• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Xbox Summit 2005: July 25th

I remember yellow ace saying: PS3 dev kits were refrigerator size and he was right. Second, he said that only a handful of devs had PS3 dev kits and he was right there too. And more recently: he said Ridge Racer is coming to xbox360 for sure.

MrSingh

sangreal said:
Then again, IIRC, YellowAce also said Konami cancelled all their X360 games because the PS3 is "orders of magnitude" more powerful :)

just repeating what some people at Konami said, tongue in cheek. ;)

sometimes rumors don't pan out (like Viewtiful Joe coming to Xbox etc.).

sangreal

YellowAce said:
just repeating what some people at Konami said, tongue in cheek. ;)

sometimes rumors don't pan out (like Viewtiful Joe coming to Xbox etc.).

I know, I'm just giving you a hard time :)

Elios83

Itagaki is preparing his next gen betrayal.
He has already dropped hints :lol :lol he's disappointed with traditional DVDs on Xbox360 and the CPU is a new Saturn.
Clearly he still has to decide which platform he will support seriously for the rest of the generation after Doa4.

sangreal

Elios83 said:
He has already dropped hints :lol :lol he's disappointed with traditional DVDs on Xbox360 and the CPU is a new Saturn.
Clearly he still has to decide which platform he will support seriously for the rest of the generation after Doa4.

Well, after DOA4 is Code Cronus which is already confirmed for X360. After that is DOAX2 which Itagaki has indicated will make use of Xbox Live. He just hasn't commented on NG2. I think there is a chance that he'll go multiplatform, but other than that I wouldn't expect any changes.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
sangreal said:
Well, after DOA4 is Code Cronus which is already confirmed for X360. After that is DOAX2 which Itagaki has indicated will make use of Xbox Live. He just hasn't commented on NG2. I think there is a chance that he'll go multiplatform, but other than that I wouldn't expect any changes.

Microsoft feeds his ego of being a star. His column in OXM, his colorful interviews. It's doubtful he is going anywhere. Multi maybe for NG2, but that is as far as I see it now.

PhatSaqs

Banned
sangreal said:
Well, after DOA4 is Code Cronus which is already confirmed for X360. After that is DOAX2 which Itagaki has indicated will make use of Xbox Live. He just hasn't commented on NG2.
Thats the thing tho. He's confirmed all of this for 360 already. There's a reason why he hasnt done the same for NG2.

Agent Icebeezy

PhatSaqs said:
Thats the thing tho. He's confirmed all of this for 360 already. There's a reason why he hasnt done the same for NG2.

Suspense, keeps his name in people's mouths.

Furthermore, look at the NPD thread. All of Tecmo's games are his games, he owns all the trump cards in his company. DOA3 and NG on a much smaller userbase. This could be a powerplay within Tecmo, or for Microsoft to pony up more money, or even Sony. Or it could be like what they are doing with GTA, but on a smaller scale

Redbeard

Banned
Elios83 said:

And I'm sure he just loves the Cell...

jarrod

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Has he always had this role or is this a new thing?
Recent... within the past 18 months iirc. Hence the weird rumors that Team Ninja would be doing Rygar 2 awhile back... it was actually just that Itagaki would be overseeing it's R&D (along with all other Tecmo games).

Mrbob

I expect to be playing Ninja Gaiden 2 in full 720P glory on X360. :)

But I'll own a PS3 too if betrayalton occurs.

Code Chronus may be a ways off, yet.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
golem:
if sega did have a powervr board why would they keep it quiet? it makes no sense (to me) that they wouldnt have announced that already, why hide an arcade board?
They did announce it, and its development progress has been updated continually. They just haven't unveiled it yet.

It's been demonstrated, though.

Gonna be weird as hell to see RR debuting on something else besides PlayStation, provided that it's RR6 and not some lame ass knock-off.

And why is everyone suspecting an Itagaki betrayal all of a sudden?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Sholmes said:
It mainly has to do with the IGN article and his being non-commital as to where NG2 is going system wise.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I'd really be happy if VF5 did make it to 360 close to the launch. Unlikely, but damn that would sell me on the system.

oh man if itagaki goes on ps3 i cant wait to see lots of the psyborgs start to suddenly enjoy his games and alot of the xbots will suddenly admit to his crappiness.

Good times are ahead if true.

Jesus man, a next-gen RR this year would be sweet.

I just hope it's not some half-assed affair outsourced to some no-name american dev team. Bring it Namco! (and keep the gameplay from RRPSP)

SolidSnakex said:
Because its Itagaki. At one time he was all over the PS2, and now look at his comments on the system.

Well, he only made one game for the PS2 and that was competing directly with Tekken Tag. And as the story goes, Tekken Tag blew DOA2:Hardcore away in terms of sales. Pretty sure Itagaki was pissed about that and so he converted to Xbox. Also, his games sell quite well on the Xbox.

But then again, I can see where people are coming from. Maybe that's why DOA4 doesn't look super next-gen amazing.

Sholmes said:
But then again, I can see where people are coming from. Maybe that's why DOA4 doesn't look super next-gen amazing.

I can actually see DoA staying on the Xbox, I don't think he wants anything to do with Tekken anymore. But other stuff he does has potential to go elsewhere I think.

jarrod

Banned
Actually, I thought Itagaki quite liked the Saturn architecture? He probably wouldn't have liked it as much had AM2 not handed their VF2 engine to him though. :)

Agent Icebeezy

Sholmes said:
Well, he only made one game for the PS2 and that was competing directly with Tekken Tag. And as the story goes, Tekken Tag blew DOA2:Hardcore away in terms of sales. Pretty sure Itagaki was pissed about that and so he converted to Xbox. Also, his games sell quite well on the Xbox.

It does look better, and that is just on alpha. I'm not going to yousend that 400MB+ vid of it, but it does. The game will looks much better come launch time

ohmy6ss.gif

moneyken6yv.jpg

itagakisan8je.jpg

Sholmes said:
Gonna be weird as hell to see RR debuting on something else besides PlayStation, provided that it's RR6 and not some lame ass knock-off.

It will be an RR title, just not RR6.

jarrod

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
It will be an RR title, just not RR6.
I wouldn't mind something along the lines of a visually beefed up Ridge Racers with online play. :)

Also, happen to know if it's being done by the "real" RR/MotoGP team?

Barnimal

Banned
itakagi LOVED the saturn. DOA came home on the saturn before anywhere else. that saturn comment CANT be a negative.

Well, the biggest thing to get Japan excited would be a new Dragon Quest game. Ridge Racer would be cool but not earth shattering to me, but interesting. Virtua Fighter 5 on 360 though would kick ass in all ways.

Or perhaps MS is taking Tekken from the PS3.

Any crazy idea would fly until the conference.

whatever Ridge Racer game the 360 is getting, I hope it has Rave Racer content, like PSP Ridge Racers, but on 360 it'll be high-resolution remade Rave Racer tracks :D

Sho Nuff

Banned
jarrod said:
Actually, I thought Itagaki quite liked the Saturn architecture? He probably wouldn't have liked it as much had AM2 not handed their VF2 engine to him though. :)

Er, but they didn't. The games DO look quite similar tho.

Barnimal

Banned
R racing wasnt ridge racer inspired. :lol it was poisoned by the sim trend. am2 didnt hand him the engine. they gave him open resources to the model 2 and saturn hardware.

jarrod

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
Er, but they didn't. The games DO look quite similar tho.
Er, you sure? I thought AM2/AM3's VF2 & Sega Rally engines were officially made part of the the Saturn SDK in 1996? I saw plenty of reports that these engines were later used in 3rd party games too (notably in Tecmo's DOA and Jaleco's Super GT 24h ports from Model 2)... was the entire mid 1990s gaming media mistaken?

megateto

Jonnyram said:
Yes. Full launch details are supposed to be revealed - date, price and games.

In Japan? THE announcement? MS is really pushing it, just like with the Xbox.. hopefully they get it right this time.

u_neek

YellowAce said:
it's a real next-gen RR. not RR inspired rubbish like R-Racing.

Cool, I'd definitely pick a true next-gen RR over PGR3.
Xbox 360 is alredy flooded with good racing games..

sangreal

u_neek said:
Cool, I'd definitely pick a true next-gen RR over PGR3.
Xbox 360 is alredy flooded with good racing games..
Yeah, they've got to be careful

RR
PGR3
TD:U
Full Auto
NFS:MW

all in the launch window? They can't all sell well

jarrod

Banned
sangreal said:
Yeah, they've got to be careful

RR
PGR3
TD:U
Full Auto

all in the launch window? They can't all sell well
Ridge Racer 360 will probably pull ahead worldwide, especially in Japan. PGR3 will sell decently, but not like PGR1 imo. Full Auto is different enough to maybe appeal to the combat racer/driver crowd but I don't see Test Drive doing well at all really. But then, it's got a PC port to help recoup costs.

Top Bottom