• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JezC:EU may also force console companies to open up their platforms. Microsoft would be there day one. But Sony isn't just going to let them do that.

Err, they gotta pay Sony for the privilege tho..

If Sony is forced to open up the incentive to release on there for free grows significantly.

If you want access to a consistently large userbase that the platform holder has spent billions cultivating you pay the piper.

People expecting that for free are unhinged.

twilo99

What does it mean exactly to "open up the console" ? , will this mean i can finaly use any usb headset with xbox instead of them locking them off unless they pay the xbox tax ?

It’s about software, which in the console market means games but I wouldn’t mind seeing other utilities like web browsers, etc. being released on there as well.

Guilty_AI

What does it mean exactly to "open up the console" ? , will this mean i can finaly use any usb headset with xbox instead of them locking them off unless they pay the xbox tax ?
Means they would just become a form factor PC. So i guess you could even if you had to go through some hoops.

twilo99

If you want access to a consistently large userbase that the platform holder has spent billions cultivating you pay the piper.

People expecting that for free are unhinged.

Microsoft spend millions (or do you think it billions?)building the Windows ecosystem and that is wide open for anyone to release whatever they want and reach their whole install base.

Everyone goes to some really creative mental gymnastics to say how this is somehow different, but fundamentally it really isn’t.

Last edited:
Microsoft spend millions (or do you think it billions?)building the Windows ecosystem and that is wide open for anyone to release whatever they want and reach their whole install base.

Everyone goes to some really creative mental gymnastics to say how this is somehow different, but fundamentally it really isn’t.

The PC is defined legally as a a multi-purpose device. Consoles are not.

That's the long and short of it.

Bojji

If Nintendo and Sony said they'd refuse and leave the market if forced people would literally riot.

They won't leave the market, they love money and Europe is one of the wealthiest regions on the planet.

Everyone speculated that apple would leave the market but they are too greedy for that, hahaha.

Same goes for Sony and Nintendo if there is any truth to rumors.

Kerotan

They won't leave the market, they love money and Europe is one of the wealthiest regions on the planet.

Everyone speculated that apple would leave the market but they are too greedy for that, hahaha.

Same goes for Sony and Nintendo if there is any truth to rumors.
They won't leave the market because the EU will back track. The EU won't want to risk economic damage in these turbulent times.

Naz93

Neo Member
So they want to turn consoles into what PCs are right now, where anyone can make a store front and sell games. Essentially circumvent the PlayStation store, and not have to give a 30% cut to Sony anymore.

Pelta88

Anyone else notice how desperate these articles from Jez/WC are becoming?

"Don't buy a PS." and "Microsoft will be on PS soon." or "Just wait"

His underlying narrative seems to be... Microsoft will force PS in due course?!

Last edited:

ErRor88

Jez is wrong... everyone needs to take a step back from the ledge. Microsft said in their Windows Store blog post a few months ago that they don't want consoles treated as General computing devices...

midnightAI

May as well make it so they are all the same OS, have the same components and have the same games.

Does that mean I'll be able to buy a Ferrari with a Bugatti engine? You cant? not very pro consumer is it?
Can I buy Nike trainers (sneakers) with an Adidas logo on the side? No? pathetic
They haven't gone far enough with current court cases, Apple, can I buy the latest iPhone with Android on it? well I should be able to, actually, make that Windows 11 instead, its a computer afterall

Calverz

Gold Member
finally the eu will create platform agnosticism. The platforms wars would be over. And everyone here would live in harmony.
looking season 3 GIF

Topher

Gold Member
I would love it if consoles have the same kind of open-ness.

The problem is "open-ness" throws quite the monkey wrench into the business model that consoles are based on. Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo take on all the costs of a console and then anyone can create their own store, bypassing the manufacturer entirely. What's the incentive for those company's to even make the thing? Selling the hardware for profit since your subsidy is gone? Say hello to $1000 consoles.

Last edited:

Bojji

They won't leave the market because the EU will back track. The EU won't want to risk economic damage in these turbulent times.

Multi trillion dollar apple couldn't do anything so what some small video game companies can do?

Thirty7ven

Banned
The problem is "open-ness" throws quite the monkey wrench into the business model that consoles are based on. Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo take on all the costs of a console and then anyone can create their own store, bypassing the manufacturer entirely. What's the incentive for those company's to even make the thing? Selling the hardware for profit since your subsidy is gone? Say hello to $1000 consoles.

Insane how just a year ago everyone was against this, but with another year added of grinding through sales threads now we have so many in the Xbox camp wanting the whole industry to be turned upside down no matter the cost just so they can feel happy about the prospects of their favorite brand.

It’s a stupid fucking idea.

Fabieter

I think as long as consoles provide physical versions of all/most major games there is no case in breaking it up tho. But it's gonna be harder to argue once they drop it.

Guilty_AI

Tbf it worked for Steam Deck. You can still have a large portion of the market by making it incredibly easier to just use the manufacturer features. I know people who actively bought on GOG and went back to buying everything on Steam because running their games on the Deck was much simpler.

Last edited:
This is literally a similar nonsense argument as the ‘Xbox should buy Nintendo’…When the fuck will people realise that what the US wants, or the EU wants is irrelevant, JAPAN is its own country, with its own laws and interests and they DO NOT have to bow to American or European whims…
Nonsense 🤣 How you even write this with a straight face? You're joking right? Did you forget that the UK nearly stopped Microsoft from making a 70 billion acquisition? Every company has to abide to the law of any country it sells in 😃

Fabieter

Nonsense 🤣 How you even write this with a straight face? You're joking right? Did you forget that the UK nearly stopped Microsoft from making a 70 billion acquisition? Every company has to abide to the law of any country it sells in 😃

Ms blackmailed the uk officially. Never forget that bro. If you are big enough no country is bullying you.

Topher

Gold Member
Tbf it worked for Steam Deck. You can still have a large portion of the market by making it incredibly easier to just use the manufacturer features. I know people who actively bought on GOG and went back to buying everything on Steam because running their games on the Deck was much simpler.

Doesn't Valve make a profit on the SD hardware though? Either way I don't think we are talking about margins corporations like Microsoft or Sony would ever consider for an open system.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Doesn't Valve make a profit on the SD hardware though?
Yes but the system isn't absurdly priced either. The 256gb model is something like $100 above the price of a switch.

Either way I don't think we are talking about margins corporations like Microsoft or Sony would ever consider for an open system.
They could for the same reason as Valve as they would still have a majority market within the system, thus a huge advantage over any third parties.

Last edited:

pasterpl

If Apple /google will fold to RU I don’t see Sony being able to say no in their second biggest market.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
More third party resellers, options to resell digital content etc.

Who can say no to these kind of options. I'd welcome it.

The way it should be, if you really care about “pro consumer”

I would love it if consoles have the same kind of open-ness.

God you guys are so full of shit. Here’s an idea, the pro bono Xbox/MS faithful like you and media shills like Jez and Tom Warrior, go on social media and demand Xbox open up their console and allow us to install steam on it, GOG, you name it. And on top of that EA and Ubisoft and every third party can have their own store and bypass Xbox’s payment api.

How awesome is that? I think that’s absolutely something the coalition of the willing that the green army is should push for, and Phil Spencer is that guy so I’m sure since this is a great idea, he won’t mind seeing their revenue and profits absolutely tank, because this is after all a pro consumer move. And of course you guys would absolutely pay 2x the price of the console for that so MS would not doubt give you what you want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom