• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Xbox Summit 2005: July 25th

PhatSaqs

Banned
Im expecting to be underwhelmed.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/631/631110p1.html

By now, we're sure Xbox 360 fans have heard some buzz about a big Summer event where Microsoft Japan will spill the miso about its plans for the 360 in the Japanese market. Today, we received final details on the event.

Mark your calendars for July 25. Starting at 1:30 PM on that day, Microsoft Japan will hold the Xbox Summit 2005 in Tokyo. Over the course of one and a half hours, the company promises to unveil the new Xbox 360 Japanese lineup and share final details on the system's Asian launch.
This is the very event that Microsoft Japan chief Xboxer Yoshihiro Maruyama promised would be a "product unveiling on the scale of E3." This is the very event that got IGN so excited that it moved its Japanese office to the Maruyama region of Tokyo's Shibuya ward (seriously... we're right between Hotel Best 1 and Hotel Aine Resort... drop by if you're in the area!).

Microsoft has hinted that we'll get to see new Japanese titles, aside from the Mistwalker games that debuted prior to E3. IGN has even heard rumors that there will be a few big surprises. Want more? You'll have to wait until 7/25.

llTll

Banned
so 25th in japan is like 24th or close to in US

19 days to go.... man thats too long :(

but no worries. knowing MS. we will get the leaks i would say in.... 3 days max :D

bloke

Hmmm, someone leaked that 7/25 date on Xbox360 2ch board few days ago, and how RR and WE will be there. VF5, FF13 and MO (?) were mentioned aswell but I'm not sure if it was from same person.

Awesome! I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

bloke said:
Hmmm, someone leaked that 7/25 date on Xbox360 2ch board few days ago, and how RR and WE will be there. VF5, FF13 and MO (?) were mentioned aswell but I'm not sure if it was from same person.

FF13? Gotta be bs! Square will finally show FF12 on July 30, FF13 is far, far away and will most likely be a PS3 exclusive title.

What is MO?

sangreal

bloke said:

RR = Ridge Racer
WE = ??
VF5 = Virtua Fighter 5
FF13 = Final Fantasy 13
MO = ??

I think there is zero chance of FF13 being there. FF12 isn't out yet so it wouldn't make sense to show FF13 even if it were coming to X360 (and I don't think thats outside the realm of possibility). They're going to be trying to hype up FF12 the following week at Square Party and it would just be a distraction.

bloke

I dunno what's MO either, but like Ive said, same person that knew about that date also mentioned RR and WE, I'm not sure about other stuff.

Jonnyram

You sure MO isn't Makaimura Online? :D
FFX and FFXI were announced before FFIX came out, just for your information. FFXII has been in development for so long now that XIII can't be too far behind.

llTll

Banned
sangreal said:
Didn't Sony acquire Matrix Online?

edit: dammit, beaten again

last time i checked the game, it looked like ps2 game. who wants it on xbox 360???

unless i was blind and didnt look good, then there is nothing to miss

as for the games i want / i think it will be annouced:

a new MMORPG game from SquareEnix
a new VF game
a new House of the dead game
a new afterburner game
a new sonic game
a new Ninja gaiden game

thats what is in my head right now

even though i doubt VF being on xbox 360 since 4 was on ps2. but i dont know.

sangreal

Jonnyram said:
FFX and FFXI were announced before FFIX came out, just for your information.
Didn't know that. I guess Square doesn't care since everyone knows the next game is coming anyway. Still, dropping a megaton like FFXIII for X360 will definitely take away from the FF12 Square Party hype. There is supposed to be a surprise announced at the party though (related to FF12?).

Elios83 said:
The only probable title seems Ridge Racer to me but who knows.

Ridge Racer alone would almost satisfy me as far as this Xbox 360 Japanese event

....well, that and some awesome SEGA game announcements.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
share final details on the system's Asian launch

This suggests we'll have US/Euro launch details by the 25th, so..? It seems about time MS announced launch details.

As for games, I'd like to see some big franchises, and lotsa obscure quirky stuff.

llTll

Banned
midnightguy said:
Ridge Racer alone would almost satisfy me as far as this Xbox 360 Japanese event

....well, that and some awesome SEGA game announcements.

RR.. i love...

I wouldn't care for a FF13 on x360, but it would be hilarious watching people try to downplay the FF franchise as being anything other than a megaton-get for MS.

llTll

Banned
Sal Paradise Jr said:
I wouldn't care for a FF13 on x360, but it would be hilarious watching people try to downplay the FF franchise as being anything other than a megaton-get for MS.

i really doubt FF13 on xbox 360.. i really really doubt it

Sal Paradise Jr said:

It's already in development for PS3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
gonna see a release date and price? If so, wouldn't they announce US date and price first, or at least v.soon after?

mrklaw said:
gonna see a release date and price? If so, wouldn't they announce US date and price first, or at least v.soon after?

Good point. Maybe they'll be announced simultaneously. Certainly they won't announce the Japansese release date and price first.

Or maybe, this will strictly be a software announcement with a monster lineup of publishers and titles and hold off the release date & price until TGS.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
bloke said:
WE on Xbox 360 has been denied by about every sources I have, so that would be a BIG surprise for about everyone if it happened. As for the rest, I know nothing. But I doubt FF13 and VF5 will ever be released on 360.

llTll

Banned
Blimblim said:
WE on Xbox 360 has been denied by about every sources I have, so that would be a BIG surprise for about everyone if it happened. As for the rest, I know nothing. But I doubt FF13 and VF5 will ever be released on 360.

i agree about VF5 and FF13 [ i just was really hoping that it would be on 360]. simply sony wont let it happen. They know these are big games for them to lose. much like MGS game.s. and they have the upper hand above MS for this since VF4 was released on ps2

Jan

The way MS is heading os more to get talented and jobless mans and give they people and money than get companies .

But I´m still hope they can get some kind of big franchise or at least give Digital Rex 50 millions of $ to make Shenmue 3

jarrod

Banned
VF5 won't be there imo, Sega's priming it for arcades first most likely. After it's been out 6 months or so, then we'll start hearing about console releases... same goes for HotD4 and the new Afterburner imo. From Sega, Sonic 360 seems likely though imo and possibly a version of Phantasy Star Universe. Oh and From's Chrome Hounds also.

Ridge Racer and Winning Eleven seem like a lock. MGS pushed pretty hard to get WE on Xbox, I can see them doubling that effort to get it on 360 early. It is Japan's Madden after all. I'm not really expecting anything else new from Namco (not counting Frame City) or Konami though.

For the other big guys, Bandai might port/upgrade their Chihiro based Gundam Battle Simulator to 360. Capcom will probably only have Dead Rising. Square Enix will undoubtedly have just FFXI but I still think we'll see TFLO return as DQ Online too at some point. MGS must've done something big to get Square Enix on board. :)

We'll probably see some stuff from the little guys hopefully. Hudson, Genki, Atlus, SNK Playmore, Kotobuki System, Success, Taito, Koei, Game Arts, Idea Factory, Chunsoft, Marvelous Interactive, Tomy, Banpresto, Spike, Seta, Aruze, Jaleco, MTO, Takuyo, Nihon Falcom, Artdink, X-Nauts, Bunkasha Games and so on. So far really, we've only heard from Tecmo, From Software and Arika... MGS needs more rounded support than that.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Jeeze, there will probably be a ton of disapointed people here..

The Japaneese xbox support so far has been figure heads on crappy studios (see Artoon).
3 year old ports (see FFXI)
and Sega and Tecmo (what a shocker :lol )

I expect something to that caliber at the event.

Jesiatha

jarrod said:

MGS = Microsoft Game Studios = first party games. Unless you really think Microsoft is trying to get these games as first party content, you're using the term incorrectly.

Chiggs

Suikoguy said:
Jeeze, there will probably be a ton of disapointed people here..

The Japaneese xbox support so far has been figure heads on crappy studios (see Artoon).
3 year old ports (see FFXI)
and Sega and Tecmo (what a shocker :lol )

I expect something to that caliber at the event.

PS3 4 LYFE!!! AM I RITE???!!

jarrod

Banned
Jesiatha said:
MGS = Microsoft Game Studios = first party games. Unless you really think Microsoft is trying to get these games as first party content, you're using the term incorrectly.
I thought the entire Xbox division was under MGS? Unless I'm mistaken?

I'm saying the first party (in this case MGS) is lobbying to get certain 3rd party games on their machine... where's the fallacy with that? Unless MGS isn't the Xbox 1st party division, I don't see them problem?

Jesiatha

jarrod said:
I thought the entire Xbox division was under MGS? Unless I'm mistaken?

I'm saying the first party (in this case MGS) is lobbying to get certain 3rd party games on their machine... where's the fallacy with that? Unless MGS isn't the Xbox 1st party division, I don't see them problem?

No, the entire Xbox division isn't under MGS. MGS is the group that does first party development for Xbox and PC. We have nothing to do with 3rd party development and are a separate group from the Xbox organization. The Xbox group is the one who works with 3rd parties (and also 1st party) to get games developed and released for the system.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
jarrod's been saying it forever, and it makes perfect sense - Falcom and Microsoft are a match made in heaven. Falcom makes lots of Windows based PC games, Ys 6 was one of Japan's best selling PC games.... they also like supporting underdog systems (Turbo Duo, Saturn, hell even N*GAGE!). I'd love to see Falcom offer their support.

jarrod

Banned
Jesiatha said:
No, the entire Xbox division isn't under MGS. MGS is the group that does first party development for Xbox and PC. We have nothing to do with 3rd party development and are a separate group from the Xbox organization. The Xbox group is the one who works with 3rd parties (and also 1st party) to get games developed and released for the system.
Ah, thanks for the clairification. So MGS is only concerned with publishing their own content (on PC/Xbox)? Did they make the Shenmue II, PSO and Outrun 2 deals with Sega then? And do they work with Nintendo/THQ on coordinating Rare's GBA stuff?

djtiesto said:
jarrod's been saying it forever, and it makes perfect sense - Falcom and Microsoft are a match made in heaven. Falcom makes lots of Windows based PC games, Ys 6 was one of Japan's best selling PC games.... they also like supporting underdog systems (Turbo Duo, Saturn, hell even N*GAGE!). I'd love to see Falcom offer their support.
Yes I have. Had Ys VI been annouced for Xbox back in 2001 (with the promise of further Falcom support), I bet the machine would've doubled the sales it's currently got. It's almost too perfect a match... so why the hell hasn't MGS Japan done anything about it? :/

Jesiatha

jarrod said:
Ah, thanks for the clairification. So MGS is only concerned with publishing their own content (on PC/Xbox)? Did they make the Shenmue II, PSO and Outrun 2 deals with Sega then? And do they work with Nintendo/THQ on coordinating Rare's GBA stuff?

Yes - MGS is first party published only.
Yes - those Sega games were published by MGS (at least in the US)
Maybe - Rare is under MGS, but they were published by THQ(?). My guess is that the development was done under the MGS banner but they were published externally. They're a pretty unique case and I don't know the details.

Jeff-DSA

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I don't see anything earth-shattering happening. Unless MS is going to be funneling millions into Square Enix's pockets real soon, I don't see full support coming from them.

As for Tecmo, well that's already a lock and new projects wouldn't surprise anybody.

As for the rest of Japan...ditto for what I said about Square Enix.

Top Bottom