• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN | Starfield Feels like Xbox's Last Chance at Redemption

TrueLegend

Microsoft did. Redfall was their "one more thing" announcement in 2021.
And nearly everyone was like 'really that's your one thing'. General audience reaction has always been of confusion around this game... people were like is it coop shooter like left for dead, is it single player and then devs said it was like far cry and people were confused as f... the marketing was all over the place.

Everyone was like fine it's arcane, I might give it a try. Hell deathloop which got 10/10 by many outlets was given a little fuck. Some people love arcane but arcane lovers are a very small group. If not for dishonoured most people, and especially casual gamers gave zero fuck about this game. This game had zero mass anticipation. More people play age of empires than Hi Fi rush which was so critically acclaimed. Redfall is a critical failure but it doesn't affect finances of xbox by much. And Xbox is about engagement and number. This is not a defence though of their utter failure in AAA space but to draw home the point that Redfall was never the saviour.

feynoob

Banned
No Man’s Sky has copped a lot of flack. Starfield did too when we last saw it. Star Citizen as well but for different reasons, and then there’s been a bunch of indie space games that have been neglected. There isn’t a whole lot of others to talk about.

I’d call that niche.
No mansky sold 10m. That is not a niche.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
And nearly everyone was like 'really that's your one thing'. General audience reaction has always been of confusion around this game... people were like is it coop shooter like left for dead, is it single player and then devs said it was like far cry and people were confused as f... the marketing was all over the place.

Everyone was like fine it's arcane, I might give it a try. Hell deathloop which got 10/10 by many outlets was given a little fuck. Some people love arcane but arcane lovers are a very small group. If not for dishonoured most people, and especially casual gamers gave zero fuck about this game. This game had zero mass anticipation. More people play age of empires than Hi Fi rush which was so critically acclaimed. Redfall is a critical failure but it doesn't affect finances of xbox by much. And Xbox is about engagement and number. This is not a defence though of their utter failure in AAA space but to draw home the point that Redfall was never the saviour.
Considering the recent flops of co-op games, it was never going to be a successful game. And like you said, arkane games are nichie and dont really sell a lot.

Great developers, but limited to their skills. I wonder if they can reach the same high as Ninja theory, considering MS can give them the budget to make the games that they like.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
One thing I do know is if it is shit, I’ll probably be selling my Series X. Picked up a Switch last week for ToTK, and would be more than happy to have that and Ps5 as my consoles. If Phil doesn’t really care about games on the Xbox, I don’t think I will either.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I feel sorry for anyone who bought an Xbox Series console and thought Hellblade 2, Fable, Avowed, Perfect Dark and Everwild were close in 2020. The market has spoken on the Xbox brand.

One thing I do know is if it is shit, I’ll probably be selling my Series X. Picked up a Switch last week for ToTK, and would be more than happy to have that and Ps5 as my consoles. If Phil doesn’t really care about games on the Xbox, I don’t think I will either.

I said it before and i'll say it again : i'm one of those customers, after 2+ years of owning an XSX i just couldn't anymore, sold it, got a PS5 and i couldn't be happier since - what do you know - good games sell systems/are actually enjoyable.

In the 2+ years that i owned the XSX i played...retro-compatible games, enough indies to last me a lifetime, 3 hours of MS flight sim, played through the mediocrity that was Halo infinite, didn't touch the Forza games since i'm not a racing fan aaaand...that was pretty much it.
It's a shame since MS started SO well but lost steam soon due to the promised/fabled AAA no show, people like me just got tired of all the PR speak/bullshit and constant drought.

it's simple, there are happy and then there are unhappy customers when it comes to...anything really, when you stop being happy with a company and their product you stop supporting them and/or jump ship, it's really, really, really that simple

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I said it before and i'll say it again : i'm one of those customers, after 2+ years of owning an XSX i just couldn't anymore, sold it, got a PS5 and i couldn't be happier since - what do you know - good games sell systems/are actually enjoyable.

In the 2+ years that i owned the XSX i played...retro-compatible games, enough indies to last me a lifetime, 3 hours of MS flight sim, played through the mediocrity that was Halo infinite, didn't touch the Forza games since i'm not a racing fan aaaand...that was pretty much it.
It's a shame since MS started SO well but lost steam soon due to the promised/fabled AAA no show, people like me just got tired of all the PR speak/bullshit and constant drought.

it's simple, there are happy and then there are unhappy customers when it comes to...anything really, when you stop being happy with a company and their product you stop supporting them and/or jump ship, it's really, really, really that simple
Is this your 1st PlayStation? Or at least 1st PlayStation in recent times?

Which PS games have you played yet and which games have you enjoyed the most/least?

Wait, we're angry at xbox now? They just want us to enjoy video games, if you wanna be angry about a MS product hate on Excel and Word, that shit is way worse than dx12

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Is this your 1st PlayStation? Or at least 1st PlayStation in recent times?

Which PS games have you played yet and which games have you enjoyed the most/least?

Hey Heis, no the PS5 isn't my first PS console brother, I had all the PlayStations (minus the 1st one since I was a PC gamer back then) and Xboxes, also had most Nintendo consoles and Sega ones.

Skipped the XONE generation due to the TV TV TV and being lower spec than the PS4 thing and jumped right back in 2020 with a XONE X due to the backwards compatibility program since I was jonesing for some Ninja gaiden 2, Panzer dragoon Orta etc etc.
Enter November 2020 : got an XSX (actually preordered the damn thing) since I ate all the PR bullshit about "the world's most powerful console" and the now fabled AAA exclusives which are still a no-show.
Had Gamepass, played the MS exclusives that I missed during the PS4/ONE era (Ryse,Quantum Break etc), played my indie games, played again for the nth time NG2, Panzer Orta, MGS rising revengeance, Killer is dead etc, played Gears 4 and 5 and after that...the usual Gamepass fodder just to pass some time /get my money's worth out of the subscription.
I just couldn't anymore, the infinite PR bullshit and lack of AAA exclusives got to me, I surely as heck didn't spend 500+ Euros just to replay older games and indie fodder, I had enough of that, went to GameStop, traded the XSX and the rest is history.

Returnal is friggin' amazing, the atmosphere , art, sound and music are top-notch as is the gameplay, Demon's souls is a fantastic remake (plus, them graphics, loooord), finished Stray and now I have GOW Ragnarok, Horizon FW , Ghost of Tsushima, FF7Remake and Days Gone to finish.
Oh yeah, finished TLOU2 when I first got the PS5 and...I don't give a shit about the controversy, it's one of the best action-adventure games I've ever played, the action, combat options and attention to detail are still second to none - and that's a PS4 game ffs ! Naughty dog truly performed some dark magic shit by having it run on a base PS4 with those graphics, on a PS5 at 60fps it's even better obviously.

This is the thing that many people don't get : Indie and 3rd party games are "extras" and can be played on most platforms, it's the exclusives that keep you in a specific platform/ecosystem.

Cheers

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Yeah. I know what you mean.

I keep thinking it'd be a good idea to sell the Series X, and spend all the money on Playstation and Switch games. Even if Starfield is fabulous, it's one game. And one I can probably run on my PC anyway.

Really quite gutted MS have done such a terrible job. I was very pleased with the Series X when I got it... but it's just not earning its keep as part of my gaming set up.

Ozriel

M$FT
The sad thing about this is, Xbox hopes and dreams are pinned on this exclusive and they didn't even come up with the idea or start any of the development.

They bought a large publisher who was half way through making it already. Which makes it even more amusing if it flops.

How is this ‘sad’, and why would it be amusing if it flops?

I keep thinking it'd be a good idea to sell the Series X, and spend all the money on Playstation and Switch games. Even if Starfield is fabulous, it's one game. And one I can probably run on my PC anyway.

Really quite gutted MS have done such a terrible job. I was very pleased with the Series X when I got it... but it's just not earning its keep as part of my gaming set up.
When games about to come out, you sell systems lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If that’s all it took for Xbox to “fail” then Xbox wouldn’t be alive for this long.
this article is nothing more than hyperbolic BS for sake of clicks.

Also Phil needs to get away from this stupid mindset to “win”, that shit only exist in fanboy wars on internet his number one concern should be is making money, the console war nonsense has no place in actual business. He also hoping if Starfield succeed people willing to sell their PS5 in order get Xbox for this game, that shouldn’t be the goal! The goal should be people willing to buy Xbox despite also owning PS5 or Switch.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hey Heis, no the PS5 isn't my first PS console brother, I had all the PlayStations (minus the 1st one since I was a PC gamer back then) and Xboxes, also had most Nintendo consoles and Sega ones.

Skipped the XONE generation due to the TV TV TV and being lower spec than the PS4 thing and jumped right back in 2020 with a XONE X due to the backwards compatibility program since I was jonesing for some Ninja gaiden 2, Panzer dragoon Orta etc etc.
Enter November 2020 : got an XSX (actually preordered the damn thing) since I ate all the PR bullshit about "the world's most powerful console" and the now fabled AAA exclusives which are still a no-show.
Had Gamepass, played the MS exclusives that I missed during the PS4/ONE era (Ryse,Quantum Break etc), played my indie games, played again for the nth time NG2, Panzer Orta, MGS rising revengeance, Killer is dead etc, played Gears 4 and 5 and after that...the usual Gamepass fodder just to pass some time /get my money's worth out of the subscription.
I just couldn't anymore, the infinite PR bullshit and lack of AAA exclusives got to me, I surely as heck didn't spend 500+ Euros just to replay older games and indie fodder, I had enough of that, went to GameStop, traded the XSX and the rest is history.

Returnal is friggin' amazing, the atmosphere , art, sound and music are top-notch as is the gameplay, Demon's souls is a fantastic remake (plus, them graphics, loooord), finished Stray and now I have GOW Ragnarok, Horizon FW , Ghost of Tsushima, FF7Remake and Days Gone to finish.
Oh yeah, finished TLOU2 when I first got the PS5 and...I don't give a shit about the controversy, it's one of the best action-adventure games I've ever played, the action, combat options and attention to detail are still second to none - and that's a PS4 game ffs ! Naughty dog truly performed some dark magic shit by having it run on a base PS4 with those graphics, on a PS5 at 60fps it's even better obviously.

This is the thing that many people don't get : Indie and 3rd party games are "extras" and can be played on most platforms, it's the exclusives that keep you in a specific platform/ecosystem.

Cheers
You and I have similar tastes. I loved all the games you mentioned.

And I remember the pre-launch Xbox PR. Truth be told, even I got swayed for a little while.

I already had a PS4 (had skipped Xbox One; had Xbox 360), and for a while I thought, maybe I should get an XSX first and play the backlog and all these XGS games that would be coming soon, and then I'll get a PS5 ~12 months later.

But then I remembered a promise I did to myself years ago that I'd always first pick the console/platform wherever Naughty Dog is shipping. And that saved me from making that terrible decision lol.

Eotheod

Can't wait for everyone to be cheering the apparent death of a console manufacturer and the rise of one sole "main" console manufacturer. Really enjoying my $800AUD console, so good.

I'm sorry but I just can't go off and sell my XSX just because one game came out and was shit. If you really hang your gaming habits on one game, then I'm sorry you need to get some more fucking interests. That's really limiting your hobby and the potential of finding new games to play. It also removes a lot of this need for a console to "win" and instead places the value on how much enjoyment you are getting out of it.

Last edited:

SHA

They definetly have a lot of pressure to deliver a game that is at least good and that is not a bugfest.
What happened with Redfall is just adding pressure in this sense and I wouldn't be surprised with an other delay to November, but they'll try to do whatever they can to avoid missing 2023.

If Starfield doesn't deliver it won't be the end of Xbox, it's just a single game and these articles are designed to get hits out of dramas.
But a disappointing Starfield would mean that Microsoft isn't making a good return out of their 7 billions investement. So far Arkane has made Redfall and Tango has made a poor port of their PS5 game while Shinji Mikami has left.
The balance is not exactly positive.
They aren't real gamers, like Naomi Kyle, they do it to make a living, their schedule is even tight, they talk alot more than playing the game itself.

Lasha

Because the bolded isn't true. Is the GP money really going back into game development? Or is it going to the Azure team? Or is it being split amongst the other divisions within MS? We are gamers that talk to other gamers on a video game forum.

If we don't care, then the industry is doomed!

Has there been new information to prove that Microsoft isn't making money?

Topher

Gold Member
Can't wait for everyone to be cheering the apparent death of a console manufacturer and the rise of one sole "main" console manufacturer. Really enjoying my $800AUD console, so good.

I'm sorry but I just can't go off and sell my XSX just because one game came out and was shit. If you really hang your gaming habits on one game, then I'm sorry you need to get some more fucking interests. That's really limiting your hobby and the potential of finding new games to play. It also removes a lot of this need for a console to "win" and instead places the value on how much enjoyment you are getting out of it.

I don't think this is the death of Xbox and certainly am not selling mine, but let's be really clear here: this ain't about one game. Xbox first party AAA output has been a problem for years. Phil Spencer himself has admitted that on many occasions.

People dooming xbox as if it has zero games. I have both consoles and cant keep up because PS games I gotta buy outright, xbox gives me so many gamepass options I wont finish playing for the next 2-3 years how fast they arre filling up that library. Maybe it doesn't have the exclusives hype of the 360 days but there still a ton of gaming to be had. Not only did I not even try Redfall, I didnt even get what the hype is about....just another lame Left for Dead clone but with vampires. We had like 5 major releases with the same concept and about 20 indie games on sme topic, nothing about Redfall was exciting even in preview stage.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Because the bolded isn't true. Is the GP money really going back into game development? Or is it going to the Azure team? Or is it being split amongst the other divisions within MS? We are gamers that talk to other gamers on a video game forum.

If we don't care, then the industry is doomed!

If they think there's enough money coming in from that division that they can siphon it off to other departments, that usually means it's earning well. But more importantly, why does it matter if MS is splitting the money they get from GP or the gaming division into Azure? Ultimately they're the parent company and they can divvy up resources as needed.

Just being 'successful' isn't a sure sign of anything either, we see so many reports of X company terminating thousands of employees just days after reporting their most profitable quarters.

Anyway, Starfield's gonna be fine y'all. Todd the bodd's on it.

Last edited:

RIPN2022

Honestly, he's not wrong. The damage done to Xbox at this point during this gen will have lasting effect, but it feels like if Starfield sucks for any number of reason, the brand itself will be damaged in a way that I don't know how they will shake it off, for this gen or for any other.
Its an AAA Xbox exclusive, marketed to be a major space RPG. Xbox can't get another flop, after Halo, Gears, Redfall..... they are losing momentum and they know it. Sony has been launching hit after hit for the past 10+ years. The Series X has still yet to get an exclusive title that actually jumps out to players.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
When games about to come out, you sell systems lol
Depends on the money people have. I would never sell a console I own. But some people do not want to have something that they do not use. I prefer to hoard stuff. For the Xbox Series X. If there is no AAA worth it until Starfield, due for in 4 months. And the people unhappy with it already have a good PC. Then it can make sense. Not for me, but them. I may buy a Xbox for Starfield if the S version is not too ugly. But I doubt it. Will probably get a good PC instead.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Its an AAA Xbox exclusive, marketed to be a major space RPG. Xbox can't get another flop, after Halo, Gears, Redfall..... they are losing momentum and they know it. Sony has been launching hit after hit for the past 10+ years. The Series X has still yet to get an exclusive title that actually jumps out to players.

ps4-knack.gif

Nautilus

Banned
Nintendo and Sony both are releasing hit after hit. MS is really in a bad position. If Starfield isn't at least great, this will be a shitshow

RIPN2022

I just hope Microsoft learned from Redfall and won't release Starfield if it isn't ready. I'm playing the hell out of Everspace 2 right now because I just love games with spaceships and such. So Starfield is highly anticipated. But I would rather play a great Starfield in 2024 then a shitty Starfield in 2023.

Hopefully Microsoft has hired new internal reviewers because their reviewers that gave Redfall double digit scores reviews over external reviewers.......kinda suck.
They delayed it numerous times now. I don't think further delays will help now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A sad existence this is for covering Xbox right now.

I'm mildly interested just because I can play it on PC but to repeat myself, show me Elder Scrolls because that kind of still has cache with me.

RevGaming

All I see xbox fans being delusional with this thread. They think it's only Redfall lmao. Xbox has been horrible for 10 years lol.

If Starfield is bad it is over for the console's future. They're not going away in general, but will from the console market and I hope that if you're smart enough, you start buying third party on playstation TODAY, because the future of xbox's is not looking good at all.

Sales in general, bad reviews, lack of games, phil comments, bigger focus on PC and cloud, series S selling better. Common on now.

It's not redfall, it's battletoads, bleeding edge, grounded, sea of thieves, crackdown 3, ryse, redfall and a bunch of other mediocre games all you have to show up to make up with, is Halo and Gears being their weakest they've been and Forza, a car sim. Indies do not do anything at all. Hi Rush and Pentinent are tickles to the other two competitors. 20 Pentiments won't beat Spiderman or Zelda. Sorry.

Sincerely, I hope the fans wake up there is an impending coming if this showcase doesn't bring anything and Starfield looks a low 80, with optimism. They better shift ships completely if that showcases looks like their previous showcases. If it's worst I just can't imagine someone with money and a brain not jumping ships completely.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Might be a good idea to wait until their June showcase to see if theres stuff on the horizon that appeals to you.

I’m not sure I can see the sense in this hyper focus on Starfield as the ‘doom and gloom’ inflection point. It’s just one game.

For me, the real test looks more like what they show as the future of xbox this June. Of course that includes their Starfield deep dive.

Hopefully these recent missteps lights a fire under their asses to respond.

Kacho

Might be a good idea to wait until their June showcase to see if theres stuff on the horizon that appeals to you.

I’m not sure I can see the sense in this hyper focus on Starfield as the ‘doom and gloom’ inflection point. It’s just one game.

For me, the real test looks more like what they show as the future of xbox this June. Of course that includes their Starfield deep dive.

Hopefully these recent missteps lights a fire under their asses to respond.
Yep. “Wait for E3” is a meme but it’s like 3 weeks away. Microsoft knows the pressure is on them. Let’s see what they have. It needs to be a big show this year.

samoilaaa

What nonsense article. Xbox had good year in 2021 with decent quality games if not best AAA bangers like God of war.

So stop with doom n gloom
which games are those ? i dont remember them releasing a 1st party AAA game that had the same impact as god of war

Batiman

Banned
Honestly this Redfall narrative is going out of hand. Nobody expected Redfall to be a masterpiece.
For real. I seen it as smaller little title that was barely advertised. Then when reviews hit all of a sudden it’s like people seen it as the next Halo or something. What am I missing? There was no discussion about the game prior. It always looked meh

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
People dooming xbox as if it has zero games. I have both consoles and cant keep up because PS games I gotta buy outright, xbox gives me so many gamepass options I wont finish playing for the next 2-3 years how fast they arre filling up that library. Maybe it doesn't have the exclusives hype of the 360 days but there still a ton of gaming to be had. Not only did I not even try Redfall, I didnt even get what the hype is about....just another lame Left for Dead clone but with vampires. We had like 5 major releases with the same concept and about 20 indie games on sme topic, nothing about Redfall was exciting even in preview stage.
If that's what you want, why not subscribe to PS Plus? It offers even more games than Game Pass every month that are also bigger and more popular.

Top Bottom