• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Xbox Summit 2005: July 25th

sangreal

jarrod said:
Ridge Racer 360 will probably pull ahead worldwide, especially in Japan. PGR3 will sell decently, but not like PGR1 imo. Full Auto is different enough to maybe appeal to the combat racer/driver crowd but I don't see Test Drive doing well at all really. But then, it's got a PC port to help recoup costs.

I don't see TD selling that wall either. I think it sounds good, but they haven't done a good job marketing it. Its an X360 exclusive, btw.

jarrod

Banned
sangreal said:
I don't see TD selling that wall either. I think it sounds good, but they haven't done a good job marketing it. Its an X360 exclusive, btw.
Er, is it? I was under the impression that there were PC and PS2 versions coming also?

The big sellers will be PGR3 and Full Auto. Since FA involves something other than just racing it'll be able to seperate itself enough to pull in a different market than typical racing fans.

SolidSnakex said:
The big sellers will be PGR3 and Full Auto. Since FA involves something other than just racing it'll be able to seperate itself enough to pull in a different market than typical racing fans.

Ridge Racer should sell at least a million units in NA if Namco brings new ideas to the table. The series needs some fresh new stuff like online play, car damage, etc. If RR360 has those then it should do well.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I think with RR around, PGR3 isn't going to do nearly as well as the first PGR. Unless it has an unparalleled online implementation anyway.

Doom_Bringer said:
Ridge Racer should sell at least a million units in NA if Namco brings new ideas to the table. The series needs some fresh new stuff like online play, car damage, etc. If RR360 has those then it should do well.

The series has never been a million seller in a single territory, I doubt its going to turn into one now. Online play still isn't big enough to pull a game up that much. PGR is atleast working on a fanbase its always been on so it can sell to that core fanbase and pull atleast 500k in the US. Even though PGR2 didn't sell as well as the original it still sold more than the best selling RR in the US.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The series has never been a million seller in a single territory, I doubt its going to turn into one now. Online play still isn't big enough to pull a game up that much. PGR is atleast working on a fanbase its always been on so it can sell to that core fanbase and pull atleast 500k in the US. Even though PGR2 didn't sell as well as the original it still sold more than the best selling RR in the US.
PGR's fanbase is hugely diminished though... the first game was almost a fluke thanks to no decent competition. PGR3 won't have that luxury. Looking at how RR PSP's performed, I have no doubt it's a stronger brand than PGR in probably every territory.

This is all beside the point though since NFS HP is going to kill every other 360 racer in sales anyway. ;)

SolidSnakex said:

Interesting.. why is Namco even bothering with RR360? They should just kill RR and make something new altogether!

sangreal

jarrod said:
PGR's fanbase is hugely diminished though... the first game was almost a fluke thanks to no decent competition. PGR3 won't have that luxury. Looking at how RR PSP's performed, I have no doubt it's a stronger brand than PGR in probably every territory.

This is all beside the point though since NFS HP is going to kill every other 360 racer in sales anyway. ;)

Oh right, I forgot about NFS:MW

jarrod said:

What exactly about RR's PSP numbers make you think its suddenly a stronger brand than PGR? While its true the original PGR had no competition, the sequel did and still sold more than any RR in the US. That says alot about just how popular the series are. The fanbase RR has just isn't as big as PGR's. Since that original RR title I don't think any game in the series has sold more than 300k in the US.

And yes if NFS is there then every other racer will get its ass handed to it, including PGR.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
sangreal said:
Yeah, they've got to be careful

RR
PGR3
TD:U
Full Auto
NFS:MW

all in the launch window? They can't all sell well

Then you've got Forza 2 coming in the pipes (probably late '06) and rumors of Burnout Revenge. Except for the Gran Turismo series, the Xbox 360 will be THE console for racing fans (assuming it supports force feedback this time). FPS and Action fans should get their fill as well.

The main problem with MS's consoles so far has been its lack of must have RPG's, Japanese games, kiddy games, platformers, exclusives and variety. It seems they're *trying* at least to remedy most of that.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
What exactly about RR's PSP numbers make you think its suddenly a stronger brand than PGR?
Attach rate. Plus it's certainly a bigger brand in Europe and Japan.

SolidSnakex said:
While its true the original PGR had no competition, the sequel did and still sold more than any RR in the US. That says alot about just how popular the series are. The fanbase RR has just isn't as big as PGR's. Since that original RR title I don't think any game in the series has sold more than 300k in the US.
I'm not so sure... those figures of jett's you keep reposting are incorrect according to sonycowboy. Plus PGR2 did around 60-70% of it's sales in bargin bins... that's not exactly a good indicator of "popularity".

sangreal

open_mouth_ said:
Then you've got Forza 2 coming in the pipes (probably late '06) and rumors of Burnout Revenge. Except for the Gran Turismo series, the Xbox 360 will be THE console for racing fans (assuming it supports force feedback this time). FPS and Action fans should get their fill as well.

The main problem with MS's consoles so far has been its lack of must have RPG's, Japanese games, kiddy games, platformers, exclusives and variety. It seems they're *trying* at least to remedy most of that.

Speaking of Forza 2..

Does anyone know if it was shown here? It certainly sounds like it

jarrod said:
Attach rate. Plus it's certainly a bigger brand in Europe and Japan.

I know its bigger in Japan, but do we have any numbers on either series for Europe?

jarrod said:
I'm not so sure... those figures of jett's you keep reposting are incorrect according to sonycowboy. Plus PGR2 did around 60-70% of it's sales in bargin bins... that's not exactly a good indicator of "popularity".

It's not hugely popular, i'm saying its just bigger than RR. The PSP version is basically selling in the range of the other games and I expect the overall sells to be the same as them too. I think for the most part the series it just too simplistic for most racing fans. Its why there are so few pure arcade racing games today.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
jarrod:
Er, you sure? I thought AM2/AM3's VF2 & Sega Rally engines were officially made part of the the Saturn SDK in 1996? I saw plenty of reports that these engines were later used in 3rd party games too (notably in Tecmo's DOA and Jaleco's Super GT 24h ports from Model 2)... was the entire mid 1990s gaming media mistaken?
The actual engines weren't included in either the Saturn or Model 2 developer toolset; the newer libraries for those systems were rewritten around the work that AM2 and other internal divisions had made with top games like Virtua Fighter 2 and others.

When designing the original Dead or Alive, Team Ninja's first such 3D fighting game, they sought some assistance from AM2 for the fundamental mechanics like getting the fighters to smoothly and responsively transition between different move animations and interactions. They didn't learn any specifics from them -- just that AM2's method was different than the direction they were headed. So, Team Ninja decided to continue their own way.

While Team Ninja benefited from the extra maturity of the Saturn's and Model 2's development environment evolved by SEGA's game studios, and also from the benchmark established by Virtua Fighter 2, they actually wrote their own tools for programming the games.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ridge Racer wasn't online though, if this one is, it'll be the start of something great

Agent Icebeezy said:
Ridge Racer wasn't online though, if this one is, it'll be the start of something great

How much do you think online play can really boost a series popularity? Especially when you consider its going head to head with the biggest arcade racing series out there (NFS).

Jonnyram

SolidSnakex said:
How much do you think online play can really boost a series popularity? Especially when you consider its going head to head with the biggest arcade racing series out there (NFS).
Are we talking about Japan now or the world in general? In Japan, NFS barely exists. Same goes for PGR. Japan is getting into online gaming now, and sales of Winning Eleven 8 Liveware Evolution were great, thanks to the addition of online.

I'm talking about worldwide. In Japan I think its obvious that Ridge Racer will sell the most, how much though is the question. For Europe and the US that's NFS territory and it can potentially pull down a million in each place. That'll make it the best selling 360 launch racer pretty easily I think.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SolidSnakex said:

Killer 7 represents the second game I bought that isn't online this year. RE4 was first.

I've bought 15 games this year, excluding games that have yet to come out this year.

tetsuoxb

Agent Icebeezy said:
Killer 7 represents the second game I bought that isn't online this year. RE4 was first.

I've bought 15 games this year, excluding games that have yet to come out this year.

I dont think I have ever seen someone say "this year" so many times in so short a post.

Props to you my friend.

PG2G

sangreal said:
Speaking of Forza 2..

Does anyone know if it was shown here? It certainly sounds like it

PGR has car damage. The only thing that makes it sound really Forza-ish, is the whole decal thing. I'd probably assume he is talking about PGR3.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??? RIDGE RACER COMING TO 360???

*starts a new thread, then has a heart attack*

Mrbob

ohmy6ss.gif

moneyken6yv.jpg

itagakisan8je.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Jonnyram

SolidSnakex said:
I'm talking about worldwide.
Then please stop. We're all talking about Japan, the place where MS needs to do most work. Ridge will help the 360 in Japan in a big way... 360 won't need that help in the West :p

sangreal

PG2G said:
PGR has car damage. The only thing that makes it sound really Forza-ish, is the whole decal thing. I'd probably assume he is talking about PGR3.
PGR3 has no customization outside of paint, IIRC

edit:
XC: In PGR2 gamers could only change the color of their car. How will players be able to customize their cars in PGR3?

BC: As always, the PGR series is about racing, rather than customisation. We want the focus of the game to be you, your progress and your Kudos rather than what material you're using in your suspension springs. So as gameplay is our key feature, PGR3's customisation comes in the gameplay – but as to what that's all about, you'll have to wait and see!

Top Bottom