• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 18 - 24 Apr

Oogami

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I get the feeling is Nintendogs takes off and hits a million, you wouldn't show your face on these boards anyway.

I think it could be comparable to Pokemon because it does have the "playground" factor going for it, and by that I mean, when one kid takes this to school and shows his firends his virtual puppy and how it responds to his name etc. etc. etc., his friend then goes home and makes his parents buy him one too.

You never know .... it could happen here. I can see this causing a lot of kids to go crazy once they see it.

If I'm a kid I know I wouldn't show the virtual puppy to anyone. :\

I still play Pokemon and battles with others though. Pokemon is just so much cooler.

What numbers are you looking at?

The lead this week supposed is only 60k for the DS. Last month PSP lead every week at about 20k. So that's 2-3 weeks of lead.

Acosta

I suppose it's not over, it's too soon. But I have to take off the hat (again) to Nintendo. It´s a really clever and intelligent company that know how to manage its system. They are humans, they make mistakes. But the way they are imposing DS in Japan to PSP, even whith the technologic difference, it´s impressive.

The lead this week supposed is only 60k for the DS. Last month PSP lead every week at about 20k. So that's 2-3 weeks of lead.

Just for curiosity, how do you explain that the DS japanese userbase it´s almost the double than PSP?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Oogami said:
The DS has been ahead for the past few weeks, actually. Not to mention by about a million in general.

Oogami

Banned
duckroll said:
There is damage control and then there is damage control. You're starting to sound awfully close to those Nintendo fans way back now. I'm ashamed to be associated with you, I thought most of the people supporting the PSP were supposed to be supporting it simply because that was the rational thing to do. But I guess that's not always the case. :D

What's not rational about my math? It IS about 2-3 weeks of lead! Big deal.

After a month or so PSP will regain the lead again, so give it just only 2-3 weeks of a PSP lead, this week of the DS lead will be even out.

Plus the biggest market which is America is favoring the PSP right now much more than DS. Plus GT4 mobile and FF7: AC and FF7: CC and GTA and a lot of big PSP games still yet to be released. Give it time. Just trying to talk some sense into the forum. That's all.

Oogami said:
If I'm a kid I know I wouldn't show the virtual puppy to anyone. :\

I still play Pokemon and battles with others though. Pokemon is just so much cooler.

Yeah because Harry Potter and Tickle Me Elmo and Tamgotchi and Furby and friggin PIKACHU are so cool.

Kids go crazy over this kind of stuff all the time. Japan is actually overdue for some kind of wacky new craze.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Oogami said:

After a month or so PSP will regain the lead again, so give it just only 2-3 weeks of a PSP lead, this week of the DS lead will be even out.

Plus the biggest market which is America is favoring the PSP right now much more than DS. Plus GT4 mobile and FF7: AC and FF7: CC and GTA and a lot of big PSP games still yet to be released. Give it time. Just trying to talk some sense into the forum. That's all.
Dude, seriously, where are you getting this shit? You're just making crap up at this point.

duckroll

Oogami said:

Your flaw lies in that the DS actually had a 1 million headstart off the PSP. That's how many week? :lol We were all hopeful the PSP would eventually beat the lead the DS originally had if it stayed in the lead FOREVER. But now that the DS has taken back the lead and by 60k no less, it's look very bleak. Where's your maths for that now? :D

Regain what lead? The DS *is* in the lead, always has been. The "lead" you take about from the start of 2005 is simply the PSP working from a negative lead to attempt to actually gain one.

Lil' Dice

Banned
DSvspsp.jpg

I really hoped for a better showing from the PSP, it would give me a reason to support it.

heidern

Jonnyram said:
heidern said:
Oh btw, what with Nintendogs hitting well over the earlier 135K report and managing 182K, what would you all say the chances are of the hardware sales being simlar, and actually hitting 90-100K rather than the 72K reported?

Dengeki says 95,000 for the DS, so the Media Create figure is likely true.

Well that answers that then. That really is a huge increase and it is definitely not just because of the colours. With Golden Week coming up and Nintendogs possibly being so strong the sales may hold up quite well. I could see it staying over 80K for another week or so, and then levelling out to around 60K. Although more likely is that it will hold out around 40-50K. I dunno, after this, can you guys really see the DS heading back to the sub 25K mark anytime soon? It's kinda ironic that the psp had a fairly decent week with 2 new games doing quite solidly and a 20% increase in hardware sales. Man did it get stomped by teh puppies this week.

From Nintendo's perspective you want to keep having the occasional week like this because they basically just wiped out more than 3 weeks of the PSP outselling them.

They probably could end this year in Japan with the DS leading, and then in 2006, you likely get Game Boy Next also entering the fray.

That's probably about what Nintendo is hoping to do.

If Nintendogs starts to get new users and word of mouth, that could cause an elongated period of higher-than-normal sales.

To me it looks like a game you'd want to take and show friends rather than just sit inside and play by yourself.

Acosta

Sorry you are not making sense to me at all. Why do you asume PSP will recover the lead the next month? (and it never was a true lead as brightly says Duckroll) You are just deniyng reality right now, The actual situation is this and it´not good for PSP, you should assume it. Then you can think what you want about the future and the effect of the games (I remind you that DS will have important games as well).

GA console vision it´s about present, and the actual situation it´s far of being good for PSP. And things doen´t look good for Golden Week. If Nintendogs has sold near 200.000 units in four days, in holiday session it could present very big numbers. You should forsee that situation and adopt a less offensive defense of your position.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Oogami said:
You never heard of GTA PSP, GT4 mobile, FF7: AC and FF7: CC?
I'm referring to your "fuzzy" math, plus that you can say that America is "favoring" the PSP after one month. You sure do like to jump to conclusions. I could also list a whole bunch of big upcoming DS games, too, but I don't feel it's necessary.

duckroll said:
Hey DS/Nintendog fans, you guys won fair and square but now could you please entertain us with kickass photoshops like the one above while we weep? Here are some ideas: A giant Nintendog stepping on the PSP and smashing it (take the smashed PSP pic from that smashing video), a Nintendog biting Kutaragi, etc.

Be creative! Thanks! :D

I think Gahiggady is saving up for E3. :lol

Link said:
I'm referring to your "fuzzy" math, plus that you can say that America is "favoring" the PSP after one month. You sure do like to jump to conclusions. I could also list a whole bunch of big upcoming DS games, too, but I don't feel it's necessary.

Pokemon... n'uff said

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Oogami said:

Banned?

heidern

Oogami said:

You're math is very irrational. Very very irrational. The worst ever DS sales are 22,000 for a week. The psp has been averaging 30,000 for the past month. Therefore, this one week is the equivalent of 6 weeks of any upcoming psp lead. That is a worst case scenario and making the big assumption that the DS sales will divebomb.

Secondly, you give no reason why the psp should regain the lead. If anything, the DS will continue its lead, probably an average of 30K a week for the next couple of weeks. Of course then Gundam releases for the DS and sales go back up again.

3rd, you're games list is shit. FF7:AC is a UMD movie, it won't have much of an affect. Secondly this is Japanese sales and GTA is irrelevent. 3rd, FF7:CC isn't due till next year, whereas DraQue Slime Mori Mori is this summer, and hey let's not forget Pokemon! Oh fuck, why am I even bothering. It's just a simple fact that the psp has got it's work cut out just to even match the DS. You're talk of an easy and inevitible victory is exceedingly arrogant and ignorant. Actually, you should know you're behind when even psp fans are dogging on you for trolling the DS. So yeah, you should quit while you're behind.

I do think in about 2-3 weeks, the PSP will be back on top on a week to week basis, but if Nintendo can get enough of these occasional "spurts" (Mario Kart, Final Fantasy III, Jump Super Stars, Animal Crossing, then the big one with Pokemon) throughout the rest of the year, they probably can get out of 2005 still ahead of the PSP.

I think also perhaps just as importantly, they are starting to release different kinds of content which really do show off the DS as an "alternative" or different kind of game platform.

Juice

All I know is that those puppies are really fucking cute.

And that in five years we'll all be talking about how the DS was the anti-Virtual Boy and how it saved Nintendo the same way the VB was supposed to fend off the invading consoles until the N64 was released.

I'm shocked and awed. I was honestly expecting Nintendo to get shalacked so far. And this is coming from a guy who bought two DS's on launch day knowing there wasn't a game he cared about for three more months coming up.

Amir0x

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I do think in about 2-3 weeks, the PSP will be back on top on a week to week basis, but if Nintendo can get enough of these occasional "spurts" (Mario Kart, Final Fantasy III, Jump Super Stars, Animal Crossing, then the big one with Pokemon) throughout the rest of the year, they probably can get out of 2005 still ahead of the PSP.

I think also perhaps just as importantly, they are starting to release different kinds of content which really do show off the DS as an "alternative" or different kind of game platform.

But first? Purple and Polka Dotted DS colors to come in june. 140k DS sold.

Good for Nintendo, i'm glad they've got some software that's bringing about some real handheld gaming buzz and not more news about crappy umd movies lol. God knows as a PSP owner i only wish i had something to crow about in the next few months. But i digress, while there are still no games that make me want to buy a DS my PSP will be facing certain mutiny if Sony doesn't bring some a-list games to E3 for it.

badE3.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
michael000 said:
But i digress, while there are still no games that make me want to buy a DS my PSP will be facing certain mutiny if Sony doesn't bring some a-list games to E3 for it.

badE3.jpg

You'll be getting plenty of AA games for both come E3 announcements, believe me! :D

Anyway, you should have made the PSP cover that guy falling off the deck. That would have been doubly awesome!

Hey look guys, Nintendo DS has leveled up!

CHARTOFSUCCESS2.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
OH NO THE WORLD IS ENDI...wait, is the psp still great? it is? and is the ds still total garbage? it is, huh? then little has changed!

i guess this should be distressing to people who want good games on handhelds. but somehow i still can't imagine that the psp's comprehensive superiority won't eventually translate to market victory. shrug. maybe i'm an idealist.

rod

Banned
Amir0x said:
You'll be getting plenty of AA games for both come E3 announcements, believe me! :D

Anyway, you should have made the PSP cover that guy falling off the deck. That would have been doubly awesome!

Hey look guys, Nintendo DS has leveled up!

CHARTOFSUCCESS2.jpg

love that diagram :lol

AniHawk

drohne said:
OH NO THE WORLD IS ENDI...wait, is the psp still great? it is? and is the ds still total garbage? it is, huh? then little has changed!

i guess this should be distressing to people who want good games on handhelds. but somehow i still can't imagine that the psp's comprehensive superiority won't eventually translate to market victory. shrug. maybe i'm an idealist.

Well I just don't know how one really good week for the DS compared to an okay week for the PSP translates into HAHAHAHA PSP AM FUCKED.

Oogami has a point too, the PSP is a lot more popular in the US (at least from what I've seen). Nintendo might have a better time selling the DS if it were $100 like their other Game B- er... handhelds. :)

Amir0x said:

Well i'm not quite ready to make my PSP walk the plank just yet. Post E3 judgement will be passed and the PSP in above pic will either be back on the boat or talking said guys place falling off :D

Oh and you left gizmondo off the chart, that's got to be below n-gage level heh.

Oogami

Banned
drohne said:

Huh what are you talking about? DS has more and better games than the PSP. Just Mario 64 DS, WarioWare: Touched, Yoshi Touch and Go, Harvest Moon DS, Feel the Magic, Meteos, Another Code, Kirby DS, and Nintendogs alone are better than the PSP lineup already. DS is awesome and the better system deserves for selling better.

I don't think its a question of "OMG, DS is doing well, traditional gaming is doomed!!!!"

The Game Boy Next is likely to be more powerful than the PSP even.

What I see happening is the DS is starting to really establish itself as its own kind of platform, which is cool. It's a huge industry, why not have one different kind of platform which targets more casual/non-players?

And then you can throw in the more traditional types of games like Advance Wars DS and Final Fantasy III and what not.

There's nothing wrong with having a different philosophy, where Nintendo gets in trouble is when they don't execute that said philosophy properly. GBA-to-GCN link up was a great idea, the way it was handled though was terrible. I'm starting to feel like the DS is finding its "groove" at least in Japan.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
mario 64 is overwhelmingly the most popular ds game. i don't think the platform is different in any meaningful way. i think its success is rooted in brand and price, and i think it's selling to basically the gba audience.

drohne said:
mario 64 is overwhelmingly the most popular ds game. i don't think the platform is different in any meaningful way. i think its success is rooted in brand and price, and i think it's selling to basically the gba audience.

Yeah that was the problem I had early on with the unit. Now we're seeing more games like Nintendogs, which actually back up what Iwata has been ranting about.

These types of games are different and new and utilize the system in a much better way and they are playable for non-gamers and gamers alike.

Really I think Nintendogs is the real launch of the DS, they rushed it to market beforehand to get a heads up on the PSP (not saying that was the wrong move, if they had to do it again, Nintendo would probably try to launch even earlier).

Sales surged to almost 100k ... that can't all be because of new colors, because Nintendo offered new colors a few weeks ago and only did half of those numbers. So Nintendogs played a part I'm sure.

Oogami

Banned
AniHawk said:
Well I just don't know how one really good week for the DS compared to an okay week for the PSP translates into HAHAHAHA PSP AM FUCKED.

Oogami has a point too, the PSP is a lot more popular in the US (at least from what I've seen). Nintendo might have a better time selling the DS if it were $100 like their other Game B- er... handhelds. :)

Yeah Nintendo definitely need to worry about the America market, cuz it's the biggest market in gaming. Plus we will see the PSP doing a lot better in America. Not many Western companies are putting efforts into the DS it seems and favoring the PSP instead.

Oogami said:
Yeah Nintendo definitely need to worry about the America market, cuz it's the biggest market in gaming. Plus we will see the PSP doing a lot better in America. Not many Western companies are putting efforts into the DS it seems and favoring the PSP instead.

I think Sony made a mistake in not pricing the PSP at $199.99 US in North America. $250 limits how much damage the PSP can really do to the DS over here.

$100 is too big of a price gap for a portable product, it gives Nintendo too much time to get their shit together in North America.

Jonnyram

Oogami said:
I see the same thing happening next gen with the 360 vs PS3 too (US=360, JP=PS3). It's gonna be very interesting if we have such an international split.

Well Nintendo needs to worry more about the US market because they don't really have a lot of good Western content exclusive. Rare was always kinda there for them with the N64, but now that they're gone, Retro/NST really haven't filled that gap as well.

They should really think about signing a deal with Blizzard to bring games like Starcraft to the DS.

But on the flipside, they also have a bigger headstart in the US.

AniHawk

I think Sony made a mistake in not pricing the PSP at $199.99 US in North America. $250 limits how much damage the PSP can really do to the DS over here.

$100 is too big of a price gap for a portable product, it gives Nintendo too much time to get their shit together in North America.

I think sonycowboy said this, I can't be sure (though I agree with him)- but when the PSP DOES drop to the $200 core pack, it will look like a price drop for the system. A lot of customers don't really know what it comes with (or the price of the machine). Still, when commercials begin airing for the PSP being "Just $199," you can bet there'll be a big sales increase, because people think they'll be getting more for less.

This gives Sony a lot of room. They can probably sell the system for the entire year at $250, so they can catch up on their losses. Then when the next Game Boy releases, it'll probably be the same price and have a much bigger library.

Now, for the DS, NoA really needs to get off their asses. Kirby should've really been out next month. Meteos should've been out even earlier. We're still getting leftovers from Japanese launch like Polarium. It's ridiculous.

On a personal note, I'm having a blast with Yoshi Touch & Go. At first I found it amazingly shallow and boring. However, over the past few weeks, I've grown addicted to it. Sometimes in breaks between classes (or... during Physics), I just play Marathon mode for a little bit and try to beat my own high score. I've figured out strategies to both parts of the game it's just so gosh-darn fun.

The problem by waiting to release the "regular pak" Sony has basically given Nintendo several months to get their act together, and possibly drop the DS to the magic $99.99 price point, which is a more significant drop than going from $250 to $199.

I don't even know why specifically but consumers just got batshit crazy over that price.

What Nintendo really needs to do (and this isn't just in relation to the DS) is just bite the bullet and set up a kick ass Western dev studio -- one that can pump out 2-4 good titles every year.

NST doesn't cut it, and Retro has a good thing going, I dunno if expanding them that much would be a good idea.

Kseutron

Oogami said:

yes cuz it's really easier for them to just port their ps2 games to the psp

but won't the gamers get tired of buying the same game twice ?

Top Bottom