• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my console (and I assume my account) banned from Live for playing Halo 4.

Interfectum

Oh this gets even better!

The OP posts on another forum that I and a friend of his belong to and apparently MS auto renewed his LIVE account while banned and charged his credit card.

lol

They ban him and charge him for XBL anyway and he goes out and buys a new Xbox. Hard to feel bad for the OP when he does that.

Green Yoshi

But at the same time I see the OP went and bought another. Why?

I think you can unban the gamertag but the console will be banned forever. If you were a journalist that reviewed Halo 4 you had to tell Microsoft exactly the number of your console to not get banned. It would be better to ban only consoles that were modified and that obviously play a illegal copy of the game.

I agree that everyone's alarm should go off if a retailer won't give you a receipt. That certainly sounds very fishy.

But that's not the point here: When MS first banned him, they didn't know anything about all that. They just assumed that he's playing a pirated copy and banned him - after the game has already gone out to retailers, so there was a high probability that he was playing a legal copy from a retailer who broke the street date. And that's just something no customer should care about or even be punished for!

They banned and unbanned many people according to Frankie. Why is the OP so reluctant to call Microsoft support? He's hoping Frankie does it for him, and when Frankie didnt he just gave up. Why? Call support and get it unbanned as others did. If you bought the game, have a receipt, get banned, and they refuse to unban you, then you call a lawyer and you kick Microsoft's ass.

jcm

So how should they sort out who's being legit and who's being a pirate?

They should only allow whitelisted consoles to connect to the servers before release.

They banned and unbanned many people according to Frankie. Why is the OP so reluctant to call Microsoft support? He's hoping Frankie does it for him, and when Frankie didnt he just gave up. Why? Call support and get it unbanned as others did. If you bought the game, have a receipt, get banned, and they refuse to unban you, then you call a lawyer and you kick Microsoft's ass.

Why are you ignoring the fact that there's another poster in this thread who is trying to show his receipt to MS, and they don't give a shit?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Still ongoing eh? What a load. And he really did buy another unit? Talk about not voting with your wallet. I know of 2 friends who simply gave up 360 after too many hassles and each having 6 RROD consoles EACH.

Pezking

They banned and unbanned many people according to Frankie.

That alone is a horrible way of dealing with your customers. I had the game half a week early as well (along with thousands of other germans and austrians), and I'd have been furious if I got banned and they expected me to prove anything to them in order to get unbanned again.

That's why I say: Don't ban anyone, unless you are absolutely sure that you're dealing with a pirate. Bothering loyal and honest customers with that can backfire tremendously.

Zoe

That's why I say: Don't ban anyone, unless you are absolutely sure that you're dealing with a pirate. Bothering loyal and honest customers with that can backfire tremendously.

Obviously it hasn't yet. They've been doing this for years.

The_Monk

The OP posts on another forum that I and a friend of his belong to and apparently MS auto renewed his LIVE account while banned and charged his credit card.

If this is true and if it would happen to me I would be so mad with MS but so mad that I would go crazy...

and...!

Give them more money! There, I said it. That's how mad I would have been.

robotnjik

Obviously it hasn't yet. They've been doing this for years.

You are completely right. I survived 2 rrods (each time buying new console) and few days after Slim is announced I bought one (that console is now banned). I'm gold member over 4 years and spent lot on games, accessories, dlc and xbla. And now they threat me like this.
If they threat me like pirate, then, maybe I should go that way?

Pezking

That's their problem. They shouldn't risk wrongly punishing innocent customers in their fight against piracy.
That should be their first priority. Keeping the loyal, paying customers happy.

The customer is always right.

The inability of a company to prevent it's hardware from being hacked should be of no concern to their paying customers.

Also, it really doesn't sound like the best idea to risk making your loyal customers angry with you after your console has been hacked...

and purchased a new Xbox over Black Friday

Why, man, why? If a company outright screwed me over, I wouldn't go about buying more of their products, at least waiting until after the whole thing is resolved. I can understand being a Halo fan, but, damn, there are other games to play until M$ does the right thing.

DigitalOp

Banned
Seriously GAF, We need to unite for this.. This is bigger than GAF too, Pretty much any serious gamer should rally for this.

This is fucking rediculous. Forget the matter of OP, Its the actual policy that's trash, Nothing was done wrong, nobody has been hurt. This is a true slap in the face to gamers more than any other "bullshit" cause (Bad DLC, Online passes). Play a game your retailer sold early? BAN. Buy a new console. Hey, we'll charge you for Live too!!

Seriously, Im tired of gamers getting fucked in the arse regarding our hobby, Im even MORE TIRED of gamers defending their own arse getting screwed!!! Fuck the fanboyism, Console warrior syndrome.... Corporations arent your fucking friends. They don't give a shit about you, They never will give a shit about you, and if they had the opportunity... they would bleed you dry of every penny you have. Their sole purpose is to consume the economy people!!

Its rediculous, When will it be enough? If we don't stand up for anything, than nothing will be done about it and things will only get worse.

I would create a petition or some kind of visible authority but I don't know the steps. Who can point me in the right direction??

Thanks.

Mudkips

Banned
MS banning customers and then continuing to charge subscription fees for banned accounts.
Said customers going out and buying a new 360.
People in this thread defending MS.

Absurdity abounds.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
A am a thirty something casual gamer...we are not ignorant.

You're on fucking NeoGAF, you are NOT an uninformed gamer at all

They need a better system to detect it. It SHOULD be on them to do it, not just blanket ban the group. But wait, they can sell a console and content to people this way right? Fuck the consumer!

Why do people even play Xbox at this point? Well, actually nevermind... all the companies do this to us. Even Valve has fucked up (banned someone for stopping wrongful use of his credit card)...

*snip* Huh? I"m not attacking you, why lash out with name calling? I'm not even going out of my way to defense MS. Change the name Microsoft to any other company and it applies the same.

I am not calling you anything, and I am very sorry you took it that way. I said to THEM you are a sheep, that is what companies see us as, sheep to be sheared (the wool is our money in this analogy!)

piteru

Banned
Just to ask it once again since a lot of neogaf members know this things.
If I have two consoles, one with the licenses and one without them. For the console that don't have the licenses I need to be always connected on xbox live with my count. Do I violate any of the tos? Is this something bannable? Two consoles one gamertag, all purchases tied to that gamertag

If I have two consoles, one with the licenses and one without them. For the console that don't have the licenses I need to be always connected on xbox live with my count. Do I violate any of the tos? Is this something bannable? Two consoles one gamertag, all purchases tied to that gamertag
No, plenty of people have multiple consoles. There's nothing illegal about that.

It is fine for Microsoft to mass-ban people who they suspect as being pirates but part of that means taking responsibility for people who are not pirates and having a system in place to handle that.

If you are suspected of violating the terms for your XBL contract, you get abused by Microsoft, and they take your money with no recourse to get it back. If you get banned by the service, then they must repay your pro-rated service contract, even if you (knowingly or not) violated the terms.

If Comcast, Verizon, DirecTV, etc., cancel your service, then they best not charge you for the rest of the year after canceling. X-Box Live is no different.

*edit*
Doesn't Microsoft/XBL have a higher up you can get to through customer service?

Hope not, I have two consoles and 1 gamertag. One console is in my bedroom, the other is in my renovated basement downstairs. I usually play games on the downstairs console, but use the upstairs one to watch/buy/rent movies, use HBO Go, etc.

The only issue I've had was once I accidentally had the upstairs console on and turned on the downstairs console, and I got a warning about being signed in on two consoles with one username, and I think I had to like enter my username details again.

I also have downloaded games on both consoles, like say Trials Evo. It's worked without a problem. In Trials, too, it seems like everything is linked to your gamertag so all of my scores/etc are passed from console to console without an issue. Usually I'll have to use the Cloud Storage in a lot of other games to transfer saves.

plc268

It is fine for Microsoft to mass-ban people who they suspect as being pirates but part of that means taking responsibility for people who are not pirates and having a system in place to handle that.

If you are suspected of violating the terms for your XBL contract, you get abused by Microsoft, and they take your money with no recourse to get it back. If you get banned by the service, then they must repay your pro-rated service contract, even if you (knowingly or not) violated the terms.

If Comcast, Verizon, DirecTV, etc., cancel your service, then they best not charge you for the rest of the year after canceling. X-Box Live is no different.

The worst part of it all, is that time and time again Microsoft has publicly stated that people who purchased certain hyped games before their release date don't have to be worried about a ban. That it was only people with illegitimate copies (ie pirated discs) that will be banned.

But yea, Microsoft needs to own up and fix the damn issue.

piteru

Banned
No, plenty of people have multiple consoles. There's nothing illegal about that.

Thank you! I hope it's true. I have two xboxs one in my room and one in my living room( the one that I bought after I selled the older one to my friend) and depends on the situation I play in either of them. As a previous good poster said I transferred the licenses on the slim one, but I play a lot on the other one(connected on xbox live).I hope ms knows that some people have more than one xbox because if it is bannable, I think I may be done for a big time for live..

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Sorry all for my brevity. I'm currently on-site with a client for work, and can't provide many details.

As SFLUfan posted, I did originally believe I had been charged for Live; but that actually was not the case. My account still said "Gold" on Live for a few days after I believe it was supposed to expire, and I had a $15 pending charge on my CC. That said, in the end, they did not charge me, thankfully.

Will post more tonight to answer questions.

Best,
Skel1

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
And I was apparently the one who got "bitchslapped" in this thread. What a difference 5 years makes.

truly a visionary

I have a few friends with unmodded consoles, some of which are refurb replacements that have not been modified in any way and have still been banned. Microsoft is at it again. I'm all for getting rid of modders, they're the people who drove me away from playing Halo 2 long ago, but if they have collateral damage like this in doing so they should not be doing things like this.

All these people say how bad Sony is with abusing their rapidly-evaporating top spot in the gaming console biz; this is a glimpse of how much worse MS will be when they really are on top.

That alone is a horrible way of dealing with your customers. I had the game half a week early as well (along with thousands of other germans and austrians), and I'd have been furious if I got banned and they expected me to prove anything to them in order to get unbanned again.

I agree, it's a ****ing stupid way to run a business. "We're trying to protect our brand" is a terrible excuse. But I feel no pity for the OP who bought something he knew at the time he shouldnt be buying. The hint being that they couldnt give him a receipt.

Thank you! I hope it's true. I have two xboxs one in my room and one in my living room( the one that I bought after I selled the older one to my friend) and depends on the situation I play in either of them. As a previous good poster said I transferred the licenses on the slim one, but I play a lot on the other one(connected on xbox live).I hope ms knows that some people have more than one xbox because if it is bannable, I think I may be done for a big time for live..

I've done it for years. I just keep my gamertag on a usb drive and my saves in the cloud. When I travel I just bring the USB drive. As long as the person I'm visting is online, I can play whatever I want.

I smell a court case!
Nope, no court case happening here. MS could push a permanent my little pony video loop to OP's console that wipes the firmware and bricks said console and they'd be within their legal rights.

Edit: ok they'd be infringing copyright for the MLP loop, but other than that yeah.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Oh my god...whatever will we do now? Look, ignorance is no excuse for breaking the rules...it sucks but it's pretty simple.

So do you agree with EA blocking people from their Origin accounts because they got banned on their forums? They're legally able to do it, but it's an absolutely shitty thing to do, much like the situation with the OP.

piteru

Banned
Hope not, I have two consoles and 1 gamertag. One console is in my bedroom, the other is in my renovated basement downstairs. I usually play games on the downstairs console, but use the upstairs one to watch/buy/ren movies, use HBO saves.
That's what I am talking my friend(glad I'm not the only one)
Damn all the companies that make us insecure about our purchases. Damn you ms,nintendo,Sony

So do you agree with EA blocking people from their Origin accounts because they got banned on their forums? They're legally able to do it, but it's an absolutely shitty thing to do, much like the situation with the OP.

Totally different...I don't agree with either but then again I follow the rules so I don't concern myself with them.

I fucking hate it when people hide behind the whole "they're within their legal rights" bullshit. That doesn't make it right.

Oh my god...whatever will we do now? Look, ignorance is no excuse for breaking the rules...it sucks but it's pretty simple.

So if Activision updated their EULA to say that Bobby Kotick could come to your house and sodomize you any time he wants, and you agree to it without reading and then he decides to come give you buttsex, would that be ok? You'd take it with no complaints?

So if Activision updated their EULA to say that Bobby Kotick could come to your house and sodomize you any time he wants, and you agree to it without reading and then he decides to come give you buttsex, would that be ok? You'd take it with no complaints?

One can only hope you're trying to sound ignorant. Again I don't like the rule but guess what....we all have to follow rules we don't like.

One can only hope you're trying to sound ignorant. Again I don't like the rule but guess what....we all have to follow rules we don't like.
Holy shit.

Top Bottom