• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 25 Apr - 1 May

heidern

duckroll said:
That's what I've been seeing! I want the photoshops, the witty retorts, the declaration of victories, etc! :lol

The reason for this is the unique evolution of the Nintendo fanboy. With the original handheld race not meriting any debate due to the utter lack of competition it has fallen upon the Nintendo consoles to be in the spotlight. Due to the fact that Nintendo have been on a constant losing streak these past 7 years Nintendo fans have been accustomed to being on the backfoot. The years of torture have hardened the defenses to a ridiculous degree. No matter how dire the situation, it can always be twisted somehow towards the positive points.

On the other hand, the hat0rz, more commonly known as Sony fans or their less experienced cousins the xdudes/xdudettes have had years of practice sharpening their comedic photoshop skills. Thus the situation is of the irresistable force meeting the immovable object, resulting in the tamest of topics exploding into a massive thread. Celebrating victory is still in many ways an alien concept to the Nintendo fan and it will take time to overcome before he panache and style is honed to perfection.

Moreover there are a couple of further underlying problems. In addition to Nintendo fans having lack of offensive practice, Sony fans have had little exposure to the nuances of a finely balanced defense. We see a couple of half hearted attempts, only to be entirely undermined by Sony fans only too willing to accept defeat. Kicking an opponent when they're down and out is hardly a commendable trait. After all, Nintendo are supposed to be the good guys...

The other underlying problem is that success is still not assured. Mass celebration now would only see an increase in any retort were Sony to come back and shatter the hopes. In many ways, it's still almost seen as inevitable. This fear will no doubt hinder Nfans from getting too carried away in any premature victory parade. But all is not lost. I tell you now, if some Sony fans can summon up the wherewithal to carry the fight even now, the resultant regimen would serve as an effective preperation for the unprecedented avalanche of triumphalism that would follow an unequivocal victory for the DS.

Kamtendo

Neo Member
Good to see the DS continuing to do well. I don't care who wins in the end, as long as DS atleast keeps pace w/ the PSP, then I'm happy.

Fularu

Banned
Amir0x said:
I read that, heidern, and I was like...heh...smiling the whole time. Well played, my friend, well played :)

Well this picture (from the famitsu 40 thread, drawn by the sincity avatar user (forgot his handle) is still the best I have ever seen

4qkleg

Amir0x

Banned
Fularu said:
Well this picture (from the famitsu 40 thread, drawn by the sincity avatar user (forgot his handle) is still the best I have ever seen

4qkleg

Yeah, I saw that in the Nintendogs superthread. Junkwaffle owns :D

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
nintendo fans can lecture sententiously. they can mutely suffer. they're very good at being offended. and sometimes they just lose their minds. but very few nintendo fans can engage in facetious back-and-forth, or take jokes in their intended spirit. why? because they take their nintendo very, very seriously. that's the whole story. or as much of it as i can tell without offending nintendo fans.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
drohne said:
nintendo fans can lecture sententiously. they can mutely suffer. they're very good at being offended. and sometimes they just lose their minds. but very few nintendo fans can engage in facetious back-and-forth, or take jokes in their intended spirit. why? because they take their nintendo very, very seriously. that's the whole story. or as much of it as i can tell without offending nintendo fans.

nintendo is serious business :mad:

drohne said:
the ds is outselling sony's juggernaut week after week in japan because of a piece of software where you pet videogame dogs with a plastic stick

:)

Amir0x

Banned
Mike Works said:
the ds is outselling sony's juggernaut week after week in japan because of a piece of software where you pet videogame dogs with a plastic stick

And they wear cute lil' luigi hats!

NintendogsWB.jpg

Mrbob

Mike Works said:

Don't forget the PINK DS.

Sony getting owned by pink.

Monk said:
I want to know what proportion of those ds sales are to women and children.

Even if it was selling mostly to women and children, it means that more female gamers are picking up the system and/or game and it's expanding the market. You would see a much different industry if there were just about as many female gamers as male.

Amir0x

Banned
gamergirly said:
Even if it was selling mostly to women and children, it means that more female gamers are picking up the system and/or game and it's expanding the market. You would see a much different industry if there were just about as many female gamers as male.

No matter how many females buy Nintendogs, it is going to be a long, cold day in hell before there is as many females as males that play games ;)

Mrbob said:
Don't forget the PINK DS.

Sony getting owned by pink.
Seriously, it's one thing that Nintendo's aggrivating people who don't like them by currently besting Sony with a third tier product.

But to do it with a dog petting simulation?

And a pink system?

That's like five slaps in the face right there.

drohne

Mike Works said:

fuckin crazy, isn't it? i probably should be offended. but i don't really have a righteous tantrum in me. i dunno. maybe next week.

Amir0x

Banned
Mike Works said:
Seriously, it's one thing that Nintendo's aggrivating people who don't like them by currently besting Sony with a third tier product.

And a pink system?

With a white glove!

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
No matter how many females buy Nintendogs, it is going to be a long, cold day in hell before there is as many females as males that play games ;)
My Nintendogs friends list has more females than males :D

PkunkFury

Amir0x said:

ummm, check out the yahoo game rooms, or myspace or the like. You'd be surprised how many females are playing games, they just aren't playing the games we normally associate with the term.

Odnetnin

Banned
Mike Works said:

And a pink system?

Mike Works in a sales thread? :) The power of Nintendogs.

Seriously, Sony is getting so bitchslapped by Nintendo and their pet simulator right now that its not funny.

I mean Nintendo has got females talking to their dses and blowing at it to. How many consoles can get a blowjob from their female fanbase?

Amir0x

Banned
PkunkFury said:
ummm, check out the yahoo game rooms, or myspace or the like. You'd be surprised how many females are playing games, they just aren't playing the games we normally associate with the term.

You're acting like I'm denying girls play games or something. The only thing is it's pretty much fact that there are way more male gamers than female gamers. That's the whole reason the majority of games cater towards such a specific demographic :p It's not really hard to understand.

But not Nintendogs! Nintendogs has FEMALE power.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Does this mean the industry has the same amount of females as males now?"

NO, it just potentially shows that Nintendo know how to appeal to the wider market

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:
NO, it just potentially shows that Nintendo know how to appeal to the wider market

oh yeh, i mean, obviously so. i was just saying, hell will freeze before there are as many female gamers as male gamers ;)

EDIT: YOU ARE ALL TOO SARCASTIC FOR ME.

DCharlie

"oh yeh, i mean, obviously so. i was just saying, hell will freeze before there are as many female gamers as male gamers ;)"
i'd agree - but it's a lot closer to parity here than it is in the west.

As an aside, there were lots of VERY hot women in the games departments of stores in London - specifically on Oxford street. Two model looking girls playing Splintercell was somewhat of a strange thing to see....

Striek

PkunkFury said:
Or how many males pretend they are females ;)

DCharlie

females pretend to be males too! *side glance to girlfriend*

.... unless ....

OH MY GOD I THINK I'M GONNA BE SICK! :D

There are no DS fans, only Sony and Drinky Crow haters.

The fact that no-one honestly likes the DS hardware lets me sleep at night.

DCharlie said:
females pretend to be males too! *side glance to girlfriend*

.... unless ....

OH MY GOD I THINK I'M GONNA BE SICK! :D

If you need to be reminded sometimes, just take your gf to the bathroom.

"Hey woman! I need to check your genitals to make sure you didnt shape shift while I was sleeping"

Odnetnin

Banned
Striek said:
Or how many males pretend they are females ;)

well, a lot of japanese boys.. aren't very manly per say. Hard to describe; fairly cutish, into handbags and makeup. I think DCharlie can tell us more

drohne

yeah, perhaps that's another reason no one celebrates when the ds does well: nobody really likes the ds. there are people who like nintendo and dislike sony, and whose position on current handhelds follows. but who actually enjoys the ds? radioheadrule? maybe jonnyram? the party line seems to be: "well, the psp sucks too." that's not encouraging.

Odnetnin

Banned
drohne said:
yeah, perhaps that's another reason no one celebrates when the ds does well: nobody really likes the ds. there are people who like nintendo and dislike sony, and whose position on current handhelds follows. but who actually enjoys the ds? radioheadrule? maybe jonnyram? the party line seems to be: "well, the psp sucks too." that's not encouraging.

I think I'll like the DS, I wasn't even too horrified by the 3d when I was demoed Mario 64ds by the EBguys here. I already mentioned it does have titles that I want to play: Here again. Problem is most of the titles so far, I'm not interested in too much. Meteos US release will probably see me buying a DS finally. (But the rumours of a handheld revisions might see me holding off til post E3). Anyhow, here's my list. I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy these 100%

Yoshi
Kirby
Meteos
Goemon
Castlevania
Electroplankton
SE titles

DCharlie

"well, a lot of japanese boys.. aren't very manly per say. Hard to describe; fairly cutish, into handbags and makeup. I think DCharlie can tell us more"

you're confusing Gackt with the entire male population of Japan.

Japanese guys are like western guys. They vary!

"yeah, perhaps that's another reason no one celebrates when the ds does well:"

almost everyone i know who really likes the DS also has a PSP. We love both machines in different ways. And i think most people are at the point , given the overal anti-DS sentiment, can't be arsed with "celebrating"

It's not about liking the hardware - it's about liking what is being done/what is cabable on the hardware that isn't possible on the PSP. and vice versa.

I wouldn't want to watch movies on the PSP - and i wouldn't want to play games like Zoo Keeper without a stylus...

drohne

come on: buying a console for meteos? spending real money on electroplankton? this is the forum talking. this is the forum talking, then taking out your wallet, and then spending your money on ridiculous crap. who curls up with electroplankton? just play your psp and be happy.

Jonnyram

drohne said:
but who actually enjoys the ds?
It has more to do with the games than the hardware. Same goes for PSP. I've got a bunch of enjoyable games for both systems. I can see why over in the US some people hate the DS, because Nintendo hasn't helped much on that side of the water, but the Japanese releases have been solid. I also think there is an image problem with enjoying the DS, though, so I understand why some of you are scared to enjoy it.

DCharlie

"come on: buying a console for meteos? spending real money on electroplankton? this is the forum talking. this is the forum talking, then taking out your wallet, and then spending your money on total crap. who curls up with electroplankton? just play your psp and be happy."
too much opinion in there to address really.
I'm MORE than happy with my DS purchase , thanks. I _like_ the games i have for it.

I'm not scared to ENJOY the DS; the DS has nothing that elicits a sense of enjoyment. However, I *am* scared to be seen in public with the DS. Not only would that pigeonhole me as a person with no taste in electronic gadgetry and as someone contemptuous of fun, it would put me in the family of those dissonant, dysfunctional halfwits that muck about with Nintendogs and call themselves amused. As a chronic nerd, I don't need the shame of Nintendo fanboyism added to my litany of faults, thanks.

drohne said:
I'm fairly certain there are at least two.. maybe even more! people on the forum who have purchased Nintendogs, and thus are enjoying their DS. The party line seems to be "go DS/Nintendogs".

Don't get me wrong, everyone who enjoys their DS- and more enjoy watching Doug and a select few others wriggle uncomfortably every time a thread like this is made, what with their claims that Nintendogs isn't a real game, or no one actually enjoys the DS. I'm just saying don't get confused into thinking no one likes the DS.

If no one liked it, it wouldn't be outselling the PSP!

Then again, there aren't any PSP games on the sales charts... maybe no one likes PSP software?

Haha, I'm just kidding. A lot of people like ports.

DCharlie

"You also bought a PSX. I think you'd be happy with a painted rock."

I wasn't happy with the PSX.
The painted rock...? i'm waiting for the white edition...

I can't help that i just like games - the more hardware the better.

Best to check everything out and decide on what is good / bad for me whilst i can.

Mike Works said:

And a pink system?

Should Kaz or Katarugi wear ribbons of shame? :D

If no one liked it, it wouldn't be outselling the PSP!

By that token, when Ashlee Simpson outsells Thom Yorke's latest, we should likewise come to the conclusion that folks sincerely love her work.

I like to take the opposite tack: the Ashlee Simpson fans REALLY FUCKING HATE MUSIC.

Top Bottom