• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my console (and I assume my account) banned from Live for playing Halo 4.

Are you kidding me..? Far from stealing... you walked out of the store, game in hand, without getting ringed up. WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU CALL THAT OTHER THAN STEALING. Oh yeah... I quote, "A bit shady", congrats on your upbringing.

You may have not stole from that coveted store of yours that willingly breaks street dates but with even a second of thought you should realize you basically stole a game (time) from Microsoft, a game that they have heavily invested in, and are now crying that you got caught. You are so lucky they are unbanning you.

Oh come on. The store sold him a game early: there's no reason to burn him at the stake for it. He did nothing wrong.

Given the chance to buy it early, wouldn't you have done the same? Or would you have shrugged, looked the employee straight in the eye and said "No man, this is a game Microsoft invested heavily in, they need their time"?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yes, because your can of soda is exactly like buying a video game from a store.

Screw the receipt, that isn't even the point. It is the lack of transaction in the register/POS. kneePat explains it pretty well by calling it borrowed. In terms of the store, the item was never sold. The game is currently in limbo until the 6th and magically it is sold. The clerk at the store didn't want to run a transaction as it would record that Halo was sold before the street date possibility getting the store in trouble.
I'm pretty sure a transaction happened.

dose

Just because money was exchanged that doesn't mean everything is legit. If I go into a Gamestop, give the clerk $20 and he looks away as I walk out with something from the back that's not a legitimate sale. In this case the lack of receipt matters.
What does giving $20 and picking up something while the clerk is not looking have to do with anything? That didn't happen. The guy handed money over and received the game. It's a transaction.

Ignoring a rampant issue with piracy because of false positives is also pretty fucking dumb.

what they're doing isn't stopping piracy at all. the few pirates they catch will be back at it in no time. they were never giving MS money and they aren't going to magically start. This just pissed off the consumer that was actually buying a legit product.

Point being... just because a problem exists doesn't mean it should be handled with a idiotic approach. even if that is the only option they have at the time. Microsoft is a smart company apparently. they've made a lot of money with this software and hardware stuff. they should probably use those brains to figure out a new approach.

GavinGT

Banned
Then don't do it. It's pretty simple.

Or they can fight to keep piracy from overrunning the industry while still having a method of recourse for those that were wrongfully banned to have their accounts reinstated.

what they're doing isn't stopping piracy at all. the few pirates they catch will be back at it in no time. they were never giving MS money and they aren't going to magically start. This just pissed off the consumer that was actually buying a legit product.

Even if what you're saying is true (which it isn't, categorically speaking), such actions would still serve to deter future pirates from joining the free-game party. "Oh, so you got banned and had to buy a new Xbox? I'll just buy my games, thanks."

surly

Banned
What does giving $20 and picking up something while the clerk is not looking have to do with anything? That didn't happen. The guy handed money over and received the game. It's a transaction.
Exactly. I don't know why people are continuing to argue about that point. I don't think it has much relevance. He handed over his cash - they handed him the game.

matty2Dfraud said:
This argument is just dumb. You're saying that because the pirate can go out and buy a brand new console, that MS should just do nothing. Also, you have no idea how many Halo 4 pirates have been banned.

matty2Dfraud said:
Point being... just because a problem exists doesn't mean it should be handled with a idiotic approach. even if that is the only option they have at the time. Microsoft is a smart company apparently. they've made a lot of money with this software and hardware stuff. they should probably use those brains to figure out a new approach.
It's not an idiotic approach. The idiotic approach would be to do nothing and allow the pirates to just get on with stealing software and playing it on Microsoft's network with no comeback whatsoever. Every company has issues with piracy. MS has issues with all of their software products being pirated - Windows, Office, games - all of it. It doesn't mean that they're not trying hard to prevent that though.

kneePat

Oh come on. The store sold him a game early: there's no reason to burn him at the stake for it. He did nothing wrong.

Given the chance to buy it early, wouldn't you have done the same? Or would you have shrugged, looked the employee straight in the eye and said "No man, this is a game Microsoft invested heavily in, they need their time"?

You may not believe me, but I would have asked for a receipt, and if I didn't get one I wouldn't have bought it. I don't really blame him, but I don't see how Microsoft alone is at fault. Maybe the store should have told him the risks...and hypothetically if I had bought it I would have accepted the risk associated with buying it illegitimately because I would recognize the transaction as just that.

Given the chance to buy it early, wouldn't you have done the same? Or would you have shrugged, looked the employee straight in the eye and said "No man, this is a game Microsoft invested heavily in, they deserve some more time."

The only response I can think of - had I not done the same as the OP - is this:

"No man, I have heard a lot of stories about people getting banned for playing this game early. Save a copy for me until the release date, ok?".

That would have been the safest route to take.

Still, I agree with what you wrote - the punishment here shouldn't go to the consumer ( who bought a legitimate copy and is playing it on a non-modded console ). The retailer should be the one in trouble here.

Hanmik

You may not believe me, but I would have asked for a receipt, and if I didn't get one I probably wouldn't have bought it. I don't really blame him, but I don't see how Microsoft is solely at fault and If I had bought it I would have accepted the risk associated with buying it illegitimately because I think I would recognize the transaction as just that.

He isn´t blaming Microsot.. he is blaming the store that broke the street date..

And if someone offered you Halo 4 you would decline..? come on..

kneePat

He isn´t blaming Microsot.. he is blaming the store that broke the street date..

And if someone offered you Halo 4 you would decline..? come on..

for free (like a gift)? no.

Put money down and no receipt? yes.

In the latter, I'd understand the store is aware of some risk of the transaction and I'd be weary of the risk to myself from the transaction.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ignoring a rampant issue with piracy because of false positives is also pretty fucking dumb.

What they need to do is make sure they have good procedures in place to deal with any legitimate consumers that do get caught in the crossfire, while also continuing to punish stores that break street dates and working on trying to find ways to stop piracy altogether. The alternative is allowing pirates to just get on with it, which makes no sense whatsoever.
A system that produces false positives is likely flimsy and using your hypothetical proposal, pirates could probably play pretend and get unbanned as well. Unless MS required you to send in your console to get unbanned which would be weird and stupid.

And I still stand by my belief that if there's a chance for legitimate consumers getting caught in the crossfire, it should immediately be scrapped.

Hanmik

for free (like a gift)? no.

Put money down and no receipt? yes.

In the latter, I'd understand the store is aware of some risk of the transaction and I'd be weary of the risk to myself from the transaction.

If you were gifted the game, played it and got banned.. how would you have reacted..?

kneePat

If you were gifted the game, played it and got banned.. how would you have reacted..?

How could I complain? Lol I would have no case. I wouldn't come on here and make a thread if that's what your asking.

The person put CASH down, and walked out with a game. I see many things wrong with this. For example, the store employee could pocket the cash and easily say you stole it.

You may not believe me, but I would have asked for a receipt, and if I didn't get one I probably wouldn't have bought it. I don't really blame him, but I don't see how Microsoft is solely at fault and If I had bought it I would have accepted the risk associated with buying it illegitimately because I think I would recognize the transaction as just that.

The store is at fault. Not Skel1ington. He got the game early, and it's a legitimate copy. Microsoft rightly banned him, but they also rightly unbanned him. It's a misunderstanding, nothing more. He should've gotten a receipt, but in all honesty, it probably wouldn't have stopped me, either. Space Jesus knows my store's ringed me up plenty of times telling me I could come and pick up a game a few days before release.

All this talk about the game not being 'legal' yet reminds me of the time Emma Watson was turning 18. Sure, she wasn't legal yet, but I'm people had played with her, too, already.

element

I have no idea where you're from (or where the OP is from) but it amazes me that you can't see a transaction. He went to the store, paid some money, he received the game. He didn't steal it, he paid the the price it was being sold at. That is a transaction. Whether he got a receipt or not doesn't matter one bit.
It totally matters. How can he proved he bought it? There is no record of sale outside of a fist bump or secret handshake or perhaps a head nod. In the stores eyes that game would be considered stolen or missing right now, since the inventory says they have X copies, but they don't physically have those copies anymore. Considering people go to jail for stealing games, you think you would want to protect yourself.

I'm pretty sure a transaction happened.
how do you prove it? what prevents the clerk from pocketing the money and just telling the manager it was stolen? what if you want to return it or your disc is defective? I guess you could consider it a barter transaction, but you are putting yourself in serious liability. Pretty much the clerk didn't want a record of breaking the street date cause their punishment is far more serious thank getting their XBL account banned.

surly

Banned
A system that produces false positives is likely flimsy
So I shouldn't use an antivirus product because all antivirus products can have issues with false positives? That makes those products "flimsy"?

pizzaroll said:
using your hypothetical proposal, pirates could probably play pretend and get unbanned as well
It's not hypothetical. MS do unban people if they can prove that they bought a game legitimately. You can provide evidence of that if you are a legitimate consumer.

Again, the alternative is to do nothing and effectively send out a message saying "we don't give a shit about piracy!". That would make people do it even more. Worse for business, which ultimately means worse for legitimate gamers too in the long run.

kneePat

The store is at fault. Not Skel1ington. He got the game early, and it's a legitimate copy. Microsoft rightly banned him, but they also rightly unbanned him. It's a misunderstanding, nothing more.

All this talk about the game not being 'legal' yet reminds me of the time Emma Watson was turning 18. Sure, she wasn't legal yet, but I'm people had played with her, too, already.

The store IS at fault, but they are the only ones that covered their asses and therefore should be the ones that "get away" with this. Hopefully, they don't but I don't see how the store has less of a case than OP.

GavinGT

Banned
The store is at fault. Not Skel1ington. He got the game early, and it's a legitimate copy. Microsoft rightly banned him, but they also rightly unbanned him. It's a misunderstanding, nothing more.

I absolutely waited until her 18th birthday to spank it. I threw my own mini-birthday party for her.

A system that produces false positives is likely flimsy and using your hypothetical proposal, pirates could probably play pretend and get unbanned as well. Unless MS required you to send in your console to get unbanned which would be weird and stupid.

And I still stand by my belief that if there's a chance for legitimate consumers getting caught in the crossfire, it should immediately be scrapped.

Actually, a detection system that works for 9,999 out of every 10,000 people is considered anything but flimsy.

Wallach

What they need to do is make sure they have good procedures in place to deal with any legitimate consumers that do get caught in the crossfire, while also continuing to punish stores that break street dates and working on trying to find ways to stop piracy altogether. The alternative is allowing pirates to just get on with it, which makes no sense whatsoever.

If your system of protection against piracy has essentially equal opportunity to punish both regular consumers and pirates, your system is pretty fucking garbage at dealing with piracy. The fact that it both continues to be rampant even in the twilight years of the console and also continues to incorrectly hit folks that are actually willing to pay you for product should be perfectly clear evidence of that.

The actual problem with the situation in the OP is only between Microsoft and their distribution/retail partners. There is no excuse for a consumer getting fucked because of their failure to address those problems. Absolutely zero.

Hanmik

How could I complain? Lol I would have no case. I wouldn't come on here and made a thread if that's what your asking.

but you got a game for free (from someone) you put it in your machine. You play it. Next time you turn on your X360 your account is locked and the machine is locked. And you would not complain..? Why ..? you just lost 100 of dollars of stuff because you played a game..? what is wrong here..?
So if a mother goes to the same store as OP, and buys Halo 4 for her son as a bithday gift (because he asked for it), and his stuff gets locked... nah nevermind.. you will never see it any other way..

The store IS at fault, but they are the only ones that covered their asses and therefore should be the ones that "get away" with this. Hopefully, they don't but I don't see how the store has less of a case than OP.

It's just one damned game. If I were Microsoft, I'd be happy he actually bought it instead of pirating it.

It's a legitimate copy in the way that, say, a copy that falls off the back of a truck is a legitimate copy. Which is to say I don't think it's a legitimate copy at all, regardless of the fact that he gave money for it. If the store gives it to you on the premise that they'll actually ring you up later, you can't be unaware of that being a sketchy transaction. If indeed the word you yourself use to describe it is "shady," you don't get to call that a legitimate transaction. I'm not even saying I wouldn't do that in his place, but no unaware consumer has been hurt here.

surly

Banned
The actual problem with the situation in the OP is only between Microsoft and their distribution/retail partners. There is no excuse for a consumer getting fucked because of their failure to address those problems. Absolutely zero.
How can MS ensure with 100% certainty that no store anywhere in the world sells a game before the street date? It's not like they're not trying.

Some of you idealists are clueless to how the real world works it seems. You think you could lock your system down so there's never any piracy at all, or figure out a way of ensuring that not 1 single copy of a game is ever sold early. lol. But meanwhile, back in the real world, a huge issue with piracy exists that must be addressed.

Hanmik

Yup, if they catch you on your way home. Of course, you don't need to keep it afterwards.

but what if you walk into a big building with several shops in it, go to a wending maching and buy a soft drink.. you will not get a reciept there.. ahh ok they wouldn´t be that hard on you.. just saying, that it´s a pretty harsh law..

Acageron

Damn, is Microsoft the only one who does this?

I don't ever recall Sony outright banning a system, even for homebrew. Or has that changed? Nintendo?

On topic, sorry to hear that OP. I hope you can work this out with MS.

GavinGT

Banned
Damn, is Microsoft the only one who does this?

I don't ever recall Sony outright banning a system, even for homebrew. Or has that changed? Nintendo?

On topic, sorry to hear that OP. I hope you can work this out with MS.

Amazon does this with Kindle. Nintendo can't do it because they can't detect it. Sony hasn't done it because it was never a widespread problem. Also, with recent discoveries, they may be unable to detect it in the near future.

kneePat

but you got a game for free (from someone) you put it in your machine. You play it. Next time you turn on your X360 your account is locked and the machine is locked. And you would not complain..? Why ..? you just lost 100 of dollars of stuff because you played a game..? what is wrong here..?
So if a mother goes to the same store as OP, and buys Halo 4 for her son as a bithday gift (because he asked for it), and his stuff gets locked... nah nevermind.. you will never see it any other way..

What is it that you want me to see? That an accident can happen. Just because I wouldn't complain...that doesn't take away her right to complain. I was talking about myself, and you bring up the mom who doesn't know better that...1) takes a game for free 2) doesn't ask questions 3) gifts to son 4) gets banned 5) complains. Am I supposed to sympathize with your new found scenario? You are asking a lot of me with every additional post, and while I understand her situation and hope that justice is served it has nothing to do with me.

As I said, if I knowingly took a game for free that got people playing it early banned and got banned for doing the same, I wouldn't complain. Yes I may be upset, mad, ask Microsoft to unban me if I felt my copy is legitimate (here is where I'd hardly have a case), but no I wouldn't complain (bash MS in this scenario).

Again, I don't deny her the right to complain but you were asking me if I would complain in a different scenario. And I said no. What other side to this is there? oh... the side where the mother's son gets banned and I have to look out for her. OK.

So you're saying the shop had stolen goods? Because that's what you're suggesting by comparing it with goods from the back of a truck.

I'm saying it's not substantially different. The shop has copies, he gave money to a guy, and he has the game. He did it on the premise that the store will acknowledge it as his copy later, but they won't right now.

Someone along the line there is doing something shady and he's not unaware of that. That's why I take issue with people saying it's a legitimate copy.

Wallach

How can MS ensure with 100% certainty that no store anywhere in the world sells a game before the street date? It's not like they're not trying.

Some of you idealists are clueless to how the real world works it seems. You think you could lock your system down so there's never any piracy at all, or figure out a way of ensuring that not 1 single copy of a game is ever sold early. lol. But meanwhile, back in the real world, a huge issue with piracy exists that must be addressed.

You can't. There's no idealism in my post at all. The point is that no consumer should ever get fucked as a result of your chain's inability to meet its own goals. A copy of a game being sold early should matter to nobody except the store that sold it and the folks that shipped that store those copies; there's no excuse for passing the buck onto your consumer base.

This huge issue with piracy has fuck all to do with what's going on here, really. A consumer couldn't "false positive" like this once street date passes, because this system doesn't look for pirated copies. If it did, they wouldn't have to whitelist people they already know they sent non-pirated copies to. It doesn't serve to address piracy whatsoever.

Hanmik

What is it that you want me to see? That an accident can happen. Just because I wouldn't complain...that doesn't take away her right to complain. I was talking about myself, and you bring up the mom who doesn't know better that...1) takes a game for free 2) doesn't ask questions 3) gifts to son 4) gets banned 5) complains. Am I supposed to sympathize with your new found scenario? You are asking a lot of me with every additional post, and while I understand her situation and hope that justice is served it has nothing to do with me.

As I said, if I knowingly took a game for free that got people playing it early banned and got banned for doing the same, I wouldn't complain. Yes I may be upset, mad, ask Microsoft to unban me if I felt my copy is legitimate (here is where I'd hardly have a case), but no I wouldn't complain (bash MS in this scenario).

Again, I don't deny her the right to complain but you were asking me if I would complain in a different scenario. And I said no. What other side to this is there? oh... the side where the mother's son gets banned and I have to look out for her. OK.

No I´m just asying not all people know about Street dates..

kneePat

So you're saying the shop had stolen goods? Because that's what you're suggesting by comparing it with goods from the back of a truck.

Imagine if you made software that couldn't be sold till a certain date, but in fact was sold early. How do you make sure that money goes to you? That the company doesn't file insurance claims on "stolen" goods? That people don't pirate that product before public release? That stores don't overcharge/undercut their competition by releasing early? That the store didn't pocket that money by not having receipts? How do you honor warranties to innocent customers? How do you report sales without receipts, or even taxes? You can't just be so obtuse about it. The store may have obtained the goods legitimately, but they didn't sell them legitimately hence the goods are stolen just the same to you, the software maker.

BigDug13

Side question:

Why didn't they release another awesome Crackdown game with the preorders of this one?

(love Crackdown, not so much Halo....)

Acageron

Amazon does this with Kindle. Nintendo can't do it because they can't detect it. Sony hasn't done it because it was never a widespread problem. Also, with recent discoveries, they may be unable to detect it in the near future.

I see. Though, of the big three, it does seem to be mostly a MS thing. Thanks for the info!

That's pretty shitty of MS to do that. They should at least contact you first before putting down the ban hammer.

I mean, what if whilst shopping the wife notices that a shop is selling Halo 4, knowing I'd like it, she gets it. She knows nothing about the game or anything about street dates as she's not a gamer. Then before I get home, decides to pop it in for a quick game with my daughter, banning my XBOX.

Fuck that.

GavinGT

Banned
That's pretty shitty of MS to do that. They should at least contact you first before putting down the ban hammer.

I mean, what if whilst shopping the wife notices that a shop is selling Halo 4, knowing I'd like it, she gets it. She knows nothing about the game or anything about street dates as she's not a gamer. Then before I get home, decides to pop it in for a quick game with my daughter, banning my XBOX.

Fuck that.

Then you go through the proper channels and get it unbanned.

Also, I think your wife would find it pretty suspicious when they tell her she can't have a receipt for her purchase. What is this, a back-alley abortion?

element

Fuck that.
If the store told your wife "I can only take cash, since I can't actually ring this up on the register because I'm not allowed to sell it. Is that ok?" Do you think she would buy it still?

This is a store problem and a case of common sense for the consumer.

Every store that people typically buy games in has the SKUs locked in the system to actually prevent them from being sold. So the chances that some random person is walking into a store and buying (meaning buying it like any other game, receipt and all) is rare if not remote. This comes down to clerks and stores putting all the liability on the consumer.

kneePat

Fuck that.

But waifu got no receipt? Guess its ok for waifu to be stupid and give shady guy behind counter cash money and walk out store with game with no way to return, exchange, etc. I mean the guy could have sold waifu a box with halo cover art with nothing inside, right? Real anti consumer.

People are acting like the game released and he got banned. He played it before the release date and Microsoft did what they do to combat what could have been a pirated copy. Why is that so hard to understand? They're going to unban him since he has an actual copy yet people are acting like its such an outrage that this happened and MS should do away with their pirate protection. Hell he should be so lucky that its going to be fixed when he has no receipt.

Erasus

Holy shit GAF being GAF

Broken street dates are not going to loose devs their jobs, jesus the store still has to report sold copies, they just do it at the officiall date

Mendrox

I see. Though, of the big three, it does seem to be mostly a MS thing. Thanks for the info!

PSN Bans were a fake guys. Seriously nobody was banned from PSN because of the whole jailbreak thing, get your facts straight and no shitty sites like this. FYI. :)

GavinGT

Banned
Holy shit GAF being GAF

Broken street dates are not going to loose devs their jobs, jesus the store still has to report sold copies, they just do it at the officiall date

But it can potentially cost retailers jobs. Best Buy plays by the rules, and in doing so they will now sell fewer copies of Halo 4.

And doing away with piracy prevention, as some have suggested, could definitely cost some developers their jobs.

PSN Bans were a fake guys. Seriously nobody was banned from PSN because of the whole jailbreak thing, get your facts straight and no shitty sites like this. FYI. :)

I guess countless sites on Google are telling the same lie, then.

Top Bottom