• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joaquin Phoenix will play The Joker in Origin Movie

BraveOne

joaquin-phoenix-joker.jpg

Warner Bros. has given the go ahead on Todd Phillips’ “Joker” origin film with Joaquin Phoenix closing his deal to star.

Varietyfirst reported that Phoenix was in talks to play the Clown Prince of Crime. As soon as his deal was finalized, the studio gave the greenlight to a September start date with a budget in the moderate $55 million dollar range.

Sweet Christmas

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I have no clue. I thought Ledger was going to be garbage and I was unbelievably wrong. I thought Leto was going to be bad and he was a dumpster fire.

I loved Phoenix in Gladiator. I hope he's good.

Gander

Banned
DC is like Edward Scissorhands at a balloon convention, they don't know WTF to do.

They have a perfect Harley Quinn and Wonder Woman and everything else is a question mark.

I'm just going be arrogant and say it, I would be better at organizing this universe than whomever is doing it now.

VulcanRaven

He is 43 so he might be too old to play Joker in his origin movie. Jack Nicholson was old too but he was perfect choice to play him. They should pick someone younger.

Last edited:

I love the idea of him playing the joker. I don’t like the idea of it in the current DC climate of movies. DC has been such a mess.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Can’t be any worse than Leto joker.

But isn’t giving him an origin gonna kill the mythos of his character ?

We have? Which movies other than Batman 1989?

I mean in general. Didn’t we see him with the red hood gang in Batman Arkham origins?

And while not a direct origins, in The Dark Knight his story keeps changing on how he got his scars.

Last edited:

TimFL

No hype for this whatsoever considering the DCEU is a dumpster fire and this is a quarantined experience. It‘ll hurt even more if JF gives the performance of his life cause it‘s not part of the DCEU and gone to waste.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
This would immensely capture my interest. Joaquin has been so good in just about everything he's been in.

I just hope to god if they try and bring this into the DCEU that it isn't in a way that fucks with the movie. If it's an origin story I don't think anyone from the DCEU would really need to be involved at all. As far as I know, Batman never really knew of The Joker until he was THE JOKER.

Fingers crossed. This could be great.

I just saw Justice League for the first time a few nights ago and I didn't hate it. Fight me.

Last edited:
I mean this is good casting and a dumb move.

Either it signals they are going in a new direction with the cinematic universe or in a longer and dumber shot, god help us, Leto could be revealed to be Jason Todd/Red Hood the entire time and Phoenix is the real Joker.

There is only one definitive Joker and he also played Luke ;)

Last edited:

Doom85

I think Phoenix could do well in the role, but this movie should not be happening, at least not yet. Yes, DC has a lot of great villains but a movie universe should focus on establishing and developing its heroes first. Suicide Squad happening as early as it did was fine, it gave us some insight into the government's handling of the emergence of superheroes. But like why is Black Adam not appearing in the first Shazam movie but instead his own film? That's just ridiculous, not every character needs a movie. I mean, a Black Adam solo film is happening before films of Teen Titans, Legion of Superheroes, Doom Patrol, Nightwing, etc., that just blows my mind.

DESTROYA

I’m sure he’ll do his best but not even the greatest actor can’t save shitty scripts and story lines.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I've enjoyed Phoneix in pretty much every part I've seen him play. Signs, Her, Walk the Line. No doubt he can personally pull it off.

Question is whether the DCEU can...

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Joaquin Phoenix has been good in everything I've seen him in, there's no reason for me to believe that he won't nail this one as well.

JimiNutz

Banned
This is inspired casting. I think he'll do a really good job. Good call for this not to be DCEU related as well.

Gander

Banned
Maybe this is physical bias but I've become accustom to the slender taller Joker from comics. It reminded me of a evil Abraham Lincoln almost. Phoenix is just not that guy.

But you know who is? Tom Hiddleson, who conveniently is dead in the MCU.

A.Romero

IMO there is one thing needed to do a good Joker and that's being a good actor, JP is an amazing actor.

That doesn't mean the movie will be good, though...

The Skull

Could be good, but they need someone overall guiding the movies like Kevin Feige does for Marvel, unless they do already who needs to be replaced. Say what you want about the films, but least they have a consistent tone and quality.

I honestly think suicide squad was in the top 10, well maybe 20, worst films I've ever seen and Leto as Joker was a dumpster fire.

Joe T.

I'm keeping my mind open and my expectations at rock bottom. I like Joaquin Phoenix, but would have preferred it if they went with a younger, relatively unknown actor for this particular movie.

I'm hopeful this will turn out better than Leto's version, which I initially thought would be good going by past work. I was definitely wrong on that.

What I'm hoping for at this point is that they keep Wonder Woman, keep Harley, keep Aquaman if it does all right, and then fix everything with Flashpoint in the Flash movie. That's really all they can do at this point.

Drop Affleck/Leto/everyone else.

Obviously going by the above comments this is just a one-off for Phoenix so they need to use that to recast whoever for the Joker going forward, take your time. He could set the ground work. And if not, oh well it's a one-off. Either way, Flashpoint this shit.

Gander

Banned
I just feel like he is going to try to make the character his own, which he has to do that but in some nutty direction. Like the Joker has green mutton chops or walks with a chalice and a pimp cane.

Last edited:
Isn't it crazy that Joaquin was the little blonde kid from Parenthood in the 80's?

Even then he was a great actor for his age demographic/time period considering most 80's child actors sucked.

Last edited:

Xiaoki

Most coveted role in cinema, he has the chops for it too. Leto was an abomination.
Jared Leto had the chops for it as well, but actors can only do so much with the writing and direction they are given.

Joaquin's performance will be just as bad or worse. That might not seem possible now but this is the DCEU here.

Top Bottom