follow.

Agreed totally with you there. If NX does successfully consolidate handheld and consoles platform, both the genre of turn based and action is going to join itself. Hell, even right now, they are more or less becoming one. I mean, MH is more or less full action title and it stays even stronger here with 3DS. So, i don't see this becoming problem anymore in the future.

I will bite here then.

Paper Mario Sticker Star: 2.24 mil
Mario and Luigi Dream Team: 2.22 mil
Poke X and Y: 15 mil
Poke Alpha Rub and Sapphire: 12 mil
Fire Emblem Fates/Conquest: 2 mil
Fire Emblem Awakening: 1.79 mil
Bravely Default: 1 mil
Poke Mystery Dungeon: Gate of Infinity: 1.32 mil
Super Poke Mystery Dungeon: 1.22 mil
Fantasy Life: 1 mil(Shipped more than 1 mil WW.)
Kingdom Hearts DDD: 1 mil(Sorry can't remember the source.)

I am sure there are also other title but i am tired to think for more here. At least, some of those example should help u see why some of us said that 3DS is a better platform for Jrpg at least now.

Sandfox

I kinda want to see how a mainline FF game would have done on the DS a la DQIX.

While yes you do have a point, as a publisher of an AAA game looking at the market, if I insist on making a jrpg, i don't think the current condition of the 3ds market will give me a lot more confidence than the ps4 market. Simply the one million sellers are pretty insignificant especially on a dying platform.
Well SE is basically the only company making those lol. I also don't really see why a publisher would feel comfortable releasing a AAA JRPG for the PS4 at this point unless their game is called Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, or Kingdom Hearts, and those games are probably all going sell less than their predecessors while costing a lot more to develop.

casiopao

I kinda want to see how a mainline FF game would have done on the DS a la DQIX.

Well SE is basically the only company making those lol. I also don't really see why a publisher would feel comfortable releasing a AAA JRPG for the PS4 at this point unless their game is called Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, or Kingdom Hearts, and those games are probably all going sell less than their predecessors while costing a lot more to develop.

Lol. No way in hell will S-E release a mainline FF on handheld. S-E proud pride will force them to keep making the new mainline title as super expensive title on new consoles lol.

How dare u forget about Bamco and Tales the Mcdonalds of Jrpg lol.^_^

Sandfox

Lol. No way in hell will S-E release a mainline FF on handheld. S-E proud pride will force them to keep making the new mainline title as super expensive title on new consoles lol.

How dare u forget about Bamco and Tales the Mcdonalds of Jrpg lol.^_^

I know they won't, but the DS was huge so it would've been crazy to follow in a sales thread and we probably would've gotten a better FFXIII lol.

casiopao

I know they won't, but the DS was huge so it would've been crazy to follow in a sales thread and we probably would've gotten a better FFXIII lol.

I don't even need all those things lol. Just give us FFI-2 or FFIII-2 lol. I want to play moar of those games. A continuation would be awesome.^_^

This discussion is rather bizarre, but how many 1-2 million+ JRPGs on the PS4 is anyone really expecting in the first place?

(also random tangent: I'd be shocked if Awakening wasn't over 2 million by now)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This discussion is rather bizarre, but how many 1-2 million+ JRPGs on the PS4 is anyone really expecting in the first place?

Globally? KH 3, Persona 5 and FF XV, DQ XI. Japan only? Only DQ XI has a chance.

I'm shocked anyone actually sees even a 1m+ seller on PS4 in Japan when the only one to ever sell that on PS3 was FF13. Pretty sure PS3 had a FAR larger install base at that point also.

Not saying the game is a big hit in the U.K., but it came out four months ago. The game clearly hasn't been selling a negligible amount.

duckroll

I'm shocked anyone actually sees even a 1m+ seller on PS4 in Japan when the only one to ever sell that on PS3 was FF13. Pretty sure PS3 had a FAR larger install base at that point also.

Not that big a difference. The PS4 LTD now is 3.1mil. The PS3 LTD in 2009 at the same point now was 3.2mil.

Not that big a difference. The PS4 LTD now is 3.1mil. The PS3 LTD in 2009 at the same point now was 3.2mil.

Oh wow, huh. Thanks for the correction! :p

Still I think FF13 had the HUGE hype going for it, I don't think FF15 or KH3 has a whole lot of hype (granted how much have they shown for KH3?). And DQ11 will have the 3DS and NX version (whether a PS4 port or not) competing with the PS4 version.

Those are the only three I can think of that has any potential to do that personally.

Edit: FF7r I'm not sure with it being a retail episodic game (I think). Who knows how that will do.

Edit 2: To clarify I've noticed FF15's reception pre-release seems mixed. Some really good others not so much. But that's only what I've noticed, I'm likely missing something.

casiopao

I only mention the sales last time updated one on 2014, i do agree that 2 mil is a lock.

Which makes what mario said funny. He dont count many of 3ds million seller while not seeing himself how many jrpg had also underperform on ps4 there.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
what so bizzarre in seeing the 3DS as a very good home for JRPG?
I mean, it totally rules over Japan, that is the main market for the genre, is full of RPGs and few sold HUGE amount of copies, many sold good amount of copies, many sold decent amount of copies. Plus, some RPGs were/are able to sell decently/good (Bravely-Fire Emblem, not only Pokemon) also oversee, so...

casiopao

A-Train 3D Neo announced for 3DS. This is the definitive version of the previously released A-Train 3D. It includes all the DLCs and has enhanced features specifically for New 3DS.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/354/G035437/20160830021/

One of my favorite city sim game lol but i sure as hell could not buy the game anymore lol when i still need to return and finish many of my project for the game lol.^^

what so bizzarre in seeing the 3DS as a very good home for JRPG?
I mean, it totally rules over Japan, that is the main market for the genre, is full of RPGs and few sold HUGE amount of copies, many sold good amount of copies, many sold decent amount of copies. Plus, some RPGs were/are able to sell decently/good (Bravely-Fire Emblem, not only Pokemon) also oversee, so...

Actually, for simulation genre too like Style Savvy, Tomodachi Collection, Disney Magical World, Story of Season, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing and Rune Factory all is doing really well too.^_^

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Actually, for simulation genre too like Style Savvy, Tomodachi Collection, Disney Magical World, Story of Season, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing and Rune Factory all is doing really well too.^_^

Yeah, that too.
I wasn't into the "3DS vs PS4" best-home-for-RPGs fight, btw, but it sounds pretty strange to dismiss the 3DS as a very viable platform for the genre (I'm still so buffled about the switch from Bravely to Setsuna, and the Setsuna results aren't pushing toward a different consideration honestly)

mao2

One of my favorite city sim game lol but i sure as hell could not buy the game anymore lol when i still need to return and finish many of my project for the game lol.^^
If you already have the original version, you can upgrade to A-Train 3D Neo via a free patch which will be available on Dec 1, 2016 (same day as Neo's release date). It won't contain any of the DLCs though.
■「A列車で行こう3D」パッチの配信について
既存の「A列車で行こう3D」及び「A列車で行こう3D ビギナーズパック」のユーザーに対しては、無償にて「A列車で行こう3D NEO」相当のパッチ配信を行う予定です。

このパッチにより、Newニンテンドー3DSをお持ちの既存ユーザーは、高速化されたゲームを遊ぶことが可能となります。

※但し、有料DLCの追加シナリオ8個は含まれません。
※「A列車で行こう3D NEO」対応パッチは、製品発売日と同日の配信を予定しております。

Fisico

3DS is the home of Pokèmon, best RPG ever.

That's enought for me. :p

Yes but it's not a JRPG, it's its own genre that we should call PRPG
Also Fire Emblem isn't a JRPG either, it's a SRPG.
To not have any console bias, Bloodborne is not a JRPG either, it's an ARPG.
Also Tales aren't even internally considered as RPG by Bamco, they are CPG.
Bravely Default while fitting most criteria is also only using nostalgia to attract consumers, thus it should be called a NRPG.
Mario games are Mario, not JRPG, they don't count.

Therefore we can conclude that JRPG as genre is dead and so are the consoles in Japan.

To be fair, as ridiculous as it is, it kinda show how this supposed genre struggled to maintain a clear identity this past decade in the gaming community.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

What kind of logic is that? Wii U has several million selleser, PS4 definitely can get some as well, judging solely by install base. If there exists a game that can actually pull it off is a different question, but considering PS4 is getting FFXV and DQXI (and KH3?) I'm quite positive it will.

Celine

OK, I'll bite. What JRPGs outside of pokemon did 2 million or above on the 3ds?
That's quite a silly question.
Do people not realize that for almost any JRPG game/series 2 million worldwide is an awfully high barrier?
There might be some surprise (for example Yokai Watch 2 this gen, Inazuma Eleven 2/3 last gen or Kingdom Hearts 3 gens ago) but the series that can achieve more than 2 million are known entities.

Take away Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Pokemon and Mario RPG if you need to count all the games roughly categorized as JRPG that shipped more than 2 million worldwide in the past 30 years you could use the fingers of one hand (or slightly more depending on what you want to include in the JRPG genre) .

THQ is rising from the grave. Should we ready the chainsaws for Acclaim and Midway zombifying?
Midway -> Warner Bros sort of.

Sandfox

What kind of logic is that? Wii U has several million selleser, PS4 definitely can get some as well, judging solely by install base. If there exists a game that can actually pull it off is a different question, but considering PS4 is getting FFXV and DQXI (and KH3?) I'm quite positive it will.

I don't see KH3 doing one million.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Actually that exactly the question - take away Wiis first party million seller and what is left ? 3rdParty wise there are maybe 3-4 IPs that could hit a million on a console, thats even less likely if the game is multiplattform w. a handheld version.

Fisico

So far everything is pointing towards to a heavy FFXV decline from FFXIII performance with 1m being quite an achievement if it manages to do so

KH was barely a million seller on PS2, 10 years ago, the likelihood of KH3 reaching 1M on a three to four times smaller install base is near 0.

DQXI will be multiplat and have the vast majority of its sales coming from the others SKU, 1m might be doable but even that is far from certain.

The million sellers on the Wii U are Nintendo games. Nintendo is in a unique position in that it is not only the top publisher in Japan, but it also has its own platform. The other big publishers like Capcom, Square Enix or Level-5 etc. don't, and Sony, who does, isn't a very successful software publisher in Japan, and that's putting it mildly. I don't think the PS4 will see a million seller, personally. DQXI is on two other platforms and there doesn't seem to be a crazy amount of general excitement for FFXV and KH3.

casiopao

Kingdom Hearts 3D shipped 1.10 million units worldwide (source: CESA).
It's a bit a shame how SE fucked up with this game.

Ohh. Tx for the info Celine.^_^ I can't find the info on google.T_T

The million sellers on the Wii U are Nintendo games. Nintendo is in a unique position in that it is not only the top publisher in Japan, but it also has its own platform. The other big publishers like Capcom, Square Enix or Level-5 etc. don't, and Sony, who does, isn't a very successful software publisher in Japan, and that's putting it mildly. I don't think the PS4 will see a million seller, personally. DQXI is on two other platforms and there doesn't seem to be a crazy amount of general excitement for FFXV and KH3.

I would said FFXV had quite a chance for 1 million LTD here. I mean, if they don't reach that number. It will absolute failure there.

If you already have the original version, you can upgrade to A-Train 3D Neo via a free patch which will be available on Dec 1, 2016 (same day as Neo's release date). It won't contain any of the DLCs though.

Ohhh great news.^_^ Hope they will update the game for us owner outside of JP too.^_^

Yeah, that too.
I wasn't into the "3DS vs PS4" best-home-for-RPGs fight, btw, but it sounds pretty strange to dismiss the 3DS as a very viable platform for the genre (I'm still so buffled about the switch from Bravely to Setsuna, and the Setsuna results aren't pushing toward a different consideration honestly)

Yup. I don't really care for that Jrpg genre here as the result is simply clear lol. But, except for lets said, Jrpg, simulation and platforming i guess. What other genre had been flourishing in 3DS here?O_O

Datschge

Do you expect Japanese publishers to commonly offer cross vendor multiplat (e.g. NX + PS4)? That would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath there.

Ekid

So are we expecting the Monster Hunter title to be announced in the Nintendo direct or will it be for the TGS (or later) ?

Vena

So are we expecting the Monster Hunter title to be announced in the Nintendo direct or will it be for the TGS (or later) ?

Given that I have no idea what else would be in it for Japan, I am going to say "maybe". This is a worldwide direct, and they are most certainly not going to be revealing all of the localizations for NA/EU... for Japan.

NA/EU is easy to make sense of since it has things like DQVII, DQVIII (both of which, at this point, in the west and if you didn't know any better, you'd probably think were Nintendo properties), Dragonball Fusion, EOV, and a bunch of other late localizations and coming releases like Pokemon. Might even see MHStories.

But Japan isn't going to be seeing that as it'd make zero sense.

Let's see, I can see:
  • Monster Hunter Stories for Japan (not out yet)
  • Pokemon Info (obviously)
  • Monster Hunter GX (?)
  • Ever Oasis (Grezo's game, I think that was its name?)
  • ...? Lightning Returns to Termina: Electric Boogaloo?

Perhaps some of the other up coming releases we've been hearing about for more recently as well? 3DS obviously still has titles for it coming for some time for Japan and the West, but I imagine the direct would be focused on "big" things.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Given that I have no idea what else would be in it for Japan, I am going to say "maybe". This is a worldwide direct, and they are most certainly not going to be revealing all of the localizations for NA/EU... for Japan.

NA/EU is easy to make sense of since it has things like DQVII, DQVIII (both of which, at this point, in the west and if you didn't know any better, you'd probably think were Nintendo properties), Dragonball Fusion, EOV, and a bunch of other late localizations and coming releases like Pokemon. Might even see MHStories.

But Japan isn't going to be seeing that as it'd make zero sense.

Let's see, I can see:
  • Monster Hunter Stories for Japan (not out yet)
  • Pokemon Info (obviously)
  • Monster Hunter GX (?)
  • ...? Lightning Returns to Termina: Electric Boogaloo?

If anything, this Direct could be seen as a way to see if the next MH has high or low chances to be a 3DS-only thing. In the case it's announced at the Direct, the chances it's 3DS-only are high (by that I mean it wouldn't completely close the door to the cross-gen theory since it could still be announced later for NX). Otherwise, the chances it's on both 3DS and NX, and that it gets revelaed at the NX event increase substantially.

Also, another thing I could see getting announced, and that would have major relevance for the market, is the price cut that Trevelyan/SMD leaked several months ago.

EDIT: Also, as said elsewhere, it feels like this is the last big 3DS-specific presentation, i.e. the occasion where Nintendo will clear out what's left of major-ish for the platform before focusing their efforts on the NX.

mao2

New titles announced in this week's Weekly Famitsu.
http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/49426536.html

[3DS] Megami Meguri
This is Capcom's IC card-based game that was announced earlier but now we know the title.
http://gematsu.com/2016/08/capcom-ic-card-based-3ds-game-titled-megami-meguri

[3DS] Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 3: Final Stage
http://gematsu.com/2016/08/sega-3d-fukkoku-archives-3-final-stage-announced-3ds

[3DS] Kunio-kun Nekketsu Complete Famicom-hen
This is a collection of 11 Kunio-kun games which were released on Famicom.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think I successfully finished the Road To TGS update from last year, but I'm nigh positive we've surpassed the 3DS game count already.

cheesekao

If anything, this Direct could be seen as a way to see if the next MH has high or low chances to be a 3DS-only thing. In the case it's announced at the Direct, the chances it's 3DS-only are high (by that I mean it wouldn't completely close the door to the cross-gen theory since it could still be announced later for NX). Otherwise, the chances it's on both 3DS and NX, and that it gets revelaed at the NX event increase substantially.

Also, another thing I could see getting announced, and that would have major relevance for the market, is the price cut that Trevelyan/SMD leaked several months ago.

EDIT: Also, as said elsewhere, it feels like this is the last big 3DS-specific presentation, i.e. the occasion where Nintendo will clear out what's left of major-ish for the platform before focusing their efforts on the NX.
Somehow I doubt it's on the 3ds because 2 million for a MH title is low balling it really low unless it's a spin off(not MHS tier spinoff but something resembling the main games). Maybe they have high hopes for an NX only MH title and it'll be a WW launch title.

Vena

Somehow I doubt it's on the 3ds because 2 million for a MH title is low balling it really low unless it's a spin off(not MHS tier spinoff but something resembling the main games). Maybe they have high hopes for an NX only MH title and it'll be a WW launch title.

An enhanced MHX release would definitely fall into the 2 mil ballpark, especially if Capcom is being conservative.

Oregano

Maybe they expect Monster Hunter to follow the trajectory of all their other series.

Maybe the reason Capcom always lowballs it is they want it to fail in some kind of producers-style conjob.

It would explain their handling of Resident Evil as well.

Moskalova

New titles announced in this week's Weekly Famitsu.
http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/49426536.html

[3DS] Megami Meguri
This is Capcom's IC card-based game that was announced earlier but now we know the title.
http://gematsu.com/2016/08/capcom-ic-card-based-3ds-game-titled-megami-meguri

[3DS] Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 3: Final Stage
http://gematsu.com/2016/08/sega-3d-fukkoku-archives-3-final-stage-announced-3ds

[3DS] Kunio-kun Nekketsu Complete Famicom-hen
This is a collection of 11 Kunio-kun games which were released on Famicom.

Not Famitsu but announced this week too

Kadokawa Games announces Starly Girls for smartphones
http://gematsu.com/2016/08/kadokawa-games-announces-starly-girls-smartphones

Is it plausible to expect a new Atlus game for 3DS announced on thursday?
EO5 has been released and right now, if i'm not wrong, they don't have anything coming out for 3DS in the next months/early next year.
Maybe it's time for DS3?

FluxWaveZ

Is it plausible to expect a new Atlus game for 3DS announced on thursday?
EO5 has been released and right now, if i'm not wrong, they don't have anything coming out for 3DS in the next months/early next year.
Maybe it's time for DS3?

Not plausible, no. All their notable teams have just finished working on big projects (#FE, P5, EOV, SMT IV Final). Plus, Atlus announces their games independently now, they don't really need something like a Nintendo Direct to do so.

Top Bottom